Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:09 am 

You are definitely right, that the band is strange in many aspects. The music, for example, is certainly not pure black metal , but a mixture of hard rock, rac and some black metal elements. IMo this at least warrants a re-evaluation. When I heard thr first solo, I almost thought this is a Bon Jovi or Whitesnake song from the eighties: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANMQaSD-FtI
Anyway,here is the full album Galgenhumor" so you as a native German speaker or Paganiusi can check their accent : http://88nsm.com/2085-14winterkampf88-g ... -2007.html
https://www.discogs.com/artist/5682685-14Winterkampf88

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:02 am 

Am I correct in assuming, as with regions, we should always use the official name of a city rather than any alternatives, however widespread they may be (unless there is an English translation)?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 am 

Duisterling wrote:
Am I correct in assuming, as with regions, we should always use the official name of a city rather than any alternatives, however widespread they may be (unless there is an English translation)?

Use the English name whenever possible, when there are multiple options on Wikipedia or elsewhere (like alternations and such), go with the english Google Maps. At least one of the two should have a name listed.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 am 

PaganiusI wrote:
Use the English name whenever possible, when there are multiple options on Wikipedia or elsewhere (like alternations and such), go with the english Google Maps. At least one of the two should have a name listed.

Thank you!

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:27 pm 

Has there not be a policy against one-copy releases?
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... .66/144449

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:55 pm 

I'm looking for clarification, cause I feel like I missed some policy change. I've always been under the impression that promotional releases were not allowed on the site. I distinctly remember having several child entry additions deleted when we moved over to V2 because "we don't list promotional releases". However, when reporting a handful of promo-only releases from the Ozzy Osbourne solo catalog yesterday, a number of them were closed without removal, with responses along the lines of "people are selling this on Discogs, so it's acceptable". So, where is the line drawn on this? If someone is reselling a promo-only release online, does that count enough to add it here, on the basis that it must have seen some kind of public release?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:06 am 

Is there any policy on "All Instruments, Vocals" versus "Everything" in the artist role field? I've seen "Guitars, Bass, Drums, Vocals" and any kind of variation on that often reduced to "All Instruments, Vocals" but recently, I've also noticed a moderator changing a lot of the latter into simply "Everything". On the other hand, I've seen a few moderators who add new bands with "All Instruments, Vocals" rather than "Everything" in the artist role field. This gave me the impression there's not much of a policy on it and that the mod whose name I forgot was merely changing it because of personal preferences. Am I right in thinking that, or should I help out changing "All Instruments, Vocals" and similar shit into "Everything" whenever I come across it?

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 am 

I don't believe we have a policy on this and that you are correct in thinking it's more of a personal preference sort of thing.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:18 am 

Thank you, I'll just leave it then.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:44 pm 

Duisterling wrote:
Is there any policy on "All Instruments, Vocals" versus "Everything" in the artist role field? I've seen "Guitars, Bass, Drums, Vocals" and any kind of variation on that often reduced to "All Instruments, Vocals" but recently, I've also noticed a moderator changing a lot of the latter into simply "Everything". On the other hand, I've seen a few moderators who add new bands with "All Instruments, Vocals" rather than "Everything" in the artist role field. This gave me the impression there's not much of a policy on it and that the mod whose name I forgot was merely changing it because of personal preferences. Am I right in thinking that, or should I help out changing "All Instruments, Vocals" and similar shit into "Everything" whenever I come across it?

Personally, I prefer to use ''All instruments'' when it doesn't include vocals, and ''Everything'' when it does. However, it's ultimately a matter of preference and I would never change them from one to the other. There are multiple ways of presenting the information, and it's not worth getting obsessed over which is best. As evident from the discussion below, there's not really a right or wrong in this case.

HouseSpiders wrote:
If an artist plays/has played all instruments in a band/album but the instruments he/she played are known, should his/her lineup role be shown as "All instruments" or "Guitars, Bass, Drum programming, Keyboards"?

Azmodes wrote:
If all are known it's always better to elaborate.

Derigin wrote:
Well, if they played all the instruments, then just put "All Instruments" honestly. It is far more concise than writing out everything.

That's been the policy for years.

Alhadis wrote:
I actually strongly discourage using "All instruments" as an alternative to putting "Guitars, Bass, Drum programming, Keyboards" (etc) if the latter are known and unambiguously confirmed.

Not every band uses bass in their music, and some artists might switch between drums and drum programming. Putting "All instruments" for the sake of brevity doesn't come across as too encyclopaedic to me, IMHO.

Morrigan wrote:
If you know the minute detail, sure... But "All instruments" is fine in most cases.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:15 am 

Thanks for sharing that. I'm with Alhadis/Azmodes on this (although I can appreciate Morrigan's pragmatic addition). It's always nice to be able to see whether there's bass or keys or not, real or programmed drums, &c. And especially in the case of unusual folk or classical instruments, 12-string basses &c. I feel it would be an unwelcome loss of information to simply reduce it to "Everything".

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:50 pm 

I found a blog that attests an EP by a band listed here (and provides a download link). The band's page only lists their recent LP. Should I just add it or clear it with staff or something...? The EP isn't listed for official sale on their bandcamp.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:25 am 

Only add it if you can confirm that it is an official EP released by the band. Download blogs are usually not official, but they might be based on official releases or in rare cases are band sanctioned. If you can't confirm that it was released by the band, don't add it.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:14 pm 

I have this doubt regarding capitalisation of the lyrical themes. How should it be done?

1. Internal Struggles, Heavy Metal Way of Life; or
2. Internal struggles, Heavy metal way of life.

I always go for 2 based, for instance, on this, but a confirmation is kindly requested :)

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:05 pm 

You're not mistaken, #2 is the correct way.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:34 pm 

Thank you, KJ.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:51 pm 

Can't find anywhere else to put this but I think it's an emerging issue. Some bands (Metallica being a key example) have started to go down the Pearl Jam route of making all their concerts available for purchase as a download or a CD from their online store. Some of these are being added to the Archives, but not consistently.

Therefore:

1) Adding all of these types of releases might make the discography pages extremely unwieldy.

2) Perhaps should be notified on the info pages of these 'official bootleg' style releases that they are part of such a release programme?

These releases are all official AFAIK so they can't really be ignored.

Tlacaxipehualiztli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:08 am 

It's not wrong doing, but do we need such a change (Japan to Japan edition)?

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/T ... low/703299

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:26 am 

No, because our standard is to just go with the country tag.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:47 pm 

I know we don't normally do "Not to be confused with" additions on band pages unless the bands share a name and a country, but one thing I've seen more recently is additions of "Unknown Artist", where the person/band is über kvlt and doesn't give themselves an actual name, of which we have documented 4 so far. Since these are inherently harder to catalog, and purposefully vague in their information, would it be beneficial to do a "Not to be confused with" blurb on these pages to help users differentiate between them? I ask only because 3 of the 4 have a verified country of origin, all of which are different.

BastardHead wrote:

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:07 pm 

(666th post) What exactly would you write? Personally, I can't see how that will clear anything up, if not make it more confusing. They're all from different countries, have different albums, different subgenres of black metal, I think that's enough info to be able to comfortably differentiate between each band.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:03 pm 

Well, my first thought was something similar to the following, with a different combination depending on which page you were currently on:

Not to be confused with:

Sure, they play different strains of black metal, and 75% have at least a basic country of origin, but they don't seem to stand out much from each other in any other way. 75% only have 'untitled' releases, and I believe only one has any kind of year range. Most of this is probably by design, since they are intentionally obscure, but that's beside the point.

BastardHead wrote:

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:24 am 

How can we be sure that "Unknown Artists" isn't their actual band name? Also "unnamed" indicates that the band does not have a name...but we don't know that. They might have a name but don't want to present it on the release for some reason.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:06 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
How can we be sure that "Unknown Artists" isn't their actual band name? Also "unnamed" indicates that the band does not have a name...but we don't know that. They might have a name but don't want to present it on the release for some reason.

I feel like that's splitting hairs to a degree. As has been stated here many times before, artist intentions (or in this case, secret band names) are meaningless in documenting our information. Maybe they have a name for themselves in their own mind, but for our purposes, they're "unnamed" on their release, which is what we have available to go on. We also know that they're not named "Unknown Artist" because we have easy online access to their releases and liner notes, most of which include long-winded pretentious artist statements about how Black Metal is trve and kvlt and listeners should focus on the music, blah blah blah. None of those indicate they are actually trying to broadcast or market themselves as "Unknown Artist", just that they're unnamed for artistic sentiment.

BastardHead wrote:

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:46 pm 

What I'm struggling to understand, MCH, is why such a note is necessary just because they're named "Unknown Artist" on the site. Let's imagine that there were 4 bands from various countries called "Bright Pink Elephant" with untitled releases... why would we not use such a note? Why, if 4 bands had that name (which is admittedly not a great example), would they stand out from each other any more than 4 unknown artists? The aforementioned aspects (genre, country) are enough to distinguish between the bands, in my opinion.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:35 pm 

Is there a contributor with a Patreon account who likes Russian female-fronted prog metal, or simply has too much money?

a most noble task requires some magnanimous assistance:

https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/686652

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:06 pm 

Hi! Is there any way to change the alias some artist use? Im friends with N from the band Selbst
He asked me to change some images for the live line up, which I did, but he also asked me If i could change the aliases they use. The Drummer it's ok, as he appears as "JPC" when performing live for Selbst, but the Bass player and the Guitar player prefer to be called "HL" and "MO" respectively when performing live with Selbst. I made a report on which I shared a link from their official facebook page stating their stage names.

https://www.facebook.com/selbstbm/photo ... =3&theater

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this, thank you.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:12 pm 

it's probably been announced/discussed somewhere, but I can't seem to find it... what are the current size limits for images, please?

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:27 pm 

aloof wrote:
it's probably been announced/discussed somewhere, but I can't seem to find it... what are the current size limits for images, please?

Band/artist photos: 200KB
Band logo/album arts: 100KB
Label logos: still 40KB

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:43 pm 

wow, big changes! thanks :)

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:09 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Hi! Is there any way to change the alias some artist use? Im friends with N from the band Selbst
He asked me to change some images for the live line up, which I did, but he also asked me If i could change the aliases they use. The Drummer it's ok, as he appears as "JPC" when performing live for Selbst, but the Bass player and the Guitar player prefer to be called "HL" and "MO" respectively when performing live with Selbst. I made a report on which I shared a link from their official facebook page stating their stage names.

Yes it can be done, but your rank is not sufficient to make such updates.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:49 pm 

Midnightwards666 wrote:
IntoNevermore wrote:

Yes it can be done, but your rank is not sufficient to make such updates.

Yeah I figured I wouldn't be able, that's why I made a report asking for someone to make it and it said that the facebook link was a "bad link" and closed the case :(

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:44 am 

Link works fine for me, I'll take care of the updates later. It's probably a privacy issue - Stormy doesn't use Facebook and you probably need to log in to see it. You can always screenshot proof, screenshots uploaded to imgur are guaranteed to work.

~Guest 318854
Rare Earth Metal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:17 am 

A bestfriend of mine told me, why reason Metallum don't add every genre to every album, like Wikipedia? In order to avoid confusion and the fan knows that he listens better, I replied that there is no need to do so at least for me, that I am a metalhead of many years who identified any genre of metal immediately, just by listening to it. Now I am curious to know, if at any time they thought or if they are thinking about that actually ?

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:24 am 

We do not plan to list genres for every album, and I highly doubt we ever will. I personally would be strongly against it. Band genres are enough of a headache which I don't even want to imagine extending to albums. For the minute details not listed in the genre, we have similar artists and reviews. If a band does undergo a major change of style, as you know we use "(early)" and "(later)" tags, which work very well.

~Guest 318854
Rare Earth Metal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:37 am 

Midnightwards666 wrote:
We do not plan to list genres for every album, and I highly doubt we ever will. I personally would be strongly against it. Band genres are enough of a headache which I don't even want to imagine extending to albums. For the minute details not listed in the genre, we have similar artists and reviews. If a band does undergo a major change of style, as you know we use "(early)" and ("later) tags, which work very well.

Exactly, in other words that was what I meant to say to him, when I told him that there is no need, in addition to a headache, I must emphasize that it's also a pain in the ass. Me too it would also definitely be against that idea, if it comes to execution.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:50 am 

Midnightwards666 wrote:
Link works fine for me, I'll take care of the updates later. It's probably a privacy issue - Stormy doesn't use Facebook and you probably need to log in to see it. You can always screenshot proof, screenshots uploaded to imgur are guaranteed to work.

Ohh I see! Well thank you! I'll make the report again then.

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:56 pm 

I was curious about Petrus_Steele's post so I added my two cents to Silvertomb.

Insomnia is avaiable in Spotify, Deezer and Google Play Music (it can be purchasable too):
https://open.spotify.com/album/5GFvMBdVPfPiX590IyoOUr
https://www.deezer.com/es/track/547230902?autoplay=true
https://play.google.com/music/preview/T ... f64?play=1

Love You Without No Lies can be purchasable but only on Google Play Music.
https://play.google.com/music/preview/T ... jbq?play=1

Are these singles worth to be added?

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:21 pm 

ᴎostalgiʞK wrote:
I was curious about Petrus_Steele's post so I added my two cents to Silvertomb.

Insomnia is avaiable in Spotify, Deezer and Google Play Music (it can be purchasable too):
https://open.spotify.com/album/5GFvMBdVPfPiX590IyoOUr
https://www.deezer.com/es/track/547230902?autoplay=true
https://play.google.com/music/preview/T ... f64?play=1

Love You Without No Lies can be purchasable but only on Google Play Music.
https://play.google.com/music/preview/T ... jbq?play=1

Are these singles worth to be added?

Hey, thanks for posting these! I really hope they mods will approve of them.

Dickpenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:07 am 

Not sure where to post this.
I think these are the same person.
One

Two
Same area, last name "Körkemeier" is uncommon, other guy was also in Black Destiny and after that in Helrunar.
Maybe someone can recognize him in the picture.
I couldn't find definite proof, unfortunately, thus I didn't file a report.

EDIT:
Also, why doesn't the first link work? Does it hate Ümlauts?

Last edited by PaganiusI on Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Link fixed, seems like it was the umlauts ;)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next