Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:57 pm 

Anyone seen Chernobyl?
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:51 am 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:
Anyone seen Chernobyl?

Yeah, loving it. Jared Harris is awesome.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:14 pm 

Anybody watching Barry? Just got caught up with it today. This is seriously one of the best shows around right now - these characters are three dimensional and lie to themselves for short-term pleasure. A unique premise - a hitman wants to quit the life and become an actor in LA - that works through the sheer strength of its writing and unpredictable, ruthless character choices.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:56 am 

Aye, I've seen the first four episodes. It's quite good and charming. I particularly like the acting teacher, unique flavour to the character. I'm not super compelled inasmuch as I don't (yet) feel the need to binge this over the course of a few days, but I definitely like to watch an episode or two before bed.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:22 pm 

Like a lot of shows, season 2 is a huge jump in quality. The first season was good as well and better than some shows' first seasons, but the second one really comes into its own and you can see the true vision of what this show is about.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:26 pm 

I watched the first 2-3 episodes and wasn't that into it, but maybe I'll give it another shot during some downtime.

I'm finally finishing up season 2 of The Orville. It's been alright. I don't think it's anywhere near as good as TNG, and I don't necessarily think it's better than Discovery. They're both okay-not-great for me.

Billions, Chernobyl, and The 100 are the shows I'm enjoying a lot right now. Sad The Magicians is done for the season.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:07 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
My TV intake:
South Park, King of the Hill, Penn and Teller: Bullshit!, Courage the Cowardly Dog, MST3K, and Beavis and Butthead.

I love Penn & Teller: Bullshit, but you might want to skip any episode where they go with libertarian think-tanks instead of, you know, scientists.

Here's a handy guide on the episodes that haven't aged well.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:08 pm 

^ Just FYI that post is from page 1 and is 9.5 years old.

Halfway through True Detective: Season 3. It started out, "ok, this seems like it's basically doing The Force Awakens thing for season 1, but that's still an improvement over season 2." But by now I'm quite roped in and really digging it. I love the triple time-setting framing device and the unreliable "narrator."

Spoiler: show
All of the shit with the dementia/hallucinations is really, really good, and it's kind of starting to make me question other shit in the show. A few other scenes set in the past feel sort of off, like they've got this misremembered dementia haze surrounding them, that's doing an amazing job of making me wonder if it's intentional or if I'm reading too much into it, and I think that confusion is very much intentional. Masterful shit.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:19 am 

^ It's just such a rich, textured character study. The way it plays around with the dementia and forgetfulness isn't really any gimmicky twist so much as a realistic facet of the character. I loved all of it personally.

He talks a lot about how he doesn't need to remember things, etc

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:54 am 

I also really dig the mystery of it. In season 2 I honestly didn't really give a shit about the victims or the crimes; the only thing worth caring about at all were the protagonists, and they were almost all stock trope type characters (granted, well-written and acted ones) except for Woodrugh, who was sort of under-utilized. Sharp contrast against S1, where we had Marty as kind of the straight man Joe Average cop guy, and Rust in such stark contrast to that trope. S3 has much different characters who are reeling me in much more. But anyway, in season 1
we had this kind of detective mystery in the first half, then the crime was "solved," then we find out they didn't get the real baddies and they've gotta work together and put their shit behind them to finish things as best they could. In S3, there are elements of "we got the wrong guy" but as of episode 4, we still don't know who that wrong guy is, or have any real solid leads on who the right guy may be, and there are so many other factors convoluting everything that I feel like it's going to keep me guessing until the very end.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:55 am 

I honestly found season 2 barely watchable at all and everything I saw annoyed me. I ended up quitting that and just starting Game of Thrones after all this time.

With TD Season 3, Mahershala Ali just sells that part and the writing for him was genuinely compelling and artful. It's one of the best crime stories I've watched in years because it focuses on grounded drama and human interests with the crimes shown for their brutality, with no real easy outs or cheap redemptions.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:13 am 

Funny you guys should mention True Detective. I'm actually watching Season 3 for the first time myself.

I finished the fifth episode and it started to lose me a bit. They obviously wanted to distance the season from season 2 and revert back to the motifs of the first. Pretty good, but the fifth episode was meh.

Obligatory Last FM Link

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:34 am 

I watched the first season of Tuca & Bertie on Netflix. I was originally interested in it because the writer was on Bojack Horseman, which is a huge favourite of mine. This show is not on that level, but I found it interesting. It's super irreverent with its animation and style, but it was interesting enough to keep going. The last couple of episodes hit a more emotional nerve, with the second-last episode having a pretty heavy moment where
Bertie reveals she was sexually assaulted at age 12

but overall it was a decent show and I'll watch season 2.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:20 pm 

FUCK YES FUCK YES FUCK YES

I've been waiting for a sequel to The Dark Crystal since I was five. This somehow manages to be even more exciting than a TDC2.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:16 pm 

Well that sucks! ABC dropped Whiskey Cavalier, one of very few new shows about which I give a crap :( Any of y’all enjoy not-too-serious crime comedy/dramas? Here’s a petition to show the network(s) that people will want this show back!
http://chng.it/jrKC8cCjsy
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:06 pm 

Just starting "The Strain" - so far pretty damn good.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:51 pm 

Barry 2x05

what the fuck was that

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:33 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Barry 2x05

what the fuck was that

Something transcendent.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:37 am 

NOS4A2 episode 1. Probably wont watch the rest.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:26 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
NOS4A2

That has got to be the worst TV show name in history, with only perhaps Shasta McNasty just barely eeking it out. Jesus.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:43 am 

darkeningday wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:
NOS4A2

That has got to be the worst TV show name in history, with only perhaps Shasta McNasty just barely eeking it out. Jesus.

It's the same name as the book it's based on.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

WilliG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:02 am 

How to sell drugs online fast.
On Netflix. I don't normally like foreign narration (German) but I watched 4 episodes last night. Really good.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:56 pm 

So I've watched the first two episodes of the new Black Mirror season so far, and I just have to say Bravo to Andrew Scott (same guy who played Moriarty in Sherlock). His performance in the second episode was tremendous. BAFTA, Golden Globe, and Emmy, here we come.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:11 pm 

Chernobyl was fucking incredible. Binged all five episodes yesterday. Haunting stuff with an amazing cast. Even knowing quite a lot about the events (I wrote a thesis paper that detailed the failures of Chernobyl) it was still very shocking to watch.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:55 am 

Just finished cramming Ozark (S2) into my cakehole - more sardonic than that, you croak! - and am now dutifully chugging down American Horror Show S8 (Apocalypse)...Incredible, really, how the quality of television has sky-rocketed over the years.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:22 pm 

GTog wrote:
So I've watched the first two episodes of the new Black Mirror season so far, and I just have to say Bravo to Andrew Scott (same guy who played Moriarty in Sherlock). His performance in the second episode was tremendous. BAFTA, Golden Globe, and Emmy, here we come.

Finally watched the third one. Summary

Striking Vipers - Slow and plodding. Interesting though.
Smithereens - Stellar. Not the sort of "technology taken to an extreme" thing you'd expect from Black Mirror, but great nonetheless.
Jack and Rachel and Ashley Too - Fun and weird. Not intellectual/deep, but enjoyable.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:25 pm 

Striking Vipers is a work of art. One of the show's all time best - a return to the more character driven, intimate uncomfortable moments of the earlier seasons and I welcome it. So much better than the ridiculous stuff in a lot of Season 4.

Smithereens was masterfully made and executed as a crime thriller; great ambiance, thrills and atmosphere. The lack of any music made the still and quiet moments so damned tense and I loved the middle section of this episode. Though the end got a little preachy even for this show. But I didn't hate it - was too well made to hate.

Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too was just a fun thrill ride. Had some playful and probing ideas about fame and how we connect with music, albeit nothing we haven't considered before, but it's done in an intriguing enough way and I was having fun all the way through. Miley Cyrus was great in it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:48 pm 

Alright, fucking finally: S2E6 of Discovery was the first episode of this show that a) wholly felt like Star Trek to me and b) was really good the whole way through. This is really the proper way to do a Star Trek episode in the modern era: successfully incorporate series/season-spanning drama and character development into self-contained episodes, go heavy on the exploration and encountering new cultures stuff in the classic Trek mode, and use the tools of the big budget and modern effects to make things feel more real and alien. The relationship between Saru and his sister was believable and touching, the relationship between the Kelpians and Ba'ul was interesting, and the design of the Ba'ul was really cool. Hope there are more like this coming up, because this episode has single-handedly turned getting through this show from being a chore to something I'm actually looking forward to.

I just hope they can stop doing episode about this ridiculous goddamn spore network thing that's probably the single least believable thing in all of Star Trek history.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:17 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Chernobyl was fucking incredible. Binged all five episodes yesterday. Haunting stuff with an amazing cast. Even knowing quite a lot about the events (I wrote a thesis paper that detailed the failures of Chernobyl) it was still very shocking to watch.

Yeah, absolutely incredible. Flawless on all fronts. Just perfect.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:16 am 

Why can't you wear boxers in the Ukraine?

Chernobyl fallout.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:35 am 

^ Ha. I had to think about it for a minute.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:37 pm 

I recently came across this list uproxx created of their top 10 episodes of Breaking Bad, which, while not bad, I don't quite agree with 100%, so I decided to make one of my own:

Pilot: great first episode with consistently amazing style, energy, and substance, and it set the tone and pace for the rest of the series brilliantly
Crazy Handful Of Nothin': thrilling as fuck, and it has the birth of Heisenberg, baby!
Grilled: one of the tensest single hours in the show's history
Fly: divisive among the fanbase, but I've always felt it was a brilliantly written character study, with what is my favorite monologue in the entire series
Half Measures: incredibly momentous, and has one of the most shocking endings on the show
Box Cutter: tense, claustrophobic, and sets up the main conflict of Season 4 brilliantly
Hermanos: it's all about that flashback, baby!
Dead Freight: great premise/scenario that's completely set up and resolved within one ep, with a great climax, and an absolute gut punch of an ending
Blood Money: so much inter-character drama, and it shows the ramifications of an extremely long-in-coming revelation in one of the series' best scenes at the end
Ozymandias: do I really need to say anything else about this one?

And for fun, here's my rankings of the rest of the show as well (these are all chosen by memory, but they're my current opinions):

All-timer eps that I couldn't fit into the top 10:

One Minute
Full Measure
Crawl Space

Great eps:
Bit By A Dead Bee
Peakaboo
4 Days Out
Mandala
Phoenix
ABQ
Sunset
I See You
Kafkaesque
Cornered
Bug
Thirty-Eight Snub
Problem Dog
Salud
End Times
Face Off
Madrigal
Fifty-One
Buyout
Say My Name
Gliding Over All
Buried
Confessions
To'hajiilee
Granite State

Very good eps:

Cat's in the Bag...
...And the Bag's in the River
Gray Matter
A No-Rough-Stuff-Type Deal
Seven Thirty-Seven
Better Call Saul
No Mas
I.F.T.
Shotgun
Hazard Pay
Rabid Dog

Good eps:

Negro y Azul
Breakage
Caballo sin Nombre
Green Light
Mas
Abiquiu
Open House
Bullet Points
Live Free Or Die
Felina

Okay eps:

Cancer Man
Down

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:40 pm 

Fly almost made me quit watching the show, I had never been so annoyed or frustrated with a damn episode before that. Looking back...I mean I understood at the time the entire thing was a metaphor, it just seemed so HEAVY HANDED. Maybe I would enjoy it more now, but man, it was so frustrating at the time.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:48 pm 

Yeah I also hate that episode and have no time for people who say it's one of the best in the series/an example of groundbreaking television. Ugh. Fuck Rian Johnson.

Enjoying the new episodes of Black Mirror right now. Still got one to go but so far the first two are way less ridiculous than the last season got and are more grounded in humanity with good, relatable characters in weirdly fucked up situations.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:13 am 

Anyone keeping up with Killjoys? The first few episodes were pretty lame, but I'm halfway through season 3 and I'm pretty damned impressed. You do have to overlook the endless barrage of mind numbingly obnoxious "jokes" that originated from shitty American procedural primetime shows and have now infected everything (even Discovery; speaking of, droneriot would hate Killjoys), but if you have an even passing interest in heavily serialized action/sci-fi with a "bigger picture" that unravels slowly ala Babylon 5 or Farscape, definitely give it a looksie. At this point I think I'd have to take Killjoys over Dark Matter, which is just what happened anyway. Dark Matter was a bit less bleak, but there's no question Killjoys wiped the floor with everything else.

Oh, and Hannah John-Kamen murry mee alredy plz

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:22 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Fly almost made me quit watching the show, I had never been so annoyed or frustrated with a damn episode before that. Looking back...I mean I understood at the time the entire thing was a metaphor, it just seemed so HEAVY HANDED. Maybe I would enjoy it more now, but man, it was so frustrating at the time.

Razakel wrote:
Yeah I also hate that episode and have no time for people who say it's one of the best in the series/an example of groundbreaking television. Ugh. Fuck Rian Johnson.

The Fly wasn't bad. You guys understand it was a filler episode, right?

Obligatory Last FM Link

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:27 am 

Fly was a great episode. It was filler made just to spend a little money they had left over and still managed to get in some great character moments.

Don't get the hate for Johnson. I've liked most stuff I've seen from him really. Looper was the only thing I thought was kinda mediocre. Loved Brick, "Ozymandias" and The Last Jedi.

Razakel wrote:
Enjoying the new episodes of Black Mirror right now. Still got one to go but so far the first two are way less ridiculous than the last season got and are more grounded in humanity with good, relatable characters in weirdly fucked up situations.

Yeah, the other two after the first one aren't quite as good as the old BM episodes but it's a big step up from crap like "Crocodile" or whatever.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:39 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
The Fly wasn't bad. You guys understand it was a filler episode, right?

I don't understand calling it "filler" as if that's supposed to make me like it MORE? I don't want any filler episodes. Ever.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:36 am 

What the hell even is a "filler" episode?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:38 am 

The episode was only made because of financial restrictions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_(Breaking_Bad)#Production

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 182  Next