Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lolpah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:34 pm 

bobbytanqueray wrote:
This may be a long shot, but does anyone know what the lyrics to "Misfit" by Fates Warning are based on? I swear they used to have this information on their website, but I guess they got rid of when they redesigned in (or maybe I'm just crazy).

Their website seems to be well documented on the Internet Archive, so you might want to search for it there.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:08 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Heat index is supposed to hit 104 today. My fiance is working a patio shift...so stupid.

Here in Rhode Island it's a high of 102 through Sunday. Mind you that on Sunday, it's also supposed to thunderstorm, so the humidity from that combined with the heat wave means that everything fucking sucks and I'm so happy electric is included in my rent so I can just keep my air conditioner on all day and not worry about the cost of doing so.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:17 pm 

Daaaaaaamn your electric is a covered utility? That is AMAZING. I pay for electricity AND there's no central A/C in our little apartment so it's just a window unit trying to keep us alive through all this swamp weather. I'm at the northern tip of the south (Louisville, Kentucky) and the humidity is DISGUSTING right now. You can chew the air, straight up.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:17 pm 

Now that FaceApp is all the craze, me and the boys were just cracking up completely. Couldn't resist tooling up Morgan Freeman. I haven't laughed this much in a while.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:25 am 

The new Possessed album has no right being as good as it is. It's actually surprising how much ass it kicks.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:36 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Svart/3540266776

This band is listed as "Split-up" even though it was only ever one guy. I know that's just the terminology Metallum uses, but I do find it kind of amusing.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:51 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:51 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The new Possessed album has no right being as good as it is. It's actually surprising how much ass it kicks.

I was expecting lots of generic open E-chord abuse, thus I was stunned at how wild and varied the riffs were. Really engaging.

Also, does it get any truer or grimmer than this?
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Unknown_Artist/3540455908

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:58 pm 

Before I heard the first single I figured it might be a real generic modern thrash album with Becerra's vocals over it, but so far I don't even hear one weak song.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:40 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:

Do they have any music on the cassette, or is that too mainstream?

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:47 am 

Hot, gross, muggy, and then stormy weather upended the plans I had for the weekend. The woman I'm seeing now sent her kids to stay with her dad so we could have a weekend together, our first such extended period of time (instead of a few hours in the evening). Because of the weather, we spent most of Saturday just chilling at my place, which was really relaxing. Then we went to see Crawl and had a fire, because the weather finally allowed it.

Hopefully the weather stays decent for a bit. The humidity was getting annoying.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:20 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:

I rather liked the Portuguese Unknown Artist (...should that even be capitalized?). I like the art on this one. Could be good!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:57 am 

Oh good lord... BoJo's the new PM of the UK... can't really decide if this is some kind of cosmic joke...

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:46 am 

matras wrote:
Oh good lord... BoJo's the new PM of the UK... can't really decide if this is some kind of cosmic joke...

Seems like England should've known better.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:50 am 

Like someone wrote on Twitter:
"Can't wait for the country to have a new prime minister that no one voted for to tell us repeatedly about how democracy must be obeyed."

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:05 am 

Was this really unexpected?

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:08 am 

Not really.. but it's still a catastrophy.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:50 am 

Watching this as an American is like watching your dad make the same mistakes you made. Isn't this shit supposed to be the the other way around?

At least Scotland will likely vote for independence at the next opportunity.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:58 am 

Yeah I think that's very likely. And now when a No-Deal Brexit seems inevitable, I think it will be pretty soon.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:54 pm 

Pointless comment of the day: Does anyone else hate those blow-a-puff-of-air-in-your-eye tests that you get at the eye doctor? I flinch so easily that they can never get a straight reading, so the doctor has to put this yellow goop in my eyes that numbs them (seriously, you could poke yourself and you wouldn't feel anything) so he can take a direct reading by moving this metal thing just over my eyeball. Shit's weird.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:16 pm 

I hate it so much that I just refuse. So I for sure have glaucoma. But yeah, I say no.

Last edited by Jonpo on Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:28 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Watching this as an American is like watching your dad make the same mistakes you made. Isn't this shit supposed to be the the other way around?

That's fucking brilliant.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:33 pm 

I buried my brother's cat this morning.

She was nearly sixteen years old and had been struggling over the past few weeks. Last weekend was my first weekend off in a while and I spent it trying to keep a room cool throughout the heatwave and getting her to drink water while thinking about getting her put down. She negated the decision yesterday after I went to work. She was curled up in a corner and I gave her a few pets and said goodbye before going to work. Came home to find her gone.

This morning I got up early and, just between rain storms, had a chance to dig a good mound for her. Put four bricks at the compass points, thankfully my house faces due north so that made it even easier. Then, with two bricks left I put them from north to south, a way to say that while above ground the sun goes east to west while the body in death goes downwards.

As crude as it is, it's the best I could do. It started pouring just after I finished and then here came work again.

RIP Gizmo. Her brother is fat, dumb, and happy, but now he's becoming my shadow. It looks like he's finally understanding that she's gone for good. They're both at that age, sixteen years, it's a good run for a cat.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:54 am 

Sorry to hear that, man. Losing pets is awful.

Duvall-era Alice in Chains has been active for longer than Staley-era AIC were, and has released just as many full-lengths. You're welcome.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:16 pm 

Mudvayne.

I don't want to post a whole band appeal, because I know that ship has sailed, but what exactly do we classify them as? I'm sitting here listening to The End of All Things to Come and I'm not sure how to describe it. I can agree that L.D. 50 was pretty much nu metal and that the stuff after Lost and Found turned more to grungy radio hard rock; however, that's still 2 albums that I don't think are nu metal and definitely aren't for the radio. The time signatures, the extensive structures, the lively bass work, the angularity of a few songs...

What would you guys call them? Specifically on The End of All... and Lost and Found.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:54 pm 

I think it kinda depends on how rigidly you view nu metal's constraints as a style. If it has to be the bouncy jumpdafuckup stuff then there really isn't a whole lot of it, but you can also argue that the later era of it was simply that, a different approach to nu metal.

Personally, I tend to consider "alternative metal" a real genre to help describe that sound that a lot of bands that started as nu metal eventually formed into. I view it like a hybrid style like metalcore or something where some bands (like System of a Down) are more metal than others (like Stone Sour). Late era Mudvayne slots nicely into that little niche I use.

And I don't know how much radio you listened to at the time but I definitely remember hearing the singles from those two albums (plus SOAD and Slipknot and many others from the era) being in fucking constant rotation on the rock stations at the time.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:36 am 

You're right, that's a useful niche to put them into. I don't hear much pure metal in those two albums either, just a few influences from prog and that...alternative scene. When I called Mudvayne's later era radio rock, I mean that it sounds like it's deliberately written for the radio, while the earlier stuff may have been played, but doesn't sound typically like what you'd expect on the radio. Also, rock on the radio in the UK mostly sucked during the mid-'00s when I was getting into metal, since we pretty much just had Kerrang! I don't think I discovered any cool music at all by listening to the radio.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:44 am 

So there's a band called PVRIS and now there's one called WRVTH. Are these two isolated incidents or is this "substitute A with V" an actual thing now? Will there be a band called DEVTH? Fucking imaginationless vssholes.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:49 am 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
So there's a band called PVRIS and now there's one called WRVTH. Are these two isolated incidents or is this "substitute A with V" an actual thing now? Will there be a band called DEVTH? Fucking imaginationless vssholes.

Why would the first band want to call themselves Paris? Isn't that probably a more likely "substitute V for U" switch. I imagine Puris probably means something in Latin.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:38 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Vigintiseptem wrote:

Why would the first band want to call themselves Paris? Isn't that probably a more likely "substitute V for U" switch. I imagine Puris probably means something in Latin.

No, they actually went by Paris, and changed the name for legal reasons.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chvrches

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:03 am 

man, raider klan hieroglyphics coming to other forms of music is wild as hell. spaceghostpurrp really was ahead of his time.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:46 pm 

New Shadow of Intent single today. They sem to have almost entirely abandoned Deathcore and are now just melodeath (I feel that to a decent amount of metalheads, that's not an improvement in quality, genre-wise). I think I might petition for their genre to be changed come album release...

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:54 pm 

Vadara wrote:
New Shadow of Intent single today. They sem to have almost entirely abandoned Deathcore and are now just melodeath (I feel that to a decent amount of metalheads, that's not an improvement in quality, genre-wise). I think I might petition for their genre to be changed come album release...

I knew there was a reason why they always came off as the only deathcore band that I could really get into, they've been flirting with outright melodeath for a little while, and frankly I think they're far too technically proficient to be continually cleaving to a style that general eschews virtuoso songwriting.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:06 am 

theposega wrote:
man, raider klan hieroglyphics coming to other forms of music is wild as hell. spaceghostpurrp really was ahead of his time.

Spaceghostpussy, I thought Black Land Radio 66.6 was wack, how did Ugly Mane even come through?

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:48 pm 

Emails by bands and persons are great these days ... not

Quote:
do you how to contact the band 14120912519?

How the hell am I supposed to know this? Correct a typo on an entry once and all of a sudden you know where the band members live, how they dine on a daily basis and what their band account number is? Yeah, right. I wonder whether more people have received this mail.

Quote:
hi there , will you write review for us <????? thanks

I had thought I had forgotten something. No, they want to have a new review. At least they provided the band name in the subject. Thanks for the consideration here. No download link or any other link... soe much for effort.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:05 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
rant about emails

Hey man! I hadn't seen you in a good while. Cool to see you're still around.

Yeah... I know what you mean. It's happened to me a couple of times. You make a minor update, or even add a band, and suddenly people start asking if you can give them the band's phone number and their supersecret band handshake.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:38 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
oneyoudontknow wrote:
rant about emails

Hey man! I hadn't seen you in a good while. Cool to see you're still around.

Thanks. What still strikes me is how many years have passed since I have registered. Damn.
I will have to write some reviews soon or rather get them completed. Bands that I have been in touch been for so many years will or already have released some (new) music. Feels like an obligation somehow.

OpsiusCato wrote:
Yeah... I know what you mean. It's happened to me a couple of times. You make a minor update, or even add a band, and suddenly people start asking if you can give them the band's phone number and their supersecret band handshake.

Who are we to give away the super secret hand shakes. Most of the times it'll costs you an arm, at times even a leg. Too precious to throw out these as freebies, then.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:22 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Who are we to give away the super secret hand shakes. Most of the times it'll costs you an arm, at times even a leg. Too precious to throw out these as freebies, then.
I concur in agreeance, my dear "Total Stranger".
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:10 am 

Going to be meeting the girlfriend's kids this weekend. And she'll be meeting my boy. Our kids are not remotely the same age, but younger kids always love my son so, should be fine.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:06 pm 

That should be fun. I hope it goes well!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219 ... 332  Next