Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:28 pm 

Welcome to the 3rd Diamhea Memorial Review Challenge!

Originally the "MA Virgin Reviews Challenge," this is a time-honored tradition among our reviewers here. Every spring and every autumn, reviewers are encouraged to spend a week writing and submitting as many quality reviews as possible, with the aim to focus on albums with no reviews so far (i.e. virgin albums). Every day, the reviews submitted and accepted are tallied, so that participants can see how they compare with one another and whether or not, altogether, we've been able to surpass previous challenges' totals.

The challenge is named in memory of our friend Diamhea, a long-time contributor to this challenge and staff member here at Metal Archives, who sadly passed away on May 21, 2018. He was the first (and remains the only) person to have ever written 100 reviews for a single challenge!

This challenge will run from Monday May 20 @ 12:00AM EST to Sunday May 26 @ 11:59PM EST.

The magic number to beat is 609. That was set in May 2009. It's high but we can beat it.
The second magic number to beat is 398. That was the total from the last challenge!

Challenge Rules

1. The focus is on virgin albums.
The only albums that count are those that had zero reviews prior to the challenge.

2. Every release listed on the main site is valid including singles, videos, boxed sets and so on.
However, please try to refrain from mass reviewing singles and 'best of' compilations for this challenge. That's lame.

3. Eligible releases have to be virgins at the beginning of the challenge.
Multiple people can review the same virgin. There’s no bonus for getting to it first, so no need to hurry – focus on quality instead.

4. Eligible reviews must have been written during the challenge.
Pre-listening to albums and taking notes is, of course, fine, but avoid stockpiling already written reviews in advance.

5. Value quality over quantity!
Everyone is welcome to participate, but keep in mind that the mods won't be more lenient during the challenge.

6. The challenge abides by the default time of the site (Eastern Standard time or GMT-5).
Please ensure that you are posting your review(s) within the right time frame in order for them to count.

7. The total number of reviews written will be tallied once a day (under normal circumstances).
Derigin (myself) will kindly do the tallying as soon as possible. Please don't nag him (me).

8. Stay cordial and respectful with one another.
Don't hijack this thread with petty arguments or whining. Remember that the mods are watching (and waiting)...

9. The only reward is our eternal appreciation.
The only prize is knowing that there is an album that previously didn't get any love... that now has a review to call its own.

Hall of Fame

Spoiler: show
General Challenge

May 2006: 56 reviews
November 2006: 110 reviews
February 2007: 231 reviews
July 2007: 239 reviews
December 2007: 274 reviews
May 2008: 322 reviews
November 2008: 360 reviews
May 2009: 609 reviews
November 2009: 489 reviews
June 2010: 605 reviews
December 2010: 274 reviews
October 2012: 114 reviews
June 2013 (low-key): 338 reviews
December 2014: 384 reviews
June 2015: 230 reviews
December 2015: 462 reviews
June 2016: 347 reviews
December 2016: 486 reviews
June 2017: 483 reviews
December 2017: 353 reviews
June 2018: 368 reviews
December 2018: 398 reviews
May 2019: 332 reviews

Individual Challenge

May 2006: Drowned (10), Byrgan and Gutterscream (5), Sean16 and Velkaarn (3)
November 2006: Corimngul (9), Cianan (8), Peregrin (7)
February 2007: hells_unicorn (65), erickg13 (17), Sokaris (15)
July 2007: hells_unicorn (38), oneyoudontknow (17), CannibalCorpse (16)
December 2007: hells_unicorn (56), Mors_Gloria (15), Mungo (9)
May 2008: Noktorn (55), hells_unicorn (52), lord_ghengis (12)
November 2008: hells_unicorn (57), Perplexed_Sjel (42), caspian (41)
May 2009: hells_unicorn (93), DeathRiderDoom (89), OzzyApu (84)
November 2009: Perplexed_Sjel (95), iamntbatman (46), sushiman (36)
June 2010: OzzyApu (97), Perplexed_Sjel (91)
December 2010: hells_unicorn (85), OzzyApu (38), Noktorn (24)
October 2012: androdion, dystopia4, and TheStormIRide (8), Noctir (7), Jophelerx (6)
June 2013 (low-key): dystopia4 (51), iamntbatman (50), MutantClannfear (47)
December 2014: Diamhea (57), iamntbatman (53), hells_unicorn (23)
June 2015: hells_unicorn (30), Zodijackyl (28), iamntbatman (27)
December 2015: Diamhea (65), TheStormIRide (44), hells_unicorm (27)
June 2016: stainedclass2112 (45), kluseba (41), hells_unicorn (29)
December 2016: Diamhea (100), Crossover (58), dystopia4 (34)
June 2017: Zodijackyl (53), gasmask_colostomy and hells_unicorn (50), kluseba (38)
December 2017: dystopia4 (56), gasmask_colostomy (51), hells_unicorn (35)
June 2018: gasmask_colostomy (67), hells_unicorn and kluseba (30), GOOFAM (22)
December 2018: gasmask_colostomy (58), dystopia4 (46), hells_unicorn (45)
May 2019: gasmask_colostomy (68), GuntherTheUndying (48), hells_unicorn (35)

What is SECRET SATAN? The gist of it is simple. People put their names forward. I randomly match those people with one another. They send each other a virgin to review. They both review one another's respective virgins for the challenge. SECRET SATAN is opt-in and totally optional to the review challenge. You have to put your name forward, either by mentioning it in this thread OR by sending me a PM on the forum. Once I have collected enough names, I'll notify people who their matches are at least a few days before the challenge starts. I'll notify through a forum PM.

Once matched, you must do the following:

Step 1: You will exchange with one another a virgin album for review.
It MUST be an album on this site with no reviews at the time it is shared with the other person.

Step 2: You are required to provide to the other person a link to the album you want him/her to review.
It MUST be available for FREE online and in either a QUALITY DOWNLOAD or QUALITY STREAM. No self-promoting your own albums, thanks!

Step 3: You will review the virgin album you received from the other person for the challenge.
Be prepared for the possibility that it may be well outside your comfort zone. Please remember this is done in good faith!

If you have any problems with the person you're matched with, let me know. I have spare albums for review just in case it doesn't work out.

Signed up for Secret Satan (CLOSED):
Derigin
dystopia4
gasmask_colostomy
PDS
raspberrysoda
TheStormIRide
tomcat_ha
Twisted_Psychology

Have fun! Looking forward to your participation!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:28 pm 

A couple notes:

1. The challenge is slightly early this year because unfortunately June has turned out to be a busy month for me as far as work and vacation goes. I'm sorry if this poses an inconvenience to anyone who was expecting the challenge at the usual time. If it turns out that participants prefer this earlier date, I am perfectly fine adjusting it for the future, too. If not, I will of course revert back to the regular June schedule. I know this challenge's date coincides with Diamhea's death. I hope that is not too morbid.

2. I've made a few changes to the rules:

1. Rule #2 now also includes "compilations" along with "singles" as an example of a discouraged form of release for reviewing en masse.
  2. I've added a new rule, Rule #4. I am fairly flexible on this. I won't disqualify anyone for starting a review in the hours ahead of the challenge, and by all means pre-listening to albums and taking notes beforehand is always acceptable. I may consider disqualification if I find clear evidence that a person has been stockpiling already written reviews well ahead of time, and that they've decided to dump them for the challenge. Some people may disagree with me here, but I think it goes against the spirit of the challenge.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:44 pm 

Was waiting to see when we'd be doing this again, will be preparing to try and break my old record that I set about 10 years ago, will probably fall a tad short but maybe I'll at least outdo what I did last time. All the best to every participant, let's see if we can collectively crack that 609 record.

Derigin wrote:
[*]I've added a new rule, Rule #4. I am fairly flexible on this. I won't disqualify anyone for starting a review in the hours ahead of the challenge, and by all means pre-listening to albums and taking notes beforehand is always acceptable. I may consider disqualification if I find clear evidence that a person has been stockpiling already written reviews well ahead of time, and that they've decided to dump them for the challenge. Some people may disagree with me here, but I think it goes against the spirit of the challenge. [/list]

This is a reasonable addition and was basically implied going back to 2007 when people started writing a lot of material for these challenges, I've generally started my writing around 2-3 hours prior to the challenge officially starting so I can submit a couple right at the buzzer in case I lose any time due to my unpredictable weekly schedule (one of the pitfalls of being self-employed). The compilation part also is reasonable, I'd make an exception for anything that features obscure demo material or a fair share of exclusive songs, but a standard best of compilation is almost similar territory to reviewing a single.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:58 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
This is a reasonable addition and was basically implied going back to 2007 when people started writing a lot of material for these challenges, I've generally started my writing around 2-3 hours prior to the challenge officially starting so I can submit a couple right at the buzzer in case I lose any time due to my unpredictable weekly schedule (one of the pitfalls of being self-employed).

Aye, that sounds perfectly fine. This is more geared towards the most egregious cases where reviews are written many days, weeks or months in advance and then dumped for the challenge. I think most participants play fair and get the spirit of the challenge, but I just wanted to make that clear this time around in the rules. Anything else people do to prepare for the challenge in advance, short of stockpiling already written reviews, is alright. I pre-listen and take notes well before, and sometimes start drafts a few hours early, too. ;)

hells_unicorn wrote:
The compilation part also is reasonable, I'd make an exception for anything that features obscure demo material or a fair share of exclusive songs, but a standard best of compilation is almost similar territory to reviewing a single.

Good point. For the sake of clarity, I've now added 'best of' in the rule. It's the 'best of' compilations which are the offending party that should be discouraged en masse here.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:49 pm 

Sign me up for Secret Satan. I’m going to shoot for one per day again. Good luck everyone!

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:16 pm 

I'm in! Count me in for the Secret Satan too.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:11 pm 

Sign me up for Secret Satan. It'll probably the only review I do but I need some fun or torture in my life.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:25 am 

Wow shit, this didn't so much creep up as rush up on us! However, it seems fitting that it coincides with the date of Diamhea's death, and there would be no better tribute than getting a great total in his honour. Hells_unicorn seems pretty confident about participation for this one, but I really don't know how this is going to pan out, because I'm starting new stuff at work next month and there might be a public holiday in the middle of this (Dragon Boat Festival is a lunar holiday, so I have no clue).

Anyway, you'll get 100% of whatever free time I have.

...aaaaaand I'd probably be a spoilsport not to do Secret Satan.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:46 am 

So at best I have one free day to write. Two others I have to work and the weekend is Maryland Deathfest. Sad to say, I might have to miss this one entirely.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:09 am 

not the most convenient week for me but should be able to write a couple in the first half of the week. Sign me up for secret satan as well.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:00 am 

I can't make any promises about how well I'll do but I'll see about giving the challenge an honest shot this year. Why not, sign me up for the Secret Satan.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:09 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Wow shit, this didn't so much creep up as rush up on us! However, it seems fitting that it coincides with the date of Diamhea's death, and there would be no better tribute than getting a great total in his honour. Hells_unicorn seems pretty confident about participation for this one, but I really don't know how this is going to pan out, because I'm starting new stuff at work next month and there might be a public holiday in the middle of this (Dragon Boat Festival is a lunar holiday, so I have no clue).

Anyway, you'll get 100% of whatever free time I have.

...aaaaaand I'd probably be a spoilsport not to do Secret Satan.

Same here, I'm talking a good game this time, but my schedule can get a tad volatile so I'm opting out of the SS as well, no offense to our German compatriots. lol

I'm shooting to at least break my 50 review score from a few challenges back, I think it's a long shot that I'll crack my old 93 review record from 2009, let alone break the current 100 review record set by Diamhea, but I've already begun compiling a working list of tentative albums to hit. Probably gonna be a fair share of old 80s traditional and NWOBHM releases on my list this time around, which accounted for a fair share of my last 50 review streak, but I'll still try to mix it up a bit.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:42 am 

Hehe, maybe I can participate again, I'm absolutely fine with the earlier date. I'll try to do some this year, even though it will be hard to come close to a place in the spotlight like back in 2007 ;-)

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:54 pm 

Hi Derigin, will we get the Secret Satan match-ups soon, so we can listen to the album in question before the week starts?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:33 am 

Yessir, I usually send them out a week in advance, so I'll them out later tonight.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:24 pm 

Alright, all the matches have been sent out.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:43 am 

Fanks

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:36 am 

Will endeavour to shit out a few reviews over the week or so. Been a long time!

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Naught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:44 pm 

This will be fun to participate in! Coincidentally enough, I've been listening to a lot of bands that have zero reviews uploaded onto their Metal Archives band profile, which makes choosing which bands, and albums to submit a review for easy picking.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:40 pm 

School's starting up again and I'm starting a new internship at a law firm so not going to go crazy with this one. I'll aim for about a dozen including the secret satan.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:02 pm 

It's been a hot minute, but I'm coming back for this one. :hyper:

And I'll be online most of the day to approve reviews as they come in, of course.

Obligatory Last FM Link

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:58 pm 

Wow, almost a month in and I just now noticed this thread. My plate is pretty full, so I can't really do anything anyways though. Still, I'll be looking forward to all the new reviews.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:54 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
School's starting up again and I'm starting a new internship at a law firm so not going to go crazy with this one. I'll aim for about a dozen including the secret satan.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your content. Turns out I'm going to lose most of Tuesday to some stuff that just came up, maybe a new dark horse will come riding in and surprise us all.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:01 am 

Not that I'm going to take part (I can never review to a deadline) but for any fans of them who haven't noticed, Agoraphobic Nosebleed were recently added - and their entire discography sits almost completely unreviewed.

Happy reviewing!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:55 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Not that I'm going to take part (I can never review to a deadline) but for any fans of them who haven't noticed, Agoraphobic Nosebleed were recently added - and their entire discography sits almost completely unreviewed.

Happy reviewing!

That's something I could warm to if I didn't have to write down such long titles. Might dig out a few old favourites of theirs.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:19 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:

Happy reviewing!

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Olympic/3540453058

Or have fun with this one

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:36 am 

Watching the reviews come in makes it really interesting to see what time zone everyone is in and how they structure their day. I'm about to go to bed, but I swear Twisted_Psychology got up super early to post a few. Seems like a good start.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:03 pm 

Such are the joys of working first shift at a low maintenance office job. Aiming for a productive week.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:16 pm 

Hmm. Well, this sounds interesting. I guess my Agoraphobic Nosebleed review can count as my first review. Time to hit Bandcamp!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:36 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Such are the joys of working first shift at a low maintenance office job. Aiming for a productive week.

This week, that’s the dream. I worked all day yesterday (this is Tuesday morning for me now) trying to get jobs out the way, but the only result was that I realized how much my workload has grown since the last challenge. Hope you can make a strong total on your company’s time! :evil:

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:41 pm 

I'm off to a kinda slow start, I may only get a few more in today and pretty much all of tomorrow is shot for me, I may wait until just after midnight to publish one of them just so I don't have a day with no participation. Hopefully I'll hit a streak later in the week, but I'm already worried I'll fall short of 50.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:04 pm 

Almost forgot this was the week of the challenge. Thanks raspberrysoda for knocking out my Secret Satan pick out of the way already. I've been wanting to see someone cover that Mindrot album for a while. I always liked it, but could never really wrap my head around what the band was doing...

Anyways, I did a quick one for today, and I'm going to shoot for one a day, if work allows.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:08 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I'm off to a kinda slow start, I may only get a few more in today and pretty much all of tomorrow is shot for me, I may wait until just after midnight to publish one of them just so I don't have a day with no participation. Hopefully I'll hit a streak later in the week, but I'm already worried I'll fall short of 50.

Dude, that boat you’re in, I’m there with you! I haven’t done less than 50 for the last two years I think, but I’m not even optimistic about hitting 40 this time. This first day has been a fluke because I had a long evening last night to write all the Mongo Ninja discography, but most other days will be a squeeze.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:43 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
I've been wanting to see someone cover that Mindrot album for a while.

Wait there's already a band with that name? Well fuck... I'm good friends with a local band by that same name but I never submitted them since they don't have a full length out yet.

Also props to kluseba for hitting Sacred Reich and Iron Reagan. That was on my list for this week but I may just skip it since I already did "Don't Do It Donnie" a month ago for Indy Metal.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:33 am 

It will count for your score if you still review it. It just won't be included in the final overall tally.

Obligatory Last FM Link

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:45 am 

Actually Gunther, I was just about to toss your own Sacred Reich/Iron Reagan write-up into the oven (fodder), but then I sort of got the point at last. Is it supposed to be someone’s Twitter account in particular? It’s a bit scant on song description...

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:56 am 

Yes, it is supposed to be Donald Trump's twitter account, the review written in the manner in which he tweets.

Obligatory Last FM Link

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:11 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Yes, it is supposed to be Donald Trump's twitter account, the review written in the manner in which he tweets.

The comment about the "good Reagan" being the ex-president seemed a little too calculated to be mere wordplay. Although Trump giving a shit about Sacred Reich's continued efforts to play music? Seems out of character, haha.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:22 am 

Boy if y'all saw my face after I submitted Insanity Alert, realizing that autothrall covered it like a week before the challenge started, but after I saw that it was a virgin. The stamina during these challenges is too much for me to keep up with.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:59 am 

Daily Tally for May 20 2019
Total Reviews: 55 / 55
Total Virgin Reviews: 52 / 52
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 95% / 95%

Participant List for May 20 2019
Total Participants: 22 / 22
Today's Totals per Individual:
Cat III = 1
CHAIRTHROWER = 3
Colonel Para Bellum = 1
Cosmic Mystery = 2
deathmetal69_ = 1
FOrbIDen = 1
gasmask_colostomy = 7
Grumpy Cat = 1
GuntherTheUndying = 8
hells_unicorn = 5
joH1 = 1
Jophelerx = 1
kluseba = 1
Lord_Of_Diamonds = 1
Mailman__ = 1
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 1
PaganiusI = 1
raspberrysoda = 1
SweetLeaf95 = 1
TheStormIRide = 1
tomcat_ha = 2
Twisted_Psychology = 10

Compared to the start of the last challenge, both our total virgins of the day and our participants are down.

Congrats on Twisted_Psychology for being today's leader!

Keep up the great work! \m/

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next