Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:25 am 

Hello,

As an amateur magician myself of 13 years I was interested in seeing if anyone else in the community is similarly interested in magic.

I always wanted to be one step ahead of the "tricks your grandfather showed you." Incidentally, I first became interested in magic after seeing a magician perform at a restaurant while visiting another state on a vacation. I still remember the initial feeling of true and pure astonishment for the first time. Today, I try to encapsulate that same feeling within the spectator when I do performances.

Do any of you have any favorite magicians, routines, or performances? I'm a huge fan of Michael Vincent right now. Also in my book, the simple Triumph routine (from the Stars of Magic in 1946) simply cannot be beat for the regular audience. I've found that both of them (primarily the latter, as another has noted) can create truly strong and astonishing magic (even for magicians, or those in the know, so to speak) with only a few set of technical skills. It really gets you to thinking about what can be created following the blending of several techniques together, or perhaps in merely varying the presentation one could end up with an entirely different effect whose similarity would not altogether be noticed by a lay audience.

With perhaps a bit more focus and work, I could see myself one day in the professional realm and that possibility really tickles me. I'd love to see if anyone has a curiously hidden passion for the craft as I do.

Last edited by ~Guest 193166 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:15 am 

In high school I had one particular math class, where every Friday we always just kind of chilled. And every Friday, our teacher Mr. Lanik (coolest damn dude btw) would show us a new magic or card trick. They were never very elaborate, but they were a great way to spend a 45 minute class. Beat the hell out of math anyways.

I myself have always loved watching magic but I've never had the means or patience to learn it myself. I remember watching Breaking the Magician's Code all the time as a kid, although later I learned about how magicians and illusionists all hated how that show revealed all these secrets of the trade and in retrospect, it DOES seem pretty scummy. As a kid watching that stuff though, of course the first question on my mind was "how?" so I always got something out of the explanations.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:11 am 

I was a lot into them as a child. emphasis on child. I really couldn't fathom why they would let David Copperfield make the statue of liberty disappear, let alone how he did it. it broke my heart when I realized they're basically scammers...

I watched the whole Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed when it came out, and some of it was really awesome. but mostly it made me feel scammed.

I like Derren Brown a lot, as he's intelligent and does more than "let me pull this rabbit out of a hat" stuff. others, like David Blaine, I'd gladly punch. file under "famous for nothing" category.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:56 pm 

aloof wrote:
like David Blaine, I'd gladly punch. file under "famous for nothing" category.

Well, I completely understand that. However, Blaine's approach at the time-although dry--was ground-breaking. He is credited with popularizing an effect that had been sorely under-appreciated, originally called Be Honest, what is it? (I forget the originator's name).

Over the years, as a magician myself, I've become more interested in sheer technical skill over the actual effect perceived. To me its a shame that the predominant mindset is encapsulated within the digital/Internet ethos. Years ago, all you had to learn was by sitting down and reading through a book, the old school way. That is the much more rewarding way, although there are many great resources online undoubtedly.

I'm generally shocked whenever I realize that the vast majority of the public is seemingly unaware of who Ed Marlo even was. He literally created it all, essentially; specifically with regard to card magic. As one of his students (Bill Malone) has noted, "if you see a card trick, I will guarantee you that at least one element of that trick came from Ed Marlo." Legend!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:38 am 

I thought this was going to be another thread by one of those dumbass kids (or that same dumbass kid) who thought magic--as in actual, literal sorcery--was real.

I'm a little disappointed. Stage magic is cool and all, but nothing brings me joy like knowing some idiot out there really thinks waving a sage stick = casting a spell.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:32 am 

ksevile wrote:
Blaine's approach at the time-although dry--was ground-breaking. He is credited with popularizing an effect that had been sorely under-appreciated, originally called Be Honest, what is it? (I forget the originator's name).

I looked that up, it's a card trick? no big deal, if you ask me... I mostly know and despise him for ridiculous stunts like agreeing to appear on a uk TV show only to look creepy and not speak at all, or spend a month "suspended in a plexiglas box" (while taking regular breaks) - that was my jogging route at the time...

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:31 pm 

Edited: removed for desire for anonymity of persons previously named.

Last edited by ~Guest 193166 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:34 pm 

I always loved Penn & Teller when Penn shuts up about his opinions and they actually perform.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:54 pm 

Edited: pruned for privacy reasons.

Reply to topic