Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:47 pm 

I'm not very familiar with Weyes Blood but her new album is absolutely fantastic.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:51 pm 

Yeah, I just checked it out today, it's really great. Definitely the best singer songwriter type stuff I've heard this year. Except maybe the Better Oblivion Community Centre album.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:23 pm 

Altar de Fey - The Insatiable Desire​.​.​. For More

For those who miss that 80s classic west coast deathrock sound, but this sounds more malevolent than lot of what was made back then. It does help they originally formed in the 80s despite not really recording much back then.

https://altar-de-fey.bandcamp.com/album ... e-for-more

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:00 am 

The new Cage the Elephant album—Social Cues—is pretty damn good as long as you remove the Beck track. Sounds more post-punk revival with synths, like newer Franz Ferdinand. Overall I like it much better than Tell Me I'm Pretty.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:06 am 

There is a new Ice Ages out and that makes me happy.

https://iceages.bandcamp.com/

kluseba wrote:
provokingly calling me dude in your posts

lol dude

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:46 pm 

https://adarook.bandcamp.com/album/crisis-sigil

Crisis Sigil is a one-woman project from Canada. This self-titled debut EP shows off a noisy strain of hardcore. It's no frills and vicious, just how it should be - and a damn short release, too. Not reinventing the wheel but still killer.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:38 am 

Some interesting comments in this topic, I'll give a listen sooner or later.
I'm enjoying these albums:

Nivhek - After its own death / walking in a spiral towards the house. Side project of Liz Harris (Grouper), I feel like I'm suspended out of my body.

Brutus - Nest. Emerging band at their second full-length, raw and very emotional, as good as the acclaimed self-titled album, maybe even better.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:39 am 

Here are some things released in April I really dug:

Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Sprawling and theatrical. I love her lyrics. Everything about this is powerful.

Thayer Sarrano - Wings Alleluia
Lana Del Rey and Marissa Nadler have a child, but it's in a swamp.

Quelle Chris - Guns
Lyric heavy off-the-wall hip-hop. For fans of Danny Brown (sometimes he jacks his style a little too much)

Dave Hause - Kick
Anyone that's into Brian Fallon or Gaslight Anthem might like this. Although, some of it sounds closer to mid 90's radio-friendly alternative rock. A lot of hooks.

The Tallest Man On Earth - I Love You. It's A Fever Dream
This folk record is so beautiful. Well worth a long wait since his last record in 2015.

Craig Finn - I Need A New War
Anyone who has listened to Craig's solo records of The Hold Steady knows what to expect. Lyrically, he is one of the best to ever do it. Every single song could and should be blown into a full-blown movie script. The instrumentation on this is very good, sometimes jazzy, sometimes big-band/swing in a way.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:41 pm 

i guess my so far favourites are:

New Rome which already has been name dropped
Gets Worse - Snubbed is some top tier powerviolence
Torso - build and break is top tier d-beat
The Budos Band - V is some good afrobeat but the new record got more rock in it
Mdou Moctar - Ilana might be this years best desert blues record. We've been swamped kinda with p decent stuff from west africa in the last couple years and this new album breaks the mold a bit.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:54 pm 

I'm really digging the new Get Up Kids album "Problems", which I wasn't expecting since I was not at all fond of the last one. It's definitely a return to form, but not a forced and awkward sounding one. Grade A angst right here tbh.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 am 

jimbies wrote:
Anyone who has listened to Craig's solo records of The Hold Steady knows what to expect. Lyrically, he is one of the best to ever do it. Every single song could and should be blown into a full-blown movie script. The instrumentation on this is very good, sometimes jazzy, sometimes big-band/swing in a way.

This has become probably my most listened album this year, so far. Thank you so much for sharing!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:52 am 

Z0MBIE wrote:
jimbies wrote:

This has become probably my most listened album this year, so far. Thank you so much for sharing!

Nice! His other solo work and The Hold Steady's discography is absolutely worth checking out, although with the amount of music they have put out, it can become a rabbit hole. Enjoy!

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:23 am 

Igor is fucking incredible. This is some real good modern soul.

ZUU is a fun album also.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:14 am 

Some records from May:

Vampire Weekend - Father Of The Bride
Vampire Weekend finally returns with their first record since 2014. It's exactly what you would expect. It might have a few filler tracks on it (it's quite long) but the first half of the record is phenomenal

Alex Lahey - The Best Of Luck Club
Great no frills rock record with huge hooks and great production. I had never heard of her before this record. I checked it out blindly and wasn't disappointed.

Alanna Eileen - Artifice
Quiet singer-songwriter, kind of whimsical at times. For fans of old Tori Amos

Frankie Lee - Stillwater
Americana singer-songwriter. For fans of Bob Dylan / Neil Young. This record is even better than his last one, and he branches out a bit (Is that a waltz?!) The ballads are fantastic. Great lyrics.

Justin Rutledge - Passages
My favourite Canadian singer-songwriter. One of the smoothest voices around. This isn't his absolutely best effort (That would be Valleyheart), but it's still really good. Although, I think the timing of the release is off-season. These songs all sound very autumn/wintery. I bet I will get more into it during those seasons.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 pm 

Allow me to encroach:

I hereby recommend, with all the knurled, albeit centurian and patient, enthusiasm of a hoary willow oak, the following for stoner metal/rock phans who will soak up these hard-driving and chillaxing, liberating and winsome vybes faster than you can caw "Pshaw!":

1) Valley of the Sun_Old Gods

https://valleyofthesun.bandcamp.com/

This one sounds like a cathartically killer, grungy albeit astrally melodic criss-cross betwixt Soundgarden, AIC, COC and a tad of Kyuss thrown in the brew...utterly recommended to the nth power!

2) The Riven_The Riven

https://theriven.bandcamp.com/

Holy Roly! Killer femme fronted stoner rock bordering on the "heavy" s(l)ide - in both musical, as well as 60s lingo, terms, mind...Fans of Night Viper need this in their cakeholes asap,
as the singer sounds like a real live-ringer for Sophie-Lee Johanssen...No fooling, it's simply awesome, stuff, dudes...

3) The Lucid Furs_No God?...No Problem!*

https://thelucidfurs.bandcamp.com/

Slick. I mean, Grace Slick of Jefferson A. would have a fit (of celeritously rampant adulation, what else?!) upon gleaning these wanging D-Troyt fandanglers...Discard the turgid band name, as well as creepily suggestive album cover(s), and what you've got is a slambashing amalgam, or melange, rather of Coven (from Jinx-y daze of yore) and Psychedelic Witchcraft, yet another oh-so-turgid, if not awkwardly bromidic and trite, band moniker notwithstanding...

*(This last, swampy outfit which subtly/slightly borders on the metal side of the spectrum (ho-hum), could possibly pass the mods' super (a)stringent requirements for band submission approval; however, I won't be the one to take the risk as the last thing this chair-burt needs is yet another mordantly searing castigation by Midnight Ryder in that oh-so-ambiguous regards.

p.s. The sardonic as fuck emoj can be slipped in right here, btw.)

My work, for now, is complete. Enjoy!

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:47 am 

Heard a couple of songs off Trust in the Lifeforce of Deep Mystery by The Comet Is Coming and was totally blown away; thing is I really have almost no listening experience with jazz and its many forms, so yeah it just might be that I'm easy to impress as an enthusiastic first-time listener (thank fuck I can still muster enthusiasm for new things). But this just sounds so damn vibrant and alive, groovy and incredibly catchy, and on occasion brooding ("Blood of the Past"), just great. Seems the combo of electronics - seems spacey synths mostly here - and jazz is my thing (first more extensive experience was so called dark jazz there's some amazing works in the style), something I'd never guess say 10 years ago. Gonna get myself the album but yeah, I'm pretty sure it's definitely a worthwhile one in 2019.

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:03 pm 

Red_Death wrote:
Heard a couple of songs off Trust in the Lifeforce of Deep Mystery by The Comet Is Coming and was totally blown away; thing is I really have almost no listening experience with jazz and its many forms, so yeah it just might be that I'm easy to impress as an enthusiastic first-time listener (thank fuck I can still muster enthusiasm for new things). But this just sounds so damn vibrant and alive, groovy and incredibly catchy, and on occasion brooding ("Blood of the Past"), just great. Seems the combo of electronics - seems spacey synths mostly here - and jazz is my thing (first more extensive experience was so called dark jazz there's some amazing works in the style), something I'd never guess say 10 years ago. Gonna get myself the album but yeah, I'm pretty sure it's definitely a worthwhile one in 2019.

I was impressed by that one as well. I've only given it one listen but I'm planning on giving it more. Really catchy stuff like you said.

Other stuff I've liked:

The Claypool Lennon Delirium's South of Reality - Reminds me of the first Pink Floyd album at places. Which I'm not even a big fan of, but this is cool.

The Devil and the Almighty Blues' Tre - I guess this is more rock than metal. It's pretty heavy tho and the vocals are nice and riffs catchy.

Helium Horse Fly's Hollowed - This is really ominous and fucked-up sounding stuff. Some metal moments but mostly experimental rock with creepy female vocals.

Amon Tobin's Fear in a Handful of Dust - Seems like it didn't get a great reception in general but I enjoy it quite a bit. Nothing spectacular but pretty good nonetheless.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:52 am 

i listened to the new crypt trip album for the first time since i saw em live and i realized that its a serious candidate for best hard rock album of the year.
its just such a fun blend of psychedelic, country and plain hard rock. Sort of an american take on classic UFO yet for some reason nothing else really sounds like it. https://crypttrip.bandcamp.com/

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:50 pm 

Billy Woods - Hiding Places
Quite possibly my album of the year so far. It's very gritty and has an experimental edge - especially where the beats are concerned. There's a lot of clever and hard-hitting lyricism, too. That line "no man of the people, wouldn't be caught dead with most of y'all" makes me smile every time.

Bill Callahan - Shepard in a Sheepskin Vest
Easily one of my most anticipated albums for this year. It's really good and he handles having 20 songs on one album like a champ. His lyrics are as insightful and intriguing as ever (and he still can be quite funny at times). Only downside is it doesn't seem to have standout songs quite as jaw-dropping as the highlights of Eagle and Apocalypse.

Defeater - s/t
Thought they were going to further pursue the post-hardcore sound after Abandoned, but they dial it down a bit here. Flawlessly executed hardcore with killer drumming and magnificent production.

Shin Guard - 2020
Very good skramz/hardcore stuff. The poetry reading type thing in that one song is a bit much, but on the whole it's a real scorcher.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:08 pm 

Black Hill (acoustic guitars) and heklAa (piano)
Seriously love these guys and most of the projects they are in. This one is amazing to fall asleep to or just relax and probably end up being sad while listening to it.
Spoiler: show

https://blackhill1.bandcamp.com/album/mother-of-all-trees

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:21 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Billy Woods - Hiding Places
Quite possibly my album of the year so far. It's very gritty and has an experimental edge - especially where the beats are concerned. There's a lot of clever and hard-hitting lyricism, too. That line "no man of the people, wouldn't be caught dead with most of y'all" makes me smile every time.

Agreed. Everyone who hasn't heard this has to listen to it. This some real good shit. Toothy is probably my favorite track (though I'll probably listen to the entire album if I'm listening to it).

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:48 pm 

Not sure if there's any fans of British grime around here but I can't stop listening to slowthai's debut album, Nothing Great About Britain, which dropped last month. I don't listen to a lot of rap anymore, but this is seriously the shit. Hilarious, poignant, and pertinent.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 am 

Some stuff from June I've really enjoyed:

Thom Yorke - Anima
I am a huge, huge Radiohead fan. I've never really gotten into Thom's solo material all that much, but this record is starting to click for me.

Benny The Butcher - The Plugs I Met
Easily my favourite Hip-Hop/Rap album of 2019. Very short, absolutely no filler. The beats and instrumentation are fantastic. His lyrics are razor sharp.

The Hollering Pines - Moments In Between
Warm, well written folk/country. Harmonies are beautiful and instrumentation is tastefully subdued.

Tusks - Avalanche
Didn't connect as much as the last record "Dissolve", but still very interesting. I'd imagine any fans of Bjork or Zola Jesus would be into this.

Chuck Mead - Close To Home
Old style honky-tonk Rock N' Roll. Recalls Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis, with perhaps a bit more country involved at times. Opening and closing tracks are my favourites, and are very nice bookends.

Gucci Mane - Delusions Of Grandeur
Yeah, I'm not even going to try to sell this as actually good. It's just a lot of fun, especially in the summer. Extra points for being a great record to put on before a run or workout.

Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars
Honorary mention for Bruce. He is my all-time (metal included) favourite recording artist, and while this album is one of my least favourites of his career, I am still sucked in by some of it. Somewhere North Of Nashville is one of the greatest songs under 2 minutes I've ever heard. Despite my issues with the production of the record and musical arrangements, Bruce's stories and characters are fascinating as always. The album ends with one of the best songs of his late-career, "Moonlight Motel". Maybe some of these songs will sound better played live with the E Street band if they finally do tour again next year. (a la songs from Nebraska and Tom Joad, even though those records hold up on their own just fine without the power of the band)

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:57 am 

The new album by Heathen Apostles is some fantastic gothic country. My partner asked about possibly seeing them when they come through Indy this month and I responded by binging their entire discography.

https://heathenapostles.bandcamp.com/album/dust-to-dust

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:04 pm 

I really like the Malibu Ken album (Aesop Rock + Tobacco collab). It has this song about Ricky Kasso, the heavy metal fan in the 80s that killed a classmate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzieBpafT2o

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:19 pm 

jimbies wrote:

Easily my favourite Hip-Hop/Rap album of 2019. Very short, absolutely no filler. The beats and instrumentation are fantastic. His lyrics are razor sharp.

Uhhhhh whoa. This rules. Thank you for mentioning it. You're officially on the "heads I can trust on hip hop" list.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:37 pm 

best believe the butcher comin man. jonpo, do you know conway and westside gunn too?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:54 am 

Jonpo wrote:
jimbies wrote:

Uhhhhh whoa. This rules. Thank you for mentioning it. You're officially on the "heads I can trust on hip hop" list.

Glad you enjoy it! It was a random find for me after really liking the album art + a feature from Pusha T

theposega wrote:
best believe the butcher comin man. jonpo, do you know conway and westside gunn too?

I have heard Westside Gunn's newest album once so far. Nothing stuck, BUT i was kind of pre-occupied while listening, so I will re-check soon. Never heard Conway. I'll add it to the list!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:04 am 

Yeah when I saw the cover art and that the first song features Black Thought I knew it was something serious about to occur.

Posega I've never heard either of those guys, but they did come up on Spotify as related artists to Benny. I may get around to checking them eventually. I tend to move at a glacial pace when it comes to checking out new rap music. I'm a rap curmudgeon!

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:32 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Honorary mention for Bruce. He is my all-time (metal included) favourite recording artist, and while this album is one of my least favourites of his career, I am still sucked in by some of it. Somewhere North Of Nashville is one of the greatest songs under 2 minutes I've ever heard. Despite my issues with the production of the record and musical arrangements, Bruce's stories and characters are fascinating as always. The album ends with one of the best songs of his late-career, "Moonlight Motel". Maybe some of these songs will sound better played live with the E Street band if they finally do tour again next year. (a la songs from Nebraska and Tom Joad, even though those records hold up on their own just fine without the power of the band)

I'm not a huge Springsteen fan (very normie, love nebraska and born to run), but I really enjoyed this. It's just such a pleasant listen. I really love the grande climax of the Wayfarer and Bruce's pained voice during the chorus of There Goes My Miracle. I dunno, it's just a really heartfelt and pleasant album.

The new Bedouine "Bird Songs of a Killjoy" is really really great.

Patience by Mannequin Pussy is also really nice if you like that punk mixed with 90s alt rock and emo sort of sound.

Itekoma Hits by Otoboke Beaver is an awesome and fury filled japanese punk album full of great energy.

Seconding the Anima rec, the album is really good, especially the song The Axe.

Can't remember if I mentioned it earlier, but the new Carly Rae Jepsen, Dedicated, is really really top shelf pop. Probably not as good as Emotion, but still just a fun listen all the way through, sure to energize you on those gloomy mornings getting ready for work.

Restating my love for The Comet is Coming's Trust in The Lifeforce of The Deep Mystery. Absolutely incredible jazz fusion type stuff with some noise rock and hip hop elements. Saw these guys live about a month ago, they are fucking incredible.

Finally, Bill Callahan's Shepherd in a Sheepskin Vest is really good. Nice soft singer songwriter type stuff, awesome lyrics.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 pm 

flygod is an awesome god is good, but i definitely need to give it some more listens. feel like some of the beats are a lil out there and some of the flows feel a lil weird as a result. especially that first song with benny on the alchemist beat.

Jonpo wrote:
Posega I've never heard either of those guys, but they did come up on Spotify as related artists to Benny. I may get around to checking them eventually. I tend to move at a glacial pace when it comes to checking out new rap music. I'm a rap curmudgeon!

Westside and Conway are brothers and Benny's cousin and they're all on Griselda Records together. Westside's kinda like Pimp C in that he may not be the most technically gifted rapper but he has so much goddamn sauce that it makes up for it. His very distinct voice helps too. Dude makes Ghostface sound like Rick Ross.

Conway is Conway. There's a reason they call him the Machine. Hard as hell New York bars. Conway's definitive verse and here's all three just murdering everybody

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:46 pm 

Can't stop spinning the new Cave In album.

Last FM

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:22 pm 

@posega: I think I actually might like Conway even more than Benny. They're both gonna be getting crazy spins around my way. This shit is what I live for. Grimy, dripping, rusty razor bars. Amazing.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:07 pm 

fuck yeah, man. griselda is probably my favorite hip-hop collective or whatever at this point tbh. always glad to see people realize how nice they are.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:58 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
jimbies wrote:

I'm not a huge Springsteen fan (very normie, love nebraska and born to run), but I really enjoyed this. It's just such a pleasant listen. I really love the grande climax of the Wayfarer and Bruce's pained voice during the chorus of There Goes My Miracle. I dunno, it's just a really heartfelt and pleasant album.

The new Bedouine "Bird Songs of a Killjoy" is really really great.

Patience by Mannequin Pussy is also really nice if you like that punk mixed with 90s alt rock and emo sort of sound.

Western Stars has grown on me a bit. The two tracks "Somewhere North Of Nashville" and "Moonlight Motel" both break my heart so bad, they are almost hard to listen to, but that's what makes them great.

I've heard the Bedouine, and i think the first song is incredible. Also kind of getting into the Mannequin Pussy record. Really love the track "High Horse".

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:13 am 

Thank you jimbies and posega for putting me up on Griselda gang. I'm smitten beyond words. They keep giving me goose bumps like when I hear Ghost and Rae or an old Nas verse. Westside Gunn is amazing.

I love that they don't really fuck with hooks or any thing catchy. Just ultra grimy beats and then they bar you to death.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:41 pm 

July seemed to be a much slower month for new stuff, but I did find a few gems:

Project Luna - Never Reach The Sun
Ambient/Trip-Hop-ish project, mostly instrumental. It's kind of bogged down at the end by a cheesy "rap". But the first three songs are all great.

Mr.Muthafuckin' eXquire - Self titled
For my pals on this thread that have enjoyed my hip-hop suggestions, I present this as well. Some banger + some great thoughtful lyrics and even some great storytelling on this album.

Lingua Ignota - Caligula
HOLY FUCKING SHIT. What can be said about this? It's just absolutely menacing and a total headfuck. If you like experimental/avant garde check this out. The whole thing is like either an exorcism or a conjuring, I can't decide. I think this is what would happen if you mixed Pharmkon with Scott Walker & Sunn O)))'s Soused. (extra points if you find the Lars Ulrich sample)

Aaron Boyd - Until The End
Folk/Country in the same vein as Jason Isbell or Jackson Browne. Still getting into it, but there are some great sad songs on this.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:55 pm 

I've just ordered the only album I will buy this year which won't be on the archives - the new album by Russian Circles. Doesn't come out until tomorrow but I'm presuming it will be good.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:22 pm 

Conan Troutman wrote:
I've just ordered the only album I will buy this year which won't be on the archives - the new album by Russian Circles. Doesn't come out until tomorrow but I'm presuming it will be good.

Spoiler alert:
It's good.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:01 am 

jimbies wrote:
Conan Troutman wrote:

Spoiler alert:
It's good.

Only had chance to listen to it once but I agree. Very consistent band.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next