Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:11 pm 

Quote:
Once again Mayhem is writing a new chapter in its 35 year history. We are excited to now have joined forces with Century Media and are eager to see what this partnership can do for us both in the future.

https://www.theprp.com/2019/05/08/news/ ... pean-tour/

I'm honestly kind of surprised that they're releasing new music, they were playing De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas live for years like their life depended on it (not sure if/when that stopped), and it's been 5 years since they put out Esoteric Warfare, which I listened to once, but to be honest I don't really remember it all that well. Perhaps they want to capitalize on potential extra attention that Lords of Chaos generated for them, might as well strike while the iron's hot! Nonetheless, I thought this was interesting news. We'll see what they bring to the table, I'll certainly check it out, but I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised! :thumbsup:

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:57 pm 

Well, it's tough to remember anything you listen to just once. I find Esoteric Warfare mostly pretty great & listen to it probably 10 - 20 times per year. But I'm one of those who likes pretty much everything post De Mysteriis (and probably Grand Declaration of War & Chimera most out of those).

But this is great news- I hope it's among their stronger releases & I would like it if they got a little more "back-to-basics"... If they stepped back a bit from the Ordo ad Chao/Esoteric Warfare direction, as those 2 do become a bit tedious at times in their "abstractness" (for lack of a better word).

It'd be nice to hear something very 'traditional' & straightforward from them.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:00 pm 

I'm completely indifferent to the label change but please, please, please, don't force Teloch or whoever has to compose the music this time around to imitate Blasphemer or anyone else. The main weakness I found in Esoteric Warfare was that so much of it felt like a pedestrian retread of Ordo ad Chao, only without the focus, drive and inspiration of the latter, mostly due to being a carbon copy. And no more stretches where the entire band plays a riff for 5-10 seconds and then stop abruptly, with a delay effect applied to all instruments; that trick got so ridiculously overused on the second half of EA.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:51 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
I'm completely indifferent to the label change but please, please, please, don't force Teloch or whoever has to compose the music this time around to imitate Blasphemer or anyone else. The main weakness I found in Esoteric Warfare was that so much of it felt like a pedestrian retread of Ordo ad Chao, only without the focus, drive and inspiration of the latter, mostly due to being a carbon copy. And no more stretches where the entire band plays a riff for 5-10 seconds and then stop abruptly, with a delay effect applied to all instruments; that trick got so ridiculously overused on the second half of EA.

:lol: Well articulated & I think I can more-or-less agree with this

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:36 am 

Can we force him to write like Euronymous this time?

Gods, it must suck to be in Mayhem...

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:56 am 

That would be just as bad.

To be clear: I don't think EA, or any post DMDS album, is automatically shite because it's different from the classics; I've actually enjoyed most of their output to varying degrees, so my main problem is not the style but the execution.

If they really wanted to regress to that kind of sound, their best bet would be to finally recruit Snorre Ruch. Considering it's been 22 years since Wolf's Lair Abyss and almost two decades since the only Thorns album, they obviously canned that idea. Fine for me. But don't bring new members in just to reduce them to a pale counterfeit of previous achievements. Just go all the way through, like when Blasphemer was placed at the helm.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:28 am 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
Well, it's tough to remember anything you listen to just once. I find Esoteric Warfare mostly pretty great & listen to it probably 10 - 20 times per year. But I'm one of those who likes pretty much everything post De Mysteriis (and probably Grand Declaration of War & Chimera most out of those).

I listened to it when I was going through their discography for the first time a few years ago. For whatever reason, it didn't make enough of an impression on me to return to it. I'll definitely give it another chance soon!

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:51 am 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
Well, it's tough to remember anything you listen to just once. I find Esoteric Warfare mostly pretty great & listen to it probably 10 - 20 times per year. But I'm one of those who likes pretty much everything post De Mysteriis (and probably Grand Declaration of War & Chimera most out of those). But this is great news- I hope it's among their stronger releases

Totally agree with this.

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
& I would like it if they got a little more "back-to-basics"... If they stepped back a bit from the Ordo ad Chao/Esoteric Warfare direction, as those 2 do become a bit tedious at times in their "abstractness" (for lack of a better word).

It'd be nice to hear something very 'traditional' & straightforward from them.

Don't exactly agree here. I wouldn't go so far to say that they should go more straightforward as much as just working to their strengths. Esoteric Warfare certainly had moments where it tried to be too abstract, and I think they could've ironed out some things on Ordo ad Chao too, but overall those albums seem to be perfectly on trajectory from Grand Declaration of War and Chimera.

I think Teloch possibly just needed to find his footing within the band. Taking over from Blasphemer is a pretty big fucking task. I was very fond of Nidingr's 2017 album The High Heat that Licks Heaven, for which Teloch did the guitar work, so I'm very optimistic about this new release.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:22 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:

This is a great way to describe the Esoteric Warfare album. Not bad per se but done before and tired and boring. Especially with Mayhem who has a such a diverse back catalogue where no albums really sound that much alike. But really this is their only misstep according to me since De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and one mediocre albums isn't a trend. I hope they manage to get back to being innovative and great.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:56 am 

Something like Chimera or the Wolf's Lair Abyss EP would be awesome, or Grand Declaration without the fluff. Their last 2 albums were disappointing to me. I know they're always evolving but I'd love to hear something closer to Chimera (I might be in the minority here) than the direction they've been heading. Time to give that album a spin now that I think about it.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:08 pm 

I can't really see them doing something like Chimera with Attila on vocals. I also like that album - it's a bit of a mixed bag but Dark Night of the Soul is easily one of my favorite Mayhem songs ever.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:17 pm 

Razakel wrote:
I can't really see them doing something like Chimera with Attila on vocals. I also like that album - it's a bit of a mixed bag but Dark Night of the Soul is easily one of my favorite Mayhem songs ever.

Yes but I can always dream lol

~Guest 523229
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:19 pm 

This band still exists? As far as I'm concerned, Mayhem died on August 10th of 1993.

BenjaminC81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:23 am 

VintermaneOfficial wrote:
This band still exists? As far as I'm concerned, Mayhem died on August 10th of 1993.

Talk about being narrow minded... Have fun listening to the same old album over and over again. God forbid you should actually explore a band and listen to their new music (unbiased of course).

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:29 am 

Not really understanding the people saying EW sounds like a copy of OAC. To me they sound totally disparate and distinct - maybe they have some similar moments, but it’s far from sounding exactly like it. EW has way more traditional riffing and structuring, more fast sections, if anything it sounds closer to Chimera. OAC has way more disjointed rhythms and song structures and emphasizes the atmosphere and production over the agresssion.

Idk, but a new album is dope news. Brang it.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:31 pm 

It's not quite a straight out copy, but it's easy to hear they were trying to replicate its general weirdness - hence all the sudden stops, stretches of silence, weirdly dissonant arpeggios, etc. The problem is that it sounds too obviously calculated, like they were forcing themselves to fit into that frame, and to me personally that negates the very basic ingredient of OaC: plunging headfirst into the unknown, no looking back, no direction sought, let alone given. You really can't have it both ways.

It's not a garbage album, and tracks like Milab and Posthuman definitely show they can still deliver. I just hope it'll be more substance than aesthetics this time around.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:49 pm 

hmi wrote:
Something like Chimera or the Wolf's Lair Abyss EP would be awesome, or Grand Declaration without the fluff. Their last 2 albums were disappointing to me. I know they're always evolving but I'd love to hear something closer to Chimera (I might be in the minority here) than the direction they've been heading.

This. I hated both OAC and EW, I think that direction sucks - not to mention the actual sound, especially on OAC, ugh. Chimera 2 would be fine by me.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:19 pm 

PluviaSomniums wrote:
Not really understanding the people saying EW sounds like a copy of OAC. To me they sound totally disparate and distinct - maybe they have some similar moments, but it’s far from sounding exactly like it. EW has way more traditional riffing and structuring, more fast sections.... OAC has way more disjointed rhythms and song structures and emphasizes the atmosphere and production over the agresssion.

I agree with this. I can't think of ANYthing else within the metal universe which is very similar to Ordo Ad Chao. And granted, I don't listen to it all that often, but whenever i do, it's a guaranteed mindfuck.

Whether or not they succeeded with what they set out to accomplish with it, who knows, only they can say. But they at least get an 'A' for originality with that one.

Esoteric Warfare utilizes some of the same dissonance & disjointedness in places, but it's nowhere near as overwhelming as it is on Ordo.

~Guest 523229
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:47 pm 

BenjaminC81 wrote:

Talk about being narrow minded... Have fun listening to the same old album over and over again. God forbid you should actually explore a band and listen to their new music (unbiased of course).

I mean, I have explored their later material before and I wasn't impressed, but sure thing.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:27 pm 

I'll have to listen to Esoteric Warfare again because I haven't listened to that in a long time. I'll keep my ears out for new Mayhem all the same.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:50 am 

BenjaminC81 wrote:

I mean, I have explored their later material before and I wasn't impressed, but sure thing.

So you do know they still exist. What a relief, I thought you originally made some solipsistic statement to wish their existence away. It's fine not liking them anymore, as long as you're able to engage with reality and realize that the band very much didn't die on that day, not even figuratively.

BodomSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:49 pm 

EpicSceptic wrote:
BenjaminC81 wrote:

So you do know they still exist. What a relief, I thought you originally made some solipsistic statement to wish their existence away. It's fine not liking them anymore, as long as you're able to engage with reality and realize that the band very much didn't die on that day, not even figuratively.

Am I in the minority when I say I like Mayhems latter out put more than their earlier stuff? I was pumped to find De Mysteris Dom Sathanas 10 years ago but found it to be very underwhelming.

For the topic at hand I am excited to see what they do next.

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:26 am 

I like, if not love, every Mayhem album, EP and single I’ve listened to. Whilst it’s cliche my favourite vocalist is Dead, but after that Attila before Maniac.
New Mayhem is good by me, I really liked Esoteric Warfare, they’ve been doing a lot of retrospective stuff (the film, Necrobutcher’s book, every interview Attila winds up doing when he’s working with Sunn O)))) so it seems like it could be interesting. All these articles going round about how they’ve always been experimental and never been a straight black metal band too.
Plus new Darkthrone this year, so good for classic Norwegian black metal fans.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 am 

I stand by Grand Declaration of War as the best Mayhem album - and the remaster makes it a little more organic, which I like and consider different from the original, very robotic sounding production.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:26 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
I stand by Grand Declaration of War as the best Mayhem album - and the remaster makes it a little more organic, which I like and consider different from the original, very robotic sounding production.

GDOW is a great album, but the more I listen to the remaster, the less I like it. The remaster took away a lot of the power from the tom sound - they should have sounded something like Kiss's "Creatures of the Night." The "beefier, deeper" snare sound is a miss versus the flatter, crisper sound of the original - say, the original sounds like a 14 by 3 snare, the new one like a 14 by 8 snare. I would have gone for a 14 by 4.5 sound. The bass is also a tad too high in the mix.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:22 am 

BodomSlayer wrote:
Am I in the minority when I say I like Mayhems latter out put more than their earlier stuff? I was pumped to find De Mysteris Dom Sathanas 10 years ago but found it to be very underwhelming.

For the topic at hand I am excited to see what they do next.

You probably are in the minority but I definitely see where you're coming from. For me the only full length I don't really like is Esoteric Warfare but if we count EP's I absolutely don't like Deathcrush. Esoteric Warfare is mostly boring to me while I find Deathcrush to be actively bad. Thats their first and their most recent release. Everything in between I like to varying degrees.

DMDS is a great album, even though the vocals are still a bit to theatrical for me, but the albums I most often go back to are GDoW and OaC. And I also love WLA. To me Mayhem is one of those bands that have a ridiculously high standard with their music. That is quite remarkable since most of their stuff is so distinct. It's not like they found a winning formula and kept going with it. They keep developing and trying new things, mostly to great results.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

CarlLSanders
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:16 pm 

I liked Esoteric Warfare; much moreso than the pop-y Chimera, somewhat less than the wonderful WLA.
I also liked their Live show on their most recent US Tour; not so much the presentation in 2009.
Sure they still play the stuff from DMDS; why disappoint folks who cut their BM teeth on that recording?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:48 am 

Well, more info / track list / cover art is here:

01. The Dying False King
02. Agenda Ignis
03. Bad Blood
04. Malum
05. Falsified And Hated
06. Aeon Daemonium
07. Worthless Abomination Destroyed
08. Daemon Spawn
09. Of Worms And Ruins
10. Invoke The Oath

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mayhem ... n-october/

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:30 am 

Mediocre title, good artwork, we'll see...

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:19 pm 

Really dig the album artwork, surprised they released another album, definitely thought they were done after Esoteric Warfare. Should be interesting.

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:31 pm 

I've heard snippets from the recording session videos they posted on facebook...it does really sound pretty good.

( https://www.facebook.com/mayhemofficial ... 540169946/ )
( https://www.facebook.com/mayhemofficial ... 619763098/ )

Last edited by Damballah on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:34 pm 

Not surprised at all another Mayhem is coming out. The artwork is a little cheesy, reminds me of Diablo 3 act 3, but still decent. Esoteric Warfare was decent, but nothing particularly memorable either. I'll give this a listen for sure though.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:18 pm 

I like the snippets I’m hearing and it does sound like they are doing a mesh of DMDS with some of their newer flourishes. Should be interesting.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:39 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

I could never get past all the weird vocals in this album, not sure if I ever even made it all the way through. I didn't give their last 2 much of a chance either. Maybe I should try again? Are there certain songs on GDoW that I should check out?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:43 pm 

Yeah, I wasn't super into Esoteric Warfare, but I'm still excited for this.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:44 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Maybe I should try again? Are there certain songs on GDoW that I should check out?

If you found it a chore to get through the whole album before, it could be worth to give it another go. It has been remastered/remixed (greatly improved in my opinion), and it's on Season of Mist's YouTube channel.
If you want individual track recs, I'll say just dive straight into the weirdest deep cuts.
To Daimonion: https://youtu.be/nhaQBTaTCzk
Bloodsword and a Colder Sun 2: https://youtu.be/a0jWoEThzDg

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:58 am 

I quite liked Esoteric Warfare but I also hope that they go back to more riff based music and going by the samples this might actually be trve! The song titles also give me an oldschool feel compared to the last two albums.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:28 pm 

raumr wrote:
If you found it a chore to get through the whole album before, it could be worth to give it another go. It has been remastered/remixed (greatly improved in my opinion), and it's on Season of Mist's YouTube channel.
If you want individual track recs, I'll say just dive straight into the weirdest deep cuts.
To Daimonion: https://youtu.be/nhaQBTaTCzk
Bloodsword and a Colder Sun 2: https://youtu.be/a0jWoEThzDg

I listened to most of GDoW and OAC yesterday and thought they were both pretty cool. I used to think anything that wasn't just pure harsh vocals sounded stupid in black metal, but I don't mind so much anymore. Both albums will take a number of listens to really figure out I think. I listened to Chimera a good amount when it came out and liked it a lot, unlike most of the internet at the time. I remember everyone saying how bad and "fake Mayhem" it was, and years later people seem to like it finally!

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:05 am 

I like the artwork, the title (interesting it isn’t a sentence or incorrect Latin) and the song titles. Those riffs make it seem more conventional but that’s a snippet of a glance.
I like Mayhem at their experimental, testing side of things as much as their “We wrote the book, let’s remind you what Norwegian black metal sounds like” end of things.
I’ve never heard anything by them I disliked so yeah, this is all good by me.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:44 am 

i haven't got into a mayhem record in years, will give this a go

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next