Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:08 pm 

I agree that Therion's shift makes a lot of sense if you follow their discography. Sadly, I also agree that pretty much everything after Gothic Kabbalah has been unimpressive to say the least.

Xasthur going full acoustic is not something I could have predicted.

Dödheimsgard went from a rather personal take on 2nd wave Norse black metal to primitive thrashy black metal and finally to electronic avant-garde batshit insanity. Pretty remarkable.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:35 pm 

There's this obscure Latvian band that started out as a typical death metal act that eventually turned into a commercial pop rock band

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dzelzs_Vilks/36761

(Some of their newer stuff)

(Their older stuff)

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:24 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
huh im a long time fan of holocausto and i know they changed quite a bit after campo but i didnt know they became a jazz band.

Ur mad

Lythronax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:26 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
I wonder what the most insane genre shift TO metal was.

Ministry, of course.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:35 pm 

Agreed. I heard a couple cuts from early 80's Ministry once- just sounded like typically bad 80's synth pop to me- and I had trouble believing it was actually the same band.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:40 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:

This one's tricky. The current Xasthur is just Malefic using the name again for his Nocturnal Poisoning project, which is a different project entirely.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:40 pm 

Black Sabbath?

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:08 am 

On the Paradise Lost discussion, you can't really claim that the death metal debut had a Sisters of Mercy influence. On the way from digging Floridian death metal to Sisters of Mercy and Depeche Mode, they liked Dream Death and Metallica, so that isn't an easy ride.

Carcass deserves a mention for starting out as nasty gorepunks playing grind to ending up (at the first split) playing a fairly industrial-sounding death 'n' roll.

Anathema: from death doom to atmospheric rock (though you could say the same about a lot of their peers such as The Gathering, Katatonia, and Tiamat - goth rock in that last case).

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:55 am 

Endarkening wrote:
Gotta make mention of the once amazing MANES.
They made brilliant, cold, hypnotic black metal. Then Vilosophe happened.

I mean, maybe you don't like Vilosophe, but I think Be All End All and Slow Motion Death Sequence are fantastic!

motorsport wrote:

I probably wouldn't count Boris as they're known for shifting genres very frequently. It's probably more of a signature for them than being associated with any one genre in particular.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm 

I'll never understand why Priest felt the need to do Turbo when they were already selling out arenas with SFV and Defenders. They had made it to the top in their own way, why copy Def Leppard?

Regarding Metallica, yes the Loads are more varied and don't sound much like their 80s work, but The Outlaw Torn is a metal song no matter which way you slice it.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:21 pm 

I'd have to concur with Ulver, that's the first (and second, and third) band that came to mind when I saw the thread title. Although Bring Me The Horizon aren't far off.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:46 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Lord_Jotun wrote:

This one's tricky. The current Xasthur is just Malefic using the name again for his Nocturnal Poisoning project, which is a different project entirely.

This one just makes me feel bad because you know Malefic is only using Xasthur for the name recognition.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:30 pm 

Methuen wrote:
So consecutive albums -

Priest ? Defenders -> Turbo

Did anyone really want Turbo after Defenders of the Faith ? Listening to those albums back-to-back, you wonder how KK and Glen weren't utterly, utterly bored on Turbo. It's not like they did a Seventh Son with synthy complexity.
First; Seventh Son is awful. The less said about that abomination the better. NEVER compare Turbo to Seventh Son.

Second; You were born around the time Turbo was released, so it is understandable to not know about 1986 much, however I was already a Priest fan for about seven years when Turbo hit the stores and had already seen them on the Metal Conquerors Tour two years earlier.
Third; I saw Priest twice on the Fuel For Life tour and I never heard a single person complain about Turbo, in fact most fans tailgating and waiting to attend the shows would talk about how much they loved the album. The hate for Turbo came later on. The reality is Turbo is an easy album to pick on because it has a slick style instead of a gritty one but no one can claim it does not sound like Priest.

If you listen to the solo to Rock You All Around the World there is a good 15 second section that Glenn literally used again on his solo in Painkiller, practically note for note. Besides, if you watch his performances of Painkiller on that tour and the Fuel For Life video you will actually see that it is not just a case of sounding similar, he even holds his guitar the exact same way for the exact same phrasing. Reckless! was also a song pointing to the future as it was the first time the band ever wrote anything outside of the standard tuning of E, it being D# instead. If you listen to the solo to Hot For Love it literally calls to mind techniques, ideas and feel as far back as Starbreaker.

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
I'll never understand why Priest felt the need to do Turbo when they were already selling out arenas with SFV and Defenders. They had made it to the top in their own way, why copy Def Leppard?.
They did not copy that awful band and it may seem obvious but Turbo is one of my favorite Priest albums and I will defend it. However, personal feelings about it aside, I guess I do need to put a fine point on this but claiming any Judas Priest album does not sound like them is not even unintuitive but purely stupid.

To quote Glenn Tipton, "The identity of Judas Priest is to have no identity." - The band wanted to have the freedom to explore their own influences. Why do you think an album like Sad Wings of Destiny can have immortal classics like the Ripper and Dreamer/Deceiver but also feature a full out Gospel song (Epitaph)? Oh that is right, because Halford was a huge fan of Gospel growing up and even sung choir in church.

Why do you think Sin After Sin features what is probably the first Power metal song (Sinner), first Thrash metal song (Dissident Aggressor), first Speed metal song (Call For the Priest) but yet also contain a Gordon Lightfoot type Folk song (Last Rose Of Summer) which actually rivals all those groundbreaking tracks in musical composition? Ever notice how close Halford sounds to Eddie Money on the beginning of Here Comes the Tears? Or how Motown and Soul influenced Evil Fantasies is? Or how unapologetic Disco songs like Delivering the Goods or Killing Machine are?

~~~

As far as the point of this thread though, K.F.D. by W.A.S.P. only to be followed up by Helldorado. That is quite the shift there

Sonic_Titan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:52 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
I wonder what the most insane genre shift TO metal was. The one example I can think of is Hank III going stoner/doom metal on Attention Deficit Domination.

Wasn't that because he was contractually obliged to release an X amount of records prior to be able to leave Curb and to do his own thing? I remember he churned out like 3-4 records in the span of several days in, what was it, 2011 or so? None of which particularly impressed and/or stuck. Anyway, no real surprise here, Hank III was always into hardcore / sludge / doom, just think of Arson Anthem and Superjoint Ritual.

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore (German doomjazz) was formed by a bunch of grindcore musicians.

Peste Noire might be a good mention as well, as is Baise Ma Hache (garbage band who used to play rubbish emo/metalcore a few years ago).

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:43 am 

Worth mentioning Morbid Angel in their horrific I album. I bet no one ever see coming the likes of Destructos, I am morbid and Radikult.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:51 am 

Celestial Season usually gets mentions in these threads. Went from pretty good MDB doom-style to kind of worthless Kyuss-style fuzz.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:03 pm 

Aldrahn333 wrote:
Worth mentioning Morbid Angel in their horrific I album. I bet no one ever see coming the likes of Destructos, I am morbid and Radikult.

It's just....Too Extreme....for me.....

*BWEEP* *BWOOP* NO RELIGION *BWEEP* *BWOOP*

we hope you die
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:16 pm 

Bathory.

He'd gone through some dramatic developments in the late 1980s, but they all made sense in context. Then came the shift from Twilight of the Gods....to Requiem, and then shifted to his solo pop-grunge project.

Quorthon had obviously run out of ideas by this point, and dramatically shifting style is a good way of rediscovering one's muse. It's just a shame he never really found his form again.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:35 pm 

he did. the Nordlands are great albums :)

Spoiler: show
I like some songs from his solo albums, too

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:12 pm 

Martriden immediately comes to mind. Their first album was a high speed Death/Black Metal album. Their 2nd album had a few progressive moments, but then they released their 3rd album and it's some uncanny 2000s Enslaved worship.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:40 pm 

Also, Vattnet Viskar comes to mind. They started off with VERY well done atmospheric black metal with hefty chunks of post-metal, and then all of a sudden became a crappy emo rock band. Like, My Chemical Romance-type bad. They took the Viskar out of their name too. Clearly that's where all the good music came from.

NekroHustler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:33 pm 

Runko wrote:
I'd have to concur with Ulver, that's the first (and second, and third) band that came to mind when I saw the thread title. Although Bring Me The Horizon aren't far off.

I was just thinking on this subject today, There are a lot of bands that should change name in some point, and of course the first band to get my mind was Ulver, I mean if you are changing generes and band members, and you already have a fanbase, the least you can do for respect your fanbase is to change the bands name, I like ulver, I love bergttat I think is genius, I like some of the songs of their newest stuff too (like Shadows of the Sun ) but is not Ulver to me.

The least Covenant had the guts to change name to Kovenant when they change their sound, I truly respect that.

And there are bunch of black metal acts that went full electronic/industrial change in some point, I think there was a trend by the end of 1999 that some bands want to experiment with their sound, like Satyricon, gehenna, DHG, and if I remember wrong the first ones to do it was Beherit with H418ov21.C.

Now another big name on Changes is Samael, there is a very big difference from they starts till today, somehow remind me of Therion as well, but I cannot listen new Therion, it just sucks.

And of Course Morbid Angel with Illud and the remixes, everybody hate it, I personally do not know someone that said "I enjoyed the remixes from the Illud" except myself and just a couple of songs.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:53 pm 

That's not why Kovenant changed their name though.

~Guest 523229
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:07 pm 

Celtic Frost. I believe someone mentioned Cold Lake earlier in the thread, but there was a stranger shift after that, imo. They went from Vanity/Nemesis to... whatever Prototype is. Need I say more?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 pm 

I always kind of wondered with the deal was with that Prototype recording. It was obviously just a demo, as opposed to a full length "official" album. I suspect that it was never really intended to be a "Real" Celtic Frost album, so to speak, or represent a new future direction for the band. It was done at a point where the band had been broken up a for few years and were still largely inactive. I kind of think it was mostly just Tom experimenting in the studio, recording a bunch of tracks and playing around with different styles (mostly electronica, hip hop and industrial) just to see what it was like, but it was not something he really intended to be widely heard or distributed.

After all, the first "real" Celtic Frost release that came after "Vanity Nemesis" was "Monotheist" and it sounded nothing like "Prototype." I think "Prototype" was just an experimental one-off studio side project that wasn't really meant to be listened to as an official Celtic Frost release. I could be wrong; and it would be interesting to hear what Tom himself has to say about it.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:56 am 

Second page and no one has mentioned Devin Townsend yet?

A lot of bands like the mentioned Ulver and The Gathering abandoned metal completely, but Devin never did which might be why, but he's still had some pretty fucking ballistic changes of direction. He's put out full on prog metal like Transcendence and Deconstruction, as well as poppy sounding metal albums like Sky Blue, Addicted and Epicloud (which sounds probably gospel influenced), and Dark Matters which is basically a fucking metal musical (its shit but it fits with his batshit genre shifts) in the last decade, but at the same time put out country and new age albums in casualties of cool and ghost, plus whatever the fuck Ki is genre wise.

Who would have predicted Epicloud, Ghost, Casualties of Cool or Empath in those first five years of his career when he was putting out SYL albums and Ocean Machine/Terria?

As for Judas Priest, Turbo rules. In fact its one of their more cohesive albums; most definitely have at least one or two tracks that aren't as good as the rest.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:23 am 

Grave Digger's "Digger" debacle, file with Savatage's Fight For the Rock for wholeheartedly selling out to trend and failing miserably. Funnily enough I just said elsewhere on the internet how consistent Turbo is after realising it doesn't have the downers like Take On The World, United, Pain and Pleasure etc. It's definitely a good album for what it is.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:37 am 

Would have expected Sentenced to have got a mention by now. Went from death metal (Shadows of the Past) to melodeath (North from Here) to I'm not quite sure what (Amok) to gothic tinged heavy metal/hard rock (Down) in about five years or so. I suppose there's a sense of progression to a more accessible sound there but they never really stuck with any one sound until Down.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:40 am 

they were young, and discovering new bands, and getting better at playing (and writing). I mean, death to melodeath is not such a stretch, and Amok is a classic "transition" album in the style of One Second or Wildhoney... it's not like they went from Shadows to Cold White Light. I believe their case is more "progression", than "shift" :) and it gave us a lot of great music. even the Bathory rip-off is great!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:07 pm 

The one shift that sticks out, even though it was gradual, has to be In Flames. It's absolutely insane that they went from unbelievably good to absolutely fucking god awful. Just a total shame.

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:37 pm 

I wish I could put on the ears of an average prog fan’s ears to understand what the appeal of the current Opeth is. Or for that matter Steven Wilson. I like prog rock but I do not get the appeal of this material or why it’s deserving of so much praise. I hope Opeth at least incorporate’s some heavy metal in their next release.

On that topic though it’s interesting seeing people mention Anathema when I only know them as a prog rock band. I think Distant Satellites was the first album of theirs I’d heard.

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:57 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
The one shift that sticks out, even though it was gradual, has to be In Flames. It's absolutely insane that they went from unbelievably good to absolutely fucking god awful. Just a total shame.

That doesn't sound like a genre shift

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:55 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Aldrahn333 wrote:

It's just....Too Extreme....for me.....

*BWEEP* *BWOOP* NO RELIGION *BWEEP* *BWOOP*

Hey hey, at least Billy Idol's Cyberpunk is fun and has some cool songs. Same can't be said about that Morbid Angel album. Shame because Industrial Death Metal has potential to be badass.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:46 pm 

Illud seems more like Azagthoth just let Vincent do whatever and ran with it. Not a wise choice as we found out.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:46 am 

Tiam Kara wrote:
On that topic though it’s interesting seeing people mention Anathema when I only know them as a prog rock band. I think Distant Satellites was the first album of theirs I’d heard.

Anathema is also a clear case of gradual and logical progression over time, by no means an 'insane' shift. I think the Eternity album first showed which direction the band was taking but it still took a couple of releases to dilute metal from the sound. It's still there though, just listen to that song 'Springfield' on 2017's The Optimist. The heavy second half reminds me of their Pentecost III, The Silent Enigma days.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:51 am 

Blaming Vincent for Illud is silly, I am p sure that it was mostly Treys vision.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:07 pm 

Yeah, Illud Divinum Insanus was the work of Trey, he's the one who went all in on the gabber and decided to go in that direction. Let's back off of Vincent for a change.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:08 pm 

In all fairness I wasn't aware of it. Why'd he suddenly go full crazy with it though? Kingdoms Disdained didn't have any of the weird industrial stuff or goofy lyrics.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:48 pm 

aloof wrote:
he did. the Nordlands are great albums :)

This.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:39 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
In all fairness I wasn't aware of it. Why'd he suddenly go full crazy with it though? Kingdoms Disdained didn't have any of the weird industrial stuff

Trey has tried to include non-metal influences into his songwriting for years, which has resulted in classic tracks like "Ageless Still I Am" (which, according to Trey, was heavily influenced by swing jazz) and he even snuck some industrial influence into Kingdoms Disdained with "Declaring New Law". The problem is, while he's excellent at that kind of subtle experimentation, he failed utterly when it came time to bring those elements into the forefront, creating a shapeless, hideous monstrosity capable only of shrieking in agony and begging for death.

And guys, Trey didn't write fucking "Radikult" :lol:. I think we all know whose fault that was...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next