raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:37 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:

what the hell happened here

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:51 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Has it been long enough for us to ask what happened with Emptiness Cycle? His bizarrely intricate knowledge of obscure NS bands was always intriguing to me, and it's noticeably lacking now that he's been booted.

He did some really awful and disrespectful things and got caught lying to users and staff alike. That should suffice.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:49 am 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
What accesses does a banned user retain? I know they can't modify any data but they can submit reports. Can they still modify their collections and profiles, or delete reviews they had previously submitted?

Admins temporarily ban users on request, so you can find out. If a user is busy outside of MA but still visiting out of addiction and losing time, they can ask to be banned. There is even one staffer who I once saw do this a long time ago, when he wasn't a staffer. He got all his points back when he was unbanned.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:00 pm 

So, regarding links in reviews. Anything published from Indy Metal Vault (or the very occasional Antichrist) I always use the <a> thing, but you can't actually click the link, however it highlights it (see my Serpent's Kiss review for an example). Am I doing something wrong, or is that correct, and it just means you're supposed to copy and paste it in a new tab?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:48 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
So, regarding links in reviews. Anything published from Indy Metal Vault (or the very occasional Antichrist) I always use the <a> thing, but you can't actually click the link, however it highlights it (see my Serpent's Kiss review for an example). Am I doing something wrong, or is that correct, and it just means you're supposed to copy and paste it in a new tab?

Fixed the link in your latest review. I think you can check the change out in the "edit" tab if my explanation isn't clear. <a> is a rather general term and actually not the complete thing. If you want a completely working link, you gotta add <a href="link">name of the link</a>.
In order to make the link pop up in a separate tab (which is not a bad thing), you have to add <a href="link" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Name of link </a>

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:46 pm 

Oh wow then a lot of mine are done wrong but whatever haha. Thanks!

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:02 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
Admins temporarily ban users on request, so you can find out. If a user is busy outside of MA but still visiting out of addiction and losing time, they can ask to be banned. There is even one staffer who I once saw do this a long time ago, when he wasn't a staffer. He got all his points back when he was unbanned.

First time I've heard this, HS. You live and learn.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:27 am 

Yeah, I mean technically, but I don't think I've ever seen it happen except for that one special case HS mentioned.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:04 am 

Is it too soon to ask what happened to Defreasis? He wasn't proven guilty, was he? I actually trusted the guy. :/

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:20 am 

Antioch wrote:
Is it too soon to ask what happened to Defreasis? He wasn't proven guilty, was he? I actually trusted the guy. :/

He pretty much disappeared after asking to change accounts. We really don't know what actually happened to him either.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:22 am 

...into thin air. Guess we'll have to wait and see whether he'll ever resurface again. :)

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:19 pm 

Is there a reason so many users are hovering right at 5000 points? Do you need approval to continue as a Metal Freak or something?

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:31 pm 

With the introduction of v2 in 2011, the thresholds for various ranks were raised, among them Metal Freak to 5000. I believe Veteran+ users that would've reverted to a lower rank simply had their points increased to the amount required to retain their rank. What you are seeing are such users who simply haven't contributed anything since then.

You can actually observe the same pattern at 1000 points (Veteran).

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:38 am 

What's the breakdown on how to earn points in V2? I can't seem to find a rules page. Do you still earn points for reviews?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:40 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/content/help#tab_ranks
->points

Yes you do ;)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:55 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
He did some really awful and disrespectful things and got caught lying to users and staff alike. That should suffice.

The real question is if the Nick Quarm duplicate account theory proved to be correct.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Erosion of Humanity wrote:

The real question is if the Nick Quarm duplicate account theory proved to be correct.

What was the last thing you remember hearing about this? Maybe something did happen afterwards.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:04 pm 

Actually the last thing I remember was Emptiness Cycle adding me on last.fm, having a profile pic that looked exactly like Intoxicata and listening to the same kind of music, and I asked if that's him, and he gave me one of those denials that sound as believable as these recent "I got leftover Ascension Momuments Media stock but I don't know the person"-stories showing up on discogs under a different name once a month.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:23 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Actually the last thing I remember was Emptiness Cycle adding me on last.fm, having a profile pic that looked exactly like Intoxicata and listening to the same kind of music, and I asked if that's him, and he gave me one of those denials that sound as believable as these recent "I got leftover Ascension Momuments Media stock but I don't know the person"-stories showing up on discogs under a different name once a month.

Yeah, it turned out Intoxicata was one of his early aliases. He went full CK and had many different accounts at different times.

And about your denial example, dude, I laughed so hard my jaw hurts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:34 pm 

I knew it. I should have asked him for more secret information on his authentic Boreb demo.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:35 pm 

Well, that sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole of MA searching. I don't remember intoxicata/xerxes the immoral at all.

Intoxicata wrote:
RickJames wrote:
Crack Smoking Serial Riffer of the Netherworlds. Not sure if the Purifying flame of devouring Hate happens to revel in it's disgust for me. Let's battle trolls. End

The Purifying Flame Rages and creates a gaping gash on the anus of you and your kin.

this post made me chuckle though

UltraBoris
Speed Metal Satan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:32 am 

>. UltraBoris was something of a legend at one point but his disappearance was not a momentous watershed moment whose portent everyone understood at the time. It was just some guy not posting anymore, and over time a bunch of his reviews got deleted because they were in point of fact shit.

I mean, goddamn, how could you think otherwise?

listen to the false shit. it's occasionally cool as cryo balls. (now slamming: Grand Declaration of War. truth is overrated. trueness doubly so.)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:33 am 

Hi

Searching for your username again? :)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:55 am 

Gotta love the annual "Boris searches his name on the forum" tradition. Must've been on the sauce again.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:04 am 

A true warrior has their name on google alerts so they can draw steel at any moment's notice.

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:35 pm 

UltraBoris wrote:
>. UltraBoris was something of a legend at one point but his disappearance was not a momentous watershed moment whose portent everyone understood at the time. It was just some guy not posting anymore, and over time a bunch of his reviews got deleted because they were in point of fact shit.

I mean, goddamn, how could you think otherwise?

listen to the false shit. it's occasionally cool as cryo balls. (now slamming: Grand Declaration of War. truth is overrated. trueness doubly so.)

Long time no see. (This is not the screenname I used to use ages ago)

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:27 pm 

Been reading this thread all evening, very interesting stuff. Open, informative, illuminating, thanks to all who contributed. It's also so cool to see all the mods etc in the same place at the same time, it's like a Who's Who of MA!

Like so many others, I've discovered a huge amount of music from this site over the years - metal and non-metal - and it's always among the first few I bookmark whenever I get a new device or browser. Many thanks to Morri and HB for their tireless dedication, and to the mods, admins and contributors, past and present.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:54 pm 

While Boris has a presence

Is it still "Blopeth"? :V

UltraBoris
Speed Metal Satan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:00 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
While Boris has a presence

Is it still "Blopeth"? :V

dunno; haven't listened in over 15 years.

old Overkill on the other hand .... does not blow.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:17 pm 

Did gothicmetal terminate his account too?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:47 pm 

She didn't.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:52 am 

Mybad with the gender assumption. A quick search does not return the user.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:22 am 

"gothicmetal" doesn't, but I assumed you were referring to gothic_metal.

EDIT: Actually, okay, there is someone named gothicmetal as well and his account is deactivated.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:42 am 

Uhh... was there ever another Firebreather(s) band apart from the three listed? I think I encountered one with a golden coloured logo, and maybe 5 or more band members in late 2015.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:09 am 

If it was, there is no mention of it in the thread for band deletions nor a blacklist entry.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:57 am 

Well, maybe something to do with how it is supposed to be spelled. Thanks tho

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:17 pm 

And out of curiosity, there was an only Tanzanian band once on the archives, was it called Giza Uchawi? I think they had a release titled Uganga?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:40 pm 

Giza Uchawi was briefly on the Archives from around 2008 to 2010. It was removed because apparently it did not exist.

It was also a common target of vandalism. Users repeatedly added fake demos/albums to it. I guess it had some 'legendary' mystique around it.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:37 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Bans are tied to people and the underlying behavior. Using multiple accounts deceitfully is pretty much an instant ban, but if someone comes back a while later and seems to have corrected their errors, we can be forgiving. Rarely will we be tricked, as those habits tend to be pretty transparent.

That being said, the proper channel is to ask to be unbanned - if you recognize what you did wrong and understand it, just ask us and if it is honest and in good faith, you will likely be unbanned.

...just don't post about politics or argue in site-work threads and you'll do well.

I have always been curious if you guys ever figured out my prior identity. I was dursted January 25, 2008 by Nightgaunt for submitting Alestorm when he told me and another user I was internet fighting with not to.

Kind of embarrassing to fight over something so silly. I couldn't ignore the draw of the Metal-Archives and I resolved to return a couple months later with a clean slate. I love metal and I love this site even if certain bands are excluded from it. My relative maturity has certainly increased from those days, although sometimes I'm still bonkers silly. I blame this progression of my mental state on having kept praying mantises since late 2009.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:25 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:
Bans are tied to people and the underlying behavior. Using multiple accounts deceitfully is pretty much an instant ban, but if someone comes back a while later and seems to have corrected their errors, we can be forgiving. Rarely will we be tricked, as those habits tend to be pretty transparent.

That being said, the proper channel is to ask to be unbanned - if you recognize what you did wrong and understand it, just ask us and if it is honest and in good faith, you will likely be unbanned.

...just don't post about politics or argue in site-work threads and you'll do well.

I have always been curious if you guys ever figured out my prior identity. I was dursted January 25, 2008 by Nightgaunt for submitting Alestorm when he told me and another user I was internet fighting with not to.

Kind of embarrassing to fight over something so silly. I couldn't ignore the draw of the Metal-Archives and I resolved to return a couple months later with a clean slate. I love metal and I love this site even if certain bands are excluded from it. My relative maturity has certainly increased from those days, although sometimes I'm still bonkers silly. I blame this progression of my mental state on having kept praying mantises since late 2009.

From my observations, banned users on this site seem to think that their punishment is the inconvenience of having to create a new account. You were dursted before I even registered. Did you submit Alestorm as progressive power metal?!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next