Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 pm 

Watched the new season of Black Mirror a couple nights ago, and while they weren't as good as, well, any of the previous seasons, I though they were fine enough. The new episodes didn't have the high points as some of the other seasons, but there wasn't anything inherently bad about them either. To me, they seemed to play it a bit safer this season. The second episode, Smithereens, is my favourite of the three.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:37 pm 

So acid_bukkake really needs to hurry up and watch the new season of Slasher. This is the most socially-charged horror shit I've seen since The Purge movies.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:00 pm 

So Nickelodeon rebooted All That again, and the premiere aired last night. They put the full episode up on YouTube, and I gave it a watch. I tried to go into it as open minded as possible, as All That was one of my favorite shows growing up, and a whole bunch of original cast and crew members are part of the production team for this new version of the show.

Yeah, none of that mattered. The All That reboot was easily one of the absolute worst TV show episodes I have ever seen in my entire life. Imagine a YouTube cringe compilation of something like Minecon or any other pre-teen centric convention or event. That’s basically what this new All That is: A half hour cringe compilation filled with stupid teenager humor, way too much yelling, and writing so bad that not even the original cast members they brought in for this could salvage (it takes a special lack of writing ability to make a Vital Information segment unfunny, and even less to make a Good Burger skit bad).

The new cast members are painfully bad at the things you need to be good on a sketch comedy show, particularly one as famously irreverent as All That, namely comedic timing, facial expressions, and believability in the absurd situations surrounding them. It’s as if they were selected based on the ability to attract clicks via a YouTube thumbnail, rather than ability to be on an allegedly funny TV show. I chuckled at maybe two things in this show, both of them involving Kel Mitchell and Lori Beth Denberg, and all that did was make me want to track down original run episodes of All That and watch those instead.

The fun of the original All That was that the sketches would take a simple idea and twist it in incredibly goofy, unforeseen ways (a lunch lady that gets violently passionate about peas; a librarian that enforces a no talking policy through screaming at people and destroying stuff; a fast food restaurant counter manned by the stupidest person ever). None of the new All That skits had even a hint of that unpredictable ridiculousness. Everything was telegraphed from a mile away, and if it was a deliberately more straightforward sketch, then the one joke of the segment was beaten into ground and continued for far too long to the point of boredom. It’s incredible to me that the person mainly behind this new All That was the co-creator of the original (the one that isn’t know child foot fetishist Dan Schneider), because this new version of the show feels absolutely nothing like the original, merely being a poor man’s copycat with none of the charm, spirit, or genuine laughs as the one from the 90s.

To be blunt, All That 2019 was an insufferably bad, cringeworthy, unwatchable mess of a show, and I really do hope that it fails sooner rather than later, if for nothing more than to let the original show stay dead with some integrity still attached to its name.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:04 pm 

Man, Nickelodeon's live-action comedies of the late 90s were the jam, especially All That. I always got a kick out of Repairman(-man-man-man-man) and Learning French with Pierre S. Cargot.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:46 pm 

There was a skit on the new All That very much in the vein of both Pierre S. Cargo and Ask Ashley. It was called "Cancelled with Nathan". A boy sits in a hot tub fully clothed, ranting about things that he believes should be cancelled from public use. Cringe at it for yourself:

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:34 am 

Subrick wrote:
There was a skit on the new All That very much in the vein of both Pierre S. Cargo and Ask Ashley. It was called "Cancelled with Nathan". A boy sits in a hot tub fully clothed, ranting about things that he believes should be cancelled from public use. Cringe at it for yourself:

Eugh. Even worse, that second skit, where the closeted psychopath destroys the other girl's stuff, could have been funny. But it wasn't. The timing needed to be MUCH snappier, the destructive rage more unhinged, the calm phase more sickly sweet and unnerving--it's the kind of thing Amanda Bynes (at the time, a literal 10-year-old) did masterfully in the Ask Ashley skits, but this 14-year-old girl can't do to save her life. Also, TNT? Really? Not gonna rip the sundress apart like a wolverine on PCP while growling like a, well, wolverine on PCP? Juxtaposing the respectable suburban teenage exterior with primal rage? Then comically going back into the calm phase while draped in strips of tattered dress? Because that would've been funny--an obviously phony TNT explosion was not.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:09 am 

eh I'm pretty sure none of that was ever going to be funny.

Started watching Killing Eve, it's an interesting show...I wasn't sure what it was going for at first, is it a black comedy? Drama? Seems like something in between. It's definitely got a unique tone.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:33 pm 

Cosmo just RULES. Watching Guardians of the Galaxy the animated series I know exactly which character I want more prominent in the MCU.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:30 am 

Haven't started it yet, but why is Falling Skies considered to be so bad?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:29 am 

Take all the problems of the Walking Dead, replace the great cast with a bunch of mediocrity, and dumb the SFX down to direct-to-Syfy movies.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:57 am 

Still sounds like a net improvement on the whole because aliens > technology > ninjas >> pirates >>>>>>> motherfucking zombies

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:23 pm 

Your mileage may vary, but it was the worst alien invasion show I'd seen until Colony came along to drop the bar even lower.

darkeningday wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:41 pm 

You obviously haven't seen the remake of V or Earth: Final Conflict :P.

And I actually watched the first season of Colony with my dad a couple weeks ago. The pilot was lame and boring, but the first season itself was absolutely rock solid. I can't imagine thinking it was the worst of anything.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:47 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Take all the problems of the Walking Dead, replace the great cast with a bunch of mediocrity, and dumb the SFX down to direct-to-Syfy movies.

Alex Kurtzman will sue you for plagiarism for this post.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:22 am 

Regardless what you think of the writing, the SFX in Discovery is absolutely top-of-the-line, easily neck-and-neck with Altered Carbon and The Expanse, often surpassing both.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:45 pm 

Finished Discovery season 2 last night. I was generally far more engaged with this season than the first. Far more interesting storytelling. However one issue I had with it was
Spoiler: show
The total silliness of the final battle. Why were there millions of little fighters flying around everywhere? Is this Star Wars? They definitely could have done a better job with how this battle unfolded.

Also, while the future of the show (heh) seems somewhat compelling, I do have some concerns:
Spock and Pike were both pretty fucking great additions to the show. Taking them out of the equation is going to be a big loss, so hopefully their shoes are filled with new cast additions that are just as interesting and commanding on screen.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:23 pm 

Has anyone watched The Terror? I was recommended it and it looks pretty good.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 pm 

Finished Colony; I'm going to give it a moderate-to-strong recommendation, and overall I think it's one of the best Sci-fi series this decade. A few notes:

• I've said before I've never seen a truly great alien invasion TV show, and that still holds true but not for the reason you'd think; the fact is, Colony isn't about an alien invasion at all, both in its themes and, surprisingly, its plot. Rather, the series is a rumination on rigid governmental hierarchies and the significant shortcomings--as well as the substantive benefits of autocracy. It's no coincidence the iconography of the occupying force bears a striking resemblance to the USSR's; strip away the sci-fi window dressing and you've basically got Stalin's Russia. What's shocking is that it isn't purely negative towards this at all, as you come to realize all of the horrific human rights violations and smothering of individual rights may simply be necessary for the continued survival of the human race.

• Despite the premature cancellation, the vast majority of the Big Questions are answered in the show's third and final season, which is also its most outwardly sci-fi season as well.

• Acting across the board is stellar, although it took me a while to get used to the Lost dude. I don't think he's actually bad, he's just got a weird and off-putting acting style.

• The series is unrelentingly bleak, often to its detriment. It's very rarely a "fun" show, and sadly sometimes this aggressive moroseness translates to boredom. This is especially true for the first few episodes, where some of the goings on can be downright dull.

• If you like moral greyness, hot damn is this the show for you! Virtually every single choice that's made by its human characters is done out of a genuine desire to improve the material conditions of humanity, and when those choices clash (which is often), you'll be scratching your head on which side to root for.

• Colony is a political/espionage drama first, a sci-fi actioner second. Although it definitely ratchets up the sci-fi in its second half by quite a bit.

• Production values are fantastic, especially later on. Definitely competitive with your Expanses or your Altered Carbons, though I wouldn't say it ever surpasses them.

• On that note, no, Colony is not better than The Expanse. I mean, duh.

Don't miss this unique and fascinating sci-fi series.

Last edited by darkeningday on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:27 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
Has anyone watched The Terror? I was recommended it and it looks pretty good.

It's excellent.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:11 pm 

:nods:

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:38 pm 

Cool, I'll check it out! I just looked and Netflix doesn't have it. Where did y'all see it?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:49 pm 

The book the show is based on is amazing, but I haven't even watched the show yet.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:22 am 

The Terror was the best show I watched last year, absolutely amazing. I just got it on bluray from my local library.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:38 am 

+1 for The Terror and on that note, having in mind Chernobyl and The Expanse, I need to look into anything featuring Jared Harris...

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:20 am 

So Falling Skies is a Roland Emmerich movie made by The Hallmark Channel. I haven't seen much of Under the Dome, but if the characters in that are even half as dumb as in this, I gotta check that shit out. The show takes the generic, long beaten to death premise of "humanity is all but defeated by the insurmountable odds of a technologically advanced alien race, but a ragtag group of military grunts and civilians will fight to the last to retake the planet in a post-apocalyptic wasteland" ... and then turns it into a primetime family show, complete with a sappy wannabe James Horner score played on crappy synths and, oh yeah, frequent comic relief! At one point a woman implies she was repeatedly raped by the biker gang she travelled with and that she frequently contemplated suicide afterwards and later the murder of her attackers; and then a main character we're supposed to like says "Haha, well hopefully you'll finally learn how to shoot straight after I'm done with ya." Then a little ditty plays implying it was funny, cute line.

The show is so thematically incoherent, so poorly defined in its characters who spout nothing but high school play monologues and Hulk Hogan one-liners, such sanitized violence which wouldn't crack a PG rating... yet with some shockingly interestingly designed practical/animatronic/prosthesis effects and impressive CGI that holds up to this day. It also moves pretty quickly which is a godsend for characters and a plot this garbage, and the unintentionally bad, er, everything except VFX hasn't lost its charm on me yet. I'll probably keep going, but if it gets just a little bit crappier or (even worse) a little bit better, I'll drop it like a stone.

Can't believe this expensive ass show lasted 5 seasons. Either TNT viewers are a lot dumber or a lot more hipster than I thought they were.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:50 am 

TNT originals have almost always sucked. Turner networks have a real problem with original programming, and Jamie Kellner's run as Prez did them no favors by cancelling the only real ratings draw they had (WCW) to replace it with CW reruns.

On a more positive note, Netflix original Trinkets isn't half bad. It fluctuates between solid character study and generic teen drama too often, sure, but Briana Hildebrand brings it and gets better with each new project. It's great to see her finally play against type and not be the sarcastic wallflower, here playing a vulnerable and naive "ugly duckling" starting to bloom.

darkeningday wrote:

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:58 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The Terror was the best show I watched last year, absolutely amazing. I just got it on bluray from my local library.

Sweet I'll see if our library has it too. Thanks!

EDIT: the local library indeed has it on DVD though it's currently checked out. I'll have to get next in line.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:55 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
TNT originals have almost always sucked. Turner networks have a real problem with original programming, and Jamie Kellner's run as Prez did them no favors by cancelling the only real ratings draw they had (WCW) to replace it with CW reruns.

What's jaw-dropping is people seem to regard the first 3 seasons as good-to-great and that only in the last two seasons did it get bad. Which sounds like the kind of freakshow I've gotta see.

Quote:
On a more positive note, Netflix original Trinkets isn't half bad. It fluctuates between solid character study and generic teen drama too often, sure, but Briana Hildebrand brings it and gets better with each new project. It's great to see her finally play against type and not be the sarcastic wallflower, here playing a vulnerable and naive "ugly duckling" starting to bloom.

Still gotta watch Slasher: Solstice, bruddah.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:01 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
TNT originals have almost always sucked. Turner networks have a real problem with original programming,

Cartoon Network is a Turner channel, and if you have a problem with the original Cartoon Cartoon line-up, you have a problem with life itself.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:22 pm 

I'm trusting you about Colony, DD. You better not be wrong!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm 

I have heard good things about The Alienist, which is apparently a TNT original. Been on my Netflix list for a while now.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:39 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I'm trusting you about Colony, DD. You better not be wrong!

Lol, I'm watching The 100 next. YOU better not be wrong!

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:34 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Still gotta watch Slasher: Solstice, bruddah.

Started it last night. Your Purge comparison feels appropriate. I'm digging it.
Zelkiiro wrote:
Cartoon Network is a Turner channel, and if you have a problem with the original Cartoon Cartoon line-up, you have a problem with life itself.

Original as in mid 90s (Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff, etc.) or original as in any show CN produced? Either way, Cartoon Network has been largely free of the Turner original curse.

darkeningday wrote:

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:28 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

Original as in mid 90s (Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff, etc.) or original as in any show CN produced? Either way, Cartoon Network has been largely free of the Turner original curse.

The 1996-2002 stuff, of course. Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Cow & Chicken, Ed Edd & Eddy, Johnny Bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Whatever Happened to Robot Jones were top-tier cartoons.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:15 pm 

Regular Show and Adventure Time are better, though, soooo...

darkeningday wrote:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:53 pm 

If you want to make a lot of money on Youtube reviewing Star Trek Discovery and stuff, I developed the ultimate guide based on other channels I've seen:

WilliG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:43 pm 

Designated Survivor S3.

I really do like this show, it's West Wing lite mixed with some kind of Homeland Lite.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:14 am 

Two episodes into The Terror. It's on HULU. It's all extremely well produced and acted, but the writing seems way too on the nose and simplistic so far. Is this really where it's going?

Anxieties are running high in the increasingly hostile and claustrophobic deep freeze, and reality will begin to blend with the supernatural where they (and indeed we) are gaslit into not knowing whether they're simply growing delirious or if a mysterious eskimo lady laid a curse on them for killing and then giving an improper burial for an Important Eskimo (who may be her father). Tensions will grow higher as rations and willpower grow scarcer, and by the end there'll be a mountain of dead bodies and we'll be left wondering if it's really the supernatural forces we see on screen that caused this or if that was just the hallucinations of the increasingly deranged crew.

The line that went something like "your closest allies will become your greatest obstacles/foes/enemies" obviously due to the creeping onset of madness spurred by the implacable cold, isolation from the rest of society and the long-term proximity of a bunch of hypermasculine dudes was a giant red flag for me. It was revolutionary when Joseph Conrad did it, not so much anymore.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:01 pm 

Finally finished True Detective S3. Final thoughts:

I really dug this. It was sort of like an inversion of the first season of the show. In that season we got a horrific crime, which turned out to be just the tip of the iceberg to true terror. The protagonists eventually took on the roles of classic hero cops after a bunch of shady shit to save the day. However, apart from the mystery of the crime itself, there was also the weird fiction/cosmic horror elements that crept in and made you wonder whether there were supernatural things at play.

This time around, that wasn't there, but instead the bonus mystery was whether or not there was even a crime at all. The way they introduced the S1 pedophilia ring elements into the story, and how the story wrapped up in a "satisfactory" way with a happy ending, made me really think that Wayne Hays' dementia-addled mind essentially invented the happy ending as a way of compartmentalizing and repressing his memories of what was really going on. Or, at least, that this is a possibility that exists and the shiny happy ending we're presented with might be a figment of a damaged mind is really, really intriguing to me, and I'm still incredibly impressed with how this season managed to bring the concept of the unreliable narrator into play on screen in a way I thought could never really be possible like it can be in books.

Not as many iconic, gripping scenes as S1 so I'd still probably rate it slightly lower, but man, great, great stuff.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:16 pm 

Black Mirror s5, two thirds in, not a happy bunny.

and I didn't like The Terror, sorry folks. sorta meandering. I couldn't believe how many scenes there are of people eating around a table... :/ and the monster is nothing special after all that build up.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154 ... 182  Next