Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:10 pm 

You could try Dodsengel, Acherontas and Aurvandil. I really liked Dodsengel's 2nd album, Mirium Occultum, but didn't get super into any others. The newest one might be kind of what you're looking for. Acherontas is probably a good one, but I'm not terribly familiar with them either.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:12 am 

Detric wrote:
orthodox black metal. I'm looking for bands that know how to create an atmosphere before anything, by for example using church bells, mantras, speeches, movie dialogues, hymns, gregorian chants

Some of these have some death metal influence. Hard to exactly interpret the request, so I'm just posting stuff I think is scary, kind of grand, bm, not necessarily the more narrow "orthodox" scene. Atmospheric without being atmoblack, in other words.

Seconding Acherontas
Aevangelist (check out De Masticatione; the band puts atmosphere first even to a fault. But it's great!)
Akhlys/Aoratos/Bestia Arcana/Nightbringer
Malthusian - Across Deaths (lotta dm; in particular the track "Primal Attunement" has violins and spooky shit)
Mare - Ebony Tower (grand, chanting type vocals)
Cultes Des Ghoules
Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise
Svartidauđi, Sinmara, Wormlust, Misþyrming (I think the Icelandic stuff is pretty good these days, a kind of psychedelic/atmospheric take on the dissonant stuff, sometimes).

Idk, it's a hard request, hopefully some of these are new to you! Otherwise some more direction could help to refine the recs.

Detric
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:37 am 

Thank you so much guys. I will listen to all of this when I get home tonight.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:33 am 

Lately I've been listening to Nokturnal Mortum's album Голос сталі (their 2009 release) a lot, and to a lesser extent, to Bathory's Blood Fire Death. I was looking for more pagan black metal albums with an epic vibe, similar to what is going on on these albums. Nothing too melodic or that sacrifices the black metal elements for something else like orchestrations.

Thanks in advance :)

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:01 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Lately I've been listening to Nokturnal Mortum's album Голос сталі (their 2009 release) a lot, and to a lesser extent, to Bathory's Blood Fire Death. I was looking for more pagan black metal albums with an epic vibe, similar to what is going on on these albums. Nothing too melodic or that sacrifices the black metal elements for something else like orchestrations.

Kroda's first album Cry to Me River may be the thing for you: heavily influenced by both Bathory and NM, it has plenty of riffs and great folk arrangements that complement them

The only negative thing on that album is a not so great drum machine, but it's not hard to endure with riffs that good :)

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:37 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:

There's Havukruunu from Finland. Very epic, but also built heavily on riffs. Just really awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExR1coAaSKw

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:30 pm 

Can anyone recommend any "black metal guitar instrumentals"? I love those little interludes in otherwise extreme albums, where we have very melodic playing going on. I'm also curious as to who began the trend of doing so? The earliest I can think of is Burzum with "The Crying Orc", recorded in January 92.

Anyway, these are the ones I am aware of. They can include vocals and drums, but the focus should be the guitar playing

Burzum - The Crying Orc https://youtu.be/l4wSqSKvYjg
Burzum - Naar himmelen klarner https://youtu.be/fy95pH_UIy8
Satanic Warmaster - Rain Falls https://youtu.be/g80sDgiSqIc
Isengard - Gjennom skogen til blaafjellene https://youtu.be/j9VyxF0d9gY
Inquisition - Hail the Cult https://youtu.be/h96ysSxEyFI

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:00 pm 

If you wanna overdose on them Aäkon Këëtrëh 's Dans la Foret demo it's non-stop 22 minutes of guitar instrumentals of that kind :)

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:16 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
If you wanna overdose on them Aäkon Këëtrëh 's Dans la Foret demo it's non-stop 22 minutes of guitar instrumentals of that kind :)

Thank you! I had never heard of them, and that release is exactly what I needed in my life.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:30 pm 

I'll also recommend you mescalin massacre's liquid - soma - death as well as his other project svartedauden (only release was reissued under the leraje monicker "occulta epiphania tenebrae"). amazing black stuff, wholly instrumental.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Steel_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:57 pm 

Detric wrote:
Hello dear metal heads. You are my last hope. I have been searching for a long time for a specific sound within the black metal genre but it seems harder than I thought. I'm not an expert to be labelling bands and so on but I guess we can call it orthodox black metal. I'm looking for bands that know how to create an atmosphere before anything, by for example using church bells, mantras, speeches, movie dialogues, hymns, gregorian chants etc. to make their sound even more complete and frightening. I'm searching for bands that will genuinely scare the shit out of me when I listen to them without necessarily having my ears drowned in blast beats and non stop screaming. I will list some records below that managed to send shivers down my spine and hope that some of you experts can recommend something along that road. Thank you guys.

Deathspell Omega (Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice)
Funeral Mist (Salvation)
Ondskapt (Draco Sit Mihi Dux)
Sigrblot (Blood Religion Manifest)

Sorry for the late reply... You should try Mayhem's 'Ordo Ad Chao' album. It's my favourite black metal album and it has loads of atmosphere. But beware, this album is really experimental towards songwriting and riffing. So there is always a chance that you won't like it. But if you're openminded and like challenging music, be free to try it out ;)

Another album I really enjoy that has a lot of atmosphere and spoken passages is the latest album by French duo Spektr. This is however instrumental industrial black. The thing that comes closest to vocals are those spoken passages I told you about. I'd say: try it out ;) Also not sure you'll also like this one...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:16 am 

No bells or whistles, but Abominor's Opus: Decay is like spiraling down into hallucinatory madness.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:35 pm 

miskatonic79 wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm looking for super obscure, hypnotic black metal. Atmosphere, melancholy, emotion.

How's this? Funeral Rites from Japan.

This rules!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:50 pm 

miskatonic79 wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm looking for super obscure, hypnotic black metal. Atmosphere, melancholy, emotion.

How's this? Funeral Rites from Japan.

No, sorry

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:22 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Thinking of Celeste; but you certainly know them.

Maybe try these (all have doomy overtones)
Strid
Verdunkeln
Lurker of Chalice
Fordomth

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:34 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:

Thinking of Celeste; but you certainly know them.

Maybe try these (all have doomy overtones)
Strid
Verdunkeln
Lurker of Chalice
Fordomth

Familiar with all of these, yet thank you.

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:30 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Brouillard

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:06 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Familiar with all of these, yet thank you.

I had to give it a thought; maybe you don't know Vhernen? It's what you're after, I think.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:52 pm 

raumr wrote:
Burzum - The Crying Orc https://youtu.be/l4wSqSKvYjg
Burzum - Naar himmelen klarner https://youtu.be/fy95pH_UIy8
Satanic Warmaster - Rain Falls https://youtu.be/g80sDgiSqIc
Isengard - Gjennom skogen til blaafjellene https://youtu.be/j9VyxF0d9gY
Inquisition - Hail the Cult https://youtu.be/h96ysSxEyFI

Something you likely already know but Judas Iscariot had a song like that on almost every album.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 am 

Hi,

I'm looking for raw, underground, lo-fi black metal that sounds truly haunting. Keywords: Occelensbrigg, Spiral Staircase, Ilmestys.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:28 pm 

Based on your location it probably doesn't make much sense to recommend Bestial Summoning and Bhaobhan Sidhe, but I'll do anyway. Also Funereal Moon from Mexico.

deripaska
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:28 pm 

I opened an entrance of metal genre for myself when I discovered burzum's filosofem. It was (and still is) awesome. It broke my musical taste. Then i found Darkthrone, Cannibal corpse, gorgoroth, xashtur, Mayhem. It seems like i listen to some pop sort of groups within the genre, though some songs are great like southwest passage by Stribog, for instance.

I'm saying this because I'm still haven't plunged into the genre deep enough to discuss some matters. I don't know history of it, i don't know some classical bands or albums. I want to explore it. Is there some courses, books, videos on the topic?

And of course I'm looking for recommendations. I love Transilvanian hunger (this particular song), "filosofem" and "quintessence" very much. I'm not good at describing but it should be anger cold metal dirty. Any presumptions, gentlemens?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:30 pm 

deripaska wrote:
I opened an entrance of metal genre for myself when I discovered burzum's filosofem. It was (and still is) awesome. It broke my musical taste. Then i found Darkthrone, Cannibal corpse, gorgoroth, xashtur, Mayhem. It seems like i listen to some pop sort of groups within the genre, though some songs are great like southwest passage by Stribog, for instance.

I'm saying this because I'm still haven't plunged into the genre deep enough to discuss some matters. I don't know history of it, i don't know some classical bands or albums. I want to explore it. Is there some courses, books, videos on the topic?

And of course I'm looking for recommendations. I love Transilvanian hunger (this particular song), "filosofem" and "quintessence" very much. I'm not good at describing but it should be anger cold metal dirty. Any presumptions, gentlemens?

I'll give you some random famous picks you may have already heard of and some lesser known and you can see what you like and go from there.

Immortal - Pure Holocaust and Battles in the North
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal
Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun
Judas Iscariot - To Embrace the Corpses Bleeding
Baptism - Morbid Wings of Sathanas
Marduk - Opus Nocturne
Satanic Warmaster - Strength and Honor
Behexen - By the Blessing of Satan
Endstille - Dominanz
Akitsa - Credo
Wigrid - Both albums

If you want more of a certain style, feel free to PM me.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:22 pm 

Been a while since i requested some recommendations.....so here goes, can anyone give me a list of bands that are worth knowing about right now that focus on speed/blastbeats alot? preferably ones with a few albums out too but I am up for giving a band a chance with just one or two albums out as well. I did just try Goat Torment, not bad but the drummer doesnt change his pace a great lot throughout their latest album IMO, tends to stick mostly to a semi fast speed and in a certain pattern. little disappointed

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:03 am 

mike_87 wrote:
Been a while since i requested some recommendations.....so here goes, can anyone give me a list of bands that are worth knowing about right now that focus on speed/blastbeats alot? preferably ones with a few albums out too but I am up for giving a band a chance with just one or two albums out as well. I did just try Goat Torment, not bad but the drummer doesnt change his pace a great lot throughout their latest album IMO, tends to stick mostly to a semi fast speed and in a certain pattern. little disappointed

Der Weg Einer Freiheit is pretty fast, but there's also a lot of variety in the music, and it's musically incredibly good - well, the last two albums are. There's quite a bit more there than just speed and blastbeats, but it's one of the musically strongest bands with high speeds.

VI is also very fast, and musically excellent. The music is more straight-forward, and there's more focus on fast passages and drumming, although the speeds may not be Nile level. They're satanic and more orthodox than Der Weg, if you care about that sort of thing.

Those are the best fast black metal bands to me currently. I don't know why you wouldn't like to give a band a chance if they don't have a slew of albums out. If the music is great, it's not like it was wasted effort, is it?

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:42 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
mike_87 wrote:

Der Weg Einer Freiheit is pretty fast, but there's also a lot of variety in the music, and it's musically incredibly good - well, the last two albums are. There's quite a bit more there than just speed and blastbeats, but it's one of the musically strongest bands with high speeds.

VI is also very fast, and musically excellent. The music is more straight-forward, and there's more focus on fast passages and drumming, although the speeds may not be Nile level. They're satanic and more orthodox than Der Weg, if you care about that sort of thing.

Those are the best fast black metal bands to me currently. I don't know why you wouldn't like to give a band a chance if they don't have a slew of albums out. If the music is great, it's not like it was wasted effort, is it?

I like your description of Der Weg, i will be checking them out, lots of speed, blastbeats but variety in other areas sounds appealing. Have VI got a page on here? Cant see it

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:32 pm 

VI, as in the roman number 6, with a capital i. https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/VI/123827

Hope you'll enjoy Der Weg as much as I do! I always kinda liked them, but when Stellar came out, that changed it completely.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:28 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
VI, as in the roman number 6, with a capital i. https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/VI/123827

Hope you'll enjoy Der Weg as much as I do! I always kinda liked them, but when Stellar came out, that changed it completely.

Hopefully i will, i noticed theyre another one of these bands that dont dress like a black metal musician, interesting, how do you mean changed it completely?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:57 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
Hopefully i will, i noticed theyre another one of these bands that dont dress like a black metal musician, interesting, how do you mean changed it completely?

I felt that they had stepped up their game by several levels, and what had been a band that I'd enjoyed passingly became one of my favourites.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:25 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
mike_87 wrote:

I felt that they had stepped up their game by several levels, and what had been a band that I'd enjoyed passingly became one of my favourites.

Listened to the first album earlier. Was good. Basically melodic black metal. I noticed they had a vocalist change too but it was a founding member that took over the vocals

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:05 pm 

This is probably better suited for the folk metal thread, but I think it'll get more views here...

Can somebody recommend me some blackened folk metal with a large orchestral element to it? I recently discovered Selvans, and have been listening to Lupercalia nonstop. The orchestrations add a cinematic feel to the music, and the songs feel like journeys in and of themselves. It's been a while since I've discovered a band that has caught my attention like this. I suppose similar bands would be Moonsorrow, and to a lesser extent, later Nokturnal Mortum. Even Pensées Nocturnes would (somewhat) fit the bill if their vocals and production weren't so obnoxious.

Anyhow, here's a song for those who haven't heard the band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwRz2HZukT0

p.s. most of the bands in the similar artists tab don't scratch my itch. I haven't listened to Downfall of Nur yet though.

Please and thank you!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:51 am 

battle_axes wrote:
This is probably better suited for the folk metal thread, but I think it'll get more views here...

Can somebody recommend me some blackened folk metal with a large orchestral element to it? I recently discovered Selvans, and have been listening to Lupercalia nonstop. The orchestrations add a cinematic feel to the music, and the songs feel like journeys in and of themselves. It's been a while since I've discovered a band that has caught my attention like this. I suppose similar bands would be Moonsorrow, and to a lesser extent, later Nokturnal Mortum. Even Pensées Nocturnes would (somewhat) fit the bill if their vocals and production weren't so obnoxious.

Anyhow, here's a song for those who haven't heard the band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwRz2HZukT0

p.s. most of the bands in the similar artists tab don't scratch my itch. I haven't listened to Downfall of Nur yet though.

Please and thank you!

Temnozor?

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:04 am 

I'm not getting the cinematic element from Temnozor that I've been after. Can you recommend particular songs or albums?

That said, I've been wanting to get into this band for quite some time, so I'd be happy to hear recommendations of their albums, whether or not they meet my above criteria.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:44 pm 

https://blacktribesucks.bandcamp.com/tr ... er-remixed

See, Nirvana is raw black metal.

lights_bane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:54 pm 

I'm looking for instrumental BM tracks to use as background music, as I have a hard time focusing when lyrics are present.

Here's what I already got: https://open.spotify.com/user/matheusrh ... q11pmV7Vwg

Taake - "IV" from "Nattestid..." is a good example of what I'm after, which is essentially tremolo picking and blast beats. Ideally, it should be a *song* on its own, not an intro/outro/interlude.

Occasional chanting, shrieks (i.e. Dimmu Borgir - "Glittertind"), spoken word sections (i.e. Inquisition - Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult), instrumental versions of non-instrumental songs (i.e. Dark Funeral - "Atrum Regina") are fine.

What I *don't* want are instrumental tracks that, despite coming from BM bands, are not actual BM tracks (i.e. Lord Belial - "Forlorn in Silence").

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:20 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for raw, underground, lo-fi black metal that sounds truly haunting. Keywords: Occelensbrigg, Spiral Staircase, Ilmestys.

How about Ifrinn? Pretty damn good stuff, still relatively raw (not as raw as the bands you mentioned), and has some trance-like elements to it.

My collection

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:52 am 

battle_axes wrote:
Can somebody recommend me some blackened folk metal with a large orchestral element to it? I

Please and thank you!

I Immediately thought of Aquilus, neoclassical, atmospheric black metal with a strong cinematic scope:
https://aquilus.bandcamp.com/

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:04 am 

Hello. Finishing up the demo of my project now. A sample can be heard on https://www.facebook.com/Inwidblackmetal/
This is a homage to the old days. Raw, underground, haunting black metal.

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:48 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
I Immediately thought of Aquilus, neoclassical, atmospheric black metal with a strong cinematic scope:
https://aquilus.bandcamp.com/

Good call. I know them already, but they certainly have the cinematic feel I was after (even though I don't recall much/any folky bits in their music). Thanks for the reply.

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Hello. Finishing up the demo of my project now. A sample can be heard on https://www.facebook.com/Inwidblackmetal/
This is a homage to the old days. Raw, underground, haunting black metal.

It's obviously hard to glean much from such a brief clip, but what's there sounds pretty cool.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:26 am 

Can anyone name a few spanish bm bands to me? Im sure i was told previously that there is a bit of a bm scene in spain. Heaviest/fastest possible. I listened to Teitanblood and they were amazing* sorry, think i got them mixed up with another band!

Last edited by mike_87 on Wed May 13, 2020 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207 ... 231  Next