Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:31 am 

Can you believe that Carl Jenkinson and Calum Chambers are still there at the club?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:00 am 

Every day at the women's World Cup VAR is stealing the attention away from the football. That penalty decision for France was a joke. The offside against Brazil for Australia was a joke. The worst thing about it, besides the stopping and starting is the complete inconsistency. It's never employed in the middle of the pitch, only ever around the penalty boxes.

Part of the appeal of football is winning, or losing referee errors. It's fun to be the recipient of a dodgy call. It's a great injustice to fall afoul of one. But this is the beauty of football. Most fans enjoy complaining of dubious calls, being cheated out of a result, and gloating when the calls go your way.

VAR takes all of this away. Two World Cup tournaments now, and the employment of VAR has been nothing short of disgraceful. Nobody wants it. It was sold to us as "correcting obvious refereeing decisions". A two inch offside call is not an obvious mistake. If this is what we're all in for, I think I might walk away from the game I've followed passionately for thirty years. Thanks FIFA.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:58 am 

So, Platini got arrested for corruption. Can't say I feel sorry for him.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 am 

The only surprise is that it's taken ten years to catch up with him.

Riffs wrote:

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:23 pm 

We should all boycott the 2022 World Cup. Scotland have already confirmed they plan to do this.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:35 am 

Conan Troutman wrote:
We should all boycott the 2022 World Cup. Scotland have already confirmed they plan to do this.

Got a link to this? I can't find anything about it. Scotland boycotting a tournament they were never likely to qualify for seems a bit moot anyway.

Riffs wrote:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:39 am 

I believe that was the point of the joke...

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:29 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Every day at the women's World Cup VAR is stealing the attention away from the football. That penalty decision for France was a joke. The offside against Brazil for Australia was a joke. The worst thing about it, besides the stopping and starting is the complete inconsistency. It's never employed in the middle of the pitch, only ever around the penalty boxes.

Part of the appeal of football is winning, or losing referee errors. It's fun to be the recipient of a dodgy call. It's a great injustice to fall afoul of one. But this is the beauty of football. Most fans enjoy complaining of dubious calls, being cheated out of a result, and gloating when the calls go your way.

VAR takes all of this away. Two World Cup tournaments now, and the employment of VAR has been nothing short of disgraceful. Nobody wants it. It was sold to us as "correcting obvious refereeing decisions". A two inch offside call is not an obvious mistake. If this is what we're all in for, I think I might walk away from the game I've followed passionately for thirty years. Thanks FIFA.

I think he idea of VAR is a good one but we need to really consider how we will implement it. Right now we are figuring that out and it can be painful, as you've so clearly described.

I've been thinking that instead of having every dodgy situation being reviewed (we do not want this to be the NFL) each coach could have one or two VAR flags they could throw in to have an overview of a decision they weren't happy with. The restriction to one or two flags per team would mean less breaks in the game and condense it to more important reviews than if every situation was to be checked. It would, hopefully, lead to the flags only being thrown in the really important situations (goals, penalties and red cards) and not the random offside or mid-pitch gruff.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:58 am 

InnesI wrote:
I think he idea of VAR is a good one but we need to really consider how we will implement it. Right now we are figuring that out and it can be painful, as you've so clearly described.

I've been thinking that instead of having every dodgy situation being reviewed (we do not want this to be the NFL) each coach could have one or two VAR flags they could throw in to have an overview of a decision they weren't happy with. The restriction to one or two flags per team would mean less breaks in the game and condense it to more important reviews than if every situation was to be checked. It would, hopefully, lead to the flags only being thrown in the really important situations (goals, penalties and red cards) and not the random offside or mid-pitch gruff.

It's copying the rugby league model of replays, and it's fucking horrible watching. I'm not familiar with the NFL mode of replays, but I imagine it's similar to rugby league.

VAR actually improved over the duration of the men's World Cup last year, but instead you had a system where referees ended up not making big calls, knowing that VAR would pick it up. The worst thing the women's World Cup is that so far it's the only talking point (besides America acting like tools over a game that should never have been played at a World Cup finals).

Riffs wrote:

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:23 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
It's copying the rugby league model of replays, and it's fucking horrible watching. I'm not familiar with the NFL mode of replays, but I imagine it's similar to rugby league.

I can't imagine any sport being the same or worse than American Football. Since there is a natural stop in active play at least every 10 seconds, often less than that, they can review every single thing that is in doubt. I like the game (got into it a couple of years ago) but the VAR stuff and the constant commercials can really get to you (though I recommend watching it on YouTube where the advertisements are taken away/can be avoided).

Quote:
VAR actually improved over the duration of the men's World Cup last year, but instead you had a system where referees ended up not making big calls, knowing that VAR would pick it up.

Yeah, but we'll have to give it a few seasons to make sure there is a good balance.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:55 pm 

InnesI wrote:
I think he idea of VAR is a good one but we need to really consider how weI've been thinking that instead of having every dodgy situation being reviewed (we do not want this to be the NFL) each coach could have one or two VAR flags they could throw in to have an overview of a decision they weren't happy with. The restriction to one or two flags per team would mean less breaks in the game and condense it to more important reviews than if every situation was to be checked. It would, hopefully, lead to the flags only being thrown in the really important situations (goals, penalties and red cards) and not the random offside or mid-pitch gruff.

Sounds like you’d enjoy the NHL’s video review challenge rules. You only get one, which can only be applied to an offside or goaltender interference when a goal is scored on the play in question. And if you lose the challenge, you don’t just lose the challenge - your team plays down one player for the next two minutes. Now that still hasn’t resulted in the elimination of piddly-assed crap getting reviewed and wasting evwryone’s time/killing the momentum of the game; but it’s helped.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:49 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Sounds like you’d enjoy the NHL’s video review challenge rules. You only get one, which can only be applied to an offside or goaltender interference when a goal is scored on the play in question. And if you lose the challenge, you don’t just lose the challenge - your team plays down one player for the next two minutes. Now that still hasn’t resulted in the elimination of piddly-assed crap getting reviewed and wasting evwryone’s time/killing the momentum of the game; but it’s helped.

Sounds like an interesting idea!
Ad hominem

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:50 am 

droneriot wrote:
I think the Premier League is on the same level as the other major European leagues (sports-wise, not in terms of money), but the Championship is well above every other major European second division. Only the very biggest 2. Bundesliga teams - mostly traditional Bundesliga teams that were relegated for a shit season and come right back up - can dream of crowds exceeding 14,000.

And if there was a European tournament of second division teams, I think English teams would dominate. Think Barnsley FC could handle VfL Bochum (our current 11th in the second division) with ease.

(We do have the internationally famous FC St. Pauli in the second division, at least. In last place.)

Two and a half years after this was posted we will finally get the chance to see if Barnsley can handle VfL Bochum as we play them in a friendly next month! We're also playing Arminia Bielefeld who I believe finished seventh in Bundesliga 2 last season. I think we will lose both games.

We have a German manager now who has been fantastic for us - Daniel Stendel who was a striker for Hannover. Unfortunately we now seem to be signing Hannover's cast offs so not sure how this will work for us next season.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:41 pm 

The Championship does have a pretty good track record of German managers signing Bundesliga cast-offs being promoted to the Premier League. First Huddersfield, then Norwich, and maybe you're next.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:52 am 

droneriot wrote:
The Championship does have a pretty good track record of German managers signing Bundesliga cast-offs being promoted to the Premier League. First Huddersfield, then Norwich, and maybe you're next.

This is true, but I'm not sure if we're signing the same quality players. We've just signed a keeper who played most of his career in the Regionalliga and I'm not sure what the standard is like at that level. Apparently his wife is a soap star though so should be good for insta and twitter and all that meaningless crap.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:41 am 

I've been following the women's world cup to and from and I am glad to see massive improvements in the quality of the games. Not so much early on but as soon as the worst teams were out thing have been looking pretty good. The long debate on women's football getting more money has often been about quick fixes without grounding it. In reality I think it is the quality of the game that is the most crucial aspect and that certainly doesn't come overnight. It is a gradual, and slow progression. It has to be. I'm glad to say women's football are on the right path - at least on a national team basis.
Ad hominem

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:55 am 

Seriously fuck that shit. Olympic games, Wimbledon, anything, they don't have that shit about having the women's version in a different year. Wanna whine about people not appreciating women's football? Yeah obviously because FIFA gives it that shit treatment. The women's world cup should have been in Russia in 2018, next women's world cup should be in Qatar in 2022, not this shit fuck shit keeping them as separate as possible in different years in different locations. Fuck that. Woman's world cup should be same location, same year as men's world cup, like in every other sport. FIFA is fucking it in the ass and then blaming toxic masculinity or whatever for how shit they themselves are for separating it as if women's football and men's football are two entirely different sports. Fuck FIFA.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:05 pm 

droneriot, I see nothing wrong with having men’s and women’s World Cups in different years. That way, pretty much every year has its own major tournament that can absorb all the spotlight: 2017 Women’s Euros, 2018 Men’s World Cup, 2019 Women’s World Cup and so on. (Yes the CONCACAF Gold Cup coincides with the women’s WC, but you can’t get a perfect spread I guess.)
Bunching everything together would run the risk of event-fatigue and hurt attendance. Who could afford to attend their country’s games at both men’s and women’s tournaments in such rapid succession?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:42 pm 

Lots of people. Tickets are always sold out in an absurdly short time and a lot of times you have people travelling all across the world just to see one single game because they couldn't get a ticket for anything else. Lots of people would jump at the opportunity to snag up some extra one or two tickets for a women's game just so they can have a decent amount of football in their football vacation. Has the added bonus that the players finally experience playing all their games in sold out stadiums because people travel from all over the world to see football and they'll get tickets for every game they can get tickets for.

World cups aren't some small time local event, they're like Wacken on steroids, people save up the entire four years leading up to them to travel across the planet just to be there.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:32 am 

On topic of the crowds the arenas have been filled up nicely. Haven't heard if they have sold all tickets or if there's big hand outs but it has looked really good. However in the Sweden vs England game yesterday attendance was WAY down. It can't even have been half full. Wonder why that is. A match for third place should attract more people than group stage matches or quarter finals one would think. Especially considering both teams countries being in close proximity of where the game was played.
Ad hominem

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:01 pm 

The seats behind the goals, around the corners, and the upper deck were full. The better seats in the middle of the lower bowl (i.e. the more expensive ones) were mostly empty.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:45 am 

womens football lags behind in terms of professionalism compared with quite a few other sports. The netherlands became 2nd despite having a league thats not even on the level of mens back when they started with their first pro league. There is a lot space left to grow but already i find many games p enjoyable. The lack of super trained ultra athletes gives it something more human.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:58 pm 

CONCACAF first stated that they’d “refuse to sanction” Ottawa Fury continuing to play in the United States League after the Canadian Premier League sprang up this year - essentially forcing the Fury to join the new, unproven league. At the time, I supported Fury’s choice to remain in the USL, largely because I reflexively oppose ham-fistedness in sports governance; and their ruling was overturned on appeal anyway.
But now, since I’ve seen how well the CPL’s initial teams have been received in comparison, I’d like to see Fury change their mind. Nearly half of the USL’s teams average less attendance per game than the lowest-attended CPL team. Come on Fury, you belong in the Canadian League, despite the easier travel schedule in the USL Eastern Conference!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:53 pm 

Calgary Cavalry of the CPL knocked off the MLS’ Vancouver Whitecaps from the Voyageur Cup (Canadian Championship) this week! Serves notice that the new Canadian Premier League is a serious league, which I hope thrives and expands.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:42 am 

This is probably Liverpool's worst preseason that I can remember. Wins over Tranmere Rovers and Bradford City, losses to Dortmund, Sevilla and Napoli, and struggling to a draw against Sporting Lisbon. The internet is kicking up a collective panic because apparently Jurgen Klopp has no idea what he's doing, and that he should be purchasing new players, etc etc. While Liverpool did start with a front three of Origi, Oxlade-Chamberlain (not a winger) and Gini Wijnaldum (hasn't played on the wing in 4 years) they also have players like Brewster (who probably should have started against Napoli) as well as Shaqiri (who has only has only just returned from his break alongside Allison, Salah and Firmino). Mane is still on his holiday until after the Community Shield kick off next weekend.

Preseasons are ultimately meaningless. At best, they give a vague indication of strength in depth, and at worst, they tell you the greater sum of fuck all. Liverpool kick off the EPL season against Norwich at home, which is as about as kind an opening fixture as Liverpool could hope for. If Liverpool turn up and perform the same wretched football against Norwich as they have done this preseason, the Premier League could be over by the end of August, and you may as well hand Man City the title then.

However, Klopp's proven that he knows what he's doing. And until the those 4 key players return from their holiday, it's very difficult to read anything meaningful into the preseason results, with perhaps the exception of the first team actually being far better than the squad players, again not exactly a secret.

Riffs wrote:

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:45 am 

Terri23 wrote:
This is probably Liverpool's worst preseason that I can remember. Wins over Tranmere Rovers and Bradford City, losses to Dortmund, Sevilla and Napoli, and struggling to a draw against ....Sporting Lisbon.

It's Sporting Clube de Portugal, not Sporting Lisbon! ;) :p

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:51 pm 

Well, the English Football League (the one for proper supporters) kicks off this Friday. It's been far too long. My team kick off against Fulham and I fear a 4-0 drubbing, which will see us occupy bottom place where we will stay for the duration of the season. I've missed it.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:01 am 

Unity wrote:
It's Sporting Clube de Portugal, not Sporting Lisbon! ;) :p

I could have been very cynical and simply refer to it as FC Gestifute!

Riffs wrote:

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:10 pm 

What are you talking about, dude?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:22 am 

BVB won the Supercup! :D

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:34 pm 

Jerome Boateng charged with aggravated assault against his ex-partner, Christoph Metzelder under investigation for possession of child pornography.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:11 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:25 am 

Funny to say considering Paco, Sancho & Reus just beat Leverkusen 4-0 pretty much all by themselves because the rest of Dortmund put up a really weak performance.

Though - even better - one single RB Leipzig player called Nordi Mukiele managed to steal a point from Bayern Munich with the rest of his team not participating.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:12 am 

Vitória Sport Clube has Mia Khalifa's support against Arsenal:

Talk about a great opportunity when it comes to promoting your club globally.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:22 am 

They have good chances. After the "buffalo herd" striker trio left for Real Madrid, West Ham United and AC Milan, Frankfurt has been sucking ass so far this season. And Arsenal of course has been sucking ass for decades. Liege I have no idea.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:59 pm 

One point and two goals in three games for the Premier League so far, six points and eight goals in two games for Red Bull.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:46 am 

So far it looks like next year's Champions League could be much more interesting with so many of the big teams in England and Spain showing a horrible early season.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:11 pm 

droneriot wrote:
So far it looks like next year's Champions League could be much more interesting with so many of the big teams in England and Spain showing a horrible early season.

Man City had a freak result against Norwich but I would make them favourites at the minute. Spurs seem to be on a downward spiral and I can see them not getting out of the group.

Last edited by Conan Troutman on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:31 am 

Olympiakos is the team that could challenge Tottenham for second place (2-2 between us, Tottenham was winning 0-2!) but I must say I'd prefer the third place and playing in the Europa League. We have a good team finally after some horrible years and the first year that the squad has the same key players as last year (we have been selling a lot the past years and our team has suffered for it in the field). I think we could potentially go a long way in the Europa League. Of course we are missing Fortounis (one of the best in Greece), our MVP from last year...

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:27 pm 

Awesome Southampton!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next