Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:41 pm 

Like 2% of my overall sports interest is dedicated to basketball, and it's been hard to give a shit about the Bulls since Rose fell apart and Butler went away, but even I'm pulling for Toronto just because I like it when other teams win. It was really exciting when the Curry era took off and Golden State finally got good, but it's been five years in a row now so I'm officially bored of their new dynasty.

Plus I'd just find it incredibly lulzy if Canada finally won another championship and it wasn't the Stanley Cup.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:20 am 

The Mariners are the worst team in baseball, and it's not close. That this... THING didn't even surprise me speaks volumes. This defense is impossibly bad.

https://bdata-producedclips.mlb.com/b3b ... 7vOtVOMNEM

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:28 pm 

Kyle Lowry falls onto courtside spectators while chasing loose ball, some guy slaps/shoves Lowry’s shoulder. Turns out, guy is on the Warriors’ board of executives :lol:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... ?cmpid=rss
I mean yeah, it’s pretty weak sauce, but still. When part-owners of the team behave that way, it’s hard to fathom anyone else in the world outside Oakland who’s even marginally interested in basketball, would not support the Raptors in this series!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:54 pm 

Warriors looked like a JV team with two of their big stars not suited up yesterday. With Durant gone, it changes the equasion considerably in Toronto's favor, but with Durant AND Thompson gone, it basically re-writes the equasion in Toronto's favor.

If one (or both) players do not return to the lineup by the next game, then Toronto will win this series easily- regardless of who supports the Raptors or who does not.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:40 pm 

English Rugby League One approves relocating the Hempstead Stags - to of all places: Ottawa, Ontario! :eek: https://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/govern ... 1.23827849

That is so damn cool! Starting in 2020 (maybe ‘21), Ottawans can pretty much experience time travel at Frank Clair Stadium. In the same weekend, at the same place, we can see modern Canadian football and rugby league, which is basically embryonic Canadian football pre-1905. I am massively stoked over this!!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:25 am 

Canadian politeness goes so far you let the Warriors win, that's so sweet of you.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:25 pm 

NBA admits foul should have been called for Marc Gasol being knocked down with :49 left - in what ended up as a one-point game! https://preview.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nh ... vi-AACMoEs
:grr: The Larry O’Brien Trophy should already be parading down the streets of Toronto. This is no time for Canadian politeness. We got bullshitted (bullshat?)

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 pm 

There were controversial calls on both sides in that game. The one where they said, I think it was Looney but I cant remember who, touched the rim on an assist even though the replay showed he didn't- that cost the Warriors a critical basket in that last minute.

Plus, Draymond Green seems to always get fouls called against him simply because, well, he's Draymond Green.
You could probably run up to Green and tackle him to the ground from behind and then commence rabbit punching him, and they'd probably call the technical foul on Green, because they'll say he provoked the guy to tackle and punch him, or something.
Officials just don't like him. He loudly protests too many calls, so that's probably why.

I've already seen a couple times in this series where Green got knocked on his ass and still got the foul called against him- despite the fact that he was the one who got knocked down.

Either way, the Raptors are clearly the better team, and even if they don't win tonight (as they should) I can't honestly envision a scenario where they don't win game 7 handily, at home.
It'd be kind of cool to win it in front of their home fans and home country.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:59 pm 

Great win by the Raptors!

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:19 am 

Yeah, it was indeed.
I'm kind of stoked for Canada, and for their fans, even though as a former Bay Area native, I gotta admit I was actually rooting for Golden State. When Thompson went down though, that was kind of the nail in the coffin for them.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:25 pm 

In Sweden rugby isn't a big thing - its hardly a thing at all. I discovered the first a couple of world cups ago but never got into anything other than national team rugby (and usually only around the world cup). Recently You Tube has recommended me HSBC World Rugby Women's Sevens Series and I quite like it. Fast paced and really short matches but it the tournament just keeps going throughout the day so I can watch whenever I have some time over.

I have no idea what the quality is like, I haven't seen enough rugby to be able to judge that. How are these teams compared to rugby union or rugby league national teams? And how is women's rugby coming along in general?
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:14 pm 

InnesI wrote:
In Sweden rugby isn't a big thing - its hardly a thing at all. I discovered the first a couple of world cups ago but never got into anything other than national team rugby (and usually only around the world cup). Recently You Tube has recommended me HSBC World Rugby Women's Sevens Series and I quite like it. Fast paced and really short matches but it the tournament just keeps going throughout the day so I can watch whenever I have some time over.

I have no idea what the quality is like, I haven't seen enough rugby to be able to judge that. How are these teams compared to rugby union or rugby league national teams? And how is women's rugby coming along in general?

My understanding is that Sevens teams can play by either Union or League rules. So basically there are four different games called rugby: 15-player Union, 7-player Union, 13-player League or 7-player League.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:40 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
My understanding is that Sevens teams can play by either Union or League rules. So basically there are four different games called rugby: 15-player Union, 7-player Union, 13-player League or 7-player League.

Nice!

From the little I've seen I prefer 15-player Rugby Union style matches but Rugby in general is a very spectator friendly sport. Lots of excitement, hard hits, fast pace and tactics. I'm a little bit surprised it is so condensed to not that many nations playing it (or at least being good at it). Granted it is huge in the commonwealth and some other countries but very much non-existing in many other parts. Seems like a game that can be played in almost any climate as well and not, like ice hockey, being dependent on a rink (and usually countries that have colder winters in general for there to be enough interest in a national league).
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:27 pm 

Some of that could be due to Rugby Union’s past rigid adherence to its amateur roots - there was no professional Rugby Union until 1995. So the sport became pigeonholed as one for the connoisseur. Kids from the slums couldn’t aspire to play their way out of poverty like they could with soccer. (Rugby League has paid its players for well over 100 years, and that was even the reason for the split in the sport back then, but if people didn’t know that, League probably got less popular exposure just by association with Union.)
Other than that, I fully agree. There’s no reason why one sport born in early-mid 19th century England should have captured Europe’s (and everyone else’s) attention, while the other has only managed to be a distant second sport in Romania, Italy and France; and the obsession of a few Pacific islands.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:15 pm 

Oh hell yes! :eek: MLB has allowed the mostly-ignored Tampa Bays Rays to “explore the possibility” of splitting seasons between TB and Montreal. Which would hopefully lead to a full permanent relocation: https://montrealgazette.com/sports/base ... ntreal/amp

Now the jackass mayor of St Petersburg, Fla might stubbornly hold this up, because the Rays have a lease agreement with the city at that godawful, bizarrely-designed and distantly-located Tropicana Field until 2027. But come on - this same administration has consistently dragged its feet on building something new and better for the Rays in the Tampa area, and we’re expected to believe te mayor’s now “committed to baseball in Tampa Bay for generations to come”?
Me arse! Step aside! MLB = Montreal Loves Baseball

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:58 pm 

I'm not sure MLB would work in Montreal. After all, the Montreal Expos relocated to Washington only one and a half decade ago because attendance figures were abysmal. I don't see why that would be different fifteen years later. Sure, maybe there would be bigger crowds in the first few years because it's something new but the same old problems would come back haunting the franchise after half a decade or so. The idea to split seasons between Saint Petersburg and Montreal is also ridiculous. Keep the team in Florida or move it to Quebec but splitting seasons is a stupid idea in the first place. Plus, the team would probably play in the Olympic Stadium right now which is one of the ugliest stadiums I have ever set foot in and looks like a Soviet fallout shelter. Instead of bringing back ideas that already didn't work in the past, Montreal could maybe try to get ready for an expansion spot in the NBA one day. There were thousands of people cheering for the Raptors in Montreal and considering the fact that team is from Toronto, it probably means the city is ready for professional basketball.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:09 am 

Yeah, the whole "split home" thing is sure to fail, I think. Some ex-MLB'ers were talking on the Yankee broadcast about moving their families three times a year (Off season, spring training, regular season) and pulling their kids in and out of three schools in a year. I don't think many players would want to do that an extra time. And that's if they decide to split the season in half (I'm guessing they would actually have it all year round, though. Example, 7 home games in Tampa, 7 game road trip of 4 in New York, 3 in Boston, 7 home games in Montreal). It just feels stupid. Two of the biggest problems in Tampa are how terrible Tropicana Field is, and that it's located in the middle of nowhere. Maybe moving the team directly into Tampa OR Orlando would be a better option? If it was in Orlando, you may get a lot more tourists coming to baseball games, as well, packaging seeing their favourite team along with a trip to Disney?

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:47 pm 

Babe Ruth vs Ted Williams. Ruth hit against no middle relief pitcher, no bullpen, the same 7 teams, no blacks or latin players which is 40% of baseball today. You bring Mike Trout to that era and he would be banned. You bring Ruth here today he is a 250 avg hitter, probably better pitcher than hitter.

Williams on the other flip side of the coin. Ted Williams was and is the greatest hitter ever. What would his stats have been had he not fought in 2 wars? Maybe 750 bleeping home runs?

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:25 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Babe Ruth vs Ted Williams. Ruth hit against no middle relief pitcher, no bullpen, the same 7 teams, no blacks or latin players which is 40% of baseball today. You bring Mike Trout to that era and he would be banned. You bring Ruth here today he is a 250 avg hitter, probably better pitcher than hitter.

Williams on the other flip side of the coin. Ted Williams was and is the greatest hitter ever. What would his stats have been had he not fought in 2 wars? Maybe 750 bleeping home runs?

Ruth would struggle to hit above 100 if he magically was brought here today imo. Pitchers threw in the mid 80s back then, and I doubt there off speed pitches were very impressive. Pitching today is ridiculous.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:40 am 

Man, really no love for cricket in this thread. Anyway, congratulations England!

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:36 pm 

Burnyoursins wrote:
Man, really no love for cricket in this thread. Anyway, congratulations England!

I was keeping up with the World Cup. Our time zone meant that I couldn't really watch much of it, but I watched what I could. It was a very good series and the fact that Australia made it as far as they did was pleasing to me. I'm bummed that I couldn't watch all of the final because it would've been thrilling. England played great.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:14 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:

I was keeping up with the World Cup. Our time zone meant that I couldn't really watch much of it, but I watched what I could. It was a very good series and the fact that Australia made it as far as they did was pleasing to me. I'm bummed that I couldn't watch all of the final because it would've been thrilling. England played great.

Australia killed it for the vast majority of the tournament. They just ran into an England team who was suddenly unstoppable. The matches started at around 3:30am my time, but the channel I watch for cricket basically runs hour long highlights all day long after the match is finished, so I caught most of the eventful stuff.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:35 pm 

Folks, it’s July 20 and what a momentous day that is! Vladdy Jr hit his first Major League grand slam tonight :thumbsup:
https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/vladimir-g ... -slam.html
Hehe, you thought I was talking about something else... but this moon shot actually happened :tinfoil:

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:07 pm 

Miraculous comeback by the Jays! Down 9-3 to start the 8th, and Teoscar Hernandez hit the walk-off homer in the 12th :thumbsup: Never say die!

Roktan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:54 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
The Mariners are the worst team in baseball, and it's not close. That this... THING didn't even surprise me speaks volumes. This defense is impossibly bad.

I disagree. The Orioles are the worst. They've given up more home runs than anybody, on pace to give up the most in history. They have close to, if not the worst record. Mind you this is after having a horrible record last year. Their defense is atrocious.

This clip sums up their season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE8gF-1D5Mg

YouTube channel of vocal covers and stream uploads: https://www.youtube.com/user/Roktan
Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/redlightroktan
Twitter: @RedLightRoktan

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:41 pm 

In terms of their record, the Mariners are the "best of the worst" so to speak. Yeah they are last in their division, but there are actually a few teams, including the hapless Orioles, who are decidedly worse than they are. I believe Detroit is at the absolute bottom of the standings in the major leagues though, in terms of win-loss record.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:46 pm 

Anyone watching the Ashes? Australia were down and out until Steve Smith became a one-man ex-machina and saved our asses. Probably not enough to win but enough to be competitive.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:04 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Anyone watching the Ashes? Australia were down and out until Steve Smith became a one-man ex-machina and saved our asses. Probably not enough to win but enough to be competitive.

I caught some highlights. The Aussies looked like they were taking a one-way ticket to Shit City for awhile there. Fuckin' wickets left right and center.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:21 am 

Burnyoursins wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I caught some highlights. The Aussies looked like they were taking a one-way ticket to Shit City for awhile there. Fuckin' wickets left right and center.

Indeed, they played really bad. Unbelievable how many wickets they lost early. Our time zone means I won't get to watch much of it, but hopefully Australia improves dramatically.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:41 pm 

Well the Jays blew a six run lead to the Tampa Bay Rays future Montreal Expos again. But Bo Bichette became the first player in MLB history to record 10 extra-base hits in his first 9 games. :beer: This team has the potential to be great in the near future, as long as we pick up a couple competent starting pitchers - I’m optimistic about Jacob Waguespack, but that’s about it for now.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:38 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Well the Jays blew a six run lead to the Tampa Bay Rays future Montreal Expos again. But Bo Bichette became the first player in MLB history to record 10 extra-base hits in his first 9 games. :beer: This team has the potential to be great in the near future, as long as we pick up a couple competent starting pitchers - I’m optimistic about Jacob Waguespack, but that’s about it for now.

If they're not back in the running in 3 or 4 years, some fucking serious mistakes have been made. I'm definitely not sold on the return for Sanchez and Biagini, unless that dude turns into fucking Kevin Pillar in the outfield and hits a solid .250 at the plate. I'll reserve judgement and enjoy watching the youngsters blow the lid off the ball for now, but if we're not in the race again 3 or 4 years from now, I think it's going to be another long 22 fucking years.

Anyone else enjoying the fine cricket on display at the GT20 Canada 2019? I think this is the first year they've held it(?).

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:52 am 

Well we were not likely to get much back for Sanchez with his ongoing injury trouble, but to also throw in Biagini for one outfielder was a head scratcher. I’m not inspired with confidence by the wholesale gutting of the pitching staff over just two years.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:19 pm 

What the Yankees have been able to do decimated by injuries this season is remarkable.

Currently still hurt:
Greg Bird (played in only 10 games, probably out for the season)
Luke Voit (2 stints on the IL, still out)
Edwin Encarnacion (still out, maybe out for the season)
Miguel Andujar (played in only 12 games, out for the season)
Aaron Hicks (2 stints on the IL, including now probably out for the season)
Jacoby Ellsbury (LOL. Hasn't played since 2017. Still on the shelf)
Giancarlo Stanton (2 stints on the IL, still out. Has only played in 9 games)
CC Sabathia (2 stints on the IL, still out with knee discomfort)
Luis Severino (ace of the staff, hasn't pitched a single inning in 2019)
Dellin Betances (one of the best arms out of the pen, hasn't pitched a single inning in 2019)
Ben Heller (promising young arm, hasn't pitched a single inning in 2019)
David Hale
Jonathan Loaisiga (2 stints on the IL)
Jordan Montgomery (still recovering from TJ surgery. Hasn't pitched an inning in 2019)
Stephen Tarpley

---
Not to mention these players WERE on the shelf this year:
Gary Sanchez (Twice)
Didi Gregorius (Officially on the IL once, also missed almost a week of games with a finger ligament injury)
Brett Gardner
Aaron Judge
Cameron Maybin
Masahiro Tanaka
James Paxton
Domingo German

AND Troy Tulowitzki played in 5 games before getting hurt and retiring. I may have even missed some! That's how bad it's been. I don't ever recall seeing anything like this. No one is going to feel sorry for the yankees, and boy would it be a totally different story in the Bronx if the team had tanked. I Just don't understand how they have continued to win at such a torrid pace. I understand the AL East isn't exactly GREAT this year (all those games against Baltimore helped), but everything on paper says Boston SHOULD be better than they are, and the Yankees should not even be NEARLY as good as they've been, let alone one of the best records in baseball. Fun to watch as a fan, that's for sure.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:31 am 

They can't as a team continue on this pace. Simply too many injuries. Keep in mind there are still over a month and a half worth of games left and its still possible the red sox can become much better because of all the time that is left. Not nearly as many injuries for Boston and given the way the pitching has severely under performed ALL season that has to change at least a little.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:08 am 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
They can't as a team continue on this pace. Simply too many injuries. Keep in mind there are still over a month and a half worth of games left and its still possible the red sox can become much better because of all the time that is left. Not nearly as many injuries for Boston and given the way the pitching has severely under performed ALL season that has to change at least a little.

I 100% agree. However I think Boston is too far back to win the division. I think they do sneak in as a wildcard team and eventually go further than the yankees, though. I get the feeling the Yankees will start to leak oil within a couple weeks, still win the division by a handful of games, but limp into the playoffs and a first round exit.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:53 am 

Red Sox pitching woes have really put them in the hole, and I agree in thinking that a division title is out of the question. If their bats can stay steady and the bullpen decides to show up in a majority of the remaining games, a wildcard berth seems likely being that they're only 8.5 games out at this point. Can't have anymore four-up-four-down streaks from here on out, though.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:57 pm 

That’s that. The Ottawa Redblacks are now Canada’s Buffalo Bills. Amazing defence, ass-worthless offence. Two end zone interceptions this week - that’s 12 points the defence literally took off the board. Know how many our own attack out up? Two jeezus FG. :annoyed:

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:04 am 

Add Thairo Estrada to the list of injured yankees. Another back-up player hurt.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:52 am 

:ah-ha: Raiders and Packers played a pre-season game in Winnipeg last night. Seems the Blue Bombers grounds crew did an inadequate job of turfing over the holes where the goalposts usual sit in a CFL game; so the NFL decided to lop off the end zones and play on an 80-yard field:
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5257065
CFL = Cruddy Field League?

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:48 pm 

Anyone play fantasy? I just had my first college fantasy draft, and I'm in my third year of NFL fantasy. It's a great facilitator of hang outs and shenanigans for 17 weeks.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 136  Next