Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:47 am 

Goddamn I want to hear the new Mirror album after reading that review of their latest one.

Obligatory Last FM Link

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:51 pm 

Sounds like the Dalai Lama is starting to lose his marbles. Check out this incoherent ramble about preferring that his successor, if female, should be pretty:
“If female Dalai Lama comes, then she should be more attractive," he said. "If female Dalai Lama, oh, oh... that people, I think prefer, not see her, that face." :???:
But there is still some other stuff in the interview that makes some sense, see for yourselves:
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/world/ ... 5.amp.html
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:17 am 

the guy that gave Onward To Golgotha a 0% deserves to get shot twice for hurting my feelings

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:07 am 

Just found this song again after not hearing it for a couple of years. It's very relaxing.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:04 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Sounds like the Dalai Lama is starting to lose his marbles. Check out this incoherent ramble about preferring that his successor, if female, should be pretty:
“If female Dalai Lama comes, then she should be more attractive," he said. "If female Dalai Lama, oh, oh... that people, I think prefer, not see her, that face." :???:
But there is still some other stuff in the interview that makes some sense, see for yourselves:

He’s always been a little bit kooky and unusual, but that thing about a beautiful Dalai Lama seems a bit out character. However, it might be a lame joke, since he’s also made some in the past. I remember watching a documentary where someone told him the “Buddhist monk asks for a pizza”joke, and he smiled when he heard the punchline “make me one with everything”.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:43 am 

severzhavnost wrote:

His English isn't really good, so I kinda imagine by "attractive" he meant "more attractive than he is". That's how I interpreted it. Still not big on his negative views on cultural pluralism though.

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:52 pm 

And of course some complete asshole decides it's completely okay to set off fireworks at 11 PM on a Sunday night and wake up the entire neighborhood. Fuck these people, seriously.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:41 pm 

At least they are not shooting. There were three shootings here in Stockholm last night, two dead.

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:55 pm 

Found this "metal review" site recently. It's hilarious, they claim that Bathory ripped off Burzum and founded nu-metal, Dissection is blackened Avenged Sevenfold, Summoning is blackened metalcore, etc. Obviously a troll site, but it's still hilarious.

Also, this was already posted, but powermetalsucks.com. An extreme case of a hard rock fan, probably not a troll.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:02 pm 

Oooh, that looks like it's by the same guy who did The Satan Records/thesatan.com! (Phantom is one of his fake bands, he made a bunch of "black metal" that's just super-distorted midi).

Never quite figured out whether these are trolling/taking the piss or done seriously by someone completely missing the point. (If it's the former, the amount of time he's wasted on it kind of puts him into "joke's back on you" category...)

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:14 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Oooh, that looks like it's by the same guy who did The Satan Records/thesatan.com! (Phantom is one of his fake bands, he made a bunch of "black metal" that's just super-distorted midi).

Never quite figured out whether these are trolling/taking the piss or done seriously by someone completely missing the point. (If it's the former, the amount of time he's wasted on it kind of puts him into "joke's back on you" category...)

Yeah, he puts those crap videos all over his site.

The reviews are supposedly from multiple users, but you can easily see it's one person writing them.

I believe he's also behind this blog, which claims that all black metal is NSBM. Even Alcest and Summoning!

Even if he's a troll, he gave me a good laugh.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 pm 

Diplomate wrote:
I believe he's also behind this blog, which claims that all black metal is NSBM. Even Alcest and Summoning!

He even included his own fake band Sewer there. :lol: I remember he also had a few self-published "black metal history" books on amazon back when black metal documentaries were the main topic of discussion. If there were ads on his pages it'd actually make sense that he's just trying to hype stuff up for the revenue, but the fact that he doesn't even seem to be making money off this (other than the six people who bought his vanity books) just reinforces the idea that he's pointlessly obsessed with what amounts to a minor joke. You ain't Kauffman, brosef.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:40 pm 

Let's take this song out of context today!

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:49 pm 

Recently I've enjoying bands like Moonsorrow and Falkenbach, so I decided to check out the roots of this greatness and finally listen to viking era Bathory. The riffs are nice, but the vocals...Are metalheads deaf or something? I mean, I am no music expert, but he's not hitting the notes.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:52 pm 

Every metalhead worth their salt considers Quorthon to be the best worst singer of all time.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:24 pm 

Gonna do this again. 5x5 of the week!

Spoiler: show

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:07 am 

Ariel the little mermaid introducing the future most disliked video on Youtube:

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:11 am 

uh, ok, internet.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:27 pm 

Well, I can officially say that's more unexpected than the Blind Guardian rap remix.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:49 pm 

Outerspace are so underrated! And Reef even more so. His debut was killer. Also his group with Chief Kamachi called Juju Mob.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:51 am 

Battlehymn!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:50 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Well, I can officially say that's more unexpected than the Blind Guardian rap remix.

What the fuck is this?

...And why the fuck is it good?!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:52 pm 

All rap is bad, and I thought rap in German was the worst, but I think Finland has them beat.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:47 pm 

All music is bad

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:50 pm 

Sometimes I see weird shit on the front page.

Those three bands were added by three different users.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:53 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
Sometimes I see weird shit on the front page.

Those three bands were added by three different users.

Not just me going crazy then. That's good to know.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:21 pm 

Interlinked. Within bands interlinked. Within bands interlinked. Within bands interlinked.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:13 am 

Who else RSVP’d to Naruto run & see them aliens September 20th?

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:46 pm 

My mom bought a house in Idaho. My son and I helped her load up a bunch of her stuff yesterday. Under a heat advisory. With obscene humidity.

At the end of the day, she gave us two guns. One was an inheritance my boy was going to get one day anyway: A German Luger pistol that my grandfather brought back from WWII. The other she gave me is a Bersa Thunder 380 pistol. I'm armed to the... fists. I need to find a way to house and care for that Luger.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:52 pm 

Moving during the summer sucks. 3 years ago my wife and I moved into our last apartment, on the third floor of an old building in Chicago in mid-80s heat. There was window AC, which meant it was pretty much useless outside the room the unit was in.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:35 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
My mom bought a house in Idaho. My son and I helped her load up a bunch of her stuff yesterday. Under a heat advisory. With obscene humidity.

At the end of the day, she gave us two guns. One was an inheritance my boy was going to get one day anyway: A German Luger pistol that my grandfather brought back from WWII. The other she gave me is a Bersa Thunder 380 pistol. I'm armed to the... fists. I need to find a way to house and care for that Luger.

Wow, super cool! That's really special. Where in Idaho? I live up north in the Coeur d'Alene area which is quite nice.

My wife and I are in the process of buying our first home which is pretty dang exciting. It's a bit of a fixer-upper, but in a nice neighborhood with a big park that'll be great for our daughter to play at. We're pretty thrilled but a bit overwhelmed with it all.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:32 am 

Kerrick wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Wow, super cool! That's really special. Where in Idaho? I live up north in the Coeur d'Alene area which is quite nice.

My wife and I are in the process of buying our first home which is pretty dang exciting. It's a bit of a fixer-upper, but in a nice neighborhood with a big park that'll be great for our daughter to play at. We're pretty thrilled but a bit overwhelmed with it all.

Pretty sure we drove through Coeur d'Alene on our trip. She's moving into Kamiah, and I'm pretty sure her house was previously owned by paranoid anti-government kooks. They had it wired for nearly a dozen cameras and it overlooks the road leading up to the house--y'know, to see those government vehicles comin' to getcha. The house needs quite a bit of work, but looks nice for the most part.

Good luck on your home purchase. I bought a place last summer, and it could be grueling at times.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:48 pm 

^Right on. Yeah that kind of anti-government culture is pretty strong up here. I think it stems from a very individualistic and independent spirit here: just about everyone I know owns their own businesses instead of working "for the man," etc. I appreciate that and would definitely take that over the other extreme (hence moving here from California haha!).

Thanks! This place is going to require a LOT of work for sure, though thankfully the "bones" of the house are all good. We'll need to finish the kitchen remodel that the sellers are midway through, paint the entire inside, redo all the floors, etc. I'm excited to get to make it really our own though and it'll be very rewarding work too.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:38 pm 

No matter how long I live inside the Beltway I will never get used to much less enjoy our 100F°/40C° summers. Any dress codes that require long pants should be banned here between April and October unless you're military or work with diplomats.

bobbytanqueray
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:13 am 

This may be a long shot, but does anyone know what the lyrics to "Misfit" by Fates Warning are based on? I swear they used to have this information on their website, but I guess they got rid of when they redesigned in (or maybe I'm just crazy).

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:50 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
No matter how long I live inside the Beltway I will never get used to much less enjoy our 100F°/40C° summers. Any dress codes that require long pants should be banned here between April and October unless you're military or work with diplomats.

Good lord, fuck that noise. Hasn't gotten quite that hot here but been hitting the upper 80s with super high humidity and the 90-100 degree days are around the corner. Walking to work in long pants and a dress shirt means I'm usually soaked through by the time I get there, and hope sitting still in the A/C for an hour before my first class is enough to dry me out.

Weird fact: apparently some sort of YouTube algorithm glitch was responsible for that Ningen-Isu video popping up in everyone's recommended videos lists. The band just recently put out an English-language video (probably prompted by all the English comments) thanking everyone for the support. Lucky shit for them! I've also started to fall down the rabbit hole for this band, who I've always avoided just because their huge discography is so daunting, but fuck, these guys can riff like fucking crazy.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:18 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:

Good lord, fuck that noise. Hasn't gotten quite that hot here but been hitting the upper 80s with super high humidity and the 90-100 degree days are around the corner. Walking to work in long pants and a dress shirt means I'm usually soaked through by the time I get there, and hope sitting still in the A/C for an hour before my first class is enough to dry me out.

You wouldn't think a place as far north as Pennsylvania would have excruciating summers, but we do. Regularly hits 95+ degrees with 90%+ humidity. Shit is fucking insufferable, makes me physically ill the instant I step outside.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:33 pm 

Heat index is supposed to hit 104 today. My fiance is working a patio shift...so stupid.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:38 pm 

Heat wave in the mid-90s in wisconsin this week, though thankfully we don't get that too consistently. Instead, we also get winters with 6-foot snowdrifts and -30 windchills!

...Granted, it does feel stupid to complain about that on a forum with a strong Canadian presence.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:48 pm 

Summers in Australia, especially if you're living away from the coast, regularly hit 40C, but for some parts of the US and Europe, that are hitting record heat levels, what you're experiencing sounds downright awful. Hopefully everyone remains safe and drinks a lot of water.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218 ... 332  Next