Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:03 am 

i am curious what people think of this, i was never massively able to get into disentomb however this album is just amazing and its something i cant stop listening to right now, the bass really stands out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6nFXXcJXf4&t=193s

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:08 pm 

With that name, you'd think they'd be some kind of Swedish death metal/crust hybrid. :D

Seriously though, I haven't heard this, but I found Misery to be surprisingly good, even though the band isn't exactly my usual cup o' tea when it comes to death metal. Will give this a shot.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:11 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
With that name, you'd think they'd be some kind of Swedish death metal/crust hybrid. :D

Seriously though, I haven't heard this, but I found Misery to be surprisingly good, even though the band isn't exactly my usual cup o' tea when it comes to death metal. Will give this a shot.

lol they do have that kinda name, a lot of people are saying they hear a lot of ulcerate in the new album i personally dont hear it too strongly but i have not listened to a huge amount of ulcerate, oddly enough i never checked out misery so its on my to do list

i am not usually into this genre either but i recently listened to this and the most recent whorestopsy album and enjoyed both so maybe i am changing my mind about the genre

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:58 pm 

It's Uniqueleaderishulcerateish in the sense that there's pretty much the stapple ULR sound but with an added groove and rhythmic flair more akin to Ulcerate's older style. You know, time to breathe between the sonic attacks and some of the drumming patterns. But it's clearly an evolution of Misery, at least from what I've heard so far. Good stuff but like Misery still no cigar.

babysgottalocomotive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:56 am 

I'll throw some positive in here. It's an absolute monster of an album. Huge sounding, great production, and the new bass player is having an absolute ball. Love the drumming too. Top notch BDM, all gore and no core. Just how I likes it.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:32 pm 

thank you for the replies glad there is a few people who like it, i really need to check out misery now, they just released a new music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuMS-_8wIrc

the more i listen the more i hear that i missed its one of those albums where you can miss a lot so it favours repeat listens

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:59 pm 

Had a ticket to go watch them last night but was too tired to go. Disgorge worship done pretty well.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:15 am 

"Misery" was one of the best bdm albums in recent memory. And I love Ulcerate as well, so any additional influence is welcome with me.

The two tracks I listened to a few days ago sounded excellent. I would rate this band far above the typical Unique Leader cookie cutter bands...

FxIx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:05 pm 

The buzz around the new album, and what I've heard of it, has me interested enough to see them live in a couple months.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:21 pm 

Listening to it now. Not really my style at all, but very well played, tight and complex in it's riffs and compositions.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:51 pm 

i must admit i dont know too much about unique leader, enjoy seeing them live i almost got to see them live but didnt have the funds at the time, i'll get them next time and i understand they are not everyone's genre it took me a bit to adjust to them but they are not for everyone

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:32 am 

misery would definitely rank very high on my top albums from the last decade - so very much looking forward to hearing this

i like how their style of brutal death metal sounds more like regular old school death metal, but more brutal, rather than what the term bdm usually brings to mind these days, with all the pig squeals, slams, and shit

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:38 am 

joppek wrote:
misery would definitely rank very high on my top albums from the last decade - so very much looking forward to hearing this

i like how their style of brutal death metal sounds more like regular old school death metal, but more brutal, rather than what the term bdm usually brings to mind these days, with all the pig squeals, slams, and shit

i agree i dunno they just bring a different feel than most brutal death metal bands, they have a few slower songs which work well for me

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:23 am 

Their style is pretty clearly rooted in the old-school Unique Leader catalog (e.g. Deeds of Flesh, Disgorge, Gorgasm, Brutus, Severed Savior, Pyaemia, etc.) with some more modern dissonant elements. It's just that outside of Disentomb, there really hasn't been a band playing that style of brutal death at any point within recent memory that has achieved widespread success the way they have.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
Their style is pretty clearly rooted in the old-school Unique Leader catalog (e.g. Deeds of Flesh, Disgorge, Gorgasm, Brutus, Severed Savior, Pyaemia, etc.) with some more modern dissonant elements. It's just that outside of Disentomb, there really hasn't been a band playing that style of brutal death at any point within recent memory that has achieved widespread success the way they have.

This, 100%. That was like the real golden age of BDM as an established style. Inveracity, Incinerate, Liturgy, Saprogenic were some good bands in the old school Unique Leader style of its latter days. Atmosphere, aggression and malice in the notes and generally unrelenting speed. Brodequin were the kings for me.

Shame the tech elements coming into play through Necrophagist and Origin would come back around to making popular BDM shiny and wanky and mostly shitty. You're right that there's been a long lack of bands like Disentomb that just play hard, fast and with real songs. They're around, but few that fit so well into the old UL mold.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:16 am 

Abnormality kinda moved in that direction on their most recent one, and Infuriate and Serocs also have the old Unique Leader sound. The last Decrepit Birth also went back in that direction, but it wasn't a full return to ...And Time Begins by any means. Part of the reason why New Standard Elite disappoints me is the lack of quality control; Dan signs some cool stuff here and there, and it's clear that he wants to be the new early 2000s Unique Leader, but for every one cool act he signs, he also signs multiple derivative Disgorge, Severed Savior, and Gutrot clones. Disentomb stood out both because of quality and because blending old-school Cali-style brutal death with dissonant death really was a unique idea.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:37 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:55 am 

i love the riff's they are technical without being wanky, just a lot of groove to their sound

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:58 am 

Got it on now cd. Class music.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:18 am 

Everflowingstream wrote:
Got it on now cd. Class music.

i'll be buying it soon, tbh i dont buy many albums but an album as good as this deserves my money, cant stop listening to it, the guitarist and bass player does such a good job

Reply to topic