Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:51 pm 

^
Your description above reminded me instantly of I Shalt Become's album Poison

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:10 am 

raumr wrote:
An obvious one, but Agalloch's Pale Folklore is blatantly inspired by Bergtatt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-zyfxzihqA

Also Myrkur has some nods to Bergtatt, not so strange when both Haavard and Garm worked on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqRHqkWy7ks

Myrkur is a big no.

1nsane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:23 pm 

Hey guys! I'm kind of new to Black Metal and I've been loving the early albums of Darkthrone, as you already expected the Unholy Trinity and Panzerfaust, I've listened to other bands but I haven't been able to find this type of sound, this rawness which drives me crazy. Would you guys recommend me some bands/albums that have kind of sound? I've found Mutiilation (So far I've only listened to Vampires of Black Imperial Blood, if there's anything I need to know about this band please let me know) quite similar but so far that's the only band I've found with a similar sound, what other bands do deliver this kind of sound?

Thanks beforehand!

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am 

Craft is one of the few bands who managed to nail that sound: you can try Terror Propaganda

Another good one in that vein is Katharsis's first album, the later ones are more chaotic, but 666 is a love letter to early Darkthrone

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:00 pm 

1nsane wrote:
Hey guys! I'm kind of new to Black Metal and I've been loving the early albums of Darkthrone, as you already expected the Unholy Trinity and Panzerfaust, I've listened to other bands but I haven't been able to find this type of sound, this rawness which drives me crazy. Would you guys recommend me some bands/albums that have kind of sound? I've found Mutiilation (So far I've only listened to Vampires of Black Imperial Blood, if there's anything I need to know about this band please let me know) quite similar but so far that's the only band I've found with a similar sound, what other bands do deliver this kind of sound?

Thanks beforehand!

You really need to listen to Akitsa. Also probably early Gorgoroth, Judas Iscariot, Urgehal, Horna, Satanic Warmaster, Baptism maybe? I'm sure I could come up with plenty more. Edit: And Vlad Tepes, start with the split with Belketre, one of the best raw black metal albums ever made.

I actually came here looking for a few recs similar to Drudkh. I already know many of the similar bands, but I'm trying to find some of the "best" with minimal keyboard and clean vocal use. One of my other current favorites in similar style is Ellende. I have been meditating to black metal a lot lately and need more super chill stuff.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 pm 

1nsane wrote:

Thanks beforehand!

try warloghe, especially the 2nd album. it's like the best DT album DT didn't write
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:02 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I actually came here looking for a few recs similar to Drudkh. I already know many of the similar bands, but I'm trying to find some of the "best" with minimal keyboard and clean vocal use. One of my other current favorites in similar style is Ellende. I have been meditating to black metal a lot lately and need more super chill stuff.

maybe not 100% what you're looking for, but just in case you don't know them yet, what about windswept? a bit similar to later drudkh maybe. I'd recommend the great cold steppe in particular.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:06 am 

Not a lot of records sound like 'Under Ein Blodraud Mane' by Manes. Yet, one can try. Anyone can recommend albums in similar feel?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:26 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
maybe not 100% what you're looking for, but just in case you don't know them yet, what about windswept? a bit similar to later drudkh maybe. I'd recommend the great cold steppe in particular.

I love Windswept, actually I didn't listen to the first album nearly enough. I listened to the new one this year a ton when it first came out though. Looking for more obscure chill stuff, or something that I've overlooked. I've never been as crazy about bands like Darkspace and Saor as a lot of people, but maybe it's a good time to give them another chance. It doesn't really need to sound like Drudkh, but I want more of that trance inducing wall of sound effect.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:09 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
1nsane wrote:

Thanks beforehand!

You really need to listen to Akitsa. Also probably early Gorgoroth, Judas Iscariot, Urgehal, Horna, Satanic Warmaster, Baptism maybe? I'm sure I could come up with plenty more. Edit: And Vlad Tepes, start with the split with Belketre, one of the best raw black metal albums ever made.

Are you familiar with much of the Russian/Ukrainian stuff? If not, I highly recommend Hate Forest, Branikald, Forest, Kladovest, Ygg...just to name a few. Hopefully these recommendations arent too obvious for you.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:14 am 

mike_87 wrote:
thanks for the recommendations, even if theres not alot from spain....anyone know any more black/death metal bands from America that are similar to the likes of say....Morbosidad? Going through their stuff right now and seems they are america's answer to war metal pretty much. Someone told me the American scene is quite rife with extreme metal bands yet I only know Kult ov Azazel and Wolves in the throne room and now Morbosidad

Dude...get all the Angelcorpse albums. And if you like them, you might also dig the other bands that Pete and Gene were in. Sorry that I didnt have time to list them all at the moment.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:42 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm really in a Paysage d'Hiver mood lately. Can people recommend me more wintery, spectral, obscure black metal?
I'm aware of Nordlicht.

Check out the album First Journey, by Widder. Short lived project (from your country actually) that only recorded one album. It very much fits your request, I have the tape and I love it. Got it from Heidens Hart a few years back.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:16 am 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:
mike_87 wrote:
thanks for the recommendations, even if theres not alot from spain....anyone know any more black/death metal bands from America that are similar to the likes of say....Morbosidad? Going through their stuff right now and seems they are america's answer to war metal pretty much. Someone told me the American scene is quite rife with extreme metal bands yet I only know Kult ov Azazel and Wolves in the throne room and now Morbosidad

Dude...get all the Angelcorpse albums. And if you like them, you might also dig the other bands that Pete and Gene were in. Sorry that I didnt have time to list them all at the moment.

I second that, including Profanatica.

GorgorMith
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:36 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Bands in the vein of Ulver?

As for Bergtatt, Heart of the Ages by In the Woods … comes very close, I think. It’s also one of my favorite albums.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:34 am 

gimme shit like this
Cexyst.
punk black metal

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:44 pm 

Bone awl? Maybe too obvious

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:19 am 

Ildjarn, you mean.

HakuchoCygnus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:49 pm 

I don't know if anyone is looking for anything that crosses together black and speed metal, however Slaughtered Priest (Athens) is fucking killer.

https://youtu.be/RbJ4wEec1hw

failed utopia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:40 pm 

Looking for music similar in sound and atmosphere to Drudkh - Autumn Aurora.

Ie. Belenos - Le Domaine Des Songes (Acte 2)

Prefer specific songs to entire albums to start - nothing too cheesy, but I realize that is highly subjective...

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:41 pm 

What are some black (or not black if you can think of any other band) metal bands that have medieval riffs? I mean something like Abigor?
Here's an example:
From 3:08:

The riff right after Elisabeth's vocal part in the beginning:

Or maybe not even medieval black metal, but just riffy black metal. This album is the riffiest black metal album I have ever heard, even riffier than At the Heart of Winter.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:24 pm 

Diplomate wrote:
What are some black (or not black if you can think of any other band) metal bands that have medieval riffs? I mean something like Abigor?

Godkiller, Obsequiae, Aorlhac, Darkenhold, Flamen, Vehemence, Suhnopfer, Tronus abyss, Geisterfels, etc

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:30 pm 

deopisi wrote:
Diplomate wrote:

Godkiller, Obsequiae, Aorlhac, Darkenhold, Flamen, Vehemence, Suhnopfer, Tronus abyss, Geisterfels, etc

The second one is spot on, thanks. I'll check the others later.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:05 pm 

As a general recommendation, I highly suggest checking out the new Triuwint album that was recently released. It's melodic but also pretty dark and fierce.

https://triuwint.bandcamp.com/album/ber-tr-mmert-lern

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:46 pm 

I'm looking for a very specific (yet not uncommon) sound, which you can find in this song by Ancient.

Soaring, atmospheric, somewhat melodic, with a Pagan tinge if possible.

Thanks in advance.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:09 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
I'm looking for a very specific (yet not uncommon) sound, which you can find in this song by Ancient.

Soaring, atmospheric, somewhat melodic, with a Pagan tinge if possible.

Thanks in advance.

My first thought is https://haethen.bandcamp.com/album/shap ... lian-winds

I'll give you more names if you finally decide to buy from me.
Lol, just kidding

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:52 pm 

ˆHaha, thanks, that was a good recommendation. And you do have great CDs for sale, but the Italian postal service can be a nightmare :(, sorry.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:20 pm 

Not with the right seller and the proper shipping method, anyway we are going off topic.

Back to your request, Panphage and Murg, I don't know if you are familiar with them.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:21 pm 

I am, but I've never truly explored their sound, I'll do it right now.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:56 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
mike_87 wrote:
Been a while since i requested some recommendations.....so here goes, can anyone give me a list of bands that are worth knowing about right now that focus on speed/blastbeats alot? preferably ones with a few albums out too but I am up for giving a band a chance with just one or two albums out as well. I did just try Goat Torment, not bad but the drummer doesnt change his pace a great lot throughout their latest album IMO, tends to stick mostly to a semi fast speed and in a certain pattern. little disappointed

Der Weg Einer Freiheit is pretty fast, but there's also a lot of variety in the music, and it's musically incredibly good - well, the last two albums are. There's quite a bit more there than just speed and blastbeats, but it's one of the musically strongest bands with high speeds.

VI is also very fast, and musically excellent. The music is more straight-forward, and there's more focus on fast passages and drumming, although the speeds may not be Nile level. They're satanic and more orthodox than Der Weg, if you care about that sort of thing.

Those are the best fast black metal bands to me currently. I don't know why you wouldn't like to give a band a chance if they don't have a slew of albums out. If the music is great, it's not like it was wasted effort, is it?

Decided against Der Weg in the end, not for me, did you know the musicians used to be in a deathcore band? That alone is a put off. I think even now you get that feel that because of that they're not a genuine black metal band. And they overdo the melody on guitar, theres way better black metal out there than them ;) The recent polish black metal scene is like a million times better

Last edited by mike_87 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:58 pm 

While I'm here can anyone name some Norwegian black metal bands that play in the old school that I may not have heard of? And no I'm not a black metal beginner ive listened to it for over a decade and I know all the typical classic ones, but im wondering about others I may not have heard that have been around in more recent times, I only really know Nordjevel

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:37 pm 

If you haven't heard His Majesty by Svartsyn I'd highly recommend it. Basically it sounds like the parts of DMDS that go for the throat. Razor sharp riffing.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:03 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
Decided against Der Weg in the end, not for me, did you know the musicians used to be in a deathcore band? That alone is a put off.

Really? You take that stuff way too seriously.

I don't like metalcore or deathcore, but their band was actually surprisingly good. Terrible name, though.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:21 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
mike_87 wrote:
Decided against Der Weg in the end, not for me, did you know the musicians used to be in a deathcore band? That alone is a put off.

Really? You take that stuff way too seriously.

I don't like metalcore or deathcore, but their band was actually surprisingly good. Terrible name, though.

Black metal is to be taken seriously.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:53 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Black metal is to be taken seriously.

Of course, everyone should enjoy music and art they way they feel is best. Personally, I think genre policing is one of the worst possible ways to approach anything, and not giving things like that too much weight allows me to sincerely appreciate a broader range of creative work.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:30 am 

Fair, but as soon as I find out that all the musicians of the band come from a deathcore background, I can not take it seriously anymore. They look it, they sound it. With that, I mean: To me there's nothing black metal about it.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:22 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Fair, but as soon as I find out that all the musicians of the band come from a deathcore background, I can not take it seriously anymore. They look it, they sound it. With that, I mean: To me there's nothing black metal about it.

Exactly, deathcore is like the cancer to proper extreme metal, go with the recent polish scene! Loads of legitimate evil and brutal bands from there

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:33 am 

mike_87 wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Exactly, deathcore is like the cancer to proper extreme metal, go with the recent polish scene! Loads of legitimate evil and brutal bands from there

What recent Polish bands are you into the most?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:38 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
mike_87 wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

I'm not into the recent Polish scene at all. Too poppy for me.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:06 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm not into the recent Polish scene at all. Too poppy for me.

Infernal War and Anima Damnata 'poppy'? WTF

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:07 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Try Anima Damnata, Infernal War, Blaze of Perdition

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209 ... 231  Next