Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:46 am 

Dooders wrote:
Howdy folks, my request is somewhat vague as I do not have solid references, but stylistically I am looking for something that's is melodic and doomy with elements of ambient and an ethereal like quality to the the sound.

Edit:Only band I could think of that shares some of these qualities in small ways is Trees of Eternity.

The Angelic Process

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:29 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Dooders wrote:
Howdy folks, my request is somewhat vague as I do not have solid references, but stylistically I am looking for something that's is melodic and doomy with elements of ambient and an ethereal like quality to the the sound.

Edit:Only band I could think of that shares some of these qualities in small ways is Trees of Eternity.

The Angelic Process

If you stick to the first part of the request, TAP might be a reasonable rec, but it ceases to be in regards to the reference to Trees of Eternity that has pretty much nothing to do with TAP...

Trees of Eternity's fans might dig Omit or Lethian Dreams... or all Swallow the Sun's soft moments.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:34 pm 

Dooders wrote:

Backing up Morphine on Lethian Dreams and Omit, perfect suggestions.

The Third and the Mortal's Tears Laid in Earth is an essential for ethereal sounding doom metal.

Mourning Sun

As Divine Grace

Avrigus

Funeral (specifically their In Fields of Pestilent Grief. A little bit heavier than these other bands, but the vocals are very ethereal)

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:30 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Dooders wrote:

The Angelic Process

If you stick to the first part of the request, TAP might be a reasonable rec, but it ceases to be in regards to the reference to Trees of Eternity that has pretty much nothing to do with TAP...

Trees of Eternity's fans might dig Omit or Lethian Dreams... or all Swallow the Sun's soft moments.

Yeah that's true. I've never heard of Trees Of Eternity. Ah well, maybe it's a hit!

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:36 pm 

Any recs for blackened funeral doom metal? Regular funeral doom metal recs will suffice also.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:23 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:

Backing up Morphine on Lethian Dreams and Omit, perfect suggestions.

I'll add Hallatar to my recs too. It's basically all STS' atmo features gathered in one single project.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:58 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Any recs for blackened funeral doom metal? Regular funeral doom metal recs will suffice also.

Stabat Mater.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:18 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

You may like Dispirit (other than first release which is more black metal),

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:57 am 

Looking for atmospheric sludge metal/post metal similar in timbre and sound to Isis - Panopticon.

I'm looking for long slow passages that build up a monotonous sound and vibe.

Please give some suggestions.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:23 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Looking for atmospheric sludge metal/post metal similar in timbre and sound to Isis - Panopticon.

Jesu
Cult Of Luna

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:49 am 

Yeah Cult of Luna is pretty good. Currently also looking up Jesu. These days I'm just exploring atmo sludge/doom/post-metal for some reason.

projectfear22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:30 pm 

Looking for bands who sound like Tool and Nord Skin (problem is Nord Skin has no lyrics)

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:58 am 

Not that it sounds exactly like Tool but you should look up Neurosis especially the album 'A Sun that never Sets'

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:40 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

I don't think Tool can be filed under the sludge or even post tag, and honestly, I don't know what label would fit them best, but I was thinking of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_E5ae9ZTwk
and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=get0cXOsSXg

Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:28 am 

Could I get some Doom (or Stoner, I'm open) Metal where the guitar isn't the central instrument? You know, Bass or Keyboard centered.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:07 pm 

Pellinore wrote:
Could I get some Doom (or Stoner, I'm open) Metal where the guitar isn't the central instrument? You know, Bass or Keyboard centered.

Bass-based:

Stoner: Sleestak - Talbot
Funeral: Bell Witch
Drone Doom: Old Witch

Bass and keyboard:

Trad: I Compagni di Baal

Keyboard:

Trad: Count Raven (excellent band, plenty of guitar riffs, but heavy on the keyboard as well)
Otherwise, for keyboard-driven songs, Funeral doom is the place to explore:
Just a few projects, but there're a loooot more!
Comatose Vigil - the Howling Void - Luna - Skepticism

Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:08 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Pellinore wrote:

Bass-based:

Stoner: Sleestak - Talbot
Funeral: Bell Witch
Drone Doom: Old Witch

Bass and keyboard:

Trad: I Compagni di Baal

Keyboard:

Trad: Count Raven (excellent band, plenty of guitar riffs, but heavy on the keyboard as well)
Otherwise, for keyboard-driven songs, Funeral doom is the place to explore:
Just a few projects, but there're a loooot more!
Comatose Vigil - the Howling Void - Luna - Skepticism

Damn, thanks man

RattEurope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:17 pm 

I like doom and stoner metal whenever I encounter it but never spent much time getting deeply into the genre. I like Candlemass, Saint Vitus, and Doomsword but do not know of many other cleaner sounding doom bands.

For stoner metal I like Orange Goblin, Acid King, and Sleep's Holy Mountain (the other two albums I don't like as much). What are the major stoner bands that get close to this style?

I also enjoy more recent bands like Pallbearer and Khemmis, or quasi-doom bands like Blood Ceremony, Castle, and Christian Mistress. Anything similar to those going around recently that I have missed?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:58 pm 

Pellinore wrote:

For keyboard based:

Antonius Rex (Neque Semper Arcum Tendit Rex is their only doom metal album)

Black Hole (Land of Mystery has keyboards, but guitar is more dominant. Living Mask is probably good for what you are looking for. But watch out for those programmed drums! Evil in the Dark.... well it's basically a doom metal album 100% made on bass, synthesizers, and a drum machine. It's not that great, but may be worth looking into. Honestly it wouldn't be half as bad if it was released as a demo rather than an album. You can occasionally hear real drums, and the liner notes as well as Robert Measles in interviews claim real guitar to be present, but I sure don't hear it. If I were you I would skip the first three or four tracks, those are by far the worst of the album).

Abysmal Grief

And to break the chain of Italian horror doom, Zaum.

RattEurope wrote:
I like doom and stoner metal whenever I encounter it but never spent much time getting deeply into the genre. I like Candlemass, Saint Vitus, and Doomsword but do not know of many other cleaner sounding doom bands.

For stoner metal I like Orange Goblin, Acid King, and Sleep's Holy Mountain (the other two albums I don't like as much). What are the major stoner bands that get close to this style?

I also enjoy more recent bands like Pallbearer and Khemmis, or quasi-doom bands like Blood Ceremony, Castle, and Christian Mistress. Anything similar to those going around recently that I have missed?

Clean sounding doom: Black Oath. Their 2013 album Ov Qliphoth and Darkness is excellent.

Stoner: Church of Misery (Japan)! Their 2016 album And Then There Were None is an absolute monster. Only one Japanese guy on it though, lol, the bass player Tatsu. The vocalist is Scott Carlson from Repulsion (and former bassist of Cathedral), the guitarist is Dave Depraved from Blood Farmers, and the drummer is Eric Little from Earthride and Internal Void.

Quasi-doom: You may be already familiar with them, as they are one of the more well known bands of their ilk, and one of the ones that originally spurred the revival, but Sweden's Witchcraft. Specifically their first three albums (Firewood would be my personal pick). Legend is also of the style, but I didn't like it much. 2016's Nucleus is also very good, but it's more like full-on doom than quasi-doom.

Last edited by DoomMetalAlchemist on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:53 pm 

I'm a big sucker for beautiful vocals over powerful doom riffs, and I've been listening to the following songs on repeat for the past few days. Anybody who can appreciate really nice clean vocals over thick riffage should check these bands out.

Troll - Legend Master, Book I: Proverbs of Hell (slightly stonery/kinda traditional sounding doom with epic male vocals)

Hangman's Chair - Give and Take (melodic, bluesy stoner/doom with soulful, depressive male singing)

Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard - Yn Ol I Annwn (spacious, atmospheric doom/sludge with ethereal soprano vocals)

iiix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:37 am 

Looking for Heavy/Doom from the past few years to add to the stacks. R.I.P. - Street Reaper and Mountain Witch - Burning Village would be a good examples of what I'm talking about. Hope someone can hook me up. Thanks!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:41 am 

I don't know the bands you refer to, but I'm now on MW/ burning village; the Doom factor is very thin to my ears I must say.
It makes me think of bands of the same vintage-sounding, mid-tempo hardrock ilk, like High Spirit (a tad more power I guess) and Valkyrie, My Home on Trees or Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats (quite the same hardrock-ish stuff imo).

Doomier, but in the same old-school vein, I'd recommend Seamount or The Graviators.

Metal_Kitty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:01 pm 

Why has the Doom Metal genre been out-of-order for days? Thanks!

"I'm metal 24-7" - Halford

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:59 pm 

Russian death/doom band Янтарные Слёзы (Amber Tears) is back with a new album after 7 years. I found their first two albums to be well above average and indeed the new one is of the same quality. Not too many bands playing that traditional Euro death/doom style anymore, so if that's your thing I highly recommend a listen.

https://ambertears.bandcamp.com/

Metal_Kitty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:56 pm 

So who's the misogynist Admin that keeps kicking me off this site and is totally blocking me from the Doom Metal list?

I don't know what you're thinking but I'm not just trolling this site for boyfriends.
I just happen to like bands that are the complete package like these ladies.

https://jennerserbia.bandcamp.com

I bet the only women that you respect are JLo monsters.

"I'm metal 24-7" - Halford

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:08 am 

I feel the urge to recommend this epic doom band, Black Lotus. Candlemass is not one of their influences, for once. I would place them between Grand Magus and Doomsword
https://orderoftheblacklotus.bandcamp.c ... -of-saturn

Arthen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:43 am 

Any recomendations for a Khemmis fan? Love Conjurer too.

LordCraigus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:06 pm 

Arthen wrote:

Garganjua, King Goat, Troll (especially their new album, Legend Master) and perhaps Beelzefuzz.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:36 pm 

Arthen wrote:

The latest Spirit Adrift?

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:40 pm 

looking for that one band that goes "denanana de dananana de dananana" in pentatonic. thanks

sworddaughter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:22 pm 

I just recently listened to "Come My Fanatics..." by Electric Wizard. Can I get more recommendations for similar etheral, spacey doom like that with ambient/psychedelic traits?I'm not too familiar with this genre so big name recommendations are OK. I know Sunn 0))) though.

Thanks!

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:50 pm 

sworddaughter wrote:
I just recently listened to "Come My Fanatics..." by Electric Wizard. Can I get more recommendations for similar etheral, spacey doom like that with ambient/psychedelic traits?I'm not too familiar with this genre so big name recommendations are OK. I know Sunn 0))) though.

Thanks!

Check out Ufomammut, Sons of Otis, REZN, and YOB.

sworddaughter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:47 am 

doomicus wrote:
sworddaughter wrote:

Thanks!

Check out Ufomammut, Sons of Otis, REZN, and YOB.

Thanks!

I only know Ufomammut and YOB by name really. Will check all 4 bands out.

TeRRorBld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:44 am 

I've been obsessed with Conjurer's Mire since it came out. Unfortunately, the only other (kind of) similar band I've been able to find has been Yashira. Any other recommendations?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:50 am 

TeRRorBld wrote:
I've been obsessed with Conjurer's Mire since it came out. Any other recommendations?

Check out other abrasive post-doom bands such as Generation of Vipers, Redwood Hill, Rorcal and late Process of Guilt (from Greece I think)...
Russian Crust have even more aggressive edges, maybe you'll enjoy this. It's some quite clever music:
https://crustband.bandcamp.com/

TeRRorBld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:30 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Check out other abrasive post-doom bands such as Generation of Vipers, Redwood Hill, Rorcal and late Process of Guilt (from Greece I think)...
Russian Crust have even more aggressive edges, maybe you'll enjoy this. It's some quite clever music:
https://crustband.bandcamp.com/

Oh damn, you definitely delivered. I already like Crust and Process of Guilt from what little I've heard. Thanks!

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:54 am 

Heliogabalus by Rorcal pulverises everything.

I add Downfall of gaia and The lion's daughter.

TeRRorBld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:22 pm 

deopisi wrote:
Heliogabalus by Rorcal pulverises everything.

I add Downfall of gaia and The lion's daughter.

I'm familiar with Downfall of Gaia, their second album is pretty good.

The lion's daughter's Existence is Horror sounds pretty interesting so far. Thanks!

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:31 am 

Can someone please recommend stuff similar to Comatose Vigil? That band is really cool.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:20 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Can someone please recommend stuff similar to Comatose Vigil? That band is really cool.

They have a very idiosyncratic sound; Abstract Spirit come close.. But I happened to find this, lately, which is even closer: https://thevinyldivision.bandcamp.com/album/kuura
It doesn't strike as a copycat, but there're strong similarities in vocals and the overall kind of bleak rendition.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 133  Next