Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
graalband
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:45 pm 

Hi,
i wish to insert Graal (from Italy) in Metallum but it's banned...why?
Can you help me?
Thanks!!!

Danilo.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:11 pm 

Blacklisted because somebody submitted a fake band entry under that name. Do you have evidence that your band Graal has any valid, metal releases?

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:59 pm 

Just to make the things easier Mutant, this is Danilo's band :)

https://jolly-roger-records.bandcamp.co ... chapter-iv

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:53 am 

Didn't check the music, but whitelisted since it's obviously legit. We're having a persistent problem with a bizarre troll/nutcase submitting fake bands, which are sometimes based on real ones.

Blackmore Forever
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:31 am 

I have almost all records (or perhaps all, apart from early demo(s), if they have some... i don't remember now), and attended to a couple of live.

Great band and musicians, some more "modern" prog metal influences also in their music, for sure, and many parts or entire songs are quite "heavy" in a sense, but i would not say they are metal of any kind overall.

Huge and predominant influences are bands like Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin, and then but less than the previous two, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Black Sabbath (but without any of their "darkness" in style, melodies ecc.).

Verd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:05 pm 

Graal are no fake band for sure, but they aren't either metal.
They're an awesome band, but to me they play definitely hard rock.

This is a translated excerpt from a 2013 interview to Graal founder/singer Andrea Ciccomartino:
Q "Your musical genre sounds like a homage to "old school" '70s bands, a mix between hard rock, NWOBHM and prog. Which are the bands that inspired you the most while composing original music?"
A "They defined us in many ways, but it's hard to put ourselves into a single genre. We're 5 musicians and every one of us has his own idols. When Graal was born, our main intent was to found a hard rock band that also included in their songs folk and prog elements. [...] If we had to nominate the most important bands that inspired us, we'd definitely go with Kansas, Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd, Warlord and Black Sabbath".
Q- "Staying in the past, would you be able to tell us your 5 favourite albums ever?"
A- "AC/DC Back in Black, Led Zeppelin IV, Black Sabbath, Kansas Leftoverture, Blackfoot Highway Song".
Q- "Which band would you like to support in tour?"
A- "Uriah Heep would be a dream, or Journey".

As you can see, they often list the very earliest Black Sabbath among their influences, but they keep on going on the hard rock way. And listening to their albums I'd never define them "metal". They don't define theirself "metal" either and that's fine, they're a great band, but they play very little metal.

Links to their music, interview and discography:
- https://www.discogs.com/it/artist/1130981-Graal
- https://www.acerecordsroma.com/it/graal-it
- https://www.youtube.com/user/GraalChannel2012
- http://www.truemetal.it/news/graal-andr ... tino-66186
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AlZxR6 ... tPHdPcyIae

Blackmore Forever
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:15 am 

Verd, "fake band" was referred by a moderator here to the bands that don't exist but that some troll keep on trying to add on MA giving them the names of bands really existing (metal or not)... or at least this is what i understood reading the messages above.

So, it wasn't referred to the real bands like Graal or others.

I agree, hard rock or hard prog rock, but i say this just listening to them, not for what the members said... never listen to musicians about their music (and other ones too, often) in terms of formal labels, genres etc., for very often they are wrong o quite weird to say the least (but here too it can happen - i.e.: not a quote of epic metal for Manowar... i don't say only that for all discography overall, but at least that too, along with heavy and maybe power - so it's always a difficult work for some bands and styles).

And it's fair and normal, they are not so interesting to label their music in a way or another, it's not their job, their job is compose and play what they like and feel, or anyway what they want to play for a reason or another.

Last edited by Blackmore Forever on Fri May 17, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:18 am 

Hey guys, please try to refrain from commenting with your opinions on whether a band is metal or not if you weren't the OP of the thread.

Blackmore Forever
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:22 am 

What's "OP"?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am 

Original poster, AKA the guy who started the thread.

Reply to topic