Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:32 am 

No-one have mentioned that the album features guests in the form of Steve DiGiorgio, Sean Malone, and Thomas Lang.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:42 pm 

Dembo wrote:
No-one have mentioned that the album features guests in the form of Steve DiGiorgio, Sean Malone, and Thomas Lang.

They don't really do much on this album honestly. It's a bit of a shame but then this is all about Arch and Matheos.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:10 pm 

My local CD shop is gonna have this in stock on Friday and I am fucking pumped for it. This and the new Slough Feg have been all I want musically lately.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:55 am 

Leaked!

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:05 am 

Released today, officially available for listening in its entirety here:
https://archmatheos.bandcamp.com/album/winter-ethereal

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:04 pm 

I got it in the mail. Just not enjoying it much. Yeah, Arch sings well. I don't know at point these two guys decided it was unimportant for them to rock at all anymore and just dial-up the "emotion".

I think this may be me departing from the Arch train.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:31 pm 

A second video was made:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:09 am 

I can't really get into it either. ''Vermillion Moons'' is a great track and I liked that one right away but otherwise it (so far I hope!) seems more of an album of cool moments rather than cool songs.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:43 am 

On my second listen now. Really dense, wild music. Sprawling and varied in ways the first one wasn't. It's a lot to take in. I like it. Adventurous and sees these guys expanding the palette of what they can do.

It's not so much the archetypal prog of the last one - it's a lot more expansive and seems to be trying to take you on a journey rather than wow you with technicality and such, though it is obviously very tight and well played. The heaviness when it comes on "Vermilion Moons" or "Wrath of the Universe" is massive. Other songs are focused more on melodic stuff.

"Kindred Spirits" might be the best one. They really went all out with the longer tracks especially. Plenty of rocking moments and also apocalyptic, heart-rending lyricism and emotion. Took my breath away really.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:28 am 

Great album as expected. And of course with this type of genre, there's a lot to take in, which gives the album longevity.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Dembo wrote:

They don't really do much on this album honestly. It's a bit of a shame but then this is all about Arch and Matheos.

I don't know, some play on a third of the songs. Also, there were even more guests, such as Baard Kolstad:

Now I wonder if the "George Hideous" is the same as this person:
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... ous/135196

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:14 pm 

This album is a lot to digest. My first impressions are very good, but it's going to take some time to get to know the songs before I can actually render any sort of verdict.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:44 pm 

It's easily as complex as their 80s classics. Makes most prog metal today look like kid stuff. They are working on levels nobody else is trying.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:34 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
It's easily as complex as their 80s classics. Makes most prog metal today look like kid stuff. They are working on levels nobody else is trying.

I question if they are even playing metal any more.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:41 pm 

I don't even get what you're hearing then. They have a few more mellow moments here and there than they did 35 years ago but the metal riffs are very obviously the base of all these songs except the ballad in the middle.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:29 am 

Pretty great album...it's definitely very dense and challenging, much moreso than Sympathetic Resonance - with way less emphasis on the off-the-wall technicality and more on the songwriting, but overall a very unique and interesting listen front to back. No question that it will require more listening to fully digest, but "Never In Your Hands" is my favorite track so far.

Empyreal wrote:
I don't even get what you're hearing then. They have a few more mellow moments here and there than they did 35 years ago but the metal riffs are very obviously the base of all these songs except the ballad in the middle.

I agree, this album is 100% metal and there's no other way to look at it, and it actually surprises me a little just how heavy it gets at times, because Jim Matheos doesn't even like metal anymore :lol:. He's outright said that he completely hates all the bands he grew up listening to that inspired the early FW stuff and is only willing to even touch tangentially-related stuff like Opeth, Katatonia, and Porcupine Tree. Kind of makes me wonder where the inspiration to write stuff like "Any Given Day" and "Wrath of the Universe" comes from?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:52 am 

"Vermilion Moons" and "Wrath of the Universe" are some of the more straightforward metal riffs in their catalog - much more direct and not as proggy as they could sometimes get.

It's definitely a different sort of album and the writing leans toward an epic sound with a focus on vocal melodies and lyrics, but the metal riffs are clearly there.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:28 am 

true_death wrote:
He's outright said that he completely hates all the bands he grew up listening to that inspired the early FW stuff and is only willing to even touch tangentially-related stuff like Opeth, Katatonia, and Porcupine Tree. Kind of makes me wonder where the inspiration to write stuff like "Any Given Day" and "Wrath of the Universe" comes from?

That's interesting, since a fair amount of the recent stuff reminds me of the modern proggier stuff by Iron Maiden.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:21 am 

Just gave a first listen. More than anything this shows me how much they need Zonder back in the band, immediately fell in love with track 5 without knowing he was even on the album. Overall I think I like it a bit more than Sympathetic Resonance, doesn't feel quite as chuggy/hard-prog.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2