Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:57 am 

Especially the debuts, eh? Fucking ENZO?!?!

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:10 am 

Eh, I personally would not say complete shitshow, but yeah, the ROH portion was severely lacking compared to the New Japan portion.

From ROH, I personally liked Lethal/Taven/Scurll (I like Taven as the heel champion) and the two "inter-pomotional" matches (Ospreay/Cobb and the 4-way tag title match itself). Klein/Iwatani was OK for what it was (a MMA/grappling-like slow, methodical, one-sided destruction), but the post-match angle with The Allure was incredibly dated and hokey (and very weird that they'd go forth with this having just released Madison Rayne). The rest of the ROH stuff, hard pass, and that's absolutely including the Enzo/Cass "invasion" worked shoot angle (there is no world where Enzo of all people convincingly works either the ROH or NJPW styles). They need to get off this Bubba Dudley/Flip Gordon thing-it's *way* overdone.

On the flipside, every New Japan match completely delivered, big time. My under-the-radar favorite coming out of the show was Ishimori, and I say "under-the-radar" because I only follow New Japan via AXS TV and he's not regularly featured there. Hopefully that changes going forward.

Maybe if NJPW walks away unhappy with ROH's shenanigans from last night, they'll cease their talent share with them and establish something with AEW. Dare to dream :lol:.

All that said, I think this show was worth seeing, and it will be the only show from this weekend I indulge in.
Obliteration

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:40 pm 

I'm hearing good things about the Bloodsport show, particularly Barnett/Lawlor of all things. I've also heard that RNR Express/LAX from Joey Janela's Spring Break was insane, and I saw a clip of 60-something Ricky Morton nailing a Canadian Destroyer.

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:20 pm 

Yeah that wacko who attacked Bret WTF

WM apparently goes on for like 6-7 hours nowadays. Damn. That's brutal for people who don't live in NA. Especially on a Sunday night.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:43 am 

WrestleMania this year, counting the preshow and the PRE-preshow, was SEVEN AND A HALF HOURS LONG this year. That's absolute overkill. The crazy part is that the crowd was still totally fine up until the Triple H vs. Batista match, because Bryan vs. Kofi happened at the exact right time in the show and drained the crowd of all their energy from that point on.

As for the show as a whole, regardless of its absurd length, it's certainly one of the best WrestleMania's in recent memory, easily the most fun to watch all the way through since 30 and 31. I think that it'll be ultimately remembered as a show to watch certain stuff in segments, rather than trying to power your way through the whole thing in one go.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:32 am 

The big stories out of the weekend are:
1) WWE putting on the best WM in a while, and
2) ROH shitting the bed again when they needed to do right

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:30 pm 

And here are my thoughts on WM35:

- Kofi vs. Bryan and HHH vs. Batista stole the show, imo. AJ vs. Orton was also a pretty solid bout.

- I didn't care much for Kofi, but I popped when he won. You know when you watch a wrestling match and just get caught in the moment and start cheering for the guy the crowd is going crazy for? It happened to me last night. Let's see how Kofi's reign goes.

- For someone the smarks were all going nuts for some years ago, it sure was funny to see Bryan getting booed and the fans going beserk for Kofi. Funny how things change, eh?

- Ofc Hunter had to get his revenge, even if it's over a decade later. Sooner or later everyone has to job to him.

- We had Cena return as the Dr. of Thuganomics and Batista vs. HHH following it up. I felt like I was back to 2004-2005 again.

- Kurt Angle's last match against Baron Corbin of all people is a terrible way to end his legendary career. Plus the match was kinda mediocre.

- The ME was ok, but definitely not ME-worthy. I like Becky and all but it's a bit hard to take her seriously as this sort of "bad girl" character when she has that next-door girly look compared to taller and stronger women like Charlotte Flair and Ronda Rousey, a former UFC fighter. But maybe I'm just getting too old to be able to suspend disbelief in these sort of things.

- This WM felt like the end of an era for several veterans. Angle had his last match. Batista had his last match against HHH. Cena showed up as Rapper Cena for nostalgia points and has recently stated that the WWE no longer needs him. The Undertaker didn't even show up last night. HBK was a mere guest commentator for the HHH/Batista match. HHH probably will wrestle again someday but he's more of an authority figure these days. And Lesnar lost the Universal Title to Seth Rollins. So basically only Rey Mysterio and Orton of the WWE veterans seem to be left as active wrestlers. But how long will they keep on going?

- WWE really lost the ability to make superstars. For all the negative things some of you can say about the likes of Lesnar, Cena, Orton, Batista, etc. they're definitely megastars in the wrestling business. What megastars has WWE made this decade? Roman is the only one who comes close to it. They tried with Sheamus and Del Rio but didn't succeed. Also, Punk and Bryan were hot for a while but the fans clearly no longer seem to care for Bryan and Punk is done with the business. So what does the future hold for WWE? Other than Reigns who of the younger gen is a big star? Seth and Becky?

Also, this was my first WM in a while, but if this was the best WM in the past 5-6 years or so then wow... it wasn't a bad show overall but hardly a great WM either. It was average with its highs and lows.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:59 pm 

Bryan is so good as a heel that fans are booing him. That sounds really dumb, but this was the guy who could get a thousand SMARKIER THAN THOU types to chant "you're gonna get your fucking head kicked in" one minute and then wanting him dead the next. He's like Jericho in that way: so goddamn great at pro wrestling as a whole that he can make almost anything work.

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:06 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Bryan is so good as a heel that fans are booing him. That sounds really dumb, but this was the guy who could get a thousand SMARKIER THAN THOU types to chant "you're gonna get your fucking head kicked in" one minute and then wanting him dead the next. He's like Jericho in that way: so goddamn great at pro wrestling as a whole that he can make almost anything work.

Well my memories of him are as a face, so I was surprised by it.

Looking forward to Raw tonight. The first Raw right after WM is usually a good show. Hopefully that's still the case in modern day WWE.

I can't help but notice in the last couple of years, even a lot people who've been fans for over a decade or two and spend a lot of time watching and discussing wrestling online have sorta tuned out of WWE and feel like they haven't missed a thing by not watching the shows.

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:14 am 

Festivus wrote:
- Ofc Hunter had to get his revenge, even if it's over a decade later. Sooner or later everyone has to job to him.

I disagree with this. I think Dave genuinely wanted to come in and do the job and "go out the right way." as well as a way of thanking Trips for putting him over.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:12 pm 

motorsport wrote:
Festivus wrote:

I disagree with this. I think Dave genuinely wanted to come in and do the job and "go out the right way." as well as a way of thanking Trips for putting him over.

You might be right, actually. It's just that every HHH win has an asterisk right next to it in my mind lol

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:49 pm 

That's because it's true. The list of names he never got "revenge" on is so short that it's the Ultimate Warrior and...uhhhh...Bryan, maybe?

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:53 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
That's because it's true. The list of names he never got "revenge" on is so short that it's the Ultimate Warrior and...uhhhh...Bryan, maybe?

I mean, we all know about HHH and how he got where he is today... also his ego. Sadly, his wife has a huge ego as well. She's allowed to emasculate men live on TV and rarely does she let someone get the upper hand on her. As much of an ego as Vince has, he's ALWAYS let talent humiliate and kick his ass live on TV. He's definitely not as insecure as Stephanie and Paul are. Otherwise the Austin vs. McMahon feud would have not been a thing.

He never got his revenge on the Warrior because Warrior and Vince hated each other's guts for years. And by the time Warrior showed up on WWE TV again he ended up passing away in the following day. Although, even if Warrior was still alive I doubt he'd allow Trips to go over him. Warrior might have been a bit on the nutty side with his political views, but he wasn't an idiot. He knew how to protect his career and how backstage politics worked.

He still has time to get revenge on Bryan. Although I'm sure he has beaten Bryan by pinfall at some point or another?

And wait, did he ever beat Hogan after Hogan beat him for the Undisputed Title at Backlash 2002?! Did they ever wrestle each other again since then?

I used to think he never beat The Undertaker, but turns out he did around 2008 or 2009 in an Elimination Chamber match. But never beat him in a 1 on 1 match that I know of. Tbh the reason I thought he'd take Taker's Streak was because he faced him THREE times at WM. So I assumed he was gonna beat him in 2011... and then assumed he was gonna beat him in 2012, especially now that he had his buddy HBK as a special guest referee. But I guess even HHH respects Undertaker and his streak so much to dare beating his streak. So honestly, I'm fine with Brock having ended it. Thanks God Cena didn't take it.

I guess even losses in a "fake sport" are a big deal to some...

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:52 pm 

They're a big deal in the sense of plot cohesion. The "world" is a sport, and wins/losses matter in sports.

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:33 pm 

Sure, but we all know how HHH has been overpushed at some points in his career. So jobbing a few more matches in his career wouldnt' exactly have hurt him. Just like him constantly going over people doesn't put him on the same league as Austin and Rock.

You can lose and still come out looking good. The Rock must have lost more matches than any other WWE FOTC did in their prime yet that didn't hurt his star power at all. Just like you cannot feed a guy a bunch of wins and throw a bunch of titles at him and expect him to automatically become the guy people pay to watch. Otherwise guys like Sheamus and Del Rio would have become two of the biggest stars in WWE with all of the kayfabe accolades they got.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:52 am 

Absolutely right. HHH is 100% the "not a tough guy but acts like it" type, right down to him chickenshitting out of attempted political wins when somebody with shoot experience was booked to go over. He was once reported to have snubbed the idea of losing the belt to Kurt Angle in 2000 until Pat Patterson asked him what would happen if the two of them got into a real fight. He's lucky Brock didn't give a shit when he got that win back, and that a lot of the younger guys he's gone over had a mentality of "do your job and collect your money."

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:06 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Absolutely right. HHH is 100% the "not a tough guy but acts like it" type, right down to him chickenshitting out of attempted political wins when somebody with shoot experience was booked to go over. He was once reported to have snubbed the idea of losing the belt to Kurt Angle in 2000 until Pat Patterson asked him what would happen if the two of them got into a real fight. He's lucky Brock didn't give a shit when he got that win back, and that a lot of the younger guys he's gone over had a mentality of "do your job and collect your money."

The biggest example I can think of a "not a tough guy but acts like it" type is JBL. He was a bully but guys like Steve Blackman and even JOEY STYLES have stood up to him and kicked his ass. Not to mention he got KOed by Bart Gunn live on Raw in a shoot boxing match.

I always thought the reason Angle's WWE career after the Attitude Era fell a bit was due to HHH not really liking him much. Angle often was wasted in mid-card feuds with the likes of Eugene or was the guy who lost title matches and feuds against current WWE champions.Or maybe Angle just wasn't a very political guy and thus was open to putting a lot of younger guys over. That being said I did not follow his TNA career.

Apparently Sasha and Bailey are upset they lost the titles at WM 35. I honestly thought WWE were gonna push Sasha to the moon considering she's related to Snoop Dogg who's even in their HOF. WWE want mainstream media attention and having someone related to a famous rapper like Snoop Dogg in prominent storylines would get them such attention, I'd say. But I've never cared about Sasha or Bailey tbh, so can't say I'd miss either of them if they left.

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:53 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, Rollins and Roman as well, lol.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:00 am 

Festivus wrote:
I always thought the reason Angle's WWE career after the Attitude Era fell a bit was due to HHH not really liking him much. Angle often was wasted in mid-card feuds with the likes of Eugene or was the guy who lost title matches and feuds against current WWE champions.Or maybe Angle just wasn't a very political guy and thus was open to putting a lot of younger guys over. That being said I did not follow his TNA career.

That only happened after he moved to Raw in 2005. For the first three years after the brand split, Angle was on Smackdown, and he was always in the upper midcard or main event. He won the WWE Championship twice, was part of the team that won the first of what is now the Raw Tag Team Title with Benoit, he main evented WrestleMania XIX, and he was always hot and over with the crowd while still not being afraid to do the job when the story called for it. Once he went to Raw and finished up his story with Shawn Michaels, that's when he became a midcard act fighting against Eugene over gold medals and not doing anything of any real note. He did have a WWE Championship program with John Cena, but that was very clearly just another "Put Cena over an Attitude Era star on the latter's rise to the top" story that encompassed all of Cena's first run as champion. The moment Angle went back to Smackdown at the start of 2006, he became WHC, and was back in the upper midcard permanently until his move to ECW and eventual departure that August.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:40 pm 

His TNA career is a mixed bag. One the one hand, he had better matches with Joe and Styles than he did with most of his WWE counterparts, but the booking was so mixed from decent to HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWFUL that...yeah.

darkeningday wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:23 pm 

He was also in TNA much longer than he was in WWE, and the time he was in WWE was during a boom period where they were getting everything right storywise, or in the few years immediately following that boom when they were still getting MOST things right, as opposed to now where the very few things that they do get right are on accident, and then they sabotage it anyway. His time in TNA was marred by long, unending stretches of the onscreen product being god fucking awful, with literally TWO one-to-one-and-a-half periods of getting stuff right across the board in there (2007 Bound for Glory when Sting beat Angle for the world title to 2008 Bound for Glory when Sting beat Joe for the title and kickstarted the Main Event Mafia vs. Frontline storyline, and roughly late 2011 when Bobby Roode won the world title through Austin Aries' ascension to the main event, plus the Aces & Eights storyline, culminating in the reveal of Bully Ray as president of Aces & Eights at Lockdown 2013). Kurt was also so pilled and boozed up at that point that he was just throwing all caution to the wind in his matches, so he could still at least go with the majority of people he wrestled during that time.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:08 pm 

Does anyone else dislike a lot of the names of WWE's B-PPVs from the current era? I mean, Fast Lane(this doesnt' evne sound like a pro wrestling event), Over the Limit and Great Balls of Fire(WTF)? Plus, PPV names named after gimmick matches such as TLC, Elimination Chamber and Hell in a Cell? Way to ruin the surprise element of when such matches were announced and way to overexpose them as well. Not to mention they're not even that hardcore anymore. I'm all for change, but it has to be good. Might as well have left the No Way Out, Judgement Day, Vengeance, Unforgiven, No Mercy and Armageddon PPV names stay. Those names were simple but yet sounded cool and had some edge to them.

Changing the Draft name to Change-up was also a bad idea.

It's like they're not even creative anymore.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:51 pm 

Correction: It's now the Superstar SHAKE Up. Still a dumb name, and they still haven't explained exactly how the Shake Up is supposed to work in kayfabe.

Also, you left out the fact that Backlash has been replaced this year by a new show called, and someone in WWE was paid to come up with this fucking name, STOMPING GROUNDS. From the same company that brought you a PPV called Great Balls of Fire.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:09 am 

Subrick wrote:
Correction: It's now the Superstar SHAKE Up. Still a dumb name, and they still haven't explained exactly how the Shake Up is supposed to work in kayfabe.

Also, you left out the fact that Backlash has been replaced this year by a new show called, and someone in WWE was paid to come up with this fucking name, STOMPING GROUNDS. From the same company that brought you a PPV called Great Balls of Fire.

Right. I misremembered it as being called "change-up". Silly me. Anyway, it sucks. Honestly, what was wrong with the Draft format? Don't fix what's not broken, WWE. Drafts often gave us one of the best RAWs of the year. You'd always get a bit excited over them. I'm gonna guess that the reason they changed the name to "Shake-Up" was because they wanted to coin their own term to slap a copyright on it, something they couldn't do on the word "Draft". Now when people hear the word "Shake-up" they're supposed to think of WWE. Let's see if that works.

Well, I didn't know that. I think Backlash was still used in the last couple of years, though? Stomping Grounds? That sounds like a Donkey Kong Country level or something like that :lol:

Vince has been going senile for quite a while now and it shows in the product. I can't help but notice that when the booking and the quality of the product started to rapidly decline, so did the names of the PPVs, the design of the belts, the stage sets, the commentary, etc. It's like WWE got cancer and it spread all over the product.

tonylee123321
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:58 am 

Dat Omega v. Okada III, son. Can't wait for their fourth square-off.
In other news, TakeOver Brooklyn III is this weekend, and so is, begrudgingly outside of a few matches, SummerSlam.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:22 pm 

Summerslam is in August.

And DAAAAMN is watching an episode of SMASH Wrestling's TV a blast. If PWG ran weekly episodic events? They'd be SMASH.

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:16 am 

This is like the 3rd time someone asks Gail Kim about WWE in the past 4-5 weeks or so:

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/gail ... o-back-wwe

What's the point of this? She said it 3 times already she doesn't want to go back there, so why do they insist on asking her about it?

Also, I've completely forgotten that Gail Kim was in WWE in 2008-2011. I knew she was there in 2002-2004, but have no recollection of her 2nd stint there. I guess she expected things to be different on her second opportunity.

People might be wondering now why I'm talking about Gail Kim of all people, but she's one of those people that first spring to my mind when I think of TNA, for some reason. At least when it comes to the knockout Division. Her and Christy Hemme. Then again I've never really watched TNA, so I could be waaaay off. Regardless, she's well known by wrestling fans and it's always nice hearing a somewhat big name giving WWE the middle finger figuratively. We need more big stars and well-known names spread over different feds instead of letting WWE hoard all of them. I dunno much about Gail Kim(feel free to rec me any good matches from her), but she's a TNA legend and is also married to a somewhat famous British chef. I'm also guessing she has other things going on in her life which make her money as well, so I don't think she needs the WWE at all. Plus, I think she once criticised WWE for the way they treat Asian wrestlers?

Also, apparently locker room morale is pretty low in WWE right now. The company seems to drift aimlessly. Falling ratings, falling PPV buyrates, falling Network subscribers... yet they manage to stay quite comfortably in the green?! Do they really get that much dirty Saudi money?!

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:12 pm 

The entire Gail Kim/Awesome Kong feud is required viewing. Not only was it a wonderfully done old school feud between a plucky face and a monster heel, but it also kicked off the idea that women wrestlers could draw (as the Kim-led Knockout division was regularly the highest rated part of Impact).

And yes, they get that Saudi blood money. And the $2 billion Fox deal. And all the merchandising and TV rights and whatever money they get from cities bidding to host WrestleMania. It'll crest and collapse in due time, though.

In other news, AEW IS COMING TO TNT!!!!!

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:40 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
The entire Gail Kim/Awesome Kong feud is required viewing. Not only was it a wonderfully done old school feud between a plucky face and a monster heel, but it also kicked off the idea that women wrestlers could draw (as the Kim-led Knockout division was regularly the highest rated part of Impact).

And yes, they get that Saudi blood money. And the $2 billion Fox deal. And all the merchandising and TV rights and whatever money they get from cities bidding to host WrestleMania. It'll crest and collapse in due time, though.

In other news, AEW IS COMING TO TNT!!!!!

I notice TNA/Impact Wrestling's channel has a lot of their older matches uploaded for free on their youtube channel. Neat.

TNT? Wasn't that where Nitro aired?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:15 pm 

Yup. 18 years after WCW died, there's another wrestling show that'll air on a Turner network.

Wrestling is truly cyclical.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:55 pm 

Ashley Massaro died yesterday. She was only 39 years old. She was in WWE in 2005-2008, by winning the 2005 Diva Search.

Shocking and sad news. She was pretty young. It's sadly not unheard of for male wrestlers to die young due to steroid and substance abuse, but when was the last time a female wrestler died so young? I remember Ashley in 2005-2006 quite well. Was never one of my favourites, but she died pretty young and apparently was a very nice person to the fans and her fellow co-workers. And she left a daughter behind. Sad.

infamous_madbutcher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:08 am 

After watching Lesnar crash the MITB match earlier tonight and walking away with the briefcasemy eyes Im sure I looked like the undertaker with my eyes rolling into the back of my head. I can't wait until fall and hopefully AEW gives a decent product. I've been a WWE fan since the mid 90s but they have lost me.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:08 am 

They're losing a lot of people, and if the first few weeks of AEW TV are even halfway decent then we're going to see a hell of a shake-up.

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:31 pm 

MITB was hit and miss. And I actually liked Lesnar's win. It was a big shock and it's rare for WWE to surprise its viewers completely nowadays. So props to them to keep it a secret. Shows they can keep secrets from the dirtsheets and big wrestling websites when they try.

I fear fans might be overhypeing AEW. I wouldn't expect them to start putting amazing shows from day one. It's gonna take some time for a completely new company to fully develop its card divisions and storylines. Who are the top names to watch out for? Kenny Omega and who else?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:10 pm 

Young Bucks, Cody, Chris Jericho, access to a plethora of international talent...I'm not disagreeing with it being overhyped when the only AEW footage has been the major announcements and whatever they've put up on YouTube, but I also think that a promotion with their financial backing and being on a major cable channel is as straightforward a warning shot as WWE will ever get.

darkeningday wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:22 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Young Bucks, Cody, Chris Jericho, access to a plethora of international talent...I'm not disagreeing with it being overhyped when the only AEW footage has been the major announcements and whatever they've put up on YouTube, but I also think that a promotion with their financial backing and being on a major cable channel is as straightforward a warning shot as WWE will ever get.

I didn't care much for Cody in WWE, but I guess this time he'll have a completely different character.

Is TNT that big of a channel? USA has too many channels to count, so it's hard to have an idea how big some of the channels outside of NBC, CNN and FOX are. Plus, some are only available in some parts of the country or in some providers/packages, I believe? So how big is it compared to other cable channels? Top 10 in terms of ratings/popularity?

Only time I recall TNT airing here was in the late 90s when the Cartoon Network emission(we got the UK version) would end around 8-9PM to air either old movies or Nitro. Then it changed to TCM.

Tbh, I'm surprised a loaded guy didn't come up with something like AEW sooner. Just a year or so ago if you asked people if another WCW or potential WCW would ever pop up in USA everyone would say "no, not a chance".

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:17 pm 

TNT has the NBA playoffs and finals. It's a big deal in and of itself, but when you factor the history of wrestling and TNT/TBS? It's waaaaaaay bigger than, say, ROH booking Madison Square Garden.

darkeningday wrote:

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:22 pm 

I'm glad they landed Moxley. That was a much needed capstone to Double or Nothing. Call me a believer.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:47 pm 

Double or Nothing was exactly the right first step that AEW needed. Everything on the show ranged from damn good to fucking excellent, the surprise of Moxley's debut so soon after his departure from WWE lends immediate credibility to the program (I saw someone on Reddit claim that this is the closest thing this generation will get to Lex Luger showing up on Nitro, and he's not that far off, really), and above all else, the show felt so DIFFERENT, and that can only mean good things for the company's desire to be different from WWE.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:53 am 

I enjoyed it up until the main. Omega does nothing for me and this felt like a cheap remake of their WK12 match.

One thing that was concerning is the production, namely the set design and constant camera cuts, but also the placement of the camera crew in general.

Cody/Dustin is the kind of thing they should focus on more. Build emotional programs, stuff that the audience can connect to on a visceral level, and then pay it off. WWE lucks into them now and again in a meta sense, sure, but nothing they've put on in forever felt like Cody/Dustin did.

Also...MOXLEYYYYYYYYYYY

darkeningday wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next