Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:00 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I'm a little sceptical about these famous black and death metal albums being mentioned (Mayhem, Bolt Thrower) because they don't sound unique exactly, just haven't been totally paralleled as of now. Sometimes the atmosphere sticks out on a personal level, but it's difficult to tell others why.

My thing with De Mysteriis is pretty focused on the music to be fair! The riffs that Euronymous and Blackthron were coming up with were incredibly inventive (more so than all of their contemporaries who were basically just worshiping Bathory/Celtic Frost), it has a really bass heavy sound which is fairly rare in BM and then it's got that damn vocal performance on it. Attila's vocals on that record tend to split people into love it or hate it but its certainly unique and I think if you mix that in with the other stuff it does stand up as being a unique BM record.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:05 am 

dirty_harry wrote:
It has just dawned on me:
This timeless masterpiece, still misunderstood and challenging a listening experience after all those years: La Masquerade Infernale. The alpha and omega of uniqueness.

I thought about including Arcturus, but since their records have strong similarities between them, I couldn't pick an album that sticks out of their discography as unique. If anything, Arcturus as a band is quite unique.

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I'm a little sceptical about these famous black and death metal albums being mentioned (Mayhem, Bolt Thrower) because they don't sound unique exactly, just haven't been totally paralleled as of now.

Bolt Thrower fits, in my opinion. Realm of Chaos is a quite unique brand of deathgrind. I don't know any other record that sounds like it. Sure other BT albums share similarities, but if I had to pick one of their albums that really stands out as unique, it would be Realm of Chaos. I also considered throwing in Those Once Loyal in the discussion. It's a very melodic brand of death metal. It's not melodeath, it's very traditionnal death metal, but done with a modern twist that makes it really stand out. I hope more modern dm bands would take influence from Those Once Loyal.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:27 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Nuclear Death - Bride of Insect
Nuclear Death - Carrion for Worm
Nuclear Death - All Creatures Great and Eaten
Nuclear Death - The Planet Cachexial

Consistent run of absolutely unique and perfect material.

Needs more For Our Dead, but other than that I'm on board.

Perhaps.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:39 pm 

Yeah I only did full-lengths, everything else is included by implication.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:45 pm 

"Bride of Insect" by Nuclear Death is pretty unique- almost "outsider music" in it's utterly fucked up guitar sound (sounds like a swarm of angry wasps) and lyrics that are genuinely psychologically disturbing in their goriness, not just cheezy gore like a lot of bands do. I bought this album at the time because I was looking for something harsh, genuine, and underground and brutal, and liked raw noisy production, but even I found this album hard to listen to back then.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:28 pm 

PAN.THY.MONIUM Dawn of Dreams & Khaooohs, pretty unique as far as I'm aware

And I stand by Mayhem, particularly ORDO AD CHAO. Love it or hate it, tell me what else is anything like it? Maybe there's something I'm unaware of

Flem Clone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:16 pm 

I'm going to add Macabre to the discussion. Their music has a quirky, distinct personality to it. No other band really sounds like them. Albums such as "Dahmer" and "Grim Scary Tales" feature a variety of vocal styles and musical flavors.

KomaOvTrollz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:56 pm 

Devil Doll’s entire discography.

Bastarex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:13 am 

Off the top of my head:
* diSEMBOWELMENT ‎– "Transcendence Into The Peripheral"
* Lykathea Aflame ‎– "Elvenefris"
* maudlin of the Well ‎– "My Fruit Psychobells... A Seed Combustible"
* maudlin of the Well ‎– "Bath"
* maudlin of the Well ‎– "Leaving Your Body Map"
* maudlin of the Well ‎– "Part The Second"
* Pan.Thy.Monium ‎– "Dawn Of Dreams"
* Pan.Thy.Monium ‎– "Khaooohs"
* Pan.Thy.Monium ‎– "Khaooohs And Kon-Fus-Ion"
* Skepticism ‎– "Stormcrowfleet"
* Thergothon ‎– "Stream From The Heavens"
* Wound Collector ‎– "Eternal Bloodcult"

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:04 pm 

The magnificent slab of Technical Jazz Fusion Death Metal with robot-like vocoder vocals and numerous chill "hippie" interludes that is Cynic's Focus, anyone?

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:53 am 

Playing Eddie Van Halen warm-up exercises over bad David Bowie homages is not technical death metal. Or unique.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:22 am 

most anything by the following bands

Phlebotomized
Caducity
Rhymes of Destruction
Lugubrum
Fleurety
Oxiplegatz
Alchemist
Wulkanaz/Tomhet

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:30 pm 

shwartzheim wrote:
Two of my all-time favourites that most definitely fit the bill here

Ved Buens Ende – Written In Waters
Monumentum – In Absentia Christi (this one in particular is HUGELY underappreciated. Some type of atmospheric/avant/goth-doom but so much more.)

Came here to say Written. Great picks, and weirdly I got these two in the same mail-order package together from Misanthropy. RIP.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:57 pm 

Supuration - The Cube, a really nice mix of Gothic-era Paradise Lost-style death-doom with Nothingface-era Voivod-style weirdness. The two styles come together surprisingly well and it makes for a very interesting and satisfying listen. The band's other releases are worthwhile too, but this has always been my favorite album from them.

Disharmonic Orchestra - Not to Be Undimensional Conscious, this album really defies explanation. This band was always a little weird, but they really went above and beyond with this album. It's basically avant-garde/tech death, not too far off from what Gorguts would start doing a few years later - though this album lacks the dark, oppressive atmosphere they made famous and instead feels surprisingly fun and light-hearted, especially in the softer bits like the instrumental "Time Frame" and the intro to "Groove". There's also some crazy genre-jumping at times (listen to "Return of the Living Beat" if you are curious about that :)). All in all, one of my all-time favorite albums, a masterpiece beginning to end!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:36 am 

Moonspell's Wolfheart is the first album that comes to mind for me. It'd be easy to brush it off as typical goth metal but it incorporates so much from hard rock, black, doom, symphonic, and folk metal to warrant being its own thing. Not to mention the album's flow makes these different elements run incredibly smoothly.

Inspired by the Queensryche thread, I've also realized how unique Rage for Order was for its time. I love how it combines metal, prog, post punk, and industrial while still keeping a steady conceptual tone. It's dated as hell but nothing else sounds like it.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:43 am 

^ I'm really glad Moonspell re-recorded their early material, Under Satanæ is great.

dirty_harry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:36 am 

true_death wrote:
Supuration - The Cube, a really nice mix of Gothic-era Paradise Lost-style death-doom with Nothingface-era Voivod-style weirdness. The two styles come together surprisingly well and it makes for a very interesting and satisfying listen. The band's other releases are worthwhile too, but this has always been my favorite album from them.

Great album. Which reminds me of Misanthrope's both 'Totem Taboo' and '1666 Theatre Bizarre', the former being especially fucked up bizarro big time, due to the whiny vocals that work surprisingly well in the context of the whole album.

And how about my recent favourite weirdos, namely Pensées Nocturnes in their wonderful 'Nom d'une pipe!' from 2013, or Transcending Bizarre?'s 2010 opus 'The misanthrope's fable"? Or Carnival In coals's 'Fear Not' or CSSO's 'Are you excrements'?

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:35 am 

RichardDeBenthall wrote:
Ocean Machine by Devin Townsend (His solo stuff is so varied but each album kind of has it's own vibe and I don't think he ever quite returned to the vibe of this record. Damn shame because it's his best by far imo. So dense and I dunno, watery...)

I've always got a oceany vibe from this album too, like "Bastard" to me sounds like a slow moving tsunami or waves. But I have to wonder how much of that is influenced by the album cover, color, name and lyrics compared to the actual music.

If the album was a fire related concept, with the exact same music/songs, how much would that change the perception of the listeners?

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:58 am 

Aydross wrote:
I've always got a oceany vibe from this album too, like "Bastard" to me sounds like a slow moving tsunami or waves. But I have to wonder how much of that is influenced by the album cover, color, name and lyrics compared to the actual music.

If the album was a fire related concept, with the exact same music/songs, how much would that change the perception of the listeners?

Exactly. Our suggestibility makes it too easy to run with whatever associations we're given. I have the same doubts whenever I read a review saying such-and-such's instrument or vocals may seem bad, or not to everyone's taste, but it perfectly fits the music/album. Like, if history had given that album a different vocalist or drummer etc, would the reviewer have really followed suit to say that that element (now) doesn't work? I'd think in most cases, no. If we very much like the overall work or concept we tend to try to rationalize everything into the whole, making anything that might not quite fit harmonious with the rest.

Ocean Machine-Biomech is actually one of the few overtly themed albums I can think of where I don't feel the outward theme through the music. Usually i'm down for whatever an artist's packaging and titling wants to suggest for me.

nuklearkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 am 

First Misantropical Painforest album. They're all batshit greatness but that one is next level.

leetorry
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:06 am 

Morbid Angel's Domination
My whole love and appreciation for this gem is due to how much it encompasses pretty much everything that's great about metal, and due to unbelievably accessible compared to its extremer brothers while still being brutal compared to the normal metal album. To brutal and harsh for melo death, to modern for odsm and to accessible and melodic for brutal death metal.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:44 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Moonspell's Wolfheart is the first album that comes to mind for me. It'd be easy to brush it off as typical goth metal but it incorporates so much from hard rock, black, doom, symphonic, and folk metal to warrant being its own thing. Not to mention the album's flow makes these different elements run incredibly smoothly.

Agreed!

Moclath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:15 am 

A specific song:Lantlôs Pulse/Surreal

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:46 pm 

A few that come to mind, in alphabetical order:

Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde
Angra - Holy Land
The Gault - Even As All Before us
Morgion - Cloaked By Ages, Crowned In Earth
Njiqahdda - pretty much any of their older stuff (I have a bunch of their CDs for sale, if anyone's interested)
Vardøger - Ghost Notes
Virgin Black - all albums
The 3rd And The Mortal - Painting on glass

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:01 pm 

Skin Chamber, both debut and sophomore. Chains, and grease and blood, all musically embodied...

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:45 am 

Kerrick wrote:
A few that come to mind, in alphabetical order:

Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde
Angra - Holy Land
Morgion - Cloaked By Ages, Crowned In Earth
Njiqahdda - pretty much any of their older stuff (I have a bunch of their CDs for sale, if anyone's interested)
Vardøger - Ghost Notes
Virgin Black - all albums
The 3rd And The Mortal - Painting on glass

Yeah, Njiqahdda are really weird. Divisionals and The Path of Liberation from Birth and Death are great.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:25 am 

Gorguts - Obscura, one of the most unique and important albums in the history of extreme metal

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:18 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Yeah, Njiqahdda are really weird. Divisionals and The Path of Liberation from Birth and Death are great.

I had a harder time getting into those releases, though I always particularly liked Njimajikal Arts, Ints | Nji | Verfatu, Nji. Njiijn. Njiiijn., Nil Vaaartului Nji, and Njiijn Vortii - Codex I. Yrg Alms was mighty good too.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:27 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
Tiamat - Wildhoney & A Deeper Kind Of Slumber

I still haven't found anything like it...

It's been a while since I've heard both, but isn't A Deeper Kind of Slumber quite The Fields of Nephilim-inspired? My memory could be tricking me, but that's the first thing I thought of once I saw that album popping up.

Now The Astral Sleep is one I'd like to mention here - not because it's far superior to those Tiamat albums, but also because it's one hell of style blend; there's uptempo thrashy riffs, blackened tremolo lines mixed with some midpaced doom-like riffs and of course Johan sounded like no one else at the time; you've got these half-hoarse-shrieking over this dark yet majestic album that I wish more bands were influenced by. So fucking 90's!

Ceremonium's No Longer Silent is also rather unique. I did a review for it recently and I really tried to describe the album as best as I could. To me it's more of a Soulside Journey goes doom/death effort than anything else out there. Fucking riff-tacular!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:45 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I had a harder time getting into those releases, though I always particularly liked Njimajikal Arts, Ints | Nji | Verfatu, Nji. Njiijn. Njiiijn., Nil Vaaartului Nji, and Njiijn Vortii - Codex I. Yrg Alms was mighty good too.

Those two are my favourite albums by them along with the Man Above and Against Time EP. Yrg Alms and Nji. Njiijn. Njiiijn are also great even though they sound weirder.

It's a shame their later albums were horrid, I have the feeling they released way too much music and they kind of lost it.

This stuff still blows my mind, so fucking alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82xI_KAKBoA

meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:52 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
Tiamat - Wildhoney & A Deeper Kind Of Slumber

Not sure about ADKoS, but I think Lake of Tears easily blows Wildhoney out of the water while also being in a similar style. And from the same country.

Kerrick wrote:

I have this one, it's pretty neat if very sparse, desolate and not very accessible. Reminds me of stretched-out early Swans, Joy Division's "Day of the Lords" and Fallout 3/Point Lookout. Haven't played FO4 yet, though, so I don't know if The Gault would fit that.

Now, onto my suggestions...

StarGazer - that's a tough choice, but I'll go with The Scream That Tore the Sky. Jazzy prog death from Australia. I'm not a fan of prog death, but StarGazer's been one of my favorite metal bands for 3 years now. That's not a lot of time, I know, but then I'm still young. So while they're clearly influenced by, for instance, The Chasm, 1991-95 Death and the first two Atheist albums at least to some extent, I definitely wouldn't call them mindless worship of any of those bands, or anything. I could say they take the best of all three of these "worlds" and add some of their secret sauce consisting of, among other things, tinges of black metal and psychedelia, more memorable and bombastic melodies and bass lines (sounding similar to Fleurety in places, even), a unique sense of melody and good old talent, but... that'd make them seem way more eclectic and avant-garde than they actually sound, at least to me. And I'm obviously as impartial as the CNN and the Fox News taken together anyway. But they're still awesome.

The Chasm - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm (if you like it slow, deep and hard) or Procession to the Infraworld (if you like it fast and intense). I've mentioned them in the previous paragraph, so, they're great too, though more ethereal and spacey than aggressive and "occult". Now those I can't really compare to anything, or even pinpoint any clear influences except for maybe Dark Millennium's debut album. But I find The Chasm a lot more focused and consistent than early Dark Millennium, and overall more enjoyable than even Dark Millennium's "Dead in Love".

Master's Hammer - Jilemnický okultista. Like King Diamond on drugs, dubbed in Czech by someone who I think sounds a lot like Dead.

Funereal Presence - Achatius. I don't think I can describe it better than GrizzlyButts did in his review of it. Though I'm not quite so ecstatic about it.

Unholy - The Second Ring of Power. Basically, it's moderately slow and pretty trippy death/doom with quite a bit of old psychedelic/prog rock influence (the members themselves don't hide it, either), great bass lines and a sick, deranged feeling - the latter two are kind of like 1996-1998 Bethlehem, but Bethlehem came after and don't sound all that much like Unholy anyway. Not to mention Pasi Äijö used a hateful but consistent Schuldiner-esque growl/shout as opposed to the Bethlehem vocalists' mad shrieks.
And if you like The Second Ring of Power, you might want to try When All the Laughter Has Gone by fellow Finns Dolorian, too. Or, say, Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum by Esoteric, which, however, is a lot heavier and less accessible.
As for Unholy's other albums, the ones that came after aren't quite so interesting to me, while From the Shadows is quite an acquired taste, to say the least, in no small part because of its grating production.

So that's enough, I'm sure. More than enough.

Last edited by meshigene on Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalimata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:43 am 

Quote:
Great album. Which reminds me of Misanthrope's both 'Totem Taboo' and '1666 Theatre Bizarre', the former being especially fucked up bizarro big time, due to the whiny vocals that work surprisingly well in the context of the whole album.
And how about my recent favourite weirdos, namely Pensées Nocturnes in their wonderful 'Nom d'une pipe!' from 2013, or Transcending Bizarre?'s 2010 opus 'The misanthrope's fable"? Or Carnival In coals's 'Fear Not' or CSSO's 'Are you excrements'?

Actually I was going to list Misanthrope's first three albums (Variation on inductive theory, Miracle... Totem Taboo and 1666... Theatre Bizarre) and thought that none would talk about them when I saw your comment! I've rarely heard something weirder than those. Very different from what they did later.
The French scene is full of weird and unique albums like this. There's so many of them but I'd say:
- Anorexia Nervosa with first album Exile
- Proton Burst, La Nuit and Silence
- Many Blut Aus Nord's album
But there are so much more of them....

Last edited by Kalimata on Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:07 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
It's a shame their later albums were horrid, I have the feeling they released way too much music and they kind of lost it.

I stopped listening to them after Serpents In The Sky so I haven't heard anything since then. They made a few pretty dramatic changes in sound/style throughout the years - some good, some apparently atrocious. I liked some of their other projects too, specifically Flaskavsae. There was some fantastic stuff released on E.E.E. Recordings back in the day...

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:04 pm 

Kalimata wrote:
Actually I was going to list Misanthrope's first three albums (Variation on inductive theory, Miracle... Totem Taboo and 1666... Theatre Bizarre) and thought that none would talk about them when I saw your comment! I've rarely heard something weirder than those. Very different from what they did later.
The French scene is full of weird and unique albums like this. There's so many of them but I'd say:
- Anorexia Nervosa with first album Exile
- Proton Burst, La Nuit and Silence
- Many Blut Aus Nord's album
But there are so much more of them....

I remember going to a used CD shop and stumbling upon "1666...Theatre Bizarre". I knew nothing about it, but back in the late 90's living in Iowa there was almost nothing for extreme metal selection, and it looked to be one of the extreme sub-genre's so I picked it up. I had a whole lot of "WTF" moments listening to it, but the one I couldn't overcome was the production and cheesy sounding instruments. I gave it an honest chance but put it down after several listens and never came back to it.

Just recently I was cruising YouTube and came across a live version of "Gargantuan Demise" (the album opener) and decided to listen for pure nostalgia purposes. It's a different beast live - I have new appreciation for that album. I still can't listen to the album much because of the production, but the few songs they played live from that album sounded great. The bassist in particular is spectacular.

But back to the topic at hand..."1666...Theatre Bizarre" is definitely a fucking weird/unique album.

Kalimata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:37 pm 

Itheus wrote:
I remember going to a used CD shop and stumbling upon "1666...Theatre Bizarre". I knew nothing about it, but back in the late 90's living in Iowa there was almost nothing for extreme metal selection, and it looked to be one of the extreme sub-genre's so I picked it up. I had a whole lot of "WTF" moments listening to it, but the one I couldn't overcome was the production and cheesy sounding instruments. I gave it an honest chance but put it down after several listens and never came back to it.
Just recently I was cruising YouTube and came across a live version of "Gargantuan Demise" (the album opener) and decided to listen for pure nostalgia purposes. It's a different beast live - I have new appreciation for that album. I still can't listen to the album much because of the production, but the few songs they played live from that album sounded great. The bassist in particular is spectacular.
But back to the topic at hand..."1666...Theatre Bizarre" is definitely a fucking weird/unique album.

Yes, huge bass player and incredibly weird album by the way. It's even weirder you found it in a second hand shop in Iowa! As for this album's sound, everybody knows there's nothing wrong for a French album to sound "cheesy" (pun intended).

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:49 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I stopped listening to them after Serpents In The Sky so I haven't heard anything since then. They made a few pretty dramatic changes in sound/style throughout the years - some good, some apparently atrocious. I liked some of their other projects too, specifically Flaskavsae. There was some fantastic stuff released on E.E.E. Recordings back in the day...

Yeah, serpents was their last album that didn't sucked and it was just ok. The vocals got a lot worse.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:58 pm 

I really liked the Moonstones I & II EPs - most of the tracks were just these really chill, uplifting post-rockish jam sessions. Pulled off the post rock sound a lot better than the rather clunky manner in a lot of their other new albums.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:23 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Yeah, serpents was their last album that didn't sucked and it was just ok. The vocals got a lot worse.

Gotcha. In their prime, they had some pretty creative and unique stuff though!

dontrushurshot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:01 am 

Lykathea Aflame would have been my first pick so...

XYSMA - YEAH
MITHRAS - WORLDS BEYOND THE VEIL
TIMEGHOUL - PANARAMIC TWILIGHT

Honorable mentions:
Absu - Tara
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:51 am 

Root - The Book

Weird and eerie, yet still beautiful tale of a album. I think they peaked with their traits on this album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next