Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ColdVoice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:11 am 

Hi!
I tried to add a band, but got a message up that the band was blacklisted.
Fair enough, but my question/request is this;
Would it be possible, when trying to add a bband and getting the feedback that said band is blacklisted, to also have the reason for the blacklisting shown?

Current version:
Warning: a band called "xxx" (US) has been blacklisted! Your submission will not go through, unless your band comes from a different country; select the country in the drop-down to verify.
If you think this is an error, please create a thread in this subforum (read the "rules" thread first). Attempting to circumvent the blacklist is a bannable offense. Thank you.

My suggestion:
Warning: a band called "xxx" (US) has been blacklisted due to (whatever reason)!

I think this would save a lot of posts in the "band appeals" forums, whilst at the same time giving a clue to what is needed to (if possible) whitelist the band.

(PS! Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post it in)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:30 am 

It's been suggested before and I would agree as to its usefulness. It should be easy enough to implement, to just automatically have the entered reason show up. There's just two problems right now: a) not all entries have a note attached (it used to be optional until 2011 or so) b) for a lot of entries the, hmmm, tone of the note is not always appropriate or even helpful; knowing that that field is for mod eyes only, staffers can sometimes be a bit colourful or opaque with it. :P

But yeah, in principle I would agree; just a quick visible note would save time for all involved (though it might not actually deter as many people from posting anyway as you'd think). For the time being, don't hesitate to create a thread in Appeals if you're curious about the reason.

ColdVoice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:45 pm 

Nah, for the band I tried to submit at least I quite agree they shouldn't be on here after checking them out a bit more! ;)

Dickpenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:32 pm 

Maybe the display of the reason can be kind of faded in.
Azmodes wrote:
a) not all entries have a note attached (it used to be optional until 2011 or so)

No problem t give "Reason: No reason given" instead for the empty ones imo.
Azmodes wrote:
b) for a lot of entries the, hmmm, tone of the note is not always appropriate or even helpful; knowing that that field is for mod eyes only, staffers can sometimes be a bit colourful or opaque with it. :P

A note could be given to the mods to write the comments in a way appropriate to be published from a certain day on.
For the old comments: The most used reasons could be dealt with automaticly, for the rest refered to the forums.

Pseudocode for the display of the comments might be something like
Code:
if(rejection.comment == "")
    display("No reason available")
elseif(rejection.comment.date > 2019-10-10)
    display(rejection.comment)
else
    switch case(rejection.comment)
        case("mallcore")
            display("The genre of this band does not meet the focus of this site")
        case("no releases")
            display("No valid releases at the point of blacklisting")
        case ...
        else("Please ask on the forums for the reason")
    end
end

And if some people have too much time on their hands, existing comments could be flagged as appropriate/unappropriate/undecisive to determine if they could be shown publicly.

btw, how many entries does the blacklist have?

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:38 pm 

19714 entries. Any "tone" clean-up could take a while.

Dickpenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:49 pm 

Midnightwards666 wrote:
19714 entries. Any "tone" clean-up could take a while.

Propably wouldn't make much sense to clean that up. I doubt anyone will ask for most of those bands ever again.
Maybe the most asked for could be reworked and then flagged as appropriate.

Just out of curiosity: Could you quickly give the top 20 reasons with their counts?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:25 pm 

If I may voice my opinion, then I do not understand the point of your question. ThThe main and most common reason is the band not being metal, so it means , that it falls into some of the categories of non-metal bands mmentioned in the rules. The other is, when a baband has no releasesand has split-up without releasing anything. The third are fake or fictional bands, which can be viewed as a sub-category of the second reason, since when a band has a valid release with original material , it can't be fictional or fake any more. See the example of Dethklok. The third are bands, which were submitted repeatedly without releases and then the blacklist is only temporary in case of active bands. If you may want to hear about my experience as a former mod on the old versionof the page, the most coomon non-metal bands submitted were metalcore and non-metal grindcore bands, closely followed by nu-metal bands. I can also only tell you, how the early version oof the black list looked like and it had only seldom a reason for the band rejection listed and when it had , it was only a genre tag for example: Cinderella - gglam, Slipknot - mallcore and so on. The strangest submission, which was obviously not a trolling attempt, was a submission of The Rolling Stones as heavy metal.

There were are also some rejection reason from early times of the page, which were formulated more as a jokes and which would do no good in the cureent , more serious enviroment of the new version of the database. OnOne, which I can hopefully publish, It is the rejection reason for the goregrind band I Shit On Your face: I wipe it off and reject your submisssion..l.

This makes clear, that some of the olddescription would not really be helpful for users seeking for answers . b

Dickpenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:48 pm 

Witcher wrote:
I do not understand the point of your question.

When you put it like that, it sure sounds like there's not much behind the comments, but from a user perspective, i find it quite unsatisfying to not see the reasons behind a rejection. A bit more transparency in that matter would be nice.
Also, the date of blacklisting is not shown, but would be useful so one can tell if it might be because lack of a release or because of genre. And it would also be good to know if a blacklisting occured before or after a change in style of a band in some cases.
And that a comment for blacklisting seems to be mandatory from 2011 on indicates there is some relevance to it.

Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:52 pm 

On the other hand reading some of those colorful comments might be entertaining.

I can imagine there is something funny in the blacklist notes for Britney Spears.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:16 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
On the other hand reading some of those colorful comments might be entertaining.

Actually, only 58.2% of the blacklisted bands have comments.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:30 pm 

Adding the date to the blacklist warning is a great idea, I would definitely support that. I'm not sure where I stand on displaying the blacklist reason. I think it would settle some doubts and even give users a better idea of what we consider acceptable for the site... but then, it could also lead to pointless debates about non-metal bands... and I don't even want to imagine debating the genres of blacklisted bands with users.

OpsiusCato wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:

Actually, only 58.2% of the blacklisted bands have comments.

You actually went through the entire blacklist and counted the number of bands without a note attached and calculated the percentage to the decimel? You fucking genius.

Reply to topic