Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:49 pm 

Yeah I read about that somewhere too. Doesn't really surprise me. Just another reason not to get your hopes up about it.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:10 pm 

About Dawn of Justice...I honestly think it's going to be a grower. There's so much delicious grimdark bullshit in it, like an edgelord Tim Burton, and he's very smart when it comes to saving the most memorable parts of a movie for last. His real trouble as a filmmaker is that he has one mode - "cool shit, bro" - and doesn't know how to change gears very well. For as much flack as 300 gets and deserves, it feels very much like a comic come to life and, in that sense, it's great.

If JJ Abrams wants to be a Spielberg/Lucas hybrid then Snyder is Burton/Fincher, or at least wants to be.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:13 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
If JJ Abrams wants to be a Spielberg/Lucas hybrid

He's a Michael Bay apprentice and will always be a Michael Bay apprentice.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:18 pm 

Tons of Spielberg in his work, though. It's pretty obvious in the emotional beats, especially from Super 8 onward.

darkeningday wrote:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:43 pm 

I don't know what you mean, though one thing good about JJ is that he doesn't do Rocky. "Hero is at the bottom, nearly defeated, then suddenly, with heavy music, a rush of spirit, and hero gets back up and strikes back" that's been plaguing almost every genre movie of this century. Peter Jackson was godawful for that, so was much of the MCU.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:33 pm 

JJ at least injects a bit of fun and novelty into his direction most of the time; Bay is just an onslaught of boring chase scenes and high school grade drama. They both make 2 hour commercials that you have to pay for, but JJ makes GEICO commercials whereas Bay makes ExtenZe commercials that play when your mom is sitting on the couch next to you.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:43 pm 

:lol: I think that's the best description of Bay I've ever seen

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:43 pm 

That actually makes it sound good to me because when I was in the USA in 2004 and saw Geico commercials I thought those were actually the coolest commercials I've ever seen. I also loved the Hitler Channel and Spike. And string cheese but that's a different subject.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:03 pm 

That's the best description of anything ever.

EDIT:
Also, Avengers: Endgame was marvelous. I'd still say the first Avengers is the best, but this was absolutely on par with Winter Soldier. I may swap those two depending on my mood. Cathartic as fuck, ties up so many loose ends, and pays tribute to every story arc established.

darkeningday wrote:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:35 am 

Razakel wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
Well, my son thinks Godzilla: King of the Monsters is the best film ever. It's a fun movie, but best movie ever? Eh. Still, it was enjoyable, there's a lot more monster action than the 2014 film, and there are some really great shots in there. I would have liked to see a bit more Mothra action, and to get to know the new kaiju a bit more, but eh, I still enjoyed it.

I'm positive that as a kid I would have considered it the greatest movie ever too. Hell, I even watched my VHS copy of the godawful 1998 American Godzilla over and over again when it first came out.

I watched the old King Kong vs Godzilla over and over again as a kid. My son also really loved Brightburn. It was his first R-rated movie in the theater (he's 15).

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:00 am 

Ha, I used to watch old Godzilla movies all the time growing up. Only Mechagodzilla is real.

Obligatory Last FM Link

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 pm 

Reefer Madness - Awful 1930s anti-"marihuana" film. It's not even necessary to approach this with a modern "Duuuuuude people a century ago were so uptight and laaaaaame" mindset to conclude it sucks. Regardless of the alarmist tone, it had too many characters and a draggy pace that made it feel much longer than an hour. 2 / 10

Happy Death Day 2U - I expected to have some problems with this just because it's a sequel to a movie that didn't need one. I never really wanted a scientific explanation for the time loop. And the main character's arc was unlikely to be as compelling a second time. The killer reveal was also less interesting than the original's.

Despite all that, parts of this worked surprisingly well. Similar to the first movie, it definitely helps when it looks like the performers are having fun. For example that dumb slapstick bit involving supporting characters near the end? It should have fallen flat, but the actors sold it. 6 or 6.5 / 10 for now, which might go up if I re-watch it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:11 pm 

I feel vindicated by RedLetterMedia; they said that not only was Dark Phoenix nowhere even close to being the worst X-Men movie, but Mike even said it was the best since X2. I wouldn't go that far, but there's little doubt it's not bad. In fact, after meditating on it more, I'm going to revise my score to a 6/10 and tentatively recommend a cheap rent or torrent.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:56 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Happy Death Day 2U - I expected to have some problems with this just because it's a sequel to a movie that didn't need one. I never really wanted a scientific explanation for the time loop. And the main character's arc was unlikely to be as compelling a second time. The killer reveal was also less interesting than the original's.

That's saying a lot, considering that the first one all but screams "The mousy roommate! The mousy roommate!" 5 minutes in. For me, the whole movie wasn't even about a girl stuck in a time loop, it was about why the mousy roommate is a killer.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:06 am 

I watched a couple of movies about women getting into the music business.

My official Jem and the Holograms review: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME

The Runaways was solid, but then again all biopics kinda suck. Michael Shannon is a fucking wildman and Kristen Stewart is a pretty damn good Joan Jett. Was Lita Ford really that much of a cunt? Because she's almost cartoonishly so in this.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:56 am 

Glenn Danzig apparently made an incredibly terrible horror anthology movie which premiered in Chicago this week. How bad? I posted a bigger comment about it in the Tommy Wiseau thread.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:01 am 

I watched two things recently, one of which I'm not proud of. I... I... watched Captain Marvel again. My brother had the Blu-Ray! It wasn't my fault! Anyway, I thought it sucked slightly less than before, but it's still near the bottom of the Marvel heap, with the likes of the Ant-Man movies.

Also watched The Discovery on Netflix. This turned out to be really good. It stars Jason Segel in a dramatic roll originally meant for Nicholas Hoult, but he really nails it. If you've seen the trailer, you know that the premise is that a scientist is able to definitively prove that there's an afterlife, in the sense that consciousness remains coherent on some level and lasts beyond physical death. The movie then explores the next logical step, which is to try to figure out what it is. I really enjoyed it.

Daysbetween
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:11 pm 

I also watched Captain Marvel tonight although this was my first my first viewing. I thought it was pretty bad and won't be watching it again. Think I am fed up with Marvel as it has been overkill over the last few years and they are scraping the barrel.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:30 am 

After enjoying Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and everyone here raving about Shin Godzilla, I decided to watch it. It was okay but I didn't really love it. It was really weird. It looked like more of a political drama than anything else. Plus the first iteration of the monster looked like a lizard/toad with googly eyes and I couldn't stop laughing.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:24 pm 

Recently watched:

Men In Black International - pretty awful
The Warrior and the Sorceress - pretty good, lots of boobs and Carradine looking ultra-badass
Dr. Strangelove - some very funny scenes, but I think I lack IQ points to fully appreciate these kind of comedies

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:00 pm 

not having much luck on movies these days...

I watched another Ricardo Darín movie, Thesis on a Homicide, which I wouldn't recommend. not bad, but very frustrating.

if you really wanna know,
Spoiler: show
there's no conclusive ending. you have to think back to piece it together yourselves.

then I also watched Housewife, from the director of Baskin. I loved Baskin, but hated Housewife. that was a steep fall. bad acting, plonky dialogue, ridiculous plot, oh and let's throw some tentacles in to appeal to Lovecraft fans. don't waste your time on this piece of s**t :/

I also wanted to go see Dark Phoenix, but didn't, and it looks like I dodged a bullet...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:44 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
After enjoying Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and everyone here raving about Shin Godzilla, I decided to watch it. It was okay but I didn't really love it. It was really weird. It looked like more of a political drama than anything else. Plus the first iteration of the monster looked like a lizard/toad with googly eyes and I couldn't stop laughing.

I had the complete opposite reaction to Shin Godzilla's early form; I thought it was super unsettling to the point I hated looking at it every second it was on camera. That exact kind of googly, dead eyed fish stare just triggers a super strong uncanny valley reaction in me, so couple that with the way the thing just crawls and bleeds everywhere like a creature whose every living second is pure torment and just... blargh. Nope. Nope nope nope.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:22 pm 

^ Yeah same. It is ridiculous looking, but yeah, in a weirdly disturbing way. It just looks so unnatural and fucked up.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 am 

Finally watched Mandy this weekend. Daaaaaaaaaaamn is that something I immediately fell in love with but won't watch again anytime soon. A grimy fantasy revenge thriller set in 1983 where the cinematography is just an insane acid trip? Fuck yeah. 8.5/10

darkeningday wrote:

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:03 am 

The first time I saw Mandy, I immediately watched it again. And the next night. And a week later. And I've now watched it at least once a month since October. That shit's so incredibly my jam it HURTS. I'd take a bullet for Panos Cosmatos.

If you think Mandy is an insane acid trip, don't step foot anywhere near Cosmatos' first film Beyond the Black Rainbow. It's essentially a film made in a comparable style to Mandy, just slowed down 100x. For real it is GLACIALLY SLOW and pretty experimental in comparison. It's also incredible though. Every shot is just absolutely chef's kiss. Anyone who fancies themself a fan of cinematography would do themselves a favor to give it a try, although it is NOT for everyone.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:54 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Finally watched Mandy this weekend. Daaaaaaaaaaamn is that something I immediately fell in love with but won't watch again anytime soon. A grimy fantasy revenge thriller set in 1983 where the cinematography is just an insane acid trip? Fuck yeah. 8.5/10

I really enjoyed Mandy. Stylish to the extreme, but constantly held your attention.

Don't forget your Goblin Cheddar.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:34 am 

the Ricardo Darín fan club, contd.:

watched https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420509/ el aura, and it's great. it's basically an early Tarantino movie in slow motion :D and all the better for it :)

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:00 am 

^Looks very good! I've added it to my watch-list. :)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm 

Incredible. I always thought memes were complete overreactions just for the purpose of trolling. But now I finally watched Batman vs Superman and the whole story was really a lot better than I expected and really pulled me in, the whole scheme of Lex Luthor to make Superman and Batman fight, really engaging, really exciting, and then the much-memed "why did you say that name?" really did pull down the entire plot down to an infinite level of stupid. They come up with this huge scheme to make them fight each other and that's how they solve it? Fuck that's gotta be one of the most stupid scenes in movie history.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:27 pm 

In the realm of pointless horror sequels, I find it absolutely fascinating that there have been TWENTY-THREE different Amityville Horror movies in some way, shape, or form, and literally every single one of them except the first one is fucking terrible. Talk about milking an idea for all that it’s worth. Even then, one’s enjoyment of the first movie is very much dependent on how one feels about the ultra slowburn horror style of the 60s and 70s.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:19 pm 

The new Child's Play was surprisingly good. One of the better horror remakes I can think of. They updated it enough that it came off fresh, the whole thing was a mess of gory fun and wry humor, and I wasn't bored. The angle of turning it into a modern 'smart toy' instead of just retelling the whole murderer voodoo plot was a breath of fresh air. Lot of quite funny moments. Mark Hamill as Chucky and Aubrey Plaza as the mom were both enjoyable.

Also checked out Cannibal Holocaust after all these years. That was something. It's one of those movies that it's moot whether or not you "liked" it since it's such a gore-fest and so repulsive in every way. Reading even a little about the making of it is crazy too. But it's relentless and just keeps coming at you. Just this totally depraved experience, no real punch-pulling, no stopping it, and that was intriguing. So I dunno - I saw it and am now definitely aware that this was a movie.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:17 pm 

Chucky without Don Mancini is like Iron Maiden without Bruce Dickinson

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:50 pm 

This was an extremely entertaining movie anyway though. It could've just been its own thing and wouldn't have lost any quality. Just fun as fuck.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:58 pm 

Book of Monsters - I got tricked by the IMDB plot summary:

Quote:
Sophie's 18th birthday becomes a bloodbath when monsters descend upon her house and start to devour the party guests. Sophie and her friends must rally together to send their party crashers back to hell.

Thought it sounded like a gender-swapped (and slightly aged up) take on The Monster Squad. Fun, right?! Too bad it did almost everything wrong, including basic technical stuff. The dialogue would get way too quiet at times, even when nobody was whispering, while other sounds stayed at normal volume. Amateurish and boring. 3 / 10

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:22 pm 

Yeah the new Child's Play had no business being as rad as it was. Expected a soulless cash grab, ended up absolutely loving it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:16 am 

more Ricardo Darín:

Carancho https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1542852/ is a great movie, but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone... it's one of those movies that make you feel nauseous and hate humanity (if you don't hate it 24/7 anyway). it's also quite slow.

The Summit https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6047298/ came out on warner bros, so it has "american" production values. I loved it. politics as a parable, or the other way round. 9.5 out of 10 for me.

///

also watched The Babysitter, which was naive and obvious, but okay for a pop corn / "ironic" horror movie that's not really horror.

and the first story in The Field Guide to Evil https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6688354/ which wasn't something special, but the next one is by the guy who made Baskin, so looking forward to putting it back on...

does anyone care for a short? https://vimeo.com/342619411 under 5 mins and quite funny...

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:11 pm 

Mid 90s (2018)
Jonah Hill's directorial debut (that he also wrote) is a must-see for everybody here in their 30s, or anybody craving a 90s nostalgia flick that actually feels like something from the 90s. It's part coming of age tale and part slice of life, basking in its aimless glory while letting the characters and conversations tell the story. The cast, a relative bunch of unknowns (save for Katherine Waterston), add legitimacy and urgency to their situations, reacting in age and period appropriate manners to the consequences of their destructive decisions, made all the more palpable by the gritty aesthetic Hill delivers so wonderfully. This is what Thirteen was trying to be so hard but failed so miserably at.

On a personal note, I knew way too many kids like these ones. One character, in particular, reminded me so much of my late friend Adam that I was waiting for him to put Sublime's "Badfish" on the stereo, a staple at all of Adam's parties.

The cast, for the most part, delivers. Sunny Suljic plays Stevie, our main character, and always comes across with the kind of youthful exuberance that a younger kid hanging out with older kids typically has. Also worth noting are Na-kel Smith as Ray and Olan Prenatt as Fuckshit, whose dynamic ebbs and flows naturally from their clashing personalities. The rest of the cast fulfills their duties, and there are moments of subtle brilliance from Lucas Hedge (playing Ian, Stevie's abusive older brother) and Rider McLaughlin (the dim-witted videographer of the group, Fourth Grade). It helps that the dialogue, which is so Jonah Hill it hurts, flows effortlessly through all of them, the natural deliveries and pauses and "ummms" adding even more realism to the film.

What stuck the most with me is the lack of true resolution and only a brief hint at what the future holds. This doesn't end on a happy note nor a sorrowful one, it just sort of trails off. While deflating on initial viewing? I can't think of a more 90s way to end an independent coming of age film focusing on juvenile delinquency and the importance of friendship, no matter the troubles surrounding it. 8/10

darkeningday wrote:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:27 pm 

I've seen a lot of comic book movies by now but I recently finally watched Daredevil and that's just incredible. Colin Farrell seriously gives Tommy Wiseau real competition for his status as an acting legend - though it's probably more along the lines of Kid Rock in Joe Dirt. And the first time Daredevil and Elektra meet in the movie they act sort of antagonistic for a minute and then randomly start this weird dance sequence that made me think I'm watching a Bollywood movie. At least Elektra's house made more sense, random flour bags falling from the ceiling in sequence is something every good household should have. But then she tries to kill Daredevil for killing her father, even though she was right there when Tommy Rock or Kid Wiseau threw that stick thing, guess she's short-sighted or something. She stabs him through the chest but he's fine of course, and she gets killed and will also be fine in the sequel I can't quite muster up the courage to do to myself yet. I'm still speechless about how incredibly dumb it was, and not in an entertaining way (like Ghost Rider which I've watched the same day, which is at least fun in its dumbness), just incredible how they put that in the theater and thought they'd make a dime from it.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:39 pm 

If you can imagine it, Elektra is even fucking worse. At least Daredevil has some humor and a great sleepwalk from Joe Patoliano, Elektra is dulllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Side note: Jennifer Garner is hotter now than she ever was before.

darkeningday wrote:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:47 pm 

The only reason I'm thinking of watching Elektra is actually that nothing can be worse than that Colin Farrell "acting performance", that's just out of this world.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 734, 735, 736, 737, 738, 739, 740 ... 818  Next