Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:52 pm 

I have seen numerous interviews from the likes of Autopsy, Deicide, Death, Massacre, Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, Gorguts, Entombed, Possessed, Repulsion...etc. All of them, especially Cannibal Corpse of course, have had violent horror movie themed lyrics at some point and in their interviews they always mention 70's and 80's slasher movies like the Friday 13th series or stuff like the Exorcist as lyrical influences yet no one ever says anything about movies like Men Behind the Sun, Salo (or the 120 Days of Sodom), and Cannibal Holocaust. Why is this the case? Men Behind the Sun, Salo (or the 120 Days of Sodom), and Cannibal Holocaust are way more brutal and violent than any 70's and 80's slasher movie so you would think the band who wrote the lyrics to "Hammer Smashed Face" would be citing Cannibal Holocaust (the movie name has the same ring as the band themselves with the word "Cannibal"!) as an influence as opposed to say Jason Voorhees. Men Behind the Sun, Salo (or the 120 Days of Sodom), and Cannibal Holocaust are also way more darker in atmosphere, especially the historical basis of Men Behind the Sun being about Unit 731. Cannibal Holocaust came out in 1980, Men Behind the Sun came out in 1988 and Salo came out in 1975 so those old school Death Metal musicians definitely could have seen these movies. Did they never see or hear about them because they never received wide releases due to them being banned and restricted due to their NC-17 ratings? It was a time before the wide use of internet, so I guess the chances of a young death metaller knowing about Men Behind the Sun would be slim? As opposed to an indie movie buff hipster aspiring filmmaker (someone like Quentin Tarantino) who probably would have known about a movie like Men Behind the Sun when it first came out in 1988?

I'm also really surprised that these OSDM bands didn't cite history in general as an inspiration for their violent lyrics (which I find very odd considering that one of OSDM's biggest musical influences, Slayer, was heavily inspired by history with their song "Angel of Death" and many others. Jeff Hanneman was also a huge history buff as well), as I believe history has had far more real life brutality and depravity in it than anything depicted in the slasher movies of the 70's and 80's.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:23 am 

Seems like you know the answer to your question

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:55 am 

Death's "Torn to Pieces" is based on Cannibal Holocaust, so there's one.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:07 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/I ... bale/34346

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:14 pm 

This song is about Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals aka Trap Them and Kill Them. By far one of the sleaziest cannibal films ever made, so yes some death metal bands definitely cited movies like Cannibal Holocaust.

It seems to be a common misconception that all death metal guys are massive horror fans rather than just having a casual or passing interest in horror movies. Take Cannibal Corpse for example. It's clear they're just into the shock value aspect so don't expect them to name drop to many obscure movies. Also, the average metal head at the time was far more likely to have seen F13th movies in the theater than find obscure Italian films (in most likely edited forms) on expensive VHS tapes.

untappd: patrick_g

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:24 pm 

I'd be surprised if Necrophagia didn't list that movie as one of their influences.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:32 pm 

I was just thinking that too. Killjoy was a huge slasher/gore movie fan and I'm fairly certain he had seen that movie and been influenced by it.

GoatBoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:01 pm 

true_death wrote:

Isn't it a retelling of the death scenes in Cannibal Ferox, also known as Make Them Die Slowly? They're different films based on a similar premise.

Flem Clone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:58 pm 

The NC-17 rating didn't exist until 1990. Cannibal Holocaust, at the time of its release, would've received an X rating. But, in all likelihood, it was probably released without a rating whatsoever.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:05 pm 

GoatBoat wrote:
true_death wrote:

Isn't it a retelling of the death scenes in Cannibal Ferox, also known as Make Them Die Slowly? They're different films based on a similar premise.

Maybe it is, I've never seen that. I always just assumed it was inspired by Cannibal Holocaust because of the overall theme.

Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:59 pm 

Flem Clone wrote:
The NC-17 rating didn't exist until 1990. Cannibal Holocaust, at the time of its release, would've received an X rating. But, in all likelihood, it was probably released without a rating whatsoever.

Do you know what kind of release Cannibal Holocaust had at the time of its release in America? Due to its extreme content what kind of movie theater would have shown it in 1980 in America? And who would have known the movie even existed then due to distributors being unable to promote the movie in the same way that say a mainstream movie was advertised back in those days.

Was Cannibal Holocaust only shown in “art house” “grind house” “indie” theaters in a seedy or hip and trendy part of major American cities in 1980?

I can’t find any information regarding what kind of release it had in America on the internet.

Flem Clone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:56 am 

Commisaur wrote:
Was Cannibal Holocaust only shown in “art house” “grind house” “indie” theaters in a seedy or hip and trendy part of major American cities in 1980?

I'm just speculating, but it was most likely limited to "grindhouse" and "indie" theaters located in the seedier parts of big cities.

Anyway, the Impetigo guys were clearly influenced by the Italian cannibal movies. Their "Ultimo Mondo Cannibale" album speaks for itself. I'll bet there are plenty of other bands if you dig around.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:59 am 

I Am the Law wrote:
I'd be surprised if Necrophagia didn't list that movie as one of their influences.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/N ... caust/8132

It may not be an old release but I think thats safe to say

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:49 am 

This thread got me thinking, since the OP mentioned Salo...what about the works of Marquis de Sade? His work is perfect for death metal - violent, blasphemous, gory, etc...and he's obviously far from an obscure or unknown figure (his name is where the word "sadism" originates from, dammit :lol:), but offhand, I can think of literally one band that has claimed inspiration from his work, that being the practically unknown Czech band DARK who released 1992's Sex 'n' Death. I understand there's not a huge overlap between death metal and classic literature, but it would still be weird as fuck if they were the only one. I'd be surprised if Benediction didn't have at least one song inspired by his work, given they're probably the most literary-focused death metal band out there, but I can't think of anything offhand.

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:44 am 

IIRC either Dave or Trey thanked Marquis De Sade in the "Covenant" thank list.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:21 pm 

true_death wrote:
GoatBoat wrote:
true_death wrote:

Maybe it is, I've never seen that. I always just assumed it was inspired by Cannibal Holocaust because of the overall theme.

Torn to Pieces is definitely about Cannibal Ferox. Also, Regurgitated Guts is about The Gates of Hell and Scream Bloody Gore is about Re-Animator.

@OP:
I may be wrong, but I think Cannibal Corpse don't usually takes direct lyrical inspiration from movies. Perhaps Slayer's Unit 731 was inspired by Men Behind The Sun, but I can't be 100% sure, even nowadays this movie is pretty obscure.
About Salo, I think most bands aren't inspired by it because it's more of an arthouse kind of movie, it's not that gory and it's shocking value comes from endless male nudity and scat. Most bands obsessed with horror like Mortician, Necrophagia, and Impetigo usually takes inspiration from ultra gory oldschool horror, non-gory brutal horror (Last House on The Left, I Spit On Your Grave, etc), hallucinatory European nonsense (Franco, Rollin) or other obscure cult stuff (Coffin Joe, Guinea Pig series etc)

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:40 pm 

The only band speaking clearly and loudly of gore films in their lyrics has been Rigor Mortis. If they hadn't spoken of a film you like it's because it doesn't supply enouvh violence

Reply to topic