Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MegaMal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:21 am 

https://www.facebook.com/mercyfulfateofficial/photos/a.10151042580320565/10162076268245565/?type=3&theater

Quote:
NEVER BREAK THE OATH

We will be playing an unspecified number of concerts throughout Europe during the summer of 2020, including COPENHELL.

It will be the “9” lineup, featuring:

Hank Shermann - Guitar

King Diamond - Vocals

Bjarne T Holm - Drums

Mike Wead - Guitar

with Joey Vera on the bass while Timi Hansen is away.

We asked Joey Vera (Armored Saint, Fates Warning) to fill in because he has a very unique style and sound playing with his fingers, much like that of Timi Hansen. This is very important, since the set list will only consist of songs from the very first “mini LP”, the “Melissa” album, and the “Don’t Break The Oath” album, plus some brand new songs written specifically in that very same style.

This will very much be Mercyful Fate as we were in the very beginning, except for a brand new major stage production.

See you at the Ruined Bridge.

Stay Heavy

Mercyful Fate

European tour! New material! Excitement!

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 am 

Hell, this sounds like the coolest thing. I thought they were buried (alive) forever, or at least in deep coma. New material in vein of the old stuff, yes please.

And new KD too. At least for now I'm not sad for living in these times.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:30 am 

Fuck, I'm pumped for this. Hope I can see them in Croatia.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:37 am 

God fucking damn...I had resigned myself that this would never happen. Talk about a gigantic surprise...especially the prospect of new material! Would be great if we got a new King Diamond and Mercyful Fate album both in the same fuckin' year...

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:38 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Hell, this sounds like the coolest thing. I thought they were buried (alive) forever, or at least in deep coma. New material in vein of the old stuff, yes please.

And new KD too. At least for now I'm not sad for living in these times.

Really, new KD plus awakened MF is such an amazing combo.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:34 am 

Not that I'm complaining (I'm basically stuck in squealing fangirl mode now), but why no Denner? He made those records with Shermann recently, so why not this? Nothing against Wead, mind you. I hope Hansen can make it too; his bass lines were always among my favorites.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:45 am 

The lack of Denner is a slight bummer but the prospect of new Mercyful Fate and King Diamond in the same year has me slightly giddy for 2020.

MegaMal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:47 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Not that I'm complaining (I'm basically stuck in squealing fangirl mode now), but why no Denner? He made those records with Shermann recently, so why not this? Nothing against Wead, mind you. I hope Hansen can make it too; his bass lines were always among my favorites.

He runs a record shop now, maybe he doesn't have time for it?

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:39 am 

Wow, this is great news! I'm super surprised that they're coming back. I've only been listening to them for 3-4 years now, so I never knew why they were on hiatus, anyone care to share?

Really cool that they'll be playing a bunch of the classics and writing in that style, I like all the Mercyful Fate releases, but the first E.P. is magic, and the first two LPs just built on the amazing sound that they already had. Super pumped for this! Hopefully they can make it over to America soon after. :wink:

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:45 am 

I heard Melissa for the first time, three times yesterday. It's a great record. Glad to hear this.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:03 am 

Been waiting for this news for so long. Wonder why they aren’t playing any “MKII” stuff though, there’s great stuff on those records :(

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:08 am 

The wording of the initial post makes me think Timi Hansen is officially "in" the band, but they're being respectful of his family/work commitments (which is why he's been an on-again-off-again musician since the late 80's). He will probably take part in whatever recording they end up doing. I love Mike Wead and the two albums they did with him, but yeah...Michael Denner is always ideal. His guitar style is very unique and distinctive, a huge part of the MF sound...he's currently doing a new band called Denner's Inferno (which Bjarne T. Holm is also part of) so hopefully things clear up for him down the line as well.

I also always find it funny, when people discuss doing a Mercyful Fate reunion, no one - band members or fans, ever brings up Kim Ruzz :lol:, like he's totally out of the question. I know he famously became a postman after leaving Fate, but he actually tried to return to the music scene a few years back (in a band called METALRUZZ or something similar), though I'm not sure if that went anywhere.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
Wow, this is great news! I'm super surprised that they're coming back. I've only been listening to them for 3-4 years now, so I never knew why they were on hiatus, anyone care to share?

I'm pretty sure it was just due to King wanting to focus on his own band. I mean, during the 90's he released 9 albums between the two bands...that's fucking crazy :lol:. On top of that, I know the two bands frequently shared billings on tours and festivals, meaning he had to perform twice in one day (which is seriously impressive given his vocal style). I think he just wanted to slow down to avoid getting burnt out, and the reason it hasn't happened until now is basically due to everyone in the band being busy with different projects.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:58 pm 

true_death wrote:
.he's currently doing a new band called Denner's Inferno (which Bjarne T. Holm is also part of) so hopefully things clear up for him down the line as well.

Damn, this song is actually really good! I didn't bother to check it out when the project was first announced but I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for this. Definitely more doom influenced than classic Fate but it's way more vibrant than those Denner/Shermann releases.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:11 pm 

hopefully they play more than a handful of shows and ideally some club shows too

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:31 pm 

I'm extremely disappointed that Michael Denner is not involved in this. He may not have written much music for the band, but his solos were always incredible. The guitar playing of Michael and Hank Shermann was right up there with Murray & Smith and Downing & Tipton on those 80's albums (and the first couple they did from the 90's). Such a shame he's not interested, because I'm quite sure he would've been asked. Maybe he can just be persuaded to perform on the new album, if it happens?

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:38 pm 

No Denner, No Mercyful Fate. Fuck Mike Wead!!!

...I mean, I love Mike Wead's work in King Diamond and he's a pretty great guitarist, but I can't fucking stand him in Mercyful Fate.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:37 pm 

MegaMal wrote:
He runs a record shop now, maybe he doesn't have time for it?

Can't be all that busy these days.
Hank Shermann and King isn't really MF to me.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:25 pm 

true_death wrote:
I also always find it funny, when people discuss doing a Mercyful Fate reunion, no one - band members or fans, ever brings up Kim Ruzz :lol:, like he's totally out of the question. I know he famously became a postman after leaving Fate, but he actually tried to return to the music scene a few years back (in a band called METALRUZZ or something similar), though I'm not sure if that went anywhere.

Kim Ruzz was definitely a piece of the puzzle as to what made Mercyful Fate so killer in the 80's. I knew more than one drummer tell me how much they love covering the MF stuff he performed on simply because it's so damn FUN to play what he did. He wasn't an Energizer Bunny, but the guy had tons of style which set him apart from a lot of other drummers. I'm not a drummer myself, but I get a sense as to where they're coming from...kinda busy, but not too much, so you can kind of hit a good groove for a bit before rolling into some 6/8 double bass pattern or whatever. Hell, "Satan's Fall" has some downright funky-ass shit goin' on.

As far as new songs, I'm wondering if he's going to go the full monty with the satanic occult lyrics like back in the day, or stick with the evil-lite and ghost story themes.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:48 pm 

Turns out the real reason Timi Hansen isn't fully involved is because he's currently battling cancer.

https://www.themetalvoice.com/single-po ... tvERUtQd28

Timi Hansen wrote:
“There are many questions about why I won't appear as part of the Mercyful Fate reunion in 2020. The honest explanation is simply that I am currently fighting a fight against cancer.
But believe me I will fight everything I can to be ready.

It's my big dream to be on stage again playing the old Mercyful Fate numbers in front of all of you very loyal fans.

If this wasn't going to happen, I'd like to ask you to take good care of Joey Vera.
I totally agree with King that he is a perfect "Stand in", so take good care of him ”
We wish all the top best for you Timi, you are strong and amazing, and we will see you soon"

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:32 pm 

Not good to read re. Hansen. All the best to him. Denner's absence is likely money related.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:56 pm 

Denner's Inferno sounds a whole lot better than the project he did with Sherman a few years ago. If they tour the USA, I'm all for it. But new music? Pass. King Diamond will always be the artist that made me a rabid metal fan, but I just can't get excited for new music. Just TOUR.

King Diamond headlining over Behemoth/Nile in 2005 was my first concert. I haven't managed to catch him since.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:42 am 

I all for new music too. Loving their last album, so if it's on the same level - hellcome!

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:45 am 

true_death wrote:
The wording of the initial post makes me think Timi Hansen is officially "in" the band, but they're being respectful of his family/work commitments (which is why he's been an on-again-off-again musician since the late 80's). He will probably take part in whatever recording they end up doing. I love Mike Wead and the two albums they did with him, but yeah...Michael Denner is always ideal. His guitar style is very unique and distinctive, a huge part of the MF sound...he's currently doing a new band called Denner's Inferno (which Bjarne T. Holm is also part of) so hopefully things clear up for him down the line as well.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was just due to King wanting to focus on his own band. I mean, during the 90's he released 9 albums between the two bands...that's fucking crazy :lol:. On top of that, I know the two bands frequently shared billings on tours and festivals, meaning he had to perform twice in one day (which is seriously impressive given his vocal style). I think he just wanted to slow down to avoid getting burnt out, and the reason it hasn't happened until now is basically due to everyone in the band being busy with different projects.

Regarding the MF hiatus, King Diamond was very upfront about the fact that he wasn't making money from MF (at least when they went on hiatus after "9").

The Kim Ruzz thing is curious but he really hasn't played professionally for decades (even that Metalruzz band didn't last that long). He was pretty critical of King's lyrics and imagery when Decibel did a Hall of Fame on "Melissa" and I remember reading an interview with King years ago where he said Kim Ruzz was one of the few band mates that he ever punched so maybe there is some bad blood there.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:51 am 

:hail: Please come to the States.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:48 pm 

Greatest news of the year. I wish Timi all the best in his fight and hope to see him healthy and on stage again very soon.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:58 pm 

Holy shit.

It was over 15 years ago I started listening to Mercyful Fate. I always dreamed of having the opportunity to see them live. Now, there's a chance that that might happen. Obviously Denner needs to be a part of this. No offense to Wead - he's awesome and his work in Mercyful Fate is underrated - but Denner and Shermann are like the moon and the sun. There's no sky without them. Fuck, let them do the Maiden thing where they have all three guys on stage, I don't give a shit. Timi is always vital, and I hope he does well. His bass playing is the most underrated part of the band's original stint. Absolute prime talent, and it's great to hear he's hungry to get back on stage. It sounds like they're doing an album, too.

This is the best thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:32 am 

Kim Ruzz needs to be part of this, too. Integral part of their sound... but King Diamond has shafted drummers since about 1989, so, oh well.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:01 pm 

Need to catch one of the concerts, will be my traveling priority next year!

FUCK YES, this is awesome news.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:27 pm 

I wonder how King Diamond sounds these days. Haven't heard him on anything since his last solo album ages ago now.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:29 pm 

Saw him live a few years ago, and he sounded amazing.
Best concert I have ever seen.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:31 pm 

forestcorpse wrote:

Good to hear - I wasn't sure since his voice seems like it may not hold up forever with age. Guess he's killing it at taking care of himself.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:24 am 

Empyreal wrote:
forestcorpse wrote:

Good to hear - I wasn't sure since his voice seems like it may not hold up forever with age. Guess he's killing it at taking care of himself.

He says that after quitting smoking some years back he sounds better than he has in years.

========================
Dead But Dreaming Black Metal Tape Distro
https://dbdblackmetaldistro.blogspot.com

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:47 am 

I'm massively stoked for this. So far they've announced Copenhell and Wacken only. Any guesses where the next big festival could be?
I'm having serious FOMO anxiety if the two fests get sold out while I wait in anticipation of the next ones.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:14 am 

judging by the KD "abigail" tour a few years back, they're not cheap to book, but that's big news, so I guess/hope more organizers will shell out... I'd expect Hellfest (no Manowar jokes please), Sweden Rock, at least one in the UK, and probably the US too?

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:52 am 

Damn, do I want to go solo to Wacken...

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:04 am 

I haven't listened to MF in forever... I would love to hear a new album, years ago I would listen to all the albums on repeat for hours. Glad to see these legends still kicking.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:21 pm 

aloof wrote:
judging by the KD "abigail" tour a few years back, they're not cheap to book, but that's big news, so I guess/hope more organizers will shell out... I'd expect Hellfest (no Manowar jokes please), Sweden Rock, at least one in the UK, and probably the US too?

A Bloodstock headlining set seems quite likely, I might have to go to that festival for the first time, if that's the case.

c_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:38 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

The one time I went to Wacken alone was the best experience I've ever had at there...

I booked my tickets a few minutes ago solely for the fact that Mercyful Fate is performing... (well... and since Judas Priest is my favorite band).
With the handful of bands already released, Wacken 2020 already looks better than the line-up from this year, which had a comically bad line-up.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:46 pm 

This is pretty awesome news. I generally prefer Mike Wead to Denner as far as soloing goes (though there's no question that Denner's songwriting has historically been stronger for MF than Wead) so I'm not too bugged by that change compared to most. I'm also a big Joey Vera fan so I'm excited to see how his tone and playing style adds to those classic songs, even if it's pretty upsetting that the cause of it is Hansen battling cancer and I hope he nips this one in the bud. He's no doubt a hard bassist to replace with all those classic melodic running lines he did (love his work in the solo section to Night of the Unborn especially), but Vera's the perfect choice to fill that void imo.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:18 pm 

c_ wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:

The one time I went to Wacken alone was the best experience I've ever had at there...

I booked my tickets a few minutes ago solely for the fact that Mercyful Fate is performing... (well... and since Judas Priest is my favorite band).
With the handful of bands already released, Wacken 2020 already looks better than the line-up from this year, which had a comically bad line-up.

Sold out and I passed. Too much instability with my work situation, I'll probably be somewhere else next year and not sure if taking a couple weeks in Europe would be viable.

Oh well. Yeah Mercyful Fate nearly sold it for me. I think I'm going to do some festival next summer but we will see what my options are. And heck, there are still tickets for Wacken out there though various means.

At least I have Full Terror Assault in a month to hold me over.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next