9. Renegade Ashes
10. Absolutist Regeneration
11. You Cannot Even Find the Ruins…

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:34 pm 

GrayChild wrote:

Nazis. :-P

P.S: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Deathspell_Omega/The_Furnaces_of_Palingenesia/775127

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:42 pm 

Holy shit Basquestorm you're the pettiest person.

Cool lovecraftian artwork! Makes me think of something out of At the Mountains of Madness. I'm hoping for something more Paracletus then The Synarchy of Molten Bones. Package up the pots and pans, bring out the melodies.

nuklearkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:47 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
I'm hoping for something more Paracletus then The Synarchy of Molten Bones.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:15 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

Just joking, just joking. :-P

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:33 pm 

A lot of people I've talked to have said to wait for the full album before casting judgments on a single song, which I think generally holds in the context of this band. However, I gotta say that this particular song, evaluated as a standalone track, was pretty disappointing to me, especially after the all-out mathcore blitzkreig that was Synarchy. It's boring, even; feels like a buildup to nothing. It may be that the next track on the album releases the tension built here, but then why release this as a standalone track? I'm still optimistic that the album as a whole will be good, but I feel like they got off on the wrong foot here.

rafa_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:54 pm 

Never got into these guys, but this is the best thing I've heard from them, hopefully this one will click for me

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:14 pm 

Preview track sounds terrible. Don't get the appeal, actually hear a lot that reminds me of mid 90's metalcore here.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:19 pm 

doomicus wrote:
Preview track sounds terrible. Don't get the appeal, actually hear a lot that reminds me of mid 90's metalcore here.

Shaxul, is that you?

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:34 pm 

People have been comparing DsO to metalcore for a while, but I don't really hear it. Sure both skronk but that's about it. Plus Hirilorn literally broke up because a couple members did gang shouts on a hardcore ep. Seems like kind of a stretch to then try to emulate other hardcore bands.

Anywho I like this song a fair bit, but I don't know how much I'd want an album of this. I think it was probably chosen as the lead since it's nothing like Synarchy. Album art is amazing btw.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:47 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
A lot of people I've talked to have said to wait for the full album before casting judgments on a single song, which I think generally holds in the context of this band. However, I gotta say that this particular song, evaluated as a standalone track, was pretty disappointing to me, especially after the all-out mathcore blitzkreig that was Synarchy. It's boring, even; feels like a buildup to nothing. It may be that the next track on the album releases the tension built here, but then why release this as a standalone track? I'm still optimistic that the album as a whole will be good, but I feel like they got off on the wrong foot here.

It's less complex, yes, but not bad.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:00 am 

I agree it sounds like it might be a part of a greater picture, and doesn't stand out much by itself.
This might be exactly why it was picked as a preview: it certainly piqued our interested in what might follow it.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:18 pm 

Ah lawd, a new DsO dropping out of nowhere? Will wait to listen until the full album. I hope it's nothing like Synarchy because I not a fan of this band when they go 100% chaos.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

JTR4
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:43 pm 

I feel like this news puts The Synarchy of Molten Bones in perspective, as well as what the band is likely focusing on now. I know a lot of people were disappointed by how short Synarchy was, especially after going silent for over four years after the release of the Drought EP. During the Ajna Offensive interview the band did when SMRC was being released, they mentioned how their trilogy took some 2-3 years to conceive, and I think it's likely that a couple of those four years of silence were spent trying to figure out where to go now that their trilogy had been completed with Drought acting as an appendix to Paracletus. I think it's telling that this LP, according to the band's label, runs for 45 minutes; seems like a lot of material to put out only two and a half years after Synarchy if that four year period had been dedicated exclusively towards 29 minutes of music. I honestly think they're making a second trilogy, this time without any EPs between them. Even the album titles seem to allude to this. SMRC, Fas, and Paracletus are all Latin names, whereas Synarchy and Palingenesia are both Greek. If the pattern continues, then my best guess is that in 2022 they'll release a third LP, the title of which will run something along the lines of "The _____ of ______", with one of those words being another Greek term.

This is all conjecture, of course. Maybe they're going for black metal's first conceptual quadrilogy, who knows? Based on Synarchy and this new track, I don't think this theoretical second trilogy will come anywhere close to being as revolutionary or spectacular as their first, but more DsO is better than less in my book.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:43 pm 

bought it without even listening to the first track. I like being surprised. they have never let me down.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:49 am 

May 24, the same day of new Misthyrming album, I can't wait

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:34 am 

I didn't go crazy for The Synarchy of Molten Bones, but this lead single is sounding good. It's seems a little more subtle but that's okay with me. Interested to hear how the rest of the album holds up.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:18 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

He’s such a baby...

Also, this song sounds like a Deadguy filler track. My 2 cents.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:51 pm 

deopisi wrote:
May 24, the same day of new Misthyrming album, I can't wait

Not a big fan of DSO but THIS is something I'm greatly looking forward to. Misthyrming's debut is for me easily the best black metal record from the last 5 years.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:33 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:
He’s such a baby...

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:53 pm 

I liked the song quite a bit. Especially towards the end it got really epic and grand. I'm curious about people comparing this to metalcore. I'm not familiar enough with any -core genres to judge this. Is it the riffs, the vocals, or what?

dirty_harry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:05 am 

I hear no core in the song, albeit for Deathspell Omega's standards, the song is quite simple, repetitive and linear.
They have adopted the industrial BM aesthetic overdone to death (and done better by other bands such as Lorn, Absentia Lunae, Trube and such) according to what's displayed on this song.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:48 pm 

If it will be a subtler, more atmospheric counterpart to Synarchy's high-speed chaos, I'll be quite happy. Synarchy sounded like they built themes, melodies and movements, put them in a plastic bag, then furiously hammered them to pieces, and poured the shattered bits into four different moulds. Some of the larrger fragments were my favourite parts of the album, whereas the finer stuff proved to be a more acquired taste.

That said, having decided to figure out the album, I succeeded, and also found more appreciation for Fas after having done so. Synarchy is not, to me, a match for Paracletus, but it's a work that not only stands out in the discography, but also complements it as a whole.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:41 pm 

Just gave it a second listen, this time around I made sure I didn't listen to it ~10 times in a row like I have done for the last couple singles they released before the album. The first listen I was a bit underwhelmed, probably because I was expecting/hoping for another mindfuck track in the vein of Synarchy, but I'm digging what I hear and I agree with other posters when they say this could be a softer interlude kind of track like they have done before. Mikko sounds great and to me he sounds close to what he sounded like on Paracletus.

What do you guys make of them saying they recorded this live? The drums sound nothing like they've sounded before, and the lack of kick drum kind of sucks to me as a drummer and a listener. It does sound like there aren't anywhere near as many guitar tracks this time around, but who knows what the rest of the album will hold. I just find it curious that suddenly they decide to record live this time seeing as in the past their compositions are nearing impossible to track the whole thing live with 4 musicians. And then you factor in the horn sections and other small touches they add. I'm guessing that by "recorded live" they just mean that they didn't totally punch-in riffs and melodies as they most likely have done since Fas, but we will see.

Also, excellent theory about a new trilogy as mentioned by a previous poster. I think you're on to something with that. Synarchy was very reminiscent of Fas in my opinion, albeit much more condensed, and to be honest I think it would be very hard to top that one let alone match it it terms of how frantic it is. Look at the comparison between SMRC, Fas, and Paracletus. All very different albums, just as I think this will be very different from The Synarchy Of Molten Bones.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:15 am 

track is super whack but i'm not worried. DsO are arguably the last truly experimental metal band that's still enjoyable and not like, deafeningly challenging to listen to. i'm sure the whole album will be fantastic, i just wish the first single wasn't a slow jam. but, again, not worried - very few bands even come close to what DsO is doing in terms of complexity and cacophony.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:00 am 

Perhaps by "live" they meant they recorded the takes all the way through, with the basic instruments (drums, bass and rhythm guitar(s)) tracked at once, and the rest added afterwards. It's not that uncommon as a procedure, and while it requires more precision, and synching stuff can be a bit of a headache if you don't use a click track, current technology grants you plenty of wiggle room.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

~Guest 220079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:23 am 

Song is fine first run through. Echoes of Kénôse for me. But boy, that title is going to cause a shitstorm.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:21 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
DsO are arguably the last truly experimental metal band that's still enjoyable and not like, deafeningly challenging to listen to.

That is certainly arguable, to the extent that I'm wondering if it's a statement even worth considering for argument. Like are you serious, or was that just a bit of hyperbole?

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:23 am 

I actually enjoyed the track. Complete change of pace for sure, but quite effective in creating that DsO atmosphere and the execution is solid.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:57 am 

The album is streaming on NoEvDia YouTube channel. Intense.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:48 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
DsO are arguably the last truly experimental metal band that's still enjoyable and not like, deafeningly challenging to listen to.

Quite the hot take

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:15 am 

Just finished the whole album and I’m pretty disappointed. My first impression was like a 4.5/10. None of the tracks really impressed me overall, and only a couple of the riffs really caught my attention. The album is indeed mostly similar to “Ad Arma! Ad Arma!” throughout, with mid-paced clanging being more common than blast beats. I don’t like how none of the smaller tracks play into one another very well, they seem to just kinda pop in and then fade back out. The reduction in pace is disheartening too. Overall, it seems like they took Synarchy and turned the intensity knob from a 10 to a 4. The slower tracks’ vocals seem to be too loud and overpowering (and almost cringy at times like in “1523” and the closer), like the music doesn’t have room to breathe. I dunno, I get that the music was recorded live and they’re probably bored of making the same sort of maximalist, splicing-1,000-takes-to-form-a-clusterfuck music since Fas, but now they’re not really all that different from any of the other dissoblack bands that have sprouted to clone them in the past 10 years, aside from the added hardcore influences. It’s still recognizably DsO, but they’ve lost a lot of their chaos and bite here; feels lazy. This worries me for the future trajectory of the band - maybe it’ll turn out that this album is just a decoy for the real follow-up dropping tomorrow. I hope.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:11 am 

It's pretty much Paracletus 2.0, just not as good. Synarchy of Molten Bones was a lot more extreme and surprising to be honest. It's still kind of good, I'm thinkin easily 7/10. I'm not so sure about the lyrics though. Sometimes they are cool sometimes they sound like some weird crypto-fascist shit. I agree the tracks should have been allowed to breathe a bit more, I don't remember a DsO album with so much emphasis on vocals since Si monumentum... My favourite songs are 1523 - Sacrificial Theopathy - Standing on the Work of Slaves. That part of the album is great.

DsO playing long songs (Fas, Chaining the Katechon, Kenose, Synarchy) > DsO playing short songs (Paracletus, Drought, The Furnaces).

Every time I hear this or that band sounds like a DsO rip-off or stuff about "dissoblack bands that have sprouted to clone them in the past 10 years" I wonder, what are some bands that really sound like Deathspell Omega? I still haven't found a single one that really sounded like them. They have influenced a lot of bands, not going to deny that.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:26 pm 

Enjoying this album, very much so. Might be my favorite DsO since Paracletus.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:47 pm 

I also think it's worth mentioning this is the best sounding album they have recorded so far. It sounds a lot more natural and there's a lot less digital distortion than in their previous stuff. No wonder it was recorded live at a professional studio.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:15 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
The reduction in pace is disheartening too. Overall, it seems like they took Synarchy and turned the intensity knob from a 10 to a 4. The slower tracks’ vocals seem to be too loud and overpowering (and almost cringy at times like in “1523” and the closer), like the music doesn’t have room to breathe. I dunno, I get that the music was recorded live and they’re probably bored of making the same sort of maximalist, splicing-1,000-takes-to-form-a-clusterfuck music since Fas

I for one appreciate them lifting the foot from the throttle somewhat, some of their previous records had just too much stuff happening at the same time, and the production didn't help either: Fas, for example, sounds to me like a disjointed spazz of constant blasting. There's still plenty of weird to be found on this record, but this time it's not buried under the drums. I've never been a big fan of DSO's previous efforts but I'm quite liking what I'm hearing here.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:41 pm 

After only two listens:

This is fucking great. really, really great.

This definitely is somebody else on vocals.

Needs more listens to fully comprehend everything going on here, but yeah this is a real barnburner.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:22 pm 

theposega wrote:
This definitely is somebody else on vocals.

What do you mean? It's Mikko Aspa.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:34 am 

It's very recongisably Mikko Aspa, but personally, I think there has been another vocalist involved with Deathspell Omega for at least two albums. Someone who sounds a bit like Mortuus.

Aspa is recognisable if not from the sound, then his weird enunciation, where the last syllables of longer words get garbled, or the words get weirdly truncated. Have you ever listened to Carnal Malefactor while following the lyrics?

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:26 pm 

It sounds too growly to be Mikko imo. It's close, but I don't think it's him. Maybe I'm wrong idk

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next