Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:27 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/its-of ... s-adler/or

LAMB OF GOD has officially parted ways with drummer Chris Adler. His replacement is Art Cruz, who has previously played with PRONG and WINDS OF PLAGUE, and filled in for Adler in LAMB OF GOD on tour for the past year.

Quote:
LAMB OF GOD announced Adler's exit from the band in a statement earlier today. The group wrote: "Dear LAMB OF GOD fans, we returned last week from a great European festival run and our final tour with SLAYER in North America. We are excited to keep the momentum going and dive into the next record.

"We'd like to officially welcome Art Cruz, who has been playing drums with us on tour for the last year, as the new drummer of LAMB OF GOD. Art will be joining us in the studio as we begin pre-production and recording of a new album.

"We're very proud of everything this band has accomplished over the last two decades. We would like to thank Chris Adler for his contributions over the years and wish him the best in his future endeavors."

When Adler's absence from LAMB OF GOD's summer 2018 tour was first announced, he released a statement saying that he had been undergoing physical and occupational therapy for injuries he sustained in a motorcycle accident in late 2017.

This past January, Art was asked by American Musical Supply what it has been like making a transition between playing his own drum parts to reproducing somebody else's material. He responded: "Chris is my buddy, so to be sitting in his place while he situates his stuff, it's been tough, because it's my favorite band ever — that was my dream to even be up next to them. But it's been a little bit of challenge, because it's big shoes to fill. But I'm having fun with it, the band is having fun with it, and it's been great — it's been phenomenal."

Art went on to say that he didn't have to alter his playing style in order to accommodate LAMB OF GOD's music. "I've been looking up to the band, like I said, since day one, so they inspired me from the get-go," he said. "So I didn't have to change too much. I think I had to focus a little bit more. 'Cause I'm usually just kind of whaling. But I would say it's a little bit more focused and intense. Especially when there's, like, fifty thousand people staring at you, in relation to two thousand or five hundred."

Cruz made his live debut with LAMB OF GOD in July 2018 in Gilford, New Hampshire.

Earlier this month, it was revealed that Adler will join forces with EXODUS vocalist Steve "Zetro" Souza, VIO-LENCE/ex-MACHINE HEAD guitarist Phil Demmel and former MEGADETH/BLACK LABEL SOCIETY bassist James LoMenzo for a run of shows in October under the HAIL! banner.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:42 pm 

This is a weird one, and I've been kinda waiting for them to break up for like a decade now so I'm not entirely surprised but it's odd to see he's the first one to break away since he's so integral to their sound.

And let me clarify, I haven't been waiting for them to break up because I want them to, not at all. But man if you watch any of the documentary footage of them at all, especially the behind the scenes stuff on Killadelphia or the bonus DVD that came with Sacrament, they just always seemed like they were on the verge of imploding. Nobody seems to enjoy their time not spent on stage, they don't (or didn't) collaborate when writing songs and everybody would just being in their own finished stuff for the rest of the guys to learn (and they never seemed to like Mark's songs all that much), they (Chris and Mark especially) always seemed disinterested or frustrated with the other guys, it just seemed like something similar to what Metallica is nowadays: a group of guys that had grown apart but stick together because it's their job.

I'm kinda just reading between the lines, and I haven't kept up with them much since Wrath, considering I haven't liked the last two albums, so that all could've changed, and it could very well be due to his accident a few years ago keeping him out of top form, but either way the fact that somebody finally left doesn't shock me, it doesn't even really shock me that it was Chris, but I do think that he was probably the most devastating member that could've left. Randy is the face for sure, but Chris was always the backbone.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:43 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
This is a weird one, and I've been kinda waiting for them to break up for like a decade now so I'm not entirely surprised but it's odd to see he's the first one to break away since he's so integral to their sound.

And let me clarify, I haven't been waiting for them to break up because I want them to, not at all.

He is a pretty integral part of their sound, but I've not really been keeping up with them since Ashes, so I barely know about what's been going on with them. Were they still putting out decent or good material or even artistically relevant music?

The announcement and the backstory seems to point to Adler leaving because of his injury rather than because he didn't like playing with the band anymore. You think he might have left because he didn't like playing with LoG anymore?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:52 pm 

If you liked Ashes, there's no reason you wouldn't also like Sacrament. Wrath is a bit more split here but honestly I think a lot of that was because of a knee-jerk hate train spawned by a bunch of bandwagon 0% reviews for the lead single. It's the most legitimately angry they'd sounded since the debut if you ask me, and I think it's very good. Resolution and Sturm und Drang were pure autopilot mediocrity though.

Like I said, I'm reading between lines that might not even be there anymore, it'd probably be better if somebody who is still an active fan could chime in on how their personal chemistry has seemed lately. But from my eyes, when they were at their peak and making their best music, nobody really seemed all that interested and I figured they'd either break up or start seeing members leave at least ten years earlier and I'm surprised it took this long. Even more surprised if he really is leaving purely because of his injuries.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:55 am 

It's interesting, because aside from a few lineup changes in their early days before releasing their first full length, they've kept a pretty stable line up?

His brother is still in the band, gonna make Thanksgiving dinners awkward.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:49 am 

Makes me super sad, he was the main driving force in making the band as big as they are. Always pushed the band to evolve their sound and make the band a career thing and not just a fun weekend hobby. He also made the unusual but inspired choice of producer Machine for Ashes of the Wake, who also had a big hand in developing LoG’s sound.

This split seems anything but amicable given the statement’s rather generic wording and the weird lack of communication from both camps in the past year. They’ve still had plenty of good going for them too - yes, about half of Sturm und Drang was pretty poor like all of Resolution and my 89% score may have been too high, but the good tracks on it I still maintain are some of their best stuff ever.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:28 am 

BastardHead wrote:
If you liked Ashes, there's no reason you wouldn't also like Sacrament.

Funny enough, I was in the opposite camp when 'Sacrament' came out. I was just getting into death metal at the time and that album just wasn't Lamb of God to me. It gave me pause to see that just about everyone a couple of months ago knew the lyrics to "Redneck" and I was out of the loop after "so goddamn easy to write this" when no one in my group gave a shit that "I Cum Blood" or "Hammer Smashed Face" started the evening.

As hipsterish as that sounds, it's funny just where Lamb of God makes it mark because for me it was definitely in 'Ashes of the Wake'. Who doesn't get a jolt of fury and feeling of majesty screaming "see who gives a fuck" with a few thousand other people?

As for the Chris Adler situation. It sucks that he's not going to be part of the band but really I left the paddock after 'Sacrament'. It doesn't mean that the band doesn't have a place in my heart, they were a bucket list band very early on and it was incredible to finally see them live even without him, especially rowing Amon Amarth's viking longboat and swinging fishing poles, but damn other than the major controversy the band's music just hasn't done it for me since "Blood of the Scribe" stomped on my balls years back and even then that one was too intense for them to put into a live show when opening for FUCKING SLAYER!

Glad he's recovered enough to tour in another outfit though, the guy has one hell of a rhythm about him and I'd like to hear him on an album that doesn't have to do with Lamb of God just to really see how he rounds things out. It'd be interesting to hear him do something a little more intense or versatile as opposed to the band he's been linked to from the beginning. It makes me think of Joey Jordison, he's played with far better bands and it shows his talents in that he can hold up the greats despite starting out in a band like Slipknot.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:59 am 

Five_Nails wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Funny enough, I was in the opposite camp when 'Sacrament' came out. I was just getting into death metal at the time and that album just wasn't Lamb of God to me. It gave me pause to see that just about everyone a couple of months ago knew the lyrics to "Redneck" and I was out of the loop after "so goddamn easy to write this" when no one in my group gave a shit that "I Cum Blood" or "Hammer Smashed Face" started the evening.

As hipsterish as that sounds, it's funny just where Lamb of God makes it mark because for me it was definitely in 'Ashes of the Wake'. Who doesn't get a jolt of fury and feeling of majesty screaming "see who gives a fuck" with a few thousand other people?

As for the Chris Adler situation. It sucks that he's not going to be part of the band but really I left the paddock after 'Sacrament'. It doesn't mean that the band doesn't have a place in my heart, they were a bucket list band very early on and it was incredible to finally see them live even without him, especially rowing Amon Amarth's viking longboat and swinging fishing poles, but damn other than the major controversy the band's music just hasn't done it for me since "Blood of the Scribe" stomped on my balls years back and even then that one was too intense for them to put into a live show when opening for FUCKING SLAYER!

Glad he's recovered enough to tour in another outfit though, the guy has one hell of a rhythm about him and I'd like to hear him on an album that doesn't have to do with Lamb of God just to really see how he rounds things out. It'd be interesting to hear him do something a little more intense or versatile as opposed to the band he's been linked to from the beginning. It makes me think of Joey Jordison, he's played with far better bands and it shows his talents in that he can hold up the greats despite starting out in a band like Slipknot.

He did the drums on Megadeth's Dystopia album of you want to here him play something different.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:31 am 

BastardHead wrote:

And let me clarify, I haven't been waiting for them to break up because I want them to, not at all. But man if you watch any of the documentary footage of them at all, especially the behind the scenes stuff on Killadelphia or the bonus DVD that came with Sacrament, they just always seemed like they were on the verge of imploding. Nobody seems to enjoy their time not spent on stage, they don't (or didn't) collaborate when writing songs and everybody would just being in their own finished stuff for the rest of the guys to learn (and they never seemed to like Mark's songs all that much), they (Chris and Mark especially) always seemed disinterested or frustrated with the other guys, it just seemed like something similar to what Metallica is nowadays: a group of guys that had grown apart but stick together because it's their job.

I'm kinda just reading between the lines, and I haven't kept up with them much since Wrath, considering I haven't liked the last two albums, so that all could've changed, and it could very well be due to his accident a few years ago keeping him out of top form, but either way the fact that somebody finally left doesn't shock me, it doesn't even really shock me that it was Chris, but I do think that he was probably the most devastating member that could've left. Randy is the face for sure, but Chris was always the backbone.

I had the exact same reaction hearing this and have a similar history with regards to keeping up with the band so thanks for summarizing my thoughts for me haha.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:53 pm 

It's been the Randy Blythe Show for a good while now, so regardless of whether it was the accident or other reasons or a combination of them, this probably isn't going to affect the trajectory they're on other than just intellectually knowing Chris isn't there.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:58 pm 

Probably one of my favorite drummers of all time, but his distinct style only really changed the game for the first three records. Everything after that has been sort of bland, but those first three are metal classics in my book, and his unique drumming style plays a large part to that.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:29 pm 

I honestly only ever enjoyed "Ashes", and even that album has lost its glimmer to me. But the precision drumming was what really endeared that album to me. I was never really a fan of Blythe's vocal style (always struck me as bland and not nearly aggressive enough), and the riffing style tends to run together, but Adler's drumming was totally killer. I'd be interested in hearing him play in a death/thrash outfit, Ithink he could really shine in that style. Other than that, I can't really say it's a shame because I haven't found anything after Ashes to be remotely interesting. Like Bastardhead said, I figured they would have imploded by now.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

~Guest 323749
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:25 am 

fourrobert13 wrote:
Five_Nails wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

He did the drums on Megadeth's Dystopia album of you want to here him play something different.

He also played drums on Protest the Hero's Volition album for even more variety.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:12 pm 

This is shocking.

He should ask to rejoin Megadeth. Gotta be easier than trying to make a new band profitable.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:41 pm 

I do kinda wonder how he feels about declining to join Megadeth in hindsight. I've never been crazy about Lamb of God but I'd never deny his talents as a drummer. He honestly may have been their most talented player.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:10 pm 

How much is Megadeth making these days? When i saw them last they were playing half of a small arena, and they were giving tickets away like crazy. I went with a large group and nobody actually paid, we just went up and got free tickets. Still was half full.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:34 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
How much is Megadeth making these days? When i saw them last they were playing half of a small arena, and they were giving tickets away like crazy. I went with a large group and nobody actually paid, we just went up and got free tickets. Still was half full.

Maybe so. I think they haven't put out a strong album in a decade, but a lot of people enjoyed Dystopia so I don't know how the public views them overall.

The lineups for their recent shows don't sound that great to me, like opening for Scorpions. I like the Scorpions, but there is no new blood on these bills.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:36 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I do kinda wonder how he feels about declining to join Megadeth in hindsight. I've never been crazy about Lamb of God but I'd never deny his talents as a drummer. He honestly may have been their most talented player.

To me he is definitely their most talented member, with no close second.

He also turned down a gig in Testament.

I can't think of a decent playing gig in metal these days that doesn't have their drummer situation locked down.

I have to wonder why he had to sit out for a year too. Who would want to hire a drummer that does that to their band?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:45 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I have to wonder why he had to sit out for a year too. Who would want to hire a drummer that does that to their band?

In fairness, he was out for a good while due to injury after a motorcycle accident.

As for the rest of that, he probably turned down full time gigs out of loyalty to his main band, and only just now either faced the music that he still wasn't up to his old level and had to step down, or just finally decided he didn't want to be in the band anymore. I was reading between the lines earlier but honestly the more I think about it the more I realize I was being conspiratorial for no real reason. All that frustrated animosity was well over a decade ago and there probably isn't much deeper meaning than the guy just wanting to move on after playing with the same guys in the same band for 25 years.

Reply to topic