Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:29 am 

Unless Sabaton song writers have the memory of goldfish, I don't understand how they could write this exact "hook" so many times without noticing.
Listen at 1:44 ... it needs to stop :lol: Sabaton has done it a million times already

There's a 1:14 long intro, so minus that the "hook" happens at 0:30... now look here below, it's a TREND and it's annoying:

Same as here at 0:38

Same as here at 0:41

Same as here at 0:39

Notice how it's not only pretty much the same melody, it's ALMOST AT THE SAME MINUTE MARK IN ALL SONGS TOO :lol: it only differs a second or two :lol:

I don't care about originality
But maybe try making unique melodies, at least?

And yeah, as a rookie metal musician I'm definitely guilty of this too, but at least I've taken note of it, and will not do it again :lol:

This is pretty much the 2010s equivilent of the "You Give Love A Bad Name" chorus of the 80s :lol:

TitaniumNK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:36 am 

When I heard they were going to release a WW1 themed album I thought all of it would revolve around Western front, but I see that at least one song will deal with Eastern front events - namely "The Attack of the Dead". As for the rest, I somehow get the feeling that Those Once Loyal pinpoints the trench horror atmosphere better than Sabaton's hu-ha approach. This will prove to be a beating of a horse that already died of mustard gas, I think.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:16 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
Unless Sabaton song writers have the memory of goldfish, I don't understand how they could write this exact "hook" so many times without noticing.
Listen at 1:44 ... it needs to stop :lol: Sabaton has done it a million times already
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWEb-At8yc
There's a 1:14 long intro, so minus that the "hook" happens at 0:30... now look here below, it's a TREND and it's annoying:

Same as here at 0:38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEV3mbS-HgY

Same as here at 0:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGV6bCTMM5w

Same as here at 0:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZMu0-nL3Xo

Notice how it's not only pretty much the same melody, it's ALMOST AT THE SAME MINUTE MARK IN ALL SONGS TOO :lol: it only differs a second or two :lol:

I don't care about originality
But maybe try making unique melodies, at least?

And yeah, as a rookie metal musician I'm definitely guilty of this too, but at least I've taken note of it, and will not do it again :lol:

This is pretty much the 2010s equivilent of the "You Give Love A Bad Name" chorus of the 80s :lol:

/shrug

It's a good hook. I'll not shove it away.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:14 pm 

Gloryhammer and Twilight Force are two more bands who make the genre look bad, so not surprised...

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:08 pm 

idunnosomename wrote:
doo dada DOOOO solo lick

I love and hate that I know what this is, complete with the exact melody playing is in my head.

Sabaton....meh. Wasn't around for them in their early years. Someone said they don't write real guitar riffs anymore and that pretty much sums up why I don't care for their modern songs very much. Maybe it will click with me one day, maybe it won't.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:45 pm 

I think their actually a cool band, mainly for Joakin Brodens voice. Love that gruff, deeper style. I can see why people think they are samey- they are- so the only question is whether its more sameyness that you like or not. I like some cheesy synths and melodic riffs and who reads lyrics anyway?

I'm looking forward to this though I cannot see it upping Beast in Black for the Cheese Plate this year.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:30 am 

After the terrible last record, the new song sounds great, the music video looks outstanding and the topic is also quite intriguing. I hope ''Bismarck'' will make it onto a limited edition of the upcoming record. I'm also looking forward to hear what Sabaton made out of ''In Flanders Fields'', the most famous Canadian poem ever written.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

thelongwalk666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:35 am 

I like their songs, but I do think the vocals are abit annoying. He should sing in an octave higher.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:54 pm 

thelongwalk666 wrote:
I like their songs, but I do think the vocals are abit annoying. He should sing in an octave higher.

Hell no!!!! I like his vocals and their lower range. too much power metal lacks power in the vocals with all the high pitched screeching. IMO, YMMV, and all that.

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:37 pm 

I used to listen to Sabaton like 5 years ago, they were my first metal band. You know how it goes, I thought they were the best fricking band on Earth. Well, at least it's better being introduced to metal through them and not through mallcore. They aren't really a bad band, they are really popular in the history/strategy gaming community and rightfully so.

Nowadays when I listen to them I have strange feelings. Some songs (like this new single Bismarck) remind me of hair metal bands. Am I the only one who hears that?

Rocka_Rollas wrote:

Haha, I listen to this song right now and have strong flashbacks. This song is literally a clone of lots of other Sabaton songs. Some parts, like the hook you mentioned, strongly remind me of Uprising.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:53 am 

The new single has dropped on YouTube (audio only; videoclip coming in at 13 CEST): https://youtu.be/6pvRzVY2IzQ

Earlier this week they released a cover of the track, done by Apocalyptica:
https://youtu.be/bQDJpL_PbGg

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:39 am 

Diplomate wrote:
They aren't really a bad band, they are really popular in the history/strategy gaming community and rightfully so.

I remember walking around a comic book store once and some teenagers were playing Magic at a table. One of them was talking about this band he had discovered and how "it's weird. It's in Swedish." In the moment I thought something like "Jesus kid, you are so American." Never did hear him name drop a band but I'm like 90% certain he was about the Swedish edition of Carolus Rex.

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:58 am 

Lord_Lexy wrote:
The new single has dropped on YouTube (audio only; videoclip coming in at 13 CEST): https://youtu.be/6pvRzVY2IzQ

Earlier this week they released a cover of the track, done by Apocalyptica:
https://youtu.be/bQDJpL_PbGg

At this point every single thing Sabaton does is so clichéd it's not funny anymore.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:36 am 

With Sabaton I LOVE Heroes and can listen to that all day long, save for the Ballad of Bull. Then again I'm a WW2 nut.

Carolus Rex is pretty damn strong too. But outside that its just scattered tunes off records. Hopefully this gives me the vibe I got from Heroes but we will see. Don't care for Bismark to be honest.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:50 am 

The video for those interested:

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:11 am 

Not enough "un" rhymes in the chorus

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:14 am 

A second single:

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:45 am 

Sounds like a Sabatonized version of Uriah Heep's "Easy Livin'." Little weird but not bad.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:11 am 

That's actually probably the most fun song they've ever written. Not too shabby.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:21 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
With Sabaton I LOVE Heroes and can listen to that all day long, save for the Ballad of Bull. Then again I'm a WW2 nut.

Carolus Rex is pretty damn strong too. But outside that its just scattered tunes off records. Hopefully this gives me the vibe I got from Heroes but we will see. Don't care for Bismark to be honest.

I actually love the Ballad of Bull, and I'm a guy who normally skips ballads. Though Joakim is a bit out of place, that piano production is too nice to not listen to.

Mugroar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:15 pm 

I'm looking forward to it, like all new Sabaton albums. They've settled into "bite size (4 minutes or less) big and bombastic power metal with great production" for a few albums now, and I'm okay with that. We need bands like this - sometimes I want to listen to some symphonic metal, but don't really need the 5-7+ minute epics. A band like Amberian Dawn will scratch my itch. It doesn't need to be long, complex, and/or technical to be enjoyable.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:09 pm 

They just released a cover of Uriah Heeps - Easy Livin :lol:

[EDIT] I released I was a few days late with the link, didn't check previous posts :-P

WarriorFenix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:29 pm 

title track for their upcoming album.

Between this and "Red Baron" this album already seems waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than their previous effort

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:39 pm 

WarriorFenix wrote:

title track for their upcoming album.

Between this and "Red Baron" this album already seems waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than their previous effort

"The Red Baron" is pretty great, but this one is very been-there-done-that. Yawn.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:28 pm 

I’ve never heard anything from these guys ever before. I decided to check them out after reading this thread. I decided to buy Carolus Rex and am listening to the album now..

This sounds so cheesy!!

At best I thought they’d sound like late eighties Black Sabbath. And at worse, Edguy. It’s not remotely close to either. This my first ever modern power metal record purchase.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:19 am 

Released today and officially available for full listening here:

https://sabaton.bandcamp.com/album/the-great-war

There are also a "History Edition" and a "Soundtrack" thing:
https://sabaton.bandcamp.com/album/the- ... ry-edition
https://sabaton.bandcamp.com/album/the- ... -great-war

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:32 am 

On first listen, this is about what I expected. It's better than The Last Stand and there's a slight dark tinge fitting the theme, but it's very much Sababton doing what they do.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:11 pm 

The people who don't hear this is as Nightwish with a male vocalist are fucking deaf.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:05 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
The people who don't hear this is as Nightwish with a male vocalist are fucking deaf.

Got a specific era of Nightwish in mind? The similarities I can hear are tangential at best.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:08 pm 

The old Nightwish albums up to Century Child are way better written than whatever Sabaton does now.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:24 pm 

Quote:
"and we also went back in time to a concept we know a lot of you love"

Oh yes.. isn't Herr Pär right about that. We all just love The War to End All Wars. Although I'm not sure how the 16 million that died would feel about the event being called a "concept".

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:25 pm 

This is a pretty boring album. They peaked with Coat of Arms and they'll never go back.....been downhill from there.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:20 am 

Doomsday wrote:

Saying Nightwish and Sabaton sound alike is like saying Candlemass and My Dying Bride sound alike. Maybe on the most bare-bones surface level imaginable, maybe...but no, not even close.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:40 am 

Yeah I don't really hear Nightwish at all when I listen to Sabaton. Other than they both use guitars and drums, I don't hear much similarity.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:05 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
This is a pretty boring album. They peaked with Coat of Arms and they'll never go back.....been downhill from there.

Weird that you say this, because Coat of Arms is what I consider Sabaton's least engaging album.

The new album is pretty good but a bit frustrating. Literally was able to sing along to the first track using the lyrics . . . on my first listen to that track. But I reckon the guitar work is more interesting and complex, and I just cannot go past Joakim's voice- it just works so much better for power metal than a higher pitched voice would.

In general, I've found Sabaton albums to pretty much be at their peak on your first listen, with a drop off pretty quickly- I rapidly become sick of their albums. I'm findind that this album didn't grab me at first but is growing on me and Sabaton albums aren't generally growers. This suggests there is a bit more going on below the surface than what might be heard at first.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:57 pm 

What Doomsday probably means is less of a direct sonic comparison between the two bands and more that both Nightwish and Sabaton are the same type of band in essence: Jaunty, shallow, festival-friendly symphonic pop bands that are only just barely metal in the sense that they have chugging guitars.

At least Nightwish are good songwriters. Sabaton just make the same song over and over again with no deviation.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:55 pm 

Doomsday wrote:

I absolutely agree with you, Sabaton is extremely similar to Nightwish for me. I don't understand why nobody else hears that.
Subrick wrote:
What Doomsday probably means is less of a direct sonic comparison between the two bands and more that both Nightwish and Sabaton are the same type of band in essence: Jaunty, shallow, festival-friendly symphonic pop bands that are only just barely metal in the sense that they have chugging guitars.

At least Nightwish are good songwriters. Sabaton just make the same song over and over again with no deviation.

Nightwish's early albums are metal. Sabaton is basically a watered-down version of early Nightwish with a male vocalist. The riffs, symphonics sound similar to me.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:53 pm 

I've always made the connection personally. The title track to Attero Dominatus is just Wishmaster with different vocal lines.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2