Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:26 pm 

The new Grand Magus is pretty fucking awesome. They've always been consistent when it comes to releasing quality content, but this one really stands out in terms of songwriting, power, and especially catchiness. Pure pounding riffs, booming bass, and fantastic heavy drumming. Every single song has a great chorus/hook that makes you want to sing along. I think the cool part is that the band built a studio in an old barn to kind of get themselves separated from the way they always do things. Then instead of recording each individual instrument, the band played the songs together until they got the take just right. This process gives the album a raw and live atmosphere about it.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:21 pm 

Digging the new L'acephale. It's not as good as their monumental Stahlhartes Gehäuse, but it's still quite the dank album. They seem to be moving in a slightly more melodic direction and not as resolutely experimental.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:27 pm 

FromMysticStreet wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:
Jumping on the Wormwitch hype train. Holy shit, what a fucking beast of an album. I had no idea crusty Tribulation is something I needed in my life.

I'm jumping on the train too. Honestly was just expecting another album that everyone buys on splatter glow in the dark vinyl but is forgotten 3 months later to sit on a shelf and collect dust. I was pleasantly surprised how catchy and just straightforward good most of the album is.

Oh hey, this is pretty neat. I'm not a fan of the vocals (surprise surprise), but it's not actively putting me off, and those underlying riffs are really cool.

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:38 am 

On the subject of Wormwitch: you guys should also check out their debut if you want something grimier/crustier:

In a way, "Heaven That Dwells Within" is a bit "cleaned up", and extending on the black metal elements of their sound. Both albums compliment each other really well.

I just saw them last night on tour with Uada. These guys are headliner material--absolutely fantastic live. Honestly, they deserved a better crowd.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:23 pm 

Sielunvihollinen just continues to be more of my favorite band from Finland with every release. Really nothing else like these guys.
https://sielunvihollinen.bandcamp.com/album/kuolonkylv-j

Wallfahrer This mysterious band that came out of nowhere with an extremely professional debut album are back with another.
https://wallfahrer.bandcamp.com/album/rattenritual

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:46 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Sielunvihollinen just continues to be more of my favorite band from Finland with every release. Really nothing else like these guys.

love those guys

ready for the new Insanity Cult?

yzzo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:25 pm 

Quote:
Good fucking god, I haven't even been able to catch up on the 2018 albums!

I second that. So much stuff out there, so little time!

But here are a few of mine: Overkill, Wormwitch, and Traveler

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:45 pm 

Ugh...not really into this Wormwitch. I don't like my black metal to be overloaded with punk/crust influence. At least it was better than the debut. Doesn't help that my first exposure to them was live and they had the misfortune of being followed by Necrot who I haven't heard of at the time either but ended up being a much better band.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:51 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Digging the new L'acephale. It's not as good as their monumental Stahlhartes Gehäuse, but it's still quite the dank album. They seem to be moving in a slightly more melodic direction and not as resolutely experimental.

Funny, I had never heard about this band before, but I stumbled upon this record this morning and added it to my playlist.
Because there definitely was something that got my attention when I rushed through some songs. Pretty likable stuff!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:29 pm 

Leader_OCola wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

love those guys

ready for the new Insanity Cult?

Yeah! Should be another great one

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:27 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
The new Grand Magus is pretty fucking awesome. They've always been consistent when it comes to releasing quality content, but this one really stands out in terms of songwriting, power, and especially catchiness. Pure pounding riffs, booming bass, and fantastic heavy drumming. Every single song has a great chorus/hook that makes you want to sing along. I think the cool part is that the band built a studio in an old barn to kind of get themselves separated from the way they always do things. Then instead of recording each individual instrument, the band played the songs together until they got the take just right. This process gives the album a raw and live atmosphere about it.

I miss the days when they weren't just a hard rock band, but made more interesting and intricate heavy metal, like Iron Will.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:56 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
The new Vanum album is great; muscular black metal that uses triumphant melodic riffs to great success. Been digging the new Funereal Presence as well.

That Funereal Presence album is really great. Definitely in my top ten of the year so far, along with Véhémence, Flamen, Grusig, Warmoon Lord, and Wallfahrer. Another release that blew me away is a demo put out by one of the guys in Grusig, SzivilizS' Ds Tagtroumschtärbä. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuYjTEAAiEc

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:47 am 

MeltedFace wrote:
The new Grand Magus is pretty fucking awesome.

Yes. Like this a lot. Could actually be my new favorite album from them, given some time.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:02 am 

It took me quite a few spins but Funereal Presence has me entirely hooked.

I've also enjoyed:

Phobonoid - La Caduta di Phobos
This album slots in nicely alongside other chaotic, avant-garde black metal offerings like Lorn's Arrayed Claws and Alen Syndrome 777's Outer. Italy seems to be delivering a lot of outré musical projects that tend to go a little unnoticed, undeservedly so.

Seer - Vol 6
After the demise of In Solitude I was wondering if I would ever hear anything in that vein again. Seer is definitely a little more invested in doom, albeit with more triumphant sounding riffs, but there is nonetheless something that reminds me of the extinct Swedish act.

Waste of Space Orchestra - Syntheosis
Probably don't even need to mention this album as it has been quite heavily anticipated, but it is a really great album and comparing it solely to Oransi Pazuzu's previous efforts does a disservice to the diversity available here. This sounds more like a project inspired by Swans and Cult of Luna to my ears.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:37 am 

pfk505 wrote:
REMETE - Into Endless Night

Spoiler: show

Debut full length, Woods of Desolation side project. Spellbinding atmospheric black metal. Do not miss this one.

https://coldwaysmusic.bandcamp.com/albu ... less-night

Just listened to the first song of this, gave me all kinds of feels. Pretty awesome, thanks! :thumbsup:

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:19 pm 

Only things that have stood out so far this year are Evergrey and Hath. Hopefully things pick up this summer/fall.

deltawing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:56 pm 

I just listened to the newest Altar of Oblivion and it's some awesome epic doom/heavy metal. Highly recommended!

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:36 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Just listened to the first song of this, gave me all kinds of feels. Pretty awesome, thanks! :thumbsup:

The third track is the highlight!

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:08 pm 

Chevalier - Destiny Calls

https://chevalier.bandcamp.com/album/destiny-calls-2

This may even beat out Traveler and Smoulder for me. It's so dang raw but very epic and adventurous. Definitely delivers on the promise of the EPs, but is less orthodox than those in the songwriting department. Lots of twists and turns! Incredible work.

Bladius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:54 pm 

A few more releases I can recommend:

Allegaeon – Apoptosis (brilliant technical melodic death metal with breath-taking musicianship)
Black Sites – Exile (very original and fresh…classic heavy metal with prog overtones)
Dawn of Demise - Into the Depths of Veracity (competently delivered death metal)
De Lirium's Order – Singularity (tech death with clean vocals…)
Dead To A Dying World – Elegy (not my usual cup of tea, very weird doomy stuff, but mesmerizing)
Devil Within - Dark Supremacy (blistering melodic death debut by Japanese newcomers)
Eluveitie – Ategnatos (wow what a step up from previous releases)
Erebos – Heretic (brutal old-school influenced death metal)
Exumer - Hostile Defiance (nothing to say except quality, kickass Teutonic thrash!!)
Gods Forsaken - Smells of Death (filthy old-school Dan Swano death metal)
Grand Magus - Wolf God (love this band!!)
Hath - Of Rot and Ruin (enough said on this forum already)
Hedonihil – I (not a huge black metal fan, but this I can enjoy)
Inculter - Fatal Visions (fantastic blackened thrash)
Inferi - The End of an Era (crazy tech death)
Leverage – Determinus (first album in 10 years and worth the wait)
Marianas Rest – Ruins (captivating melodic doom)
Mist Of Misery – Unalterable (more of the type of black metal I can enjoy)
Paragon - Controlled Demolition (one more in a long line of passable power metal releases)
Seax - Fallout Rituals (speed metal heaven)
Thornyway – Awaken (one of the better metalcore releases thus far this year)
Toby Hitchcock – Reckoning (brilliant AOR)
Vainglory - Manifesting Destiny (surprisingly enjoyable; mostly due to the fantastic vocal delivery of Kate French)
Wormwitch - Heaven That Dwells Within (what more can be said)
Xaon – Solipsis (symphonic death metal album of the year so far…maybe Fleshgod will change my opinion)

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:43 pm 

Nice list. That helped a bit - now I have more to check out, so thanks.

I'll add Istapp to the list of solid 2019 BM releases.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:33 pm 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
Chevalier - Destiny Calls

https://chevalier.bandcamp.com/album/destiny-calls-2

This may even beat out Traveler and Smoulder for me. It's so dang raw but very epic and adventurous. Definitely delivers on the promise of the EPs, but is less orthodox than those in the songwriting department. Lots of twists and turns! Incredible work.

DUDE! You just mentioned my three fav releases of the year. Also want to add Magnabolt's debut and new Blazon Stone dropped today. Fucking amazing, Ced did a great job!!!

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:37 am 

Marianas Rest – Ruins

From what country does the the majority of the best melodic doom/death-bands come from? The correct answer is Finland. So does this band.
They have put some really good songs together on this album. Definetley worthwhile (like 8.5/10) if you're into this kind of metal.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:01 pm 

Man, this came out of fucking nowhere! :headbang:

Gardsghastr - Slit Throat Requiem: https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.co ... at-requiem

On a side note, can anyone give some insight on Swartadauþuz's projects? Bekëth Nexëhmü in particular since it's listed as being similar to Paysage d'Hiver.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 pm 

androdion wrote:
Man, this came out of fucking nowhere! :headbang:

Gardsghastr - Slit Throat Requiem: https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.co ... at-requiem

On a side note, can anyone give some insight on Swartadauþuz's projects? Bekëth Nexëhmü in particular since it's listed as being similar to Paysage d'Hiver.

Bekëth Nexëhmü is one of my favorite atmospheric black metal bands. If you like Paysage d'Hiver, I have a hard time believing you wouldn't enjoy Bekëth Nexëhmü as well.

This release is probably my favorite: https://mysticismproductions.bandcamp.c ... a-herrarna

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:17 am 

Thanks mate!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:20 am 

The new Paragon is actually pretty awesome after you get past the first couple of just OK songs. Seriously shreds - real youthful energy.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:14 pm 

Someone might have mentioned this new Devourer album, but I'm just getting around to listening to it and it's pretty damn awesome!
https://devourer.bandcamp.com/

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:49 pm 

Waste of Space Orchestra is probably my current fav release of 2019. Such a monument of a record already and its only recently been released.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:04 pm 

I agree, Syntheosis is phenomenal, the perfect fusion of those 2 groups. I'm also in love with Achatius, unique and primitive black metal, then La croix de sang, quite intimidating (like almost every Noevdia record).
These 3 are my favourites, but I should listen again to Heart of lead, brilliant and modern extreme metal.

Waiting for Abyssal (the artwork and the premiered track are enormous), Misthyrming and Deatspell omega in the next weeks

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:26 pm 

Oh man i can't wait for that Abyssal.

Antikatastaseis is a personal favorite of mine.

Bladius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:29 pm 

New Myrath is slowly growing into one of my fave releases so far this year. The Middle-Eastern influences are even more pronounced and that's one of the things I love most about them. Such a brilliant ambassador for the African continent!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:07 pm 

deopisi wrote:
I agree, Syntheosis is phenomenal, the perfect fusion of those 2 groups. I'm also in love with Achatius, unique and primitive black metal, then La croix de sang, quite intimidating (like almost every Noevdia record).
These 3 are my favourites, but I should listen again to Heart of lead, brilliant and modern extreme metal.

Waiting for Abyssal (the artwork and the premiered track are enormous), Misthyrming and Deatspell omega in the next weeks

Yeah Heart of Led is in my top 5 so far for this year. Very solid record. I'd also strongly recommend you check out the new Remete album for some extremely well crafted bm

https://coldwaysmusic.bandcamp.com/albu ... less-night

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:56 am 

I didn't know it, I'll try, thank you.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:53 pm 

The new Waldgefluster, Mondscheinsonaten, is just...unbelievably good.

Seriously amazing stuff.
Obliteration

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:42 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
The new Waldgefluster, Mondscheinsonaten, is just...unbelievably good.

Seriously amazing stuff.

I'm liking this one as well.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:39 pm 

I haven't been really active with this year releases, but this album by Archivist is really getting a spot in my heart.

https://archivistmusic.bandcamp.com/album/triumvirate

For fans of Fall of Efrafa and Light Bearer.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:35 pm 

Mord'a'Stigmata - Dreams of Quiet Places
Album reminds me a little of Dodheimsgard if they used more electronic music segments and and didn't opt to go full-speed almost at all. I guess Dreams of Quiet Places is more about atmosphere than complex song-writing, but it works really well and this is another great avant-garde black metal record from Poland.

Sinmara - Hvísl stjarnanna
Another great slab of black metal. This one is more "wall-of-sound" than the former album. Reminds me at times of French act Nehëmah, but with that particular Icelandic flair.

Hath - Of Rot And Ruin
The only death metal album I've enjoyed this year so far. Song-writing is more progressive, less meat and potatoes, and there's a lot here that harks back to last year's Esoteric Malacology while still doing its own thing.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:49 pm 

Profound Lore really do get their bloody hands on some great acts. This album will be a twisted, malevolent hell ride.

Consummation - The Great Solar Hunter

My collection

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:08 pm 

I saw Fetid last night and bought their new album Steeping Corporeal Mess on vinyl. It's not actually out until next month but they had LPs at the show. Fucking great! They slayed live and this debut album is a great tasty slab of rotten, slimy death metal.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next