Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:21 am 

I watched The Ritual last night and thought it was not bad, though like many horror movies, got a little silly/over-the-top at the end during the final reveal. The acting was good, script so-so, well done cinematography and special effects, and in parts was quite suspenseful. Overall not a bad way to spend an hour and a half.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:41 am 

The Ritual was a heartbreaker for me because I thought it had SO MUCH POTENTIAL. When they found homie upstairs in that cabin? Damn, it really shook me up. But ultimately, yeah, the reveal was painfully corny to me. I hated the "monster", and I never really understood what the fuck was supposed to be happening with the congregation.

It had a lot of potential but as the credits rolled I distinctly remember wanting my time back.

Didn't get to see Midsommar this weekend cause I'm a broke biiiiiitch. The hype train is still massive though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:45 am 

The Ritual was a much better book than movie. The movie was good but they cut out a shitload of the story and really seemed to have rushed through it - was surprised at how quick and bare it seemed in comparison to the quite dense, studious book.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:36 pm 

I quite liked The Ritual. good, properly scary atmosphere, esp during the night in that cabin. liked the ending too... the only slight disappointment was that I kept expecting all those liquor store flashbacks to go somewhere... :/

Under the Silver Lake was movie of the year for me. loved it. it's not easy to blend all those elements in one single movie and make it (to me at least) cohesive and enjoyable... it's the closest I've ever got to a Tom Robbins movie :)

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:48 pm 

aloof wrote:
I quite liked The Ritual. good, properly scary atmosphere, esp during the night in that cabin. liked the ending too... the only slight disappointment was that I kept expecting all those liquor store flashbacks to go somewhere... :/

I think...
Spoiler: show
...those scenes/flashbacks were to show the main character's continuous struggle with his guilt of being a coward when his friend needed him most and tying that cowardice with their current situation in the woods. In the end, he finally took the hatchet (in place of the bottle he failed to use as a weapon in the store) and rose up against the monster, thus absolving himself of his past failures or something like that.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:50 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

Didn't get to see Midsommar this weekend cause I'm a broke biiiiiitch. The hype train is still massive though.

Well, my son and I saw Midsommar, and we both enjoyed it. It could have maybe moved a bit more quickly, but it was quite good. Some great, eerie moments. As we walked out, he said, "that movie was messed up."

First time I can recall seeing a movie where I wanted the sex scene to end sooner. Not because it was bad, but because I was watching it with my son.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:05 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
aloof wrote:

I think...
...those scenes/flashbacks were to show the main character's continuous struggle with his guilt of being a coward when his friend needed him most and tying that cowardice with their current situation in the woods. In the end, he finally took the hatchet (in place of the bottle he failed to use as a weapon in the store) and rose up against the monster, thus absolving himself of his past failures or something like that.

mmhm, I got the guilt part, but never made the bottle/hatchet connection. I figured since we saw the liquor store shelves appear by him throughout the forest, they'd be there again at the end, or at some other "resolution" scene.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:40 pm 

aloof wrote:
mmhm, I got the guilt part, but never made the bottle/hatchet connection. I figured since we saw the liquor store shelves appear by him throughout the forest, they'd be there again at the end, or at some other "resolution" scene.

As the monster was chasing him through the woods and I think when it pinned him down to try to get him to worship it, there were some liquor store elements.
I think those were the filmmakers attempts to tie the two events together, though you're right: at the very end it was just the monster and the guy - no store.
Maybe that was intentional to put the past behind or something though I doubt it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:29 am 

I really liked The Ritual. The monster was really cool and pretty scary to be honest, though it was honestly a bit scarier when less was shown of it earlier on in the movie.

Under the Silver Lake was...okay...I get the themes and all but they still don't absolve it of the fact that for most of it you are still kinda just watching pointless (as in, the events in the movie were often pointless, not that the movie itself was) hipster noir. I also get that having a real resolution would've gone against the point of the film, but hey, I still like movies that end in a satisfactory way. It sure looked good, though.

I also watched Game Night. This was a really fun one - some of the really awkward scenes had me in complete stitches - but the real stand-out stuff in this movie for me were the soundtrack and cinematography, which were both far above par for a comedy.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:58 am 

I just finished watching Dayereh (The Circle). One of those movies which has the potential to change your whole perspective on things, which is no doubt why it's banned in Iran. It really does reveal beautifully how the crime of being born a woman is effectively taken to be a crime, and it's played out in the depiction of how these women have to live. What need is there to create fugitive movies with elaborate sci-fi scenarios when these conditions exist in real life? It's unfortunate that most Iranians won't get to see it, but that's no different from Americans not getting to see similar critiques of their own culture, because such movies simply aren't made (or if they are, aren't watched). The circumstances which lead to certain sections of society being ostracized, targeted and condemned may differ from place to place, but they all have in common that those who suffer them are at the mercy of their own fate, which is never of their own choosing.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:45 pm 

I never saw Hereditary, so I don't know how it compares, but Midsommar was a blast. It was much more unsettling than outright scary but oh boy did I feel unsettled. That sex scene managed to be the weirdest admixture of uncomfortably disturbing and also hilarious, and this film might have the most realistic depiction of a hallucinogenic trip I've seen in a movie. Good performances, runes everywhere, Swedes everywhere, not much to dislike here.

Apart from that, I think it's pretty cool that the last two years we've had two great horror films that take place almost entirely in daylight (this and Annihilation), really nice change of pace.

I think this is the first or second "folk horror" movie I've seen (does the Witch count?). The local artsy movie theater keeps managing to show The Wicker Man at the worst times for me, so I haven't seen that yet.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:27 pm 

https://news.avclub.com/jamie-lee-curti ... bOdWd3wrWk

Well I guess I figured we'd get more Halloween sequels. Pretty cool titles... I hope we get more character development, and less fanservice-y moments than the 2018 film, but maybe that is wishing for the moon.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:56 pm 

I've only ever seen the original Halloween. Any of the sequels worth watching? The latest one with JLC looked pretty decent so that's cool that they're continuing with that. IIRC, this new trilogy ignores all of the other sequels, correct? (So if I want to watch the latest one, I don't need to rent the entire back-catalog to know what's going on? :D )

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:04 pm 

I only really ever watch the first one, but the new one was good and I might see it again sometime. Yeah the new one ignores everything after the original, which I loved because I never liked what they did with the story in any of the sequels.

Avoid the Rob Zombie ones - some of the worst shit I've ever seen.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:41 pm 

John Dies at the End - I saw this a few years ago. Maybe even wrote some mildly positive words about it here? If so, I changed my mind. This is self-indulgent, barely coherent nonsense. 4 / 10

Overlord - They mixed a serious World War 2 movie with a mad scientist monster movie. I thought it worked! 7 / 10

Quote:
Any of the sequels worth watching?

I recommend not bothering with either movie called Halloween II. The 1981 version sucks because it seems lazy and thrown together in a hurry, despite coming out a few years after the original. And the 2009 Rob Zombie version sucks because it tries to be ambitious and psychological with that "white horse" stuff and completely fails.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:22 am 

I wouldn't say Zombie's Halloween movies are without merit, because both have some really great moments but fall apart as a whole. Tyler Mane is the most imposing and threatening Michael Meyers ever, and the brutality of his kills are virtually unmatched besides the bathroom scene of the latest reboot/sequel/blah blah. There's also a real urgency to Laurie's cries in the ER at the beginning of his H2, things I've heard a few times from being in the ER as a bystander. They aren't good, not even compared to his own creations, but they're better than half of the original series.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:07 am 

Halloween 2 (the 80s one) & 4 are fine, perfectly cromulent slashers. 3, while not a michael myers film (or a slasher), is as equally a masterpiece as the first. 5 is pointless. the producer's cut of 6 is okay (the theatrical version is literally nonsensical thanks to editing) but nobody giving a shit on set really shines through. H20 is also okay if a bit boring, and the latest one does it way, way better. resurrection will give you aids. haven't been able to bring myself to watch the rob zombie's.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:44 am 

Ok, so Alita: Battle Angel wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but goddamn it was close. I had low expectations to begin with, and it didn't even meet those.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:52 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I wouldn't say Zombie's Halloween movies are without merit, because both have some really great moments but fall apart as a whole. Tyler Mane is the most imposing and threatening Michael Meyers ever, and the brutality of his kills are virtually unmatched besides the bathroom scene of the latest reboot/sequel/blah blah. There's also a real urgency to Laurie's cries in the ER at the beginning of his H2, things I've heard a few times from being in the ER as a bystander. They aren't good, not even compared to his own creations, but they're better than half of the original series.

I don't think any of that stuff excuses how god awfully overlong they were, the constant pointless cruelty and irritation of every character making all of them actively painful to watch, and the general idea of giving Michael a big sad shitty backstory. Fuck those were horrible.

KomaOvTrollz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:23 am 

I’d still rather watch those in all their grindhousey imperfection than that by-the-numbers, safe as milk reboot from last year.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:29 am 

KomaOvTrollz wrote:
I’d still rather watch those in all their grindhousey imperfection than that by-the-numbers, safe as milk reboot from last year.

It was too safe, yeah, but it was still a better movie than a lot of the previous sequels. But the original was just one of those lightning in a bottle moments that stands alone. You don't really need anything else, I think.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:57 am 

Thought Midsommer was kinda lame. Honestly felt like Lost In Translation or Borat in its borderline fetishistic portrayal of 'dem kooky others' (in this case, Swedes) from a hyper American POV. Beyond the creepy fetishization, it basically stole all of the interesting emotional beats from the director's excellent debut (right down to the guttural wails while crying over familial loss) and most of its construction from Anthony Shaffer's (one of the greatest writers of the 20th century) masterful The Wicker Man. Was the 'Kid in a Bear Suit' bit a swing at the much-maligned Neil Labute remake?

It was still well-made but ultimately redundant, vaguely offensive, and heinously, obscenely overlong for how little it actually had to say. Watch Hereditary and The Wicker Man again instead.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:47 am 

I really enjoyed Shin Godzilla. That take on Godzilla managed to be both fresh and fundamentally faithful to the character. Godzilla as a horrifying engine of destruction (The first movie!) has always been my favorite.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:56 am 

KomaOvTrollz wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
It was too safe, yeah, but it was still a better movie than a lot of the previous sequels. But the original was just one of those lightning in a bottle moments that stands alone. You don't really need anything else, I think.

Agree on both points. RZ's at least stand out for how grimey they are, but last year's re-quel was a better made film in spite of it being boring and, ultimately, insulting. They got a bad performance out of Judy Greer, which I thought was impossible until that point, and its saving grace are three scenes (gas station, the trick or treat follow cam, and the motion lights).

If you have the original, though, you don't need any of the others.

In other news, Bone Tomahawk is a must-see. Kurt Russell is made for westerns and Patrick Wilson remains atop the list of "genre movie actors that deserve far better" for me.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:42 am 

I thought the new one had some engaging action once it got going. A nice look and feel to all of it and the climax was a lot of fun. It was sort of like the Black Sabbath '13' or Surgical Steel of the franchise - fanservice-y and safe, but fans liked it.

KomaOvTrollz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:26 am 

See I’ve always just been lukewarm on the original Halloween, so all the fan service stuff failed to dazzle me.

It’s funny about Midsommar though. Everyone seems to think one of the themes was “look at these whacky foreigners” but to me it seemed much more like Aster was saying “look at how domesticated and fucking clueless these Americans are”. Thought it was ok, like a 6 or 7 out of 10.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:54 am 

Saw Crawl over the weekend. I've seen more movies in theaters this summer than I think I did in the previous year. Still not a huge number. Crawl has some fun moments, the jump-scares actually fit this movie fairly well, and the alligator CGI was actually pretty impressive. Some action scenes a little silly and Barry Pepper is clearly some kind of immortal. Granted, since he seems to have survived Battlefield Earth, I guess his ability to withstand unimaginable horror was proven ages ago.

This movie begs the question, however: Why the fuck would anyone live in Florida?

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:31 pm 

edit

Last edited by StryckenFromHistory on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:03 pm 

Thanks for all the input folks. I don't have much time for movies these days, but I may check out the newest Halloween flick one of these days. :) But speaking of Rob Zombie movies, have y'all seen the trailer for his newest one, a sequel to The Devil's Rejects? It looks absolutely awful in every way possible. I've never had any desire to see any of his movies, but this one looks to be the worst of them all.

@acid_bukkake: Bone Tomahawk was great and I think all the actors in it did fantastic jobs. I'd love to see more flicks like that one get made.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:12 pm 

Zombie is...an interesting filmmaker. He's probably the only one whose grindhouse throwbacks actually feel like genuine grindhouse flicks, with Rodriguez and Tarantino offering satirical homages with a grindhouse influence rather than the real deal. I mean that wholly, too, because Zombie fits the aesthetic right down to the overall low quality and reliance on shock value. We need filmmakers like him around these days, honestly. Even his worst movies still offer something that is hard to find on any sort of major level, especially so in today's "everything must be PG-13" era.

Just because I think most of his movies are shit on the whole, though, doesn't mean there aren't some genuine diamonds.
-I will fight in favor of Lords of Salem more than I will against it
-The third act of 31 is some of the most spectacularly intense slasher horror I've ever seen (except for the positively awful conclusion)
-I've no qualms referring to The Devil's Rejects as a certifiable classic
-His Halloween remakes have some of the most vicious kills in the series
-House of 1,000 Corpses is too derivative plot-wise and feels like his music videos, but it's also a unique beast in how it all comes together
-Even The Haunted World of El Superbeasto has some ge finely hilarious moments, notably from Paul Giamatti as Dr. Satan

He just has these fatal flaws that he leans on as a crutch, and he's clearly doubling down on them instead of learning from his shortcomings. 3 From Hell looks like more of the same, buy at least Richard Brake keeps getting steady work.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:46 pm 

Devil's Rejects still holds up as a fun, well made and filthy bit of schlock that actually tries to humanize its characters in a weird way - I still like it. It seems to be a fluke as aside from House of 1000 Corpses being pretty OK, everything else I've seen is trash. Lords of Salem I guess looked nice but it was a lot of nothing - so boring to me. Didn't even bother with 31 yet. Kind of worried 3 From Hell will totally ruin that series.

Bone Tomahawk I remember being very good. You all gotta check out that guy's other movies, Brawl in Cell Block 99 and Dragged Across Concrete. Dude is totally legit and making movies in a way nobody else is. Some of it is totally out there on the edge and he just goes all in on the violence. It's fucking nuts. For all the talk about the gory kills in those Halloween remakes, this is the kind of ultraviolence I can gel with - despite this I may not watch em that often but still.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:42 pm 

Finally watched Errementari, the blacksmith and the devil. I expected to like it but wow, I adored it. There was a really obvious fakeout plot twist and then the actual story starts. It did so much I never expected. Including genuinely funny slapstick moments.

Can't wait to rewatch it with the better half.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:54 pm 

Brawl in Cell Block 69 is on my watchlist, but now I'm adding Dragged Across Concrete too.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:00 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Brawl in Cell Block 69 is on my watchlist, but now I'm adding Dragged Across Concrete too.

I think Dragged might be the worst one (some weird political type dialogue in the first act just kind of added a sour smell for me), and it also isn't as violent, but it's a real gritty, ballsy take on a detective flick and I liked that it did not compromise even a little bit. At least a solid 4/5.

Brawl... was apparently liked by some white nationalist type sites reading into it too much. Fucking weird. I didn't know that when I saw it and just took it as an ultraviolent revenge flick.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:30 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Finally watched Errementari, the blacksmith and the devil. I expected to like it but wow, I adored it. There was a really obvious fakeout plot twist and then the actual story starts. It did so much I never expected. Including genuinely funny slapstick moments.

Can't wait to rewatch it with the better half.

Yo, that movie's fucking dope. Dude who plays the caged demon does an absolutely wonderful job of acting through all that make up. It's a weird movie in the sense that you go in expecting a horror film and end up with a weird, off-the-wall, delightfully folklore-flavoured narrative.

Also, that ending is just fucking metal.
Dude just decides to go into hell carrying a blessed church bell to fuck them up for messing with his life? Absolutely loved that.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:45 pm 

FUCK YES, talk about a satisfying ending! Also some of the best practical effects/movie make up I've seen in a minute. It's likely destined to be a personal favorite.

Finding out Sartael is just some fucking scrub really opened a whole new world for me. Also the first scene with the chickpeas was hilarious.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:38 pm 

RIP Rutger Hauer :(
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:05 pm 

Essential Rutger Hauer viewings:
Blade Runner
Flesh + Blood
The Hitcher
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Blind Fury
Split Second
Hobo With a Shotgun

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:21 pm 

I've got to see some more of his movies. Blade Runner is classic and The Hitcher is a long time favorite. His performance in that is so damn good - chilling, unnerving and totally original. So fucking good.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:51 pm 

I haven't seen The Hitcher but should put that on my list! I always really enjoyed Ladyhawke too for its 1980s campy cheesy glory but regret ever watching Hobo With A Shotgun though; I walked out of the theater feeling dirty.

Buffy is a lot of fun though. Ha, I got the DVD for free for eating five boxes of cereal.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 736, 737, 738, 739, 740, 741, 742 ... 818  Next