Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:59 am 

I just learned about this album and it states that the first four songs we recorded with the original vocalist and the other eight were recorded with Karl, but the entire album is basically live recordings in the studio and by looking into when all 12 tracks were recorded they were recorded months before the first three albums' releases.

So my question is, are the 12 tracks on compilation album the original versions of the songs that are available on the three studio albums; the songs on the new albums are basically re-recorded/newer versions?

Thanks for all the answers!

HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:19 am 

Not sure if I understand your questions right but the Peel sessions were live sessions for the John Peel radio show and feature bands playing live in the studio. Basically you get live in the studio versions, the odd cover version and so on. There's a good, cheap box featuring the Peel Sessions of Napalm Death, Extreme Noise Terror, Heresy, Godlfesh, Bolt Thrower, Carcass and some others (but not Doom...always liked their Black Sabbath cover but swapped the 12" many moons ago) so it's easy to get a whole bunch of them easily. The Carcass and Napalm Death ones are pretty classic. Also has 12 Bolt Thrower tracks on it, which I'd assume are the same ones you've mentions https://www.discogs.com/Various-Grind-M ... ter/230724

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:25 am 

He's asking if they were recorded before the albums because he gets anxiety attacks if the chronology of his reviews is wrong.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:37 am 

HaPoStaPu wrote:
Not sure if I understand your questions right but the Peel sessions were live sessions for the John Peel radio show and feature bands playing live in the studio. Basically you get live in the studio versions, the odd cover version and so on. There's a good, cheap box featuring the Peel Sessions of Napalm Death, Extreme Noise Terror, Heresy, Godlfesh, Bolt Thrower, Carcass and some others (but not Doom...always liked their Black Sabbath cover but swapped the 12" many moons ago) so it's easy to get a whole bunch of them easily. The Carcass and Napalm Death ones are pretty classic. Also has 12 Bolt Thrower tracks on it, which I'd assume are the same ones you've mentions https://www.discogs.com/Various-Grind-M ... ter/230724

What I'm asking is, are the live versions of the songs that were recorded live that are also available on the first three studio albums are actually re-recorded versions?

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:56 am 

droneriot wrote:
He's asking if they were recorded before the albums because he gets anxiety attacks if the chronology of his reviews is wrong.

You damn right, hehe!

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:57 am 

Petrus_Steele wrote:
What I'm asking is, are the live versions of the songs that were recorded live that are also available on the first three studio albums are actually re-recorded versions?

...what?

The info page for the Peel Compilation states that at least the second session was recorded a few days after Realm of Chaos was released. The first and third sessions appear to have been recorded some months before (respectively) In Battle and War Master were recorded, according to Wikipedia. I'm not sure if this is what you are asking about. The songs that appear in the albums are obviously re-recorded and not the same versions that appear in the Peel Sessions.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:04 am 

CrippledLucifer wrote:
Petrus_Steele wrote:

...what?

The info page for the Peel Compilation states that at least the second session was recorded a few days after Realm of Chaos was released. The first and third sessions appear to have been recorded some months before (respectively) In Battle and War Master were recorded. I'm not sure if this is what you are asking about.

I'm simply asking if the songs from The Peel Sessions that also appear on the first three records are re-recorded, giving the different sounds and release dates?

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:05 am 

Petrus_Steele wrote:
CrippledLucifer wrote:
Petrus_Steele wrote:

...what?

The info page for the Peel Compilation states that at least the second session was recorded a few days after Realm of Chaos was released. The first and third sessions appear to have been recorded some months before (respectively) In Battle and War Master were recorded. I'm not sure if this is what you are asking about.

I'm simply asking if the songs from The Peel Sessions that also appear on the first three records are re-recorded, giving the different sounds and release dates?

yes, the peel sessions recordings are different from what you'll find on the album releases

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:18 am 

Since we know you're asking this due to your obsession with reviewing discographies in order, couldn't you just... listen to them and see if they're different?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:25 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Since we know you're asking this due to your obsession with reviewing discographies in order, couldn't you just... listen to them and see if they're different?

I will, but I wanted to ask the community to make sure along with what I could gather to determine.

Of course I can just skip the freaking thing and move on with my life and listen to all the eight albums, but this one also features other recordings of the original singer and a song that wasn't released anywhere, 'Domination'.

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:41 am 

Also, generally checking here or Wikipedia or the album’s liner notes will often tell you recording dates and release dates to help your chronology.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:26 am 

wednesdaysixx wrote:
Also, generally checking here or Wikipedia or the album’s liner notes will often tell you recording dates and release dates to help your chronology.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to find out to determine whether that'll answer my question. But I listened to the album decided to skip it. I'm just going to listen to the eight studio albums.

Thanks anyway!

Reply to topic