Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:06 pm 

Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren. Not convinced by the title but looking forward to this nonetheless.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/insomn ... guitarist/

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:15 pm 

Awesome! The last Insomnium was an all time great as far as I'm concerned, so it'll be fun to see where they go after that massive album.

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:35 pm 

Quote:
In 2018, it became apparent that Ville [Friman] could not combine the heavy touring anymore with his another career as a lecturer in York university. Hence, we decided that a third guitarist was needed to get the machinery running properly.

This is bad news and a red flag.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:09 pm 

I've been kind of convinced that, while the band is still putting out solid releases, they won't ever top their first 3 albums. Even the last album, which I applaud them for doing something different, but ultimately the music didn't stick with me any more than their other more recent output. I enjoy it when I play it, but it's not an album I'm reaching for often.

But there are some things in that article that give me hope that maybe this album will be something special and not just another by-the-books Insomnium release. More songwriters in the mix, a real push towards melancholy, and Jens Bogren doing the mix and master. It's definitely peaked my interest.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:59 pm 

When it comes to this band, their sweet spot, for me, was the Across the Dark/One for Sorrow/Shadows... trilogy. Each of those albums absolutely crushes in a way the very early albums don't. Winter's Gate was great as far as the individual performances go, but I agree that for whatever reason the melodies just weren't as strong - none of the songs stuck out. Ville "leaving" isn't a red flag. He still contributes to the writing and he said he'll tour when he has time. Jani is a good replacement (I saw him last year with Insomnium and they crushed it). Insomnium remains one of my favorite bands and I am very much looking forward to this new one. I think the album title is fucking awesome actually, even given its simplicity. As long as the music puts me in a very dark yet beautiful place, I'll be very happy. Judging by the album description, I think it'll be wonderful.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:47 pm 

above the weeping world is their album that lured me in. also like one for sorrow, but overall they're not an album band for me. I tend to really like 2-3-4 songs a lot and the rest is just okay...

I was miffed when they were touring with just the drummer and stand-ins, but I get that two of them (three if you count the original other guitarist) have really succesful and demanding day jobs.

as long as Friman writes most of the music, I'll always give their albums a listen, although I only really liked one song from the last two...

I'm also starting to tire of the circular theme in the album covers.

but they seem to be going beyond grim on this one lyrically, so let's see... if the leads match the melancholy.

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
When it comes to this band, their sweet spot, for me, was the Across the Dark/One for Sorrow/Shadows... trilogy. Each of those albums absolutely crushes in a way the very early albums don't. Winter's Gate was great as far as the individual performances go, but I agree that for whatever reason the melodies just weren't as strong - none of the songs stuck out. Ville "leaving" isn't a red flag. He still contributes to the writing and he said he'll tour when he has time. Jani is a good replacement (I saw him last year with Insomnium and they crushed it). Insomnium remains one of my favorite bands and I am very much looking forward to this new one. I think the album title is fucking awesome actually, even given its simplicity. As long as the music puts me in a very dark yet beautiful place, I'll be very happy. Judging by the album description, I think it'll be wonderful.

I agree with you, I also find these three albums the best. Don't see the appeal of the first two ones, although Above the Weeping World is great too.

Are you sure he still contributes to the songwriting? That's the most important.

Judging by the song names, they are probably going to be more folky than previous albums. Maybe we'll hear a combination of those folky songs on the first two albums (which I liked the most from there, by the way) and their modern sound. Perhaps some blackened elements too.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:58 am 

Surprised to see people preferring their newer stuff. To me they’ve never topped Since the Day or Above the Weeping World. Everything after Above has been fine, even good at times, but not anything I often revisit. Like their last couple, I’ll give this new one a try but don’t expect to be blown away.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:50 am 

praey wrote:
Surprised to see people preferring their newer stuff. To me they’ve never topped Since the Day or Above the Weeping World. Everything after Above has been fine, even good at times, but not anything I often revisit. Like their last couple, I’ll give this new one a try but don’t expect to be blown away.

I suspect at least some of those people were introduced to the band on their more recent material. As a fan of the band back when their first album came out, I've always been more partial to their earlier stuff when their sound was still new and fresh. Some bands improve over time, others get stale. I definitely feel like Insomnium is the latter. For the most part, they're just releasing paint-by-numbers Insomnium songs at this point. Nothing bad, but it's no longer exciting like on their first few albums.

That being said, I am interested in what they come up with on this new one. But I also said that when the details of Winter's Gate was first announced, and that ended up being another so-so album, so we'll see if they can actually deliver something exciting this time around.

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:20 pm 

Evoken wrote:
praey wrote:

I suspect at least some of those people were introduced to the band on their more recent material. As a fan of the band back when their first album came out, I've always been more partial to their earlier stuff when their sound was still new and fresh. Some bands improve over time, others get stale. I definitely feel like Insomnium is the latter. For the most part, they're just releasing paint-by-numbers Insomnium songs at this point. Nothing bad, but it's no longer exciting like on their first few albums.

That being said, I am interested in what they come up with on this new one. But I also said that when the details of Winter's Gate was first announced, and that ended up being another so-so album, so we'll see if they can actually deliver something exciting this time around.

I only became a fan of Insomnium a year ago, but I don't think it matters. I haven't been a fan of metal for long, so I basically acquaint myself with the material post-factum, so to speak. For most bands I indeed prefer their early material to the latter, but Insomnium is probably the only exception for me.

Their first abums simply doesn't have the thing I like Insomnium for. The thing that sets Insomnium apart from all the other melodeath bands are their melancholic riffs that almost make you cry. Dark Tranquility, In Flames and all the other bands don't have this, so they do nothing for me. The first two Insomnium albums are normal melodeath, so I don't like them that much. They mastered this riffing on Across the Dark, and I like every single song they released since that album.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:03 pm 

In Flames has melancholic riffs in their early releases my man. One thing I find interesting about them is they transitioned from sadness to I wouldn't say happiness, but definitely a way more up beat and inspirational overall sound. The Jester Race is a very sad album musically speaking (lyrically as well), whereas Clayman (the last real IF album) is much, much more hopeful despite having some negative lyrics here and there. And Dark Tranquility is one of the most melancholic bands in the genre - I suggest you give them another listen. Omnium Gatherum as well.

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:40 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
In Flames has melancholic riffs in their early releases my man. One thing I find interesting about them is they transitioned from sadness to I wouldn't say happiness, but definitely a way more up beat and inspirational overall sound. The Jester Race is a very sad album musically speaking (lyrically as well), whereas Clayman (the last real IF album) is much, much more hopeful despite having some negative lyrics here and there. And Dark Tranquility is one of the most melancholic bands in the genre - I suggest you give them another listen. Omnium Gatherum as well.

I don't know, I listened to Jester's Race by IF and a few Dark Tranquility albums. They didn't stick in my memory for some reason. When I first listened to Insomnium and heard those riffs I was completely amazed at how beautiful they are, especially outro riffs. Perhaps it's a matter of taste.

I could give DT another try though, since they have a huge discography. I listened to their Atoma and Damage Done albums, what else should I check out?

DungeonShade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:50 pm 

Good for Jani! Looking forward to the album.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:46 pm 

Diplomate wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

I don't know, I listened to Jester's Race by IF and a few Dark Tranquility albums. They didn't stick in my memory for some reason. When I first listened to Insomnium and heard those riffs I was completely amazed at how beautiful they are, especially outro riffs. Perhaps it's a matter of taste.

I could give DT another try though, since they have a huge discography. I listened to their Atoma and Damage Done albums, what else should I check out?

You can't get more mellow than Projector really, but if you could also try Haven for that matter.

I think that old Insomnium is slightly better than new, but I really haven't liked the band's past couple of albums to be honest. Just more of the same and without any soul or gripping moments. I'll check this new one but I don't think I'll ever hear songs like on the second and third albums again.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:49 pm 

Haven is such an under appreciated DT album. I love it. I think Fabric is one of their best, darkest songs - amazing main riffs and eerie keyboards.

Another band that straddles the line between melancholy and inspiration is the mighty Wolfheart. Those guys are on such a streak I can barely understand. 4 albums into their career and each one is just pummeling with some of the most melancholic moments you'll find. The last album crushes (Everlasting Fall is one of my favorite songs from the last decade probably), but my favorite is the debut. Strength and Valor \m/

Another well known bands of this type is Kalmah. A truly amazing band that has written an abundance of devastating but gorgeous riffs and melodies.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:00 pm 

I feel like, with Insomnium, it really depends on when you got into them. I first got into 'em when One for Sorrow came out and I still like that one a lot. I think Since the Day and Weeping World are a bit better and they definitely have just been doing the same thing over and over again for a long while now, but they're still a good listen when I'm in the mood so I'm sure I'll give this one a go once it's out.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:44 pm 

Obviously anyone can tell I'm a fan from my screen name. I got into them with "Since the Day"...and consider their 1st 3 to be their masterpieces and started to be slightly less enthusiastic about them with "Across the Dark" (still a good album though), and have continued to be less impressed by their output, but still continued to be a big fan and really like at least a few songs off each album. It's just that I don't really like most or all of the tracks on their albums like I did on their 1st 3.

I don't know, I just feel like they were much more inspired on "In the Halls", "Since the Day" and "Above the Weeping World" than they have been since then, but again, still a great band. I just wish they could get a bit more of the original magic back that they had on the early albums, but I still consider them one of my favorite bands.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:50 pm 

I got in right before Above the Weeping World was announced. I still have very fond memories of high school listening to those first two Insomnium albums, of which Since the Day... was spectacular. Then the single "Mortal Share" hit and I was hooked more than ever. To this day Above the Weeping World wows me on a level that only other perfect albums do. So monumental. Love it from sophomore year till now. Wasn't long after that I joined this site.

Across the Dark was a serious grower, I didn't think much of it at first. Each after were growers, too.

It does help with which one you got into. None of them are outright bad albums and they each have a particular style to them.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:24 am 

They don´t have any bad album so I expect another pretty solid work. I will see them this autumn so I hope the new stuff is on part with their older albums.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:41 pm 

Across the Dark is fantastic. The Equivalence/Down with the Sun intro/opener is amazing. I love Insomnium's stuff because they have the most epic build ups. Winter's Gate didn't have anything like that, which is a reason it didn't stick with me.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:33 am 

first track: Valediction
Spoiler: show

nothing new or special.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:22 am 

I like the beginning and the part that starts at 3:38 when they inject more power into the track. The rest is them dispassionately going through the motions. Meh.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:39 am 

Oh, I dig this.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:02 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:43 pm 

Sounds really good IMO, especially the guitar harmonies toward the last 1/3 of the song. I am highly anticipating this.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:44 pm 

Cleans aren't a guest performance - Jani is doing them and he's got a pretty decent voice, though not great. Certainly better than the other guitarist who did the cleans in the old days.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:24 pm 

Rompestromper wrote:
first track: Valediction
Spoiler: show

nothing new or special.

Even my non-metal girlfriend said that it sounded "too cute". I rest my case. :tinfoil:

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:06 pm 

Yeah I don't care for those cleans at all anymore. They were cool when they introduced them on Through The Shadows but 9 out of 10 times they make the song too sugary and/or take the momentum away.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:31 pm 

Catchy main riff, solid chorus. Cleans sound a little bit on the nasal side for me, but not enough to ruin the song since the melody they carry is decent. Overall not a bad track at all, just a tad nondescript.

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:27 pm 

A typical Insomnium song, not more, not less. Sounds like a crossover between Winter's Gate and early albums.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:34 am 

I fucking love this band. Saw them on the Winters Gate tour and will be seeing them again next spring. This album will rip just like all the others, though I do prefer the first 3 albums along with Shadows of the Dying Sun which I have a big soft spot for.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:50 pm 

Yes that tour announcement came out of nowhere and is massive - Insomnium and OG together again. I can't wait for that - two of my favorite bands. Marcus is going to be absolutely exhausted at the end of this tour!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:21 am 

Title track was released. I really like it.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:47 pm 

I was expecting a little bit more of aggression akin to the first single, but the main acoustic motif is memorable. So far they've been nailing the atmosphere just right but have been missing on intensity. If among those 10 tracks we get at least 3 rip-roaring ones, I'll be happy.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:08 am 

This comes out on my birthday, so I guess I have to listen to it.

EDIT: I was unaware that melodeath could put me to sleep until I heard these two songs.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:00 am 

Wasn't too bad. Honestly it was longer then it shouldve been but I like the melody. Sort of like a less depressing version of Weighed Down With Sorrow.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:37 pm 

Yeah, it reminded me of a watered down version of Weighed Down with Sorrow.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:26 am 

The melodies are awesome as well, Insomnium is a super consistent band so I expect quality stuff as always. The only doubt is if it is "just" a very good album or directly great.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:08 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:46 am 

New song

quite a good song! felt the atmosphere of older albums here

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next