Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:49 am 

Pretty self-explanatory. Post death metal album covers that resonate with you BUT EXPLAIN WHY. Feel free to post as much as you want. The more the merrier.

Killing Addiction - The Omega Factor

It wasn't until Xtreem Music's re-issue that I stood up and took notice of this gorgeous piece. I've mentioned this before in a previous thread, but I just love the juxtaposition of alien Finndeath-style landscapes and Voivod's dystopian sci-fi elements. The brutalist architecture in the back gives me A Clockwork Orange vibes as well.

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:28 am 

Infester - To The Depths In Degradation

It's nearly as creepy and obtuse as the record itself. Everything is drawn so chalky and minimalist in a way that everything looks so hazy and removed but you can still barely depict what's happening. All the humans with removed skin, some holding removed limbs, others profusely vomiting and hacking. The wizard guy in the centre and the oddly clearly drawn pyre make it all even stranger.

Obituary-Cause of Death

This one is just trippy as hell. There's a giant eye in the background with a nictitating membrane half-open, some mummy guy floating in mid-air, a pile of skulls, a tree with faces coming out of it, an annular solar eclipse in the background, and the giant tube worms coming out of the ground. The blue and red colour scheme makes it even more trippy. Every time I listen to this record I just end up staring at this cover wondering what the hell they were on when it was drawn.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:18 am 

I've loved this ever since I first saw it. I find it to be a very evocative piece... as if you can feel the cold chill of the night, the searing heat of the lava, the roar of the falling water...

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:22 am 

This one is just creepy and unforgettable, I can't think of anything else to say.

This one is probably my favorite in the traditional school of death metal album covers. I have a thing for chiaroscuro and the painting suggests a sense of urgency (with the creatures just waiting the night to strike) that I think is crucial to death metal

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:52 am 

That Brutality cover is certainly dripping with malevolence. However, I'd be lying to myself if I didn't say I prefer the psychedelic, maximalist art style
of their debut.

Also, thanks to everyone so far for providing explanations. Keep them coming!

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:10 am 

Agreed on When the Sky Turns Black, I'd honestly say that's one of my favorite album covers of all time. One of the most "atmospheric" covers I've ever laid my eyes on, very ominous and leaves a lot to the imagination (in a good way).

Anyway, here's a handful that came to mind:

Similar to the Infester one mentioned earlier, this art really stands out to me because it so perfectly incapsulates the overall vibe and feel of the music (not to mention, lyrical content). One of the most depraved, psychotic-sounding bands I've ever had the (dis?)pleasure of listening to, and the cover perfectly reflects that. It's crude and sort of amateurish, and it's obviously far from realistic - but there's a sort of genuinely "sick" quality to it that you don't usually find in death metal art, that gives the impression that the artist who drew the cover (the band's guitarist) had some legitimate mental issues.

Don't think I've ever heard anyone mention this one, but it's always been a favorite of mine. Such a weird, creepy image...looks like some weird moth creature descending to devour a sacrifice - all while summoners writhe and dance in the background amidst the billowing dust/sand.

This is one of the ultimate "what the fuck am I looking at" album covers...but another case where it leaves a lot to the imagination and perfectly captures the "decrepit & majestic" vibe of the music itself. Not to mention, it's iconic as fuck.

Recently scored an original press of this album with the proper artwork...real shame they never used this on any of the later reissues (even if those artworks are passable if not cheesy). Anyway, this art just has such a cold, gloomy atmosphere to it. It feels so melancholy and sad, while at the same time majestic and kingly, I guess. I really love the look of the skyline, the heavens opening up and whatnot.

Necrolord did a few of these kind of "collage" artworks (Desultory's Bitterness, At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul, etc.) but this has always been my favorite. This is actually the 2012 reissue art (the original was just this on a tiny square surrounded by blue - looks dated and cheesy as fuck), but it's such an absolutely gorgeous piece that I honestly don't care. Has a really strong "autumn" vibe, and unlike the other collage covers I mentioned which tend to convey an atmosphere of sorrow or hatred, this one feels more mysterious, and conveys a sense of wonder and almost excitement, which is reflected in the lyrics to some of the songs ("A caress of stars, A silhouette in the twilight sky, The daybreak sets on silver seas, My name echoes through Crimson hills...On the horizon, where seas meet clouds, A scenery shimmers beyond reality, I glance a world as a recent lit star, I am swallowed by universe")

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:00 pm 

Morbid Angel - Covenant

Totally oozing atmosphere! It truly feels like some evil ritual or incantation happened is about to happen. Reminds of some older horror movies.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:36 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Like an Ever Flowing Stream

Dan Seagrave covers are all fucking great (well, except Stillborn), but if I had to choose the best, it would be Penetralia

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:45 pm 

I could stare at this for hours. A nightmarish, apocalyptic vista, where the only barely familiar shapes are distorted beyond any rational physical limit, as if to taunt your senses and assure you that yes, what you called reality is but a misshapen echo of a fading vision, and the churning unknown beckons.

This is exactly what listening to this album feels like to me. A perfect match, in addition to an outstanding piece on its own.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:56 pm 

I always liked that Obituary one. It always reminded me of Lovecraft for some reason- I think there was even a Lovecraft volume that used artwork similar to that.

I always thought The "Left Hand Path" (Entombed) artwork was pretty cool, too. I loved the intracasies of it, and the depth of view and the overall detail of it.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:28 pm 

Sulphur aeon - Gateway to the antisphere, by Par Olofsson, especially the extended artwork, as shown in the vinyl

Spoiler: show

First because it's monstrous (one of the first adjectives that come to my mind when I think of death metal), then it's so complex and detailed. Fucking perfect.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:51 pm 

Osmiumthemetal wrote:
Obituary-Cause of Death

This one is just trippy as hell. There's a giant eye in the background with a nictitating membrane half-open, some mummy guy floating in mid-air, a pile of skulls, a tree with faces coming out of it, an annular solar eclipse in the background, and the giant tube worms coming out of the ground. The blue and red colour scheme makes it even more trippy. Every time I listen to this record I just end up staring at this cover wondering what the hell they were on when it was drawn.

Oxenkiller wrote:
I always liked that Obituary one. It always reminded me of Lovecraft for some reason- I think there was even a Lovecraft volume that used artwork similar to that.

Michael Whelan's "Lovecraft's Nightmare". I remember years ago on this board someone also linked a movie / tv shot I think of that box full of arms on the right side. Can't find it anymore but I still remember it to this day.

So many Dan Seagrave artworks belong here. Dozens that I could just name off like Penetralia, Erosion of Sanity, Like an Ever Flowing Stream, Clandestine, Carnage, etc. Nick Keller and Paolo Girardi also do exceptional work. I'd want to say Like an Ever Flowing Stream since that's also my favorite death metal album. However, I'll put up one from a band that I'm actually not that big into as a whole, Nile.

I remember when AOTW was the newest Nile album at the time and it blew me away. That was 2006 and my ears were not yet trained to take on something that brutal and heavy. I came back to it later and it became something that I still love to this day. It not only has their best music (haven't heard any of their albums in full after it actually), but that artwork is sublime. The super vibrant red, the flames, the way the smoke blends in behind the ornate gold - it has a very appealing look to it as opposed to the rawer early covers and the blander newer covers. It sticks out in their discography as this red-hot, epic firestorm of an album cover. Appealing to look at while being easy on the eyes (if you can handle the saturation cranked like that). They got the symmetry and atmosphere right without overdoing it (and thank hell the font fits well with the art style).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Burning_Missive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:21 pm 

I've loved this album cover from the moment I saw it. I was in the final stretch of film school when it came out and I had a massive hard-on for all things film noir. This was long enough ago that we we're still shooting on super 8 and 16mm film and I was really big on lighting my films in the film noir style. When I saw this cover, I took time taking in the composition, the lighting and making up my own backstory as to what had occurred before the photo was shot. The man is clearly looking out the door way with a cigarette, standing there dwelling over what he had seen/what he had done. Because we can't see his face, we don't know if this is a moment of satisfaction, reflection, anguish, etc. It's literally left to the viewer to use their imagination and I love that. It might not look like much, but getting that photo the way they did was no easy task. It's masterful photography that looks deceptively simple.

It also happens to be my favorite death metal album of all time.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:48 am 

I think people forget that Dan Seagrave is still around and has done some awesome work recently. Both the Memoriam covers, but especially The Silent Vigil, are so detailed and otherworldly. In this one, it just opens your mind to all the possibilities that another civilization could be there and what they could be doing.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:01 am 

Keeping with the sci fi themes of the band, I think the artist they hired for this piece nailed it, with it even evoking similarities of localized ecosystems as portrayed in the Independence Day mothership.

ShreddedHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:21 am 

Immolation - Dawn of Possession has always been my favorite album cover. A horde of black angels lacerating white angels in a blood red sky. Nothing is more metal than that.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:23 am 

deopisi wrote:
Sulphur aeon - Gateway to the antisphere, by Par Olofsson, especially the extended artwork, as shown in the vinyl

First because it's monstrous (one of the first adjectives that come to my mind when I think of death metal), then it's so complex and detailed. Fucking perfect.

+1 for me. Perfect album cover, conjuring the eldritch horror the bands music invokes.

Here's my take.

Vader - De Profundis. Love the colour scheme and the otherwordly, Lovecraftian terror of beyond. Fantastic album also.

Desolate Shrine - Tenebrous Towers. Again, outstanding palette, not disguising the ominous nature of the artwork, and sinister tone of the album as a whole.

Angelcorpse - Exterminate. Completely in your face, over the top, garish and utterly encapsulates the vicious creation that is is Exterminate.

Necros Christos - Triune Impurity Rites. One of my favourite, modern DM albums of all time, and I'm a huge fan of the occult, ritualistic simplicity perfectly matching the atmosphere and tone of this masterpiece.

Absu - Barathrum: V.I.T.R.I.O.L. (Osmose version). Whatever they are now, there is no denying that the debut is some solid, occult themed DM - and a great one at that. Same with this album as with the Necros Christos record. Really like the cult priest front and center, with the band members in the background. Simple but effective.

(spoilered for size)

Vanhelgd - Temple of Phobos. Just perfection really from an outstanding DM act, from an outstanding album. I love all of Vanhelgd's album covers actually, especially the last couple - and the border style sets it apart from contemporary acts worldwide.

Engulfed - Engulfed in Obscurity. Do I really need to explain this? You all have eyes yes? Just stunning, as is this colossal, crushing album.

Lantern - Subterranean Effulgence. Love the stark contrast of the logo against the monochrome (and detailed) artwork, with beams of light emanating from the center of the piece.

Trenchrot - Necronomic Warfare. Maybe a slight nod to Evil Dead, doesn't take anything away from it. Ripping art for a ripping record.

Asphyx - On the Wings of Inferno. Simple and to the point, pretty much exactly like Asphyx, and this album. Awesomely sinister.

Belial - Wisdom of Darkness. As amateurish as this is, I can't help but love it. Mixed with a large chunk of nostalgia, it just reminds me of the nineties (and my youth haha). Still a solid, murky slab of black/death.

Funebrarum - Beneath the Columns of Abandoned Gods. Grim and slightly off. So just like the album itself.

Drawn And Quartered - Return of the Black Death. This is some rather strange, but awesome art, backed by some dense, savage tunes. Great use of colour and... just weird images thrown together in a collage of perversity and nightmarish horror.

My collection

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:46 am 

Tetragrammacide. Love the "multiple realities and existential planes" feeling. Very esoteric, like an ancient drawing from an archaic book on how to invoke something awful.

Teitanblood. Not a lot to say about this, pure madness. Really like how expressive it is using just b/w.

Wrathprayer. I'm not even sure what it is but it looks fucking evil and menacing.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:24 am 

Lane wrote:
Morbid Angel - Covenant

Totally oozing atmosphere! It truly feels like some evil ritual or incantation happened is about to happen. Reminds of some older horror movies.

Agreed. It's both one of my favorite albums and album covers. So simple yet ominous.

Lord_Jotun wrote:

I could stare at this for hours. A nightmarish, apocalyptic vista, where the only barely familiar shapes are distorted beyond any rational physical limit, as if to taunt your senses and assure you that yes, what you called reality is but a misshapen echo of a fading vision, and the churning unknown beckons.

This is exactly what listening to this album feels like to me. A perfect match, in addition to an outstanding piece on its own.

This too. It's so unsettling. Not a lot of artwork makes me feel as uneasy as this one.

ShreddedHuman wrote:

Immolation - Dawn of Possession has always been my favorite album cover. A horde of black angels lacerating white angels in a blood red sky. Nothing is more metal than that.

Another good one is Here in After.

So full of torture and agony. They've had some amazing album covers, especially the early stuff.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:13 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Wrathprayer. I'm not even sure what it is but it looks fucking evil and menacing.

Great choice, absolutely menacing.

About Teitanblood, I prefer the Death cover, ultra-dark and solemn.

I continue with recent things. Artificial brain full lengths covers are phenomenal and fit perfectly with their themes.

Well you can't go wrong choosing Paolo Girardi and Adam Burke.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:38 pm 

Few choice ones not mentioned so far.

I know for a fact some people hate it due to the triangles. I don't mind them, the cover with its composition, color palette and such is really ominous and sci-fi, which I happen to love.

This is another quirky favorite of mine. That skeletal creature is just too cool.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:59 pm 

Lots of good stuff here!

It's impossible for me to pick a favorite, i just came here to mention Darkthrone's Soulside Journey: i love the vast, mysterious lanscape and the cold color palette, with those ominous gears on top of all

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:54 pm 

Catacomb - The Lurker at the Threshold / In the Maze of Kadath
It may be the artwork for a compilation rather than a standard full-length release, but I fucking love it. I have a soft spot for lovecraftian inspired work and the black and white gray tone murkiness makes it look ancient as fuck. Slow, lumbering, and otherworldly.

Abominator - Subversives for Lucifer
If an armored scythe wielding war pig like Lucifer sitting on a throne of skulls in a volcanic wasteland isn't death metal, I don't know what is. The glowing color palette, and attention to detail brings it right on home for me.

Crimson Relic - Purgatory's Reign
Super surreal, with a lack of any real perspective. Hard to tell what exactly is going on in this cover, but the abstractness adds to the atmosphere. The withered form of demon or possible angel engulfed in boney spines, roots, and dragon feels esoteric but also symbolic. This mirrors the almost majestic touches found in Crimson Relic's doom death formula

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:36 pm 

Great mention with Catacomb. Cthulhu's hypnotizing gaze is probably my favorite part of that cover.

Hardware - Souls Vortex

I love it because its a big "fuck you" to subtlety, and I'd rank it up there with classics like "Severed Survival" and "Butchered at Birth" as covers that didn't shy away from the gore. Like Killing Addiction's Omega Factor, it combines essentially two of my favorite things (Sci-fi and horror) into some twisted, nightmarish amalgam. There's also a strangely hypnagogic quality to it due to its wonderful rendering and colours.

Antropormorphia - Necromantic Love Songs

It's not an overly gory cover, but its certainly morbid as hell. The muted, ashen colors I find very pleasing to look at, and concept-wise reminds me a lot of VHS covers from the bygone Video Nasties era (ie: Night of the Creeps)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:09 pm 

Spoilered for size.

Dan Seagrave's ultimate masterpiece to many, myself included. If ever you wanted an album art that perfectly fits the music it represents, this would be it. It has always amused me that the bridge technically goes to the right here, however.

I've never been that big of a Benediction listener, but this art has always stood out to me. I've always thought of this as being what the water from the art on Like an Ever Flowing Stream is flowing from.

You honestly could put just about every album art from a Death album on here, but this is my personal favorite. It feels like something out of a horror movie, which perfectly fits Scream Bloody Gore, what with it being basically the metal equivalent of a movie like The Evil Dead.

Just looking at this album art for the first time made me an Amorphis fan. Yet another album art that perfectly represents the music. The soothing blue sky, calm waterway, and night setting fit so well with the laid back, doomy nature of Tales from the Thousand Lakes, while the jagged mountains and thorns throughout represent the retained death metal elements from the previous album.

The religious background of the art itself doesn't have much, if any, to do with the music, but something about the dead eyed stare of Herodias alongside the severed head of John the Baptist feels so fitting with the vibe of poetic psychopathy found within the lyrics of None So Vile.

A mysterious, unknown group of shadowy figures lurk from within a tattered forest, ominous as one can be. Blackwater Park is Opeth's most evil sounding album, while also retaining a dark, sad beauty to it, and I can't think of an image more fitting for the music than this one.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

xxld1k
The Sweetest Summer Child EVER!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:23 am 

I like art where a person is standing, thinking "Why the fuck am I going in here?"

Vastum - Patricidal Lust. The detail and the bat...

I am a big fan of the artwork of a board game called Cave Evil and i'm happy to see one of the artists for them doing metal covers. Think he has also done most of the Spectral Voice album art.

Leviathan/Crawl split. Beings living in catacombs for years....

https://www.last.fm/user/xxld1k

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:47 pm 

Suffocation - Blood Oath

Pierced from Witihin is a close second, but for me Blood Oath's cover is the most brutal of them all. Everything is so sharp and blood red. One of my favorite shirts too.

Nocturnus - Thresholds

Sick sci-fi space ambience in this one.

Incantation - Diabolical Conquest

This could have gone to any Incantation album cover, but I think that this one is the trippiest and creepiest.

Autopsy - Mental Funeral

Classic biomass of teeth, claws and eyes!

DullMetalJacket
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:40 am 

I normally am not a huge fan of Sci-Fi themed album covers because there tends to be too many over-the-top spaceships/lasers/aliens, but Dark Millennium gets it just right. The center portion of the image just feels like another planet---strangely familiar, yet entirely alien. The left and right portion seem like some outer realm of pure information, and the pattern that carries over makes it seem interdimensionally connected to this otherwordly desert planet. It fits the music quite well, I might add.

As metalheads, we are prone to desensitization with all the images of death that we see in our field of interest. Sometimes we forget how terrifying just a plain old dead body can be. Adramelech's Psychostasia is really creepy in an understated way. Each face, at a differing level of decay, has it's own unique expression that's entirely un-lifelike. And that hammer-head shark looking demon captures everything about the grim reaper archetype in an aesthetically novel way.

I'm a big fan of Turkka Rantanen's work. That's why I had him to my band's album cover. Normally he does digital these days, but we insisted that he went back to acrylics. After a bunch of back and forth, and digital drafts, he came up with something that uses quite a bit more perspective and detail than his 90's paintings, while still capturing his oldschool signature. Here's the album cover itself:

And here's the whole thing (which will wrap around onto a gatefold):

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:46 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I always thought The "Left Hand Path" (Entombed) artwork was pretty cool, too. I loved the intracasies of it, and the depth of view and the overall detail of it.

This one's my favorite too. It just has such a powerful mood, and you can really get lost in staring at it. It's so oddly inviting too, in a morbid way--how that pathway just beckons. I've never felt so compelled to step inside an album cover.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:21 am 

Another vote for Blackwater Park, which may be one of my favourite album covers of all time. I think the art looks like the music sounds.

Also, NO ONE has mentioned any Cannibal Corpse yet? Fuck, I'm not even a big CC fan, but I love the artwork on Tomb Of The Mutilated. (No need to post it, we will know what the uncensored one looks like. Iconic.)

I also really love this one by Bloodbath. Almost a death-metal version of The Beatles' Let It Be (and yes, I will include the obvious rip-off from Death Breath, just for reference, even though I don't like it.)

Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage

Death Breath - Let It Stink

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:45 am 

Impureza - La Iglesia Del Odio
I really love medieval times and related artwork and this one feels epic. there are a few more I cannot find at the moment.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:27 pm 

Malevolent Creation - Retribution

the man in the shadow is still a mystery (wildly happy when I finally got the t-shirt of this phenomenal album)

Carcass - Necroticism

The band and the hand

Entombed - Clandestine
To this day, I still don't know if it's a hand with fingers, 5 people wearing hoodies (personifying the band) or just a rock.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:39 pm 

The Chasm - Procreation of the Inner Temple
Huge fan of this one as well. It's dark and brooding, but also mythic and ancient. It has a majestic flare to it and really compliments the sound of the record as a whole beautifully.

babysgottalocomotive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:02 pm 

DullMetalJacket wrote:

I'm a big fan of Turkka Rantanen's work. That's why I had him to my band's album cover. Normally he does digital these days, but we insisted that he went back to acrylics. After a bunch of back and forth, and digital drafts, he came up with something that uses quite a bit more perspective and detail than his 90's paintings, while still capturing his oldschool signature. Here's the album cover itself:

And here's the whole thing (which will wrap around onto a gatefold):

You've got an instant fan in me. The artwork for your upcoming release is fantastic and so are the tunes on your bandcamp. Thanks for making your logo just decipherable enough to search for.

DullMetalJacket
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:09 am 

babysgottalocomotive wrote:
You've got an instant fan in me. The artwork for your upcoming release is fantastic and so are the tunes on your bandcamp. Thanks for making your logo just decipherable enough to search for.

Oh wow, you actually took the initiative to check us out. Thank you! Funny that you say that about the logo. I actually intended to make it seem illegible until one actually tries to read it. It felt a bit boastful to post about my own band in this thread, so I decided not to include the band name---that way it wouldn't seem too tacky. Anyway, thank you for the support, and the album will not disappoint. Cheers!

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:26 am 

true_death wrote:

This is one of the ultimate "what the fuck am I looking at" album covers...but another case where it leaves a lot to the imagination and perfectly captures the "decrepit & majestic" vibe of the music itself. Not to mention, it's iconic as fuck.

exactly, i think it took me about a year to figure out what this was
i had the long-sleeve shirt of this album too
the image was just a big mess haha, but i loved it

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:14 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:01 pm 

exsiccation wrote:
Sneaking this one in here because I like it so much, even though it's not really death metal. I love Monotheist's album art. Super creepy and not-quite-right, but also intimate and kind of hypnotic. The subtle asymmetry works really well to enhance that feeling of unease

I don't know if you've seen the whole art, looks like this:

Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:23 am 

I'm going to post the obvious band because Cannibal Corpse are the Iron Maiden of death metal and Vincent Locke is their Derek Riggs. The covers are so creative, brilliant and downright "cool". My absolute favourite is one of the least gory, though.

It's pretty disturbing seeing this one figure get slowly necrotised into the wall of dead flesh. It's definitely taken off some of H.R. Giger's fleshscapes - it's a clever tessellation of the bodies into a continuous pattern. Sadly it got censored as a ridiculously close detail of the veins creeping up the guy's torso (which incidentally, shows how painterly Locke is) even though it's not really explicit.

Subrick wrote:
Spoilered for size.

Dan Seagrave's ultimate masterpiece to many, myself included. If ever you wanted an album art that perfectly fits the music it represents, this would be it. It has always amused me that the bridge technically goes to the right here, however.

Seagrave did his early 90s works as "off-the-peg" works and bands chose them rather than commissioned them. That's why this only slightly fits the album, and also has the rather personal inscription on the tombstone.

Reply to topic