Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:25 pm 

Fender Bender - Modern slasher about a serial killer who causes minor car accidents, then stalks the other driver while dressed like the Gimp from Pulp Fiction. Pretty lazy overall, and even a little worse than a lot of the low budget junk I watch. 3.5 / 10

Venom - A 90 minute movie followed by 20 minutes of credits and mid / end credit scenes. I thought this was at its most fun when it was about Tom Hardy's wacky eating and puking shenanigans. The special effects almost never convinced me though. The blackish goo by itself, the Venom suit, the extending limbs - none of it looked right, especially during the action-packed finale. Factor in my comic book fatigue, and this gets 5 / 10.

Game Night - Jesse "Meth Damon" Plemons almost stole the movie in a supporting role. But the entire cast was good. Consistently funny and entertaining. 7 / 10

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:18 am 

I went and saw the big Superhero Movie™ and it was very good. I expect to see Thor on this forum any day now!

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:43 pm 

Defendor - The perfect antihero. Dude in his pursuit of heroic satisfaction gets his ass kicked, hauled, and mauled. Not to forget it features the great Kat Dennings. Things would have been much easier had Defendor acquired a (much shittier?) sidekick.
White Chicks - Starts off pretty horrible there is not even a chance to say the Wayans brothers are at it again without it degenerating first. Puerile even by the Wayans standards, and some jokes haven't really aged well.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:57 pm 

putrevomitory wrote:
Defendor - The perfect antihero. Dude in his pursuit of heroic satisfaction gets his ass kicked, hauled, and mauled. Not to forget it features the great Kat Dennings. Things would have been much easier had Defendor acquired a (much shittier?) sidekick.
White Chicks - Starts off pretty horrible there is not even a chance to say the Wayans brothers are at it again without it degenerating first. Puerile even by the Wayans standards, and some jokes haven't really aged well.

Early 2000s/late 90s humor in general hasn't aged well at all. Back when nothing got more laughs than weight shaming or queer shaming. Terry Crews was probably the only redeeming factor of that movie, and that's not anywhere close to enough to saving it.

If you liked Defendor I'd recommend Special starring Michael Rappaport if you haven't seen that already.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:16 pm 

Return to Sleepaway Camp (2008)

20 years after the original movie, they reopen Camp Arawak with a different name and soon someone with giallo-like black gloves starts killing asshole teens and negligent counselors.

I know the theme of the series is bully teens doing nasty things then getting killed, but except for the murder scenes and segments involving the counselors, the entire movie is composed of the fat retarded fuck protagonist being humiliated and harassed in increasingly brutal ways. While the original was the only slasher movie on existence where the non-slashing plot was actually more interesting than the killings, the characters on this one are simply annoying dumbasses that you can't wait to see suffering a gruesome demise. Still, even if this movie is far from good, as a fanboy of the first movie I have to say that I had lots of fun seeing a direct sequel with returning characters that ditched that nonsense from the original trilogy sequels.

Also,
Spoiler: show
what the hell happened to the counselor that looked suspiciously like Angela? She seemed to disappear mid-film

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:03 am 

wraithlike wrote:

If you liked Defendor I'd recommend Special starring Michael Rappaport if you haven't seen that already.

Drug testing? Sounds like textbook bait to attract viewership, but could be fun so I'll check it out.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - Upping up their homage to past films like the last film, with more slapstick and action-pron. That arm had me split between Terminator and The Hand though the latter wins since it goes after its owner's (past) friends. Was the laser whip a call to Johnny Mnemonic's laser thumb? I still think that the first kingsman stacks up higher and the sequels will keep falling short of it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:51 pm 

https://www.rogerebert.com/mzs/avengers ... nt-endgame

Good piece...

Incidentally I did see Endgame over the weekend. Was good for what it was, i.e. a giant fanservice-y explosion-y blockbuster. Very well made, almost excruciatingly so, with some great atmosphere and action scenes and visuals. Stellar performances as per the norm. I haven't liked all of the Marvel movies but if you liked any of 'em you'll like this. It was exhausting though. Some of my friends saw it several times over the weekend and I can't imagine doing that.

Also saw Sun Don't Shine - a seedy offbeat thriller set in the back country roads of Florida. Unstable chick and her increasingly nervous boyfriend have to get a dead body into the ocean to hide it and keep running into obstacles. Made in that sort of arty indie style that keeps things coming quick and doesn't spare the uncomfortable moments - though it balances things out with some weirdo humor. I love fucked up stories about people who are wrong in the head. Amy Seimetz, from the new Pet Sematary, directed this and she knows what she's doing.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:48 pm 

Movie I just discovered that I fully intend to watch tomorrow because of how insane the premise is:

Escape from Tomorrow

It’s a surrealist horror film about a man who starts going insane while visiting Walt Disney World with his family. The movie was produced entirely at the real WDW, in secret, without the approval or knowledge of The Walt Disney Company, shot with handheld camcorders, and edited in fucking South Korea so as to keep the film completely under wraps from Disney until it was done.

I expect this to be the strangest thing ever.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:52 am 

Subrick wrote:
Movie I just discovered that I fully intend to watch tomorrow because of how insane the premise is:

Escape from Tomorrow

It’s a surrealist horror film about a man who starts going insane while visiting Walt Disney World with his family. The movie was produced entirely at the real WDW, in secret, without the approval or knowledge of The Walt Disney Company, shot with handheld camcorders, and edited in fucking South Korea so as to keep the film completely under wraps from Disney until it was done.

Supposedly it's incoherent garbage but based on what you've stated, my interest is piqued nonetheless. Thankfully it's on Shudder.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:44 am 

Subrick wrote:

Escape from Tomorrow

I remember hearing about this film when it came out, but I promptly forgot about it when it got weak reviews. It's got such a great and original premise though.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:06 pm 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Escape from Tomorrow

Supposedly it's incoherent garbage but based on what you've stated, my interest is piqued nonetheless. Thankfully it's on Shudder.

I checked it out a few years back. It's garbage, but worthwhile for the concept alone (guerrilla filming the movie under the guise of vacation footage).

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:33 am 

So yeah, Escape from Tomorrow was pretty fucking weird, undeniably ambitious, and quite intriguing.

Part of the appeal of this movie is the fact that they shot it in Disney World guerrilla-style without getting caught, and knowing that honestly kinda helped a bit in terms of the movie being able to keep my attention. Some of the shots, particularly those where the characters are on a dark ride like It's a Small World or Winnie the Pooh and the camera is off the train, in front of the characters, following them along from the floor of the ride, are mind boggling in terms of trying to figure out how the filmmakers were able to pull them off. Others, like anything where someone's in front of a green screen, look ridiculously bad and fake. Regardless, the movie's mere existence is fascinating, considering Disney could have shut this thing down immediately and not only never found out about it until release, but chose to ignore it and let the movie be, to the point that it now has an entry in the online Disney Encyclopedia.

Contrary to what some others say, I thought the movie was actually pretty easy to follow and understand, barring the last 30 minutes where the movie decides to get really artsy and starts going off the rails. Even then, there are things throughout the climax that were very clearly set up in the first 2/3 of the movie, so it's not like the weird shit just starts happening out of nowhere. I wouldn't say I was necessarily scared by the movie, but there's certainly a seriously creepy, bizarre tone to just about everything that goes on here. It's a very intentional juxtaposition of having a whole bunch of fucked up stuff happen at a Disney park, and it could have come off as extremely gimmicky, but I thought the movie did a great job at making the family come off natural and realistic within the scope of all the bizarre stuff happening to them.

Overall, I quite enjoyed Escape from Tomorrow. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but the crazy method of making the movie combined with the actual content itself is more than enough to make an interesting, entertaining surrealist picture. It's free on Youtube, so give it a watch when you can.

7.5/10

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:12 pm 

Bad Dreams - Psychiatric patients are dying in ways that resemble accidents or suicides. This might be because they're haunted by an evil man with a hideously scarred face who had burned to death years earlier ..... although he doesn't have a razor glove.

Released just over one year after A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, the similarities don't end there. They even had one of the supporting actresses from DW play the lead here. Somehow despite coming across as a shameless ripoff of a more popular franchise, this was kind of enjoyable. 6 / 10

The Girl in the Spider's Web - Didn't really need to see yet another Dragon Tattoo film with yet another Lisbeth. I only watched it because it was a $1 rental and I like Fede Alvarez's first two movies. My low expectations were probably why I found it passably entertaining. 6 / 10

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:10 pm 

I watched Errementari, the blacksmith and the devil, that don Vasco repeatedly pimped elsewhere and have to say it's quite good... could have used bit more budget, but is good (and touching) as such.

forgettable/regrettable ones: People you may know, Satan's slaves, they look like people, the shack. bleurgh.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:19 am 

While shopping for food at Grocery Outlet yesterday, I perused their $0.99 Blockbuster* DVDs and found The Host. Has anyone seen it? I've heard it's very good and have recently enjoyed a few other Korean flicks like The Wailing and Train To Busan so I thought I'd give it a try.

*They've got a ton of old Blockbuster rental DVDs in cardboard sleeves for super cheap. Some good ones too: I found a few Cronenberg flicks, for example.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:09 pm 

aloof wrote:
I watched Errementari, the blacksmith and the devil, that don Vasco repeatedly pimped elsewhere and have to say it's quite good... could have used bit more budget, but is good (and touching) as such.
forgettable/regrettable ones: People you may know, Satan's slaves, they look like people, the shack. bleurgh.

Who's this Don Vasco? :-P

You saw what? :roll:
https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=119558

Oh, man. Image

Sorry for the rec. Image

I must watch Outlaw King (https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film354455.html) tonight before my flight to Edimburg this sunday (https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=123359).

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:14 pm 

I quite liked The Host. I never figured out why it was called The Host and the ending is pretty fucking dark, but the creature effects were great. Loser dad with his weird family dynamic was a great character too.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:51 am 

GTog wrote:
I quite liked The Host. I never figured out why it was called The Host and the ending is pretty fucking dark, but the creature effects were great. Loser dad with his weird family dynamic was a great character too.

We just watched it the other night. My wife and I both liked it but didn't love it. Definitely worth the $0.99 though haha. The ending was a bit dark and not what I would've necessarily wanted, but I thought it was fitting and overall a good ending nonetheless. The humor and characters in it were very well done too. As for the title...

I think it's a red herring, which is a pretty bold move for a movie title but I appreciate that. There was all the talk in the film about the disease that necessitated the deadly gas. And the monster was the carrier - or host - of the disease. But as we learn late in the movie, no such disease ever existed.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:29 am 

So, I just saw Avengers: Endgame. I found it ok overall. Not Marvel's best. Yes, it's long, but it doesn't have to be. A LOT of the run time is self indulgent pathos about the "end of an era", Marvel-wise. There is easily 45m that could go.

- I don't care about Hawkeye's family. Nobody does. A 5 minute mention is all it should have been.
- Captain Marvel could have single-handedly won everything in under a minute. The writers seemed to know that, so kept making excuses why she was never around. "I have a lot of territory to cover!" Yeah, but Thanos, lady. Focus.
- The battle should have been longer and grander. Ultimate finale level epic. Instead it was mainly a showcase so all the Marvel heroes could get some screen time. Once everybody had a scene, it was like ok now we can wrap this up real quick. The end battle in Infinity War was actually better.
- Captain America's bit at the end would have made a good post credits scene. Didn't have to further pad the already bloated ending.
- Really spoilery spoilers:

So I guess Scarlett was done with the character. Black Widow's death was done well, and was surprising. And they made it really really clear that it was permanent and irreversible. I guess Paul Bettany is also done. Without a Mind Stone there can't be a Vision. And of course Downey and Evans. Their contracts were up so we knew they would be out. Everybody that came back was everybody who we already know has a sequel coming, so no surprises there.
I knew they would figure out how to get Gamora back, but it was unexpected how it was done, and should make Guardians 3 more interesting.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:53 am 

Let's Scare Jessica to Death - This was a killer vintage horror flick. Eerie and atmospheric - and the way the lead girl's mental illness is contrasted with spooky goings-on renders it a somewhat mysterious tale. The movie has a good feel for scares and unfolds in a dense fog of uncertainty as to what's really going on. Campy and pulp, but there's a genuine darkness to it that makes it work. I'll watch it again, definitely one to check out for Halloween eventually.

Detective Pikachu had a few funny moments that were mostly all Ryan Reynolds' doing and everything else was phoned in generic stuff you've seen in any below average kids movie. I know people might be like "well you can't expect Shakespeare or an Oscar winning movie" but yeah this was pretty bad really.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:26 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Oh, man. Image

Sorry for the rec. Image

no need to be sorry at all, it was a good film, and I wouldn't have heard about it without you :) sorry about the past nonsense :)

///

movies I liked: kill your friends, destroyer, hold the dark, kill the messenger

garbage: a vigilante, it (2017)

ho hum: phantom thread

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 pm 

I watched Avengers Endgame the other day. I'm not a fan of Marvel or superheroes in general, but I can enjoy them from time to time. As long as the action is good and the story is decent. The only Marvel movies I've seen are the 2006 Hulk (which I remember being quite average), Black Panther (it was entertaining and nice to watch), Logan (incredibly dark and violent, exactly how I want them to be, I fucking loved it! But is it the same universe?), and Infinity War, which had a lot of good action scenes. I also liked how they managed to put a lot of characters from different movies in the same story and still keeping it somewhat coherent.

So, with that in mind, I didn't care much about the whole first part of Endgame, which seemed too long. I'm not familiar with most of the characters and I didn't care/understand much of the characters' stories anyway, beside what happened with Thanos and how they live with it. That was a bit interesting, how the world deals with the loss of half of its population in an instant, but they didn't delve much into that. So, what's left is the action and well, it was quite disappointing. There was basically just one huge battle that was cool to watch as it sometimes made me think of Starcraft, but that's it. The previous action scenes were too short and just not enough to satisfy me.

Some things that bothered me with both Avengers movies, is everyone supposed to be of the same level of strength or what? Do all of those high-tech metal suits make their users "superheroes"? I mean, in the first movie, Spiderman got his suit from Iron Man, with those bonus legs that he instantly learns how to use, and he can engage Thanos, the strongest being in the universe, afterwards in battle just because he has a developed suit? And in the second movie, at the beginning of the last battle, how the hell could Thanos beat Thor (a literal god who had two magical weapons), Captain America and Iron Man on his own without the stones? Or is he supposed to be already super strong? But then if that were the case how could they kill him so easily in the future? And why didn't Thor use the gauntlet instead of Hulk? In the previous movie he took the full energy of a star and survived without a scratch.
How strong exactly is Captain Marvel? She said she'd take care of Thanos this time but the only thing she did was to destroy that big spaceship. She seemed to be incredibly strong but did next to nothing, it seemed to me.
Is Captain America wielding Mjolnir something usual?
I get a lot of these thoughts whenever I watch a superhero movie in general. Everyone seems to be of equal strength, until the plot decides otherwise, and it puts me off.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:13 pm 

Looks pretty gnarly:

(It's the new flick from the director of Hereditary.)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:13 pm 

Yessssss that looks so good to me. Feels like he's leaning all the way into Wicker Man influences. It looks like a horror film by Wes Anderson. So weird.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:31 pm 

All those things you pointed out Belial are just par for the Marvel course. Multiple aspects of Endgame were confusing, and the ones that weren't were boring. It was like they knew this one would make a kabillion dollars, so they weren't trying very hard.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:11 am 

Kerrick wrote:
Looks pretty gnarly:

(It's the new flick from the director of Hereditary.)
Hope this one is better than his last; not that I hated Hereditary or anything, but I was rather disappointed in the direction it went in during the 2nd half, and the overall film was definitely my most disappointing cinematic experience of 2018, relative to expectations. But, it is fortunate that I checked out the AV Club for articles about it recently, as that lead me to this link to an older interview they did with him, which has some particularly telling quotes that reveal how Hereditary eventually turned an undisciplined, meaningless grabbag/mish-mash of elements lifted from other, better films:

AV Club: It sounds like the way you constructed the film was very reference-heavy. With this film, or with anything that you’re making, do you start with story or do you start with imagery?

Ari Aster: I usually start with images and set pieces, and then from there I build a general story that can tie those things together.

AVC: There’s recurring imagery of decapitation in the film. Does that have some kind of significance for you?

AA: Nothing that I could articulate in a way that would be satisfying, or would help the film. I think it’s better to leave that to the viewer.

AVC: The thing that really knocked me for a loop was [redacted] early on in the film. It reminded me of Psycho, where Janet Leigh dies partway through and you’re just like, “What the hell is going to happen now?” How did that work for you in terms of story?

Ari: I mean, Psycho was the reference for that. Another reference was In The Bedroom—that was another film we were talking about—which also does something similar.

Ari: ...we’ve established a few things with Charlie. She seems to be like a variation on the bad seed character. She’s a update on Damien, right? From The Omen.

Ari: ...there’s this brilliant Polish film by Andrzej Wajda called Ashes And Diamonds [from 1958] that has a very striking image film of an upside-down crucifix that has a very specific, simple, steel-pronged halo. And I just ripped that off.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:34 am 

john Wick 3- pretty much the first two meets The Raid. Highly recommended to see in Dolby Atmos.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:42 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
john Wick 3- pretty much the first two meets The Raid. Highly recommended to see in Dolby Atmos.

Holy shit, that sounds fantastic. Does it push the neo-noir even further? That they got right.
Baby Driver - Amazed at how this got such hight ratings even though it looked like fodder for tvtropes, which actually it was. Apparently they want to point out that one cannot always have the option of disappearing down to Mexico after an irredeemable fuck-up.
Hotel Artemis - A dystopian view that revolves around a limited number of characters and how their decisions affect each other. It ties the street bois to the cream they at times work for by a common underground establishment that is not so secret/exclusive. Not a bad take.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:16 pm 

putrevomitory wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

Holy shit, that sounds fantastic. Does it push the neo-noir even further? That they got right.

Wasnt even aware until I read a review last night, but (not a big spoiler)
two guys from The Raid are in this
. This is what the shitty Expendables franchise shouldve been.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:00 am 

Them (Ils) - Is this considered the definitive home invasion movie? I thought it was pretty weak. Not even the supposedly shocking final 10 - 15 minutes managed to grab me. 4 / 10

Tomb Raider (2018) - I re-watched the first Angelina Jolie version a couple months ago, and I think this new one is better. Besides not giving Boyd from Justified enough to do as the villain, there wasn't much to complain about. The action was entertaining and coherent, and Alicia Ex Machina was believable running around and doing physical stuff. And she has killer abs! 7 / 10

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:02 am 

John Wick 3 was absolutely fucking incredible. There's just so much to unpack. So many vicious memorable kills. John Wick has never killed dudes so fucking hard before. I'm excited to go see it a second time next weekend.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:27 am 

edit

Last edited by StryckenFromHistory on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:05 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:

Wasnt even aware until I read a review last night, but (not a big spoiler)
two guys from The Raid are in this
. This is what the shitty Expendables franchise shouldve been.

Uh, the Expendables. More like a washed supergroup trying to cash in on their not any more star-power. Even with that given, they could only managed to rope in Van Damme with a little screen time, as a villain, in the second film.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:12 pm 

Quote:
[Them / Ils] was garbage when it came out.

I watched it on a legal streaming service and it looked like VHS picture quality. "That's OK," I told myself, "it'll be like Texas Chainsaw Massacre where the cheap visuals make everything more gritty and intense."

I was wrong. It was just a few days ago and I've already forgotten almost everything about it except the feeling of really, that's it? when it ended. Even second-rate home invasion like The Strangers: Prey at Night was more enjoyable to me.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:07 pm 

The first The Strangers was actually a remake of Ils.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:40 pm 

'Them' was a total mess and a clusterfuck - not good at all. It's been even longer since I saw The Strangers but I remember it being better.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:32 pm 

Watched a couple of movies:

mother! - Probably late to the game on this one. I guess like other people have said, this was more, ummm, "enjoyable" (in an extremely anxiety-inducing way) in roughly the first half of the movie, when the characters are characters. Later on the allegorical elements completely take over and it ceases to be a movie with any aspect of reality represented anymore, and none of the characters matter, so I stopped caring despite the spectacle being ramped up to a ridiculous degree. Meh. Far from my favorite Aronofsky.

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile - I don't really understand this movie at all. This is a metal forum so I'm not gonna spoiler tag this. I have no idea what kind of stuff was in the trailer or promotional material, but basically this is a Ted Bundy biopic that seems targeted at people who have no idea who Ted Bundy is. They seemed to go out of their way not to mention him by name until it was basically inevitable, and they don't show him committing any of his crimes. Instead, he's kind of the hero of the movie until the very end. I guess what they were trying to do is make us identify with his girlfriend Liz, who was drawn in by his charms and lived in denial of what he was for fifteen years. Kind of an interesting concept, I guess, but I felt the way it was done really minimized the impact of what a monster he actually was, and wasn't really fair to the victims as a result. If you know anything about Bundy this will seem silly, and even if you don't the Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix are a far better look into who he was, and don't weirdly cast him as a good guy, either.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:52 am 

The wife and I watched Black Snow the other night. I would not recommend. We both really like Ricardo Darin and he's usually in pretty good stuff though this one was a bit dull up until the ending - which wasn't dull, though left both of us just feeling kinda icky. Stick to The Secret In Their Eyes (the original version...) or Nine Queens if you like Ricardo Darin.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:23 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Watched a couple of movies:
Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile - I don't really understand this movie at all. This is a metal forum so I'm not gonna spoiler tag this. I have no idea what kind of stuff was in the trailer or promotional material, but basically this is a Ted Bundy biopic that seems targeted at people who have no idea who Ted Bundy is. They seemed to go out of their way not to mention him by name until it was basically inevitable, and they don't show him committing any of his crimes. Instead, he's kind of the hero of the movie until the very end. I guess what they were trying to do is make us identify with his girlfriend Liz, who was drawn in by his charms and lived in denial of what he was for fifteen years. Kind of an interesting concept, I guess, but I felt the way it was done really minimized the impact of what a monster he actually was, and wasn't really fair to the victims as a result. If you know anything about Bundy this will seem silly, and even if you don't the Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix are a far better look into who he was, and don't weirdly cast him as a good guy, either.

This is almost word-for-word how I feel about the movie. It was a pretty big let down. It seems like they were trying to make you see Ted Bundy the same way the public eye perceived him at the time: charming, handsome, "not the type". They reinforced this by only showing his charming moments, and simply alluding to the awful shit he was doing behind the scenes. It wasn't effective because FUCKING DUH we all know the story at this point. The grisly, horrifying details.

The documentary is incredible. The movie was basically nonsense.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:32 pm 

Yeah, I feel like that is what they were trying to do, but like, who the shit doesn't know who Ted Bundy is? Even if you don't know very much at all, I think the average joe is gonna hear "Ted Bundy" and think, "oh, the serial killer dude." At this point I feel like him being this charming guy who couldn't possibly have been a fucked up serial killer is way more unbelievable than the "at the time" angle. Like what next, a Hitler biopic where he's like a chill vegan artist family man and the Jews just being like regular ass people who he scapegoated and genocided is the twist ending?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 730, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 736 ... 818  Next