https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Tigrex_Noir newb, lyrics 1b1

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:11 am 

Notice sent.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:52 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/gorilla1969 added dave mustaine's photo on https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... hny/412983

reported by himself, 4 days later: https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/681031

I'd have a look on all the other pics he's added, if anyone has the time. if he can't tell DM from an israeli thrasher, he might be a repeat offender...

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:01 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/colotripidator has been caught doing "favours" for greek bands before:
https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/483047

today I caught him making a few edits on Rotting Christ, and some are dubious... he removed "Black Church", an unlisted band which has been on their members' profiles for 7 years, and was actually added to them by him :/

I went through his history, and he's been removing info from a lot of artists... cherry-picking:

2019-05-29 15:42:23 Kim Modified artist data Full name Κίμ Χατζηδημητρίου to Kim

2019-06-06 16:37:51 Iason Modified artist data Birth date 1982-00-00 deleted

2019-07-02 03:44:12 Andreas Filippou Modified artist data a mostly ok Biography deleted

2019-07-06 14:55:15 Maria Zvyagina Modified artist data Trivia Married to {artist 27456} of {band 11796}. deleted

reeks of whitewashing to me... if anyone cares to ask him to comment. I already requested him to comment on a report.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:12 pm 

Well, he closed his account, so you've got my permission to re-do his edits you think might be whitewashing. Him removing that artists birthdate is fine though, as we do remove those on request.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:34 am 

oh wow. musta been some skeletons in that closet... will have a look. as a pointer, shall I bother with (stuff like) his other edits I mentioned, or those could be legit/unnecessary too?

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:24 pm 

Better safe than sorry. If you're able and willing to, take a look at his other edits and see if there's something fishy.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:43 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
First of all: NEVER add lyrics by what you hear. NEVER EVER.

OH SHIT!!! :O I'm guilty of doing this once, a couple so months ago, when I was listening to a Stryper album, came here, hit Stryper, to catch the lyrics for the album, while the jest of the lyrics were def correct, alot of the 'chorus' was missing, but it was words that I was hearing. I never thought twice about that, until just now (as skimming through some post comments I've obviously missed).

PaganiusI, is it fine to just leave as-is, now? Should I go back to try and re-add the original posted lyrics? Or, should I report myself, and let a Mod take care of it.

I'm so glad I caught this post. It was an honest mistake I did this.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:28 am 

cranialcrusherabc wrote:
This user flags reports all in Portuguese. Although the updates seem legitimate, he should be schooled regarding the language.

E.g. 1
E.g. 2
E.g. 3
E.g. 4

Although it might be of little relevance, this keeps happening. Perhaps a kind warning may be a good idea, if you sirs agree. :nods:

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:40 pm 

This user: https://www.metal-archives.com/users/~Guest%20405122
has ssubmitted the eighties electro funk band Midnight Star as "soft metal" . The main problem is, that it is not his first submissionof that sort, but he submitted in the last weeks at least ffour bands, which are blatantly and objectively lightyears away from metal in terms of musical style.(usually synthpop, new wave, aor and folk rock) Either he does not understand the concept and purpose of the database, or he is blatantly troling. In both cases, however, he should be warned to stop with it
Please listen , for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejTTz3oMgA.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:41 pm 

It's a troll we've banned many times at this point. Please don't flag reports on his submissions when he comes back (because he very likely will), it gives him the attention he wants which will just make him continue.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:29 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/SuicidalFreak makes several appearances in this thread, and now he also adds very easily contradicted false information...

example: he added "Around 2001 or so, Metallica contacted Pepper and asked him if he could join the band as Jason Newsted's replacement. Pepper reportedly declined, fearing he would not have enough creative control." on Pepper Keenan's profile:
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... ilter/data , 2012-07-27 19:06:41

it's well known, via a documentary or two, that Metallica never openly offered the job to anyone. several people, including PK, auditioned. he didn't get the job, he did not "reportedly decline" it.

his latest edit is a weird tidbit about Gustafson/Darrel's guitar sound, which, if true, is really weird that it did not surface until 2019... sounds more like hearsay. nevertheless, he added it on both artists' and albums' pages :/

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:42 am 

Posting here because I don't want to participate in an edit war.

We have an automatic line-up role of "Vocals (female)"... although many believe it is redundant. We never wrote "Vocals (male)"... with the exception of one band: Visions of Atlantis. https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Vi ... antis/8937

This band have always had two vocalists: a male vocalist and female vocalist, both clean, and they both do about 50% of the singing. The band have had numerous lineup changes, and Derigin told me on Discord that it's okay to use "Vocals (male)" in this case to avoid confusion. But last week, thetruecbaby removed them. It looked way better before. Writing "Vocals" for male vocalists but "Vocals (female)" for female vocalists when the vocals are shared equally not only looks stupid, but it's also misleading.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:37 pm 

Today's one of those days where I keep on forgetting shit! I know you guys probably might not care, but still feel like I should mention it.

I edited the (main front) Peasant page 3 (different) times. I meant to edit only once, but eveytime I hit "save", I was like oh shit! I forgot about that.

I know 3 points isn't all that much, but just felt I should mention, is all :)
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Peasant/3540455497

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:40 pm 

Spider_X wrote:
Today's one of those days where I keep on forgetting shit! I know you guys probably might not care, but still feel like I should mention it.

I edited the (main front) Peasant page 3 (different) times. I meant to edit only once, but eveytime I hit "save", I was like oh shit! I forgot about that.

I know 3 points isn't all that much, but just felt I should mention, is all :)
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Peasant/3540455497

I wouldn't even bother posting, it happens to everyone. It is known that your edits are with productive intentions and established you are not a point-whore in any case. Points are not supposed to be even close to an absolutely perfect method of measuring one's contribution nor even significant, especially once you reach the rank of metal freak. No mod is going to lose any sleep over 3 points.

Perhaps if you asked an admin very nicely, they could dock 3 points if it clears your conscience... but if they don't care about 3 points, then why should you?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:06 am 

Agreed. This thread's purpose is to keep up with malicious edits, vandals, trolls and noobs that actually harm the archives in one way or another, not for you apologizing for making one save too much or reverting something you screwed up in a previous edit.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:30 am 

O.k., understood :) I suffer anxiety, and I do have tendencies to worry alot of times. Sometimes worrying over the most redundant shit. I'll remember now. :) Thanks, guys!

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:59 am 

Firstly, this was reported by odium and I think it's worth posting here.

Most of the singles added by this guy to this band's page are just on soundcloud and they were added with links instead of song titles, without the covers, etc.

A kind warning may be required.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:40 am 

not sure if it qualifies, as there isn't a point issue, but https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Metal_Totoro added black and death bands as similar to a power metal band: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Cl ... ar_artists
I don't get it :/

edit: here as well: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ev ... ar_artists

Last edited by aloof on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:38 am 

Some users seem to do that. Isn't it easier to just downvote it? Also the percentage of similarities have always baffled me with how they fluctuate. Sometimes bordering on a sentient algorithm.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:30 am 

Sadly the only thing we can do at this point is downvote stuff we disagree with. Mods don't have the ability to remove things like that.

Also the similar artists tab is often only loosely interpreted by users. Sometimes only a melody or the vocals sound somewhat similar...so...not sure if that's trolling in this case or not

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:19 am 

I've also seen users add "similar bands" based on shared band members, even if the genres are far apart, and obvs trying to "tie" small bands to well-known ones, thinking they'll get hits and likes, but neither was the case for that one :/ he had added "big" greek bands like RC and SF, but also some osbcure ones... bizarre. anyway. thanks for your replies.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:56 am 

One solution that has been suggested a few times and supported by various members of staff is to allow 2 votes for those ranked metal knight... or even metal freak.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:52 pm 

Mods can usually outnumber the obvious troll when combining our strength. Our votes count like 5, so it doesn't even take that many in most cases. I still like the idea of knights getting 2 votes.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:44 am 

isn't there a way to blanket-remove a user's "votes", when they are shown to be completely inaccurate? :/

///

I've mentioned https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Incubu before... now he added a 4-person lineup on a Malmsteen DVD spanning 18 years :/ https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Y ... ive/292337

also, poor english: https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... reon/13545

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 pm 

hey.
is it ok to add lineup (say, guests or other stuff) one-by-one and press "save" each time?
it can be easily detected by timestamps in update history.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:18 pm 

Adding the artists should be enough, Shadechaser. They'll be saved automatically. You don't need to press "save" at all. Not even once.

Or are you talking about editing their roles?

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:59 pm 

No... When I'm adding personnel, I can add several artists and finish it with pressing "save". All of them are added to the lineup database simultaneously, giving me the only point to my score.
Otherwise, a contributor can add one artist and press "save", then add another and press "save" again and so on. This way, contributor earns points for every single saving.
I guess it's not good and ask staff if it's a pointwhoring.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:51 pm 

As far as I know, only band members can be added in one click, since their names are made available as a list with boxes to tick. How you are able to add several "guests or other stuff" at once I am yet to know. :S

Either way, you get a point per added artist. So, when you add four band members to a line-up (be it in one click or otherwise) you'll get 4 points, 1 point for each name.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:44 pm 

Antioch is correct.

If you add 4 members to an album, you get 4 points. Pressing save after ticking 1 box and repeating won't gain anything... it would be a silly waste of time, but not point-whoring as no extra points are gained. 4 points are gained either way.

Line-up editing is a slightly different matter. If you edit the role of every band member, you only get 1 point after you press save. In this case, pressing save after every edit cheats the points system and is undoubtedly point-whoring.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:46 am 

HouseSpiders wrote:
In this case, pressing save after every edit cheats the points system and is undoubtedly point-whoring.

that is the thing I wanted to speak about. damned language barrier :)
is this a case? (check GearWing's edits)
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... /id/788849

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:31 am 

No. She saved artists to the line-up, she didn't edit the data of already saved artists. Like Antioch said, artists are automatically saved once submitted, and it would have been impossible for her to add the guests any other way. Line-ups can only be added all in one by ticking the boxes next to band members, but as they were guests, that wasn't possible. So the answer is... no, GearWing is not a point-whore. Also, no one point-whores after reaching the rank of metal knight... points are really insignificant for us, we no longer gain anything from earning them.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:43 am 

surely, I understand there's no sense in point-whoring for her, that is the reason why I am still in doubt.
however... AFAIK, adding guests and misc staff is possible in two ways:
1. adding all of guests by pressing "add another artist" and then pressing "save", then system grants one point when saving all that was added (except the very first artist, here we get one bonus point. in this case, update history shows that several artists were added at the same time. that's the way how I do it.
2. adding one artist and then pressing "save", then repeating these two steps each time gives a point. update history shows that strings were added in different time. current situation seems to me been caused just this way.
sorry if I am wrong, just want to understand.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:25 am 

Seems like she added the artist with one role and then added new "tabs" for the other roles, saved after that and moved on to the next one. There's nothing wrong with that, she could've done that in less saves I guess, but...oh well... :crash: It's neither malicious nor giving her any benefits, just going the safe route.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:30 pm 

Actually, I don't think she could've. I can't confirm without testing it myself, but I'm fairly sure Antioch is correct that the artists save automatically... and you don't need to press "Save this tab" even once. In which case, I wonder why the button is even there. If so, then it would've been impossible for her to add the guests any other way.

EDIT: Well, I think this can serve as proof guests can only be added one by one, among others I checked.
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... /id/772880

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:54 pm 

Here is an interesting one. Tigrex_noir has been told before not to add lyrics one by one... he's still doing it... but with huge timegaps (up to a day). 99% chance he's doing it for convenience rather than points, but someone might want to let him know we prefer him to use Microsoft Word.

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Tigrex_Noir

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:21 pm 

Uhh, he hasn't edited anything since he received the notice.

As for the artist editing thing. Not sure. Sometimes it's all in one save, sometimes it isn't. As someone who never hits the save button when adding an artist, it shows with different time stamps for each new artist in my timeline while adding all band members wholesale shows as a single time stamp. That save button however is important when editing already existing roles which I guess could be done in one save, but I think we're overthinking that at this point.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:46 pm 

To put it simply: modifying the roles of already saved artists can (and should) be done all in one... that is the only case where the save button is necessary, which admittedly I had forgotten about. The timestamp is the same when adding band members because you can tick the boxes to add them all at once. There is no such box for guests, which is why it's only possible to add them each with separate timestamps/one by one.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:16 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
There is no such box for guests, which is why it's only possible to add them each with separate timestamps/one by one.

Disagree. I guess it's language barrier again, huh :)
Adding artists (with their appropriate roles) as guests or misc staff doesn't generate a string with timestamp in update history log until "save" button is pressed, and it doesn't give a point to contributor until that moment.
Thus, there are two ways. Let me show an example.
1. I add Artist1 with role "Recording". Next, I add Artist2 with role "Mixing". Thirdly, I add Artist3 with role "Mastering". Then I add Artist4 with role "Artwork" and finally I press "save". In theory system should give me 1 point, yet I've noticed it will give me 2 points for this sequence, because for some reason it gives a point anyway when I only press "add to lineup" for Artist1.
2. I add Artist1 with role "Recording" and press "save". Next, I add Artist2 with role "Mixing" and press "save". and press "save". Thirdly, I add Artist3 with role "Mastering" and press "save". Finally, I add Artist4 with role "Artwork" and press "save". I'll earn 4 points this way. As for me it looks not better than adding lyrics one-by-one.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 120  Next