* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:24 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
The stand-out was, of course, the grand finale and big reveal at the end

Because NOTHING HAPPENED until then, cheap troll. Pathetic.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:24 pm 

droneriot wrote:
cheap troll. Pathetic.

So you think the overwhelming consensus among fans and critics alike is pathetic, cheap trolling? Are you fucking for real? Does Germany celebrate April 1st a week early?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:03 pm 

It is really embarrassing to see that kind of crap when every now and then I click on this thread to see what kinds of shows people are discussing. He seriously does sound like an angry YouTube commenter, getting worked up and attacking people for liking stuff he doesn't like. Come on man, you're talking about TV shows on a metal forum. Chill out.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:35 pm 

Razakel wrote:
He seriously does sound like an angry YouTube commenter, getting worked up and attacking people for liking stuff he doesn't like.

:oh shit:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:56 am 

Razakel wrote:
It is really embarrassing to see that kind of crap when every now and then I click on this thread to see what kinds of shows people are discussing. He seriously does sound like an angry YouTube commenter, getting worked up and attacking people for liking stuff he doesn't like. Come on man, you're talking about TV shows on a metal forum. Chill out.

Yeah seriously. Calling someone a troll for enjoying an episode of a TV show, and getting angry about it as well. Weird that a Trek fan would be so intolerant of others, ha.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:56 am 

GTog wrote:
I've been binge watching Enterprise on Netflix. I had never bothered to watch it when it was on, past the first few episodes. I very much like the grumpy Vulcans and their distrustful relationship with Starfleet. It seems like that's how it really would have been, after first contact. I also like how they were sure the humans would just go out and cause trouble, and yup that's pretty much what happens. :lol: At least through 2 seasons so far.

I think Enterprise is the most misunderstood Trek series. It was canned after only 4 seasons, and the final episode is not great, but it struggled when on UPN. As I understand it, this was partially due to UPN's scheduling, which had the show air twice a week, but most fans watched on a day when ratings were not recorded, so it looked like it was faring worse than it was. I don't remember where I read this.

My son and I are watching it now (a rewatch for me, first time for him), and we're enjoying it. Even the first season was better than I remembered. Seasons 2-4 are all pretty strong though, even when Archer goes fucking crazy for a while during one of them. He gets a bit unhinged for a while.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:15 pm 

The first two seasons are whatever, standard weak early-series Trek, but Enterprise is sort of like the inverse of Voyager for me. The rest of the cast are mostly fun to watch, but the captain is kind of the weakest link. Archer is just sort of bland and the dude is probably the worst actor of all the Trek captains.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:55 pm 

Me: binge Letterkenny over the course of a few nights
Also me: struggle to not laugh hysterically when a trucker from Quebec starts chatting with me

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:46 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Me: binge Letterkenny over the course of a few nights
Also me: struggle to not laugh hysterically when a trucker from Quebec starts chatting with me

Oh snap, is this what I've been looking for now that Trailer Park Boys has been complete shit for the last 5 years? Looks like Jonathan Torrens is involved too.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:20 am 

100%. Maybe not better than TPB S2-5, but massively better than that S7-10 stretch. The Shoresy chirps from S4 onward are gold.

https://youtu.be/qVWsxQUR8Us

darkeningday wrote:

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:42 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
The first two seasons are whatever, standard weak early-series Trek, but Enterprise is sort of like the inverse of Voyager for me. The rest of the cast are mostly fun to watch, but the captain is kind of the weakest link. Archer is just sort of bland and the dude is probably the worst actor of all the Trek captains.

I thought Janeway was the worst written, personally. But Archer loses some consistency at some point in either Season 2 or 3..

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:50 am 

DIS episode before last was eh, but the one tonight was pretty good.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:43 am 

Russian Doll is the first series I've binged in an entire night. I've loved Natasha Lyonne since I first saw Slums of Beverly Hills and I'm glad to say that this is easily her best work yet. It may be the best Netflix original yet, too.

darkeningday wrote:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:52 am 

Low production quality, high enthusiasm review of Star Trek Discovery S02E11 - Perpetual Infinity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7cUavglGXs

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:53 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Russian Doll is the first series I've binged in an entire night. I've loved Natasha Lyonne since I first saw Slums of Beverly Hills and I'm glad to say that this is easily her best work yet. It may be the best Netflix original yet, too.

Meh. It was alright. I don't think I would've liked it if it was longer than it was, and I dunno how they're gonna keep it up.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:21 am 

To each their own. I'm big on a few of the ideas presented and love the lead, so I admit I'm biased. What stood out most to me, though, was in how tight it all felt. There weren't any scenes with a lackadaisical sense of framing, no long drawn out shots that could've been cut in half, very naturalistic dialogue...basically, devoid of all the things I've come to hate from TV/film of an indie nature.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:29 am 

I might have to see it again. I liked the growth and character development of it, and that it had a more positive message amidst the cynical main character's attitude. The last episode seemed to clean everything up a little too neatly, and it ended less ambiguously than I thought it would. I liked the visuals and ideas though - definitely a real interesting show. The dialogue was fantastic; just wound up in really interesting conversations that revealed a lot of character and depth in a way.

I'd say BoJack is the best Netflix original though.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:42 pm 

Thought this week's Discovery was a bit worse than last week's. So much filler...

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:16 am 

Binged the 6 episodes of After Life on Netflix. Really sad stuff with a little bit of humour in it. Some might say it's a bit campy but I loved it. Well worth watching.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:06 am 

Santa Clarita Diet S3 is the weakest overall, but the episodes focusing on Abby (the daughter) and Eric (the neighbor) are great. I'd welcome a spin-off entirely of them.

darkeningday wrote:

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:32 am 

CBS put the first episode of the latest Twilight Zone revival on YouTube for free, which is nice. The Comedian is a solid episode that reminds me a bit of an episode from Rod Serling's Night Gallery. But only lightly, as both episodes dealt with a comedian failing to get laughs and finding them in a way that is ultimately unfulfilling or destructive.

This gives me some hopes for this latest revival, however, as the episode was pretty well done. I'm curious to see how well it does moving forward, but again, I'm not paying for CBS All Access. Quit locking shit behind a paywall.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:51 am 

Downed Young Sheldon first Season, the science seeker I once was until life got in the way was quite impressed, though I rooted for Georgie's indifference to living even as he keeps being outwitted by mr smarty pants small bra.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:21 am 

Star Trek Discovery effectively demonstrated that they have now so completely run out of material that they went full Seinfeld and made an entire episode about absolutely nothing. I thought it would be like "The Red Angel" two weeks ago that after 40 minutes of nothing happening, they'd throw in something to advance the plot, but nope, the episode just ended and nothing had moved the plot forward in any way. Because of that, when I tried to review it, I ended up ranting about Discovery compared to previous Star Trek for most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtxpENjum-o

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:28 am 

Just finished Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Literally what the fuck did I just watch? The first season was a corny, fun action series that felt like an attempt to remake T2 on a weekly basis with paper-thin characters and hammy dialog (so, T2) but on a TV budget. But the second season transformed the series into a freewheeling family drama, with more feelz than I was ready for and character arcs that took forever to pay off but when they did, holy wow, they hit like a freight train. Its approach to time travel was also one of the most thoughtful I've seen since, like, Primer, which again was something that I'd never in a million years think would come from a FOX TV show called Terminator.

But I'm still not sure I really liked it, because what the show turned into was not what I signed up for and not really what I wanted to see. But for once in my life I can't really argue against the people who fell in love with the show, 'cuz I definitely get them.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:01 am 

Yeah I liked it a lot back when it was airing. It made almost no lasting impression, I don't remember anything about it really, but I liked it a lot at the time.

re DIS...I didn't hate this episode, but looking at all the fanboy praise over at reddit, it's pretty nuts. Part of me wishes I enjoyed it as much as a lot of those folks seem to. Then again, people saying it's "one of the best episodes of Star Trek ever" might actually just be insane, so maybe I don't wish I shared their view.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:39 am 

Bummer. Just started on Game of Thrones. Back when it was coming out, I used to confuse it with the Hunger Games. First two episodes and it's hitting the hour mark, well I'll have to see if it lives up to the hype. Problem is the dialogues are kinda hard to hear clearly which prompts an annoying routine of rewinding. Almost like them British films where the accents make for a bad listening. Goddamn Britons. It also seems they are just as incestous as the rednecks.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:08 pm 

The newest Discovery episode is finally the first genuinely awful episode the entire series. I could barely finish it. It felt like it ran for about 12 hours and only 15 minutes or so were good.

However, you are not a troll if you liked it :P.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:13 am 

This season of Santa Clarita Diet is their best yet and if you like smart, oddball comedy and weird mythos, this is a great show. Really the kind of tone that Dexter and other shows should've gone for. Good characters and good jokes. I'm really looking forward to more, which I hadn't said after the rather average previous season.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:38 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
This season of Santa Clarita Diet is their best yet and if you like smart, oddball comedy and weird mythos, this is a great show. Really the kind of tone that Dexter and other shows should've gone for. Good characters and good jokes. I'm really looking forward to more, which I hadn't said after the rather average previous season.

I thought it was the weakest, honestly. Anything not involving Abby and Eric, or even Ethan Suplee, just felt dull to me, like the undead jokes were just retreads of better ones made from the first two seasons. It's still a good show with a great cast, and I'd love to see Barrymore and Olyphant work together more often, but it felt like it was resting on its laurels plot-wise.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:08 pm 

I'll probably rewatch the first two sometime, but this one felt like they finally got the tone right and nailed down their style. I laughed more at this one than the previous seasons and the character arcs started to really feel more dramatic and interesting, building on the other seasons like they should.

Spoiler: show
The final confrontation/villain wasn't tremendously strong but whatever, I was invested in the main characters anyway.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:39 am 

GoT is back! Pretty solid episode.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 pm 

Listen to me trying to be neutral about Star Trek Discovery for about twelve minutes until I lose my shit about this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-98ZpR9YoI

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:54 pm 

Finally watching True Detective season 2 and I'm kind of curious to see where it goes, but so far it's like a trashy airport novel compared to how seasons 1 and 3 were. Just stupid dialogue and some frankly kind of cheesy cliches so far as grimdark ultra-serious detective shit is.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:34 pm 

Hey guess what guys it's ANOTHER FUCKING ROMANCE EPISODE of The Orville, who wouldda guessed?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:12 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Finally watching True Detective season 2 and I'm kind of curious to see where it goes, but so far it's like a trashy airport novel compared to how seasons 1 and 3 were. Just stupid dialogue and some frankly kind of cheesy cliches so far as grimdark ultra-serious detective shit is.

Yeah, I rewatched this recently, too, and honestly was shocked how little of the plot I remembered. It definitely does feel more pulpy/cliched in the cop, detective and gangster-isms. It wasn't bad and did have a few pretty cool moments, but it does feel like way more standard TV than S1. None of the protagonists was anywhere near as compelling as the leads in S1, the plot was both more complex and less engaging, and the setting change to LA was a major strike against it as LA is just kind of dull and not in enough of a bleak, miserable way that feels so alien and familiar at the same time like Louisiana did in S1.

I'm really looking forward to watching S3.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:23 am 

Season 3 is a real work of art. Mahershala Ali is a damn godsend. I watched it before Season 2 because I'd heard good things in this thread actually.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:48 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Hey guess what guys it's ANOTHER FUCKING ROMANCE EPISODE of The Orville, who wouldda guessed?

You know, with that show, I think at this point, the old cliché applies that "it is what it is." Which is sad.

Because I, too, am disappointed by the direction they have gone with this series and the writing. I liked it too, quite a bit at first, because it seemed like a fresh new take on the whole Star Trek premise. I like Star Trek, and I liked that this show seemed to take that idea and maybe have a bit more "fun" with it- but still create interesting story lines with some interesting characters.

But I think that was also one of the things the show was criticized for- people were like, why do we need yet another "Star Trek" remake? So, I suspect, that drove the writers to consciously change direction and move away from that idea. Rather than just make it a "new Star Trek," they decided to make it about "A Soap Opera on a Space Ship" and push the whole space adventure angle more into the background. So, while that may have carved out a whole new niche for the show, with the idea of attracting a whole new fan base, all it will end up doing in the end, I suspect, is alienating the old fan base. Like me- I don't WANT to watch a soap opera, whether it takes place on a Texas ranch, the California coast, or on a space ship. Just not my thing.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:29 pm 

Trying to make sense of the STD season 2 finale, excuse the accent...

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:24 am 

Just watched the Discovery finale as well...wow, that was shit. :(

Maybe the Picard show will find some redemption for Trek.

God, I need to stop reading the Discovery reddit. "I'm a little late to the party, but that was great. I think the best Trek yet." I'm all for letting people have their opinions, things are subjective blah blah, but come the fuck on. And I'm not some eternal naysayer, I just watched the season finale of The Magicians the other day and it made me cry, loved it...and I've enjoyed some Discovery episodes. But jesus christ this show is a mess, and the overall writing and characterization are horrible.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:26 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Just watched the Discovery finale as well...wow, that was shit. :(

Did we watch the same show? I thought it was absolutely decent, far better than the season 1 finale and I liked the way they explained the canon differences. The final shot with Pike and Spock on the Enterprise was phenomenal.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151 ... 182  Next