Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:51 pm 

The Farewell is a genuine piece of art. Tragic and cathartic and legitimately funny all at once. It's a story about a Chinese family whose grandmother has been fatally diagnosed and they throw a fake wedding to see her one last time in lieu of telling her she's dying. The directing and acting were top notch and the story was full of grace and pain and comedy in equal measures. Really great stuff.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Farewell is a genuine piece of art. Tragic and cathartic and legitimately funny all at once. It's a story about a Chinese family whose grandmother has been fatally diagnosed and they throw a fake wedding to see her one last time in lieu of telling her she's dying. The directing and acting were top notch and the story was full of grace and pain and comedy in equal measures. Really great stuff.

I want to see this so badly.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:03 pm 

That one and Us are my top two of the year so far.

Seeing Scary Stories tonight so we'll see how that goes after Necro's review up there...

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:24 pm 

The Aggression Scale - Teenage step-siblings fight back when criminals break into their house looking for missing money. Passable R-rated spin on the Home Alone idea, with hardly any comedy and a decent body count. 5 / 10

The Shining - Had to revisit this with Mike Flanagan's Doctor Sleep adaptation coming out this year. Unlike many movies which annoy me when they go well over 2 hours, the length sort of works in this one's favor because so much time passes in the story. It makes you feel like you're stuck in the hotel with a mentally unraveling Jack Nicholson too. Plus this has enough quotable lines and memorable scenes for a 4-hour movie. 8 / 10

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 am 

Watched the remake of Pet Sematary on Friday, then the original film on Saturday.

The original film is solid horror and a classic, despite some occasional moments of weak acting. The atmosphere in the original is still outstanding, the pacing and plotting still solid, and the movie still works.

Sign. Then the remake. The remake is garbage through and through. It appears that the filmmakers' only purpose to the film was to subvert expectations of the audience who'd seen the vastly superior original film. And now, this isn't some old fuddy-duddy view of "ppfff remakes are always worse." The film is simply, objectively, worse.

Pascow, for instance, is a nothing character in the remake. He has about two or three lines of dialog and those are delivered lifelessly (no pun intended). His impact on the overall story is largely nothing, the exact opposite of the very active role the character took in trying to prevent tragedy in the original film.

Spoiler: show
Switching the dead kid angle from the younger son to the daughter simply didn't work. The daughter chewed the scenery after she came back, and boy howdy was she annoying. Worse, the film went from a unique horror film of a family struggling with death to a bunch of slapped-together slasher tropes.

Lewis' descent into madness concerning the drive to save his family didn't work at all.

In the end of the original, Judd's house was set on fire to hide evidence of Judd's death and Gage's body, as well as the location of Rachel's murder. In the remake, the family's house is set on fire in the end... for no reason. It's just on fire. For no fucking reason.

The fight with Lewis' in-laws doesn't exist. None of that tension occurs.

The daughter's death has no where near the impact of Gage's death in the original film. Indeed, the daughter's death simply seems pointless and the scenes were filmed very clearly with the intention of setting up the audience to see Gage die because that's what was expected since he died in the original film.

Judd's achille's slashing had less impact, and this, too, was filmed to subvert expectations from the original film.

The backstory of "once a man was buried up there" from the original film was replaced with a boring internet search montage that doesn't make any logical sense. What was Lewis' search criteria? Did he google "was anyone buried at the creepy place behind the Pet Semetary that came back to life all weird?" What the fuck was he looking up? If he was looking up "people thought dead came back strange," maybe, but what would be his incentive to even look that up? IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY FUCKING SENSE!

Not a single character exhibits the rural Maine accent in the remake.

In the original, Rachel's memories of her sister haunt her and guide her motivation for trying to hide death from her daughter. These memories affect her so badly that when she sees Gage returned from the dead, she is willing to accept the strange sight, having been pulled from reality. In the remake, the daughter just "turns into" her sister briefly for no reason. The daughter is already horrifying and going on the attack, so this was pointless.

As much as I like John Lithgow, his Judd just wasn't a great character. Fred Gwynn's Judd worked because there was a troubled innocence about him. He was a good man who'd witnessed some unimaginable horrors in his life and partook in some frightening moments. They left scars, but ultimately he was still a good man affected by the evil that dwelled in the Mi'kmaq Indian burial ground. Lithgow's Judd is portrayed as if we shouldn't trust him, that he is malevolent.

Lithgow's Judd is also drugged for no reason at all by Lewis in the remake. This is yet another element that seems pulled from the original film and just misplaced, as Rachel was given sedatives to calm her down while Judd confronted Lewis about the dark thoughts he was having after Gage's death.

Lewis in the original has a clear break from reality and we see him spiral from a rational man to someone desperate to have back the people he lost. Lewis is flat through and through in the remake, and his breaking point barely exists.

The entire remake is one big mess of taking bits and pieces from the original film, and just moving them around to subvert expectations, all of it at the expense of a coherent story or sensible plotting. Dialog loses impact, character actions lose logic, and motivation is lacking. Bits and pieces taken from the original film are scattered about unconnected to one another and totally ineffective to the plot. Subverting audience expectations is fine and all, but this film feels like that's it's entire purpose. And that only pertains to the elements they kept, because they removed quite a bit from the original film. An entire character is missing.

I hated the fucking remake. When the entire point is just to subvert expectations, the film becomes a ramshackle mess of barely connected scenes. Character motivations disappear, fall flat, or become nonsensical. Random horror tropes take the place of the careful pacing and plotting of the original. The green screening is piss-poor, the cat was seemingly CG'd to be extra creepy, the music was lifeless, and the atmosphere was hollow.

It's a fucking mess. Watch the original. Watch it twice.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:36 am 

Eh, I loved the book Pet Sematary and hated the original film; just so goofy and lacking in the right kind of darkness. The remake was threadbare and didn't amaze me either, but I liked it much better. But the story is just one of those things that no movie can ever really capture. King was in a uniquely dark place and only the book can capture that.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - Pretty lame and empty. It's a Young Adult/children movie for sure, but it isn't even particularly effective by that metric, with nonexistant character motives/development and a quick pace that robs the story of most of the atmosphere the scenery and directing tries to set up. There are maybe a few good scares, with only one scene really sticking out. Most of it is just super predictable and doesn't seem to care too much about wowing the crowd in the manner that a horror movie needs to. Half-assed, phoned in, etc.

Love, Simon - On the other side of the YA spectrum this was a very solid movie. Liked the characters and acting and the story, despite being totally grounded in reality, was compelling. I liked that this had the main character making some bad choices. That's not always the default even for adult films, but it lends some actual humanity to a story. It had its cheesy moments but overall was good, particularly as a LGBT film that portrayed its characters in a refreshingly normal way.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:58 am 

Guys, I used to watch approx 4-6 films A WEEK and ever since my wife and I split (after 16 years) in May, I've watched two movies (That Ted Bundy piece of shit, and a film I had already seen before - Valarie And Her Week Of Wonders). I also work in film, and have been dealing with a block/stale period of work. Reading this thread is at least keeping me somewhat in touch, and my ever-growing list of "To Watch" is out of control, but I thank you all very much.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:14 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - Pretty lame and empty. It's a Young Adult/children movie for sure, but it isn't even particularly effective by that metric, with nonexistant character motives/development and a quick pace that robs the story of most of the atmosphere the scenery and directing tries to set up. There are maybe a few good scares, with only one scene really sticking out. Most of it is just super predictable and doesn't seem to care too much about wowing the crowd in the manner that a horror movie needs to. Half-assed, phoned in, etc.

TOLD YOU

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:38 pm 

To be fair, the "Scary Stories..." books were sub-Goosebumps on scares themselves, with only the artwork being particularly memorable, so I don't see why the movie would be better

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:27 pm 

Never read em. Just figured with Del Toro being involved it'd at least be a little bit good.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 pm 

The books were fun but they were very much disparate, unrelated stories without any particular characters.

The movie's issue is that its writing was trash and that the framing narrative that was an excuse for bringing all these iconic creatures together was not interesting in the least and expected you to care for 1 dimensional children.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:03 pm 

It was also a pretty transparent excuse to jump on the Stranger Things train and make a story in the past with a lot of retro references and things. It just felt half-finished and like they rushed through the entire thing. If they'd tried harder to write a compelling story about these characters and not just put in the bare-bones dated horror cliche that has most recently been used as parody, it could've worked better.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:10 pm 

It also didn't even have the confidence to know its audience.

Like, it was obviously intended for children in that way that some of those movies don't work for adults, but the main girl had bela lugosi posters on her walls?

What 9 year old knows who that is and can relate?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:54 pm 

Well, I was about 8 or 9 when I started my love for Romero and Carpenter, sooooo...

darkeningday wrote:

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:20 am 

I'm 5 minutes into King of the Monsters, and I already have questions.

They apparently have pretty poor standards for which soldiers are assigned to guard fucking Mothra. A contrived, unearned action sequence.

They expect us to care that these people who may or may not be important are in danger at the very beginning of the movie? I'm 15 minutes in, but the movie is acting like it's the halfway point!

Charles Dance is here, but why???

...What a weird heel-turn. I think I hate this.

Conclusion:
The Mothra self-sacrifice powerup thing was classic Godzilla, and if they had taken the human characters out of the end, it would have been perfect. The monster battles were excellent, but the human characters were aggressively, ridiculously horrible. Godzilla movies have never had great characters, and that's fine, but if you're not gonna bother writing halfway decent characters, don't make them the focus and pretend we're supposed to be emotionally invested in them!

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:42 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Eh, I loved the book Pet Sematary and hated the original film; just so goofy and lacking in the right kind of darkness. The remake was threadbare and didn't amaze me either, but I liked it much better. But the story is just one of those things that no movie can ever really capture. King was in a uniquely dark place and only the book can capture that.

That's interesting because King was fairly heavily involved in the original film, where they used his screenplay and he had final say on the director. There's less-than-perfect acting in the first act of the original film and some effects aged poorly, but I was fairly impressed how well made it is when we watched it on Saturday. I suppose watching the two back-to-back helped me see this. My son, who'd never seen either, vastly enjoyed the original and found the remake to be a mix of stupid and boring.

Also, I forgot to bitch about this in the sequel: The kids in creepy masks in the beginning. The remake is nothing if not a checklist of lazy-ass modern Hollywood horror tropes slapped together.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:49 am 

Empyreal wrote:
It was also a pretty transparent excuse to jump on the Stranger Things train and make a story in the past with a lot of retro references and things. It just felt half-finished and like they rushed through the entire thing. If they'd tried harder to write a compelling story about these characters and not just put in the bare-bones dated horror cliche that has most recently been used as parody, it could've worked better.

I think it's easy to blame Stranger Things for this, but this is just the era we're in. When I was a kid in the 80's, all the nostalgia fuel films and shows were focused on the 50's. This is just the same thing, where the current writers and filmmakers are slamming the nostalgia of the 80's and early 90's. The next AHS season is 1984. Summer of '84 took place in... 1984. Video games like GTA and Hotline Miami (among countless others) have gone through 80's vibes. Stephen King's IT had the "30 years in the past" half, which put it in the 50s-60s era previously, so the remake following the same timeline takes place... in the 80s.

It's not Stranger Things. It's just the era.

Also, fanny packs are back. Those were lame the first time around.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:24 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

That's interesting because King was fairly heavily involved in the original film, where they used his screenplay and he had final say on the director. There's less-than-perfect acting in the first act of the original film and some effects aged poorly, but I was fairly impressed how well made it is when we watched it on Saturday. I suppose watching the two back-to-back helped me see this. My son, who'd never seen either, vastly enjoyed the original and found the remake to be a mix of stupid and boring.

Also, I forgot to bitch about this in the sequel: The kids in creepy masks in the beginning. The remake is nothing if not a checklist of lazy-ass modern Hollywood horror tropes slapped together.

All of the old one just came off so silly and lacking in real darkness for me. King's involvement apparently didn't guarantee it'd have the same vibe. He also didn't like the Kubrick Shining - he's too close to his work. For my taste, the book just happened to be one of those things I experienced real young; and it had a morbidity and macabre nature that can't be replicated really.

Quote:
I think it's easy to blame Stranger Things for this, but this is just the era we're in. When I was a kid in the 80's, all the nostalgia fuel films and shows were focused on the 50's. This is just the same thing, where the current writers and filmmakers are slamming the nostalgia of the 80's and early 90's. The next AHS season is 1984. Summer of '84 took place in... 1984. Video games like GTA and Hotline Miami (among countless others) have gone through 80's vibes. Stephen King's IT had the "30 years in the past" half, which put it in the 50s-60s era previously, so the remake following the same timeline takes place... in the 80s.

It's not Stranger Things. It's just the era.

Indeed. Stranger Things is just the most popular incarnation of it and it feels like a lot of these films want to capture that kind of feel - that was the first thing that seemed to get big like that. I don't even think it's necessarily about the era so much as that classic 'kids doing nothing in the summer' feel, that nostalgia for that kind of time of one's life no matter the year.

Summer of 84 was so good though. That was a seriously dark take on this whole thing. Real well made.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:45 pm 

edit

Last edited by StryckenFromHistory on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:58 am 

I loved Summer of 84 so much I bought the blu-ray. I don't mind a million references to an era honestly. The only time it has really bugged me was when Stranger Things crammed 4 80s songs into every damn episode, but hey if you got the budget flaunt it I guess.

WilliG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:34 pm 

Brightburn a few nights back, the horror elements were excellent and some genuine wtf jaw on the floor moments ;) 7/10

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:14 pm 

WilliG wrote:
Brightburn a few nights back, the horror elements were excellent and some genuine wtf jaw on the floor moments ;) 7/10

Brightburn was loads of fun. I think it didn't get the reviews it deserved because people were expecting more supervillainy shit to go down, and it wasn't that kind of movie. I liked it a lot.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:36 pm 

Ok, so I finally got around to watching Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and... it is not a good movie. It's a fun monster movie, don't get me wrong, but it's not a good movie. There's lots of mayhem and giant creatures and destruction and so forth, which really is all you need or should want from a Godzilla flick, but there is only the thinnest of plots. Just enough to supply a reason for monster fights, and no more. Characters live and die for no reason. The Stranger Things kid that everyone loves is in it, but really only so the studio could advertise that the Stranger Things kid was in it. Most of the big monster battles takes place at night when it's raining, which I think we all know is the standard way to obscure mediocre effects. It reminded me of Michael Bay's Transformer movies. Loud and visually busy attempts at epicness which are really just two hours plus of CGI things punching each other. I liked the first one better.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:35 pm 

Anyone see Miracle Mile? It's one of the most bizarre 80's American flicks I've ever seen. It starts off as this kinda silly romcom, but then, like, 20 or so minutes in it takes a genuine 180° in terms of tone and plot. The end result is pretty devastating, and actually really dark and terrifying. And it's all filmed in this super 80's style, complete with a Tangerine Dream score and typical 80's Hollywood sidekicks, which makes the experience all the more intense as the film goes on. Also, it's definitely one of those films that merit going into blind; I bet the emotional impact is like 10x stronger once you reach the end. Really weird (and kinda depressing) shit from Hollywood.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Anyone see Miracle Mile? It's one of the most bizarre 80's American flicks I've ever seen. It starts off as this kinda silly romcom, but then, like, 20 or so minutes in it takes a genuine 180° in terms of tone and plot. The end result is pretty devastating, and actually really dark and terrifying. And it's all filmed in this super 80's style, complete with a Tangerine Dream score and typical 80's Hollywood sidekicks, which makes the experience all the more intense as the film goes on. Also, it's definitely one of those films that merit going into blind; I bet the emotional impact is like 10x stronger once you reach the end. Really weird (and kinda depressing) shit from Hollywood.
Yes! I saw that back in the early 90's on HBO and never found out the name. It was quite a few years later when I discovered what it was.

It does have quite the tonal shift. As soon as he answers that payphone, the paranoia sets in and the film exudes horror and nihilism better than it has any right to.

Know what else I love about that film? The genuine 180° it does with the diner occupants. Right after the phone call, when he reenters the diner and freaks out, the film really makes you think he is going to team up with them. I mean it would make sense to do that since the viewer has not only seen these characters for a few scenes but they are also - Seargent Reed from Robocop, Mabel from NbK, psychologist Peter Silberman from the Terminator, Rachel Creed from Pet Semetary - All character actors that really made that scene intense and special, set the main plot in motion and once he jumps out of their truck, you never see them again.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:29 pm 

The Mule - Clint Eastwood is still doing good work as he approaches his 90th year on this planet. 7.5 / 10

Oh hey look, they're making a 4th Matrix movie after all. Will they do the obvious thing and call it The Matrix Rebooted?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:56 pm 

Maybe it'll be live action this time...

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:18 pm 

The Matrix Restarted
The Matrix Turned Off and Turned On Again
The Matrix Ctrl+Alt+Del 2: Ctrl+Alt+Del Again

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:48 pm 

The Matrix Blue (or Green?) Screen of Death

I'm trying to understand how they can justify bringing back not only Neo, but also Trinity. It's probably time to watch Reloaded and Revolutions again. The sequels seem almost as universally loathed as Spider-Man 3 or Amazing Spider-Man 2 but I found them watchable despite the undeniable flaws.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:22 pm 

I recently rewatched the original masterpiece and followed that with first time viewings of the sequels and honestly, they're not as good but I don't hate them. Reloaded is the better sequel and is a LOT of fun. My biggest problem with Revolutions is they threw in a bunch of new characters that I really didn't give two shits about. And then the core characters who actually matter are barely in half of it. And it's just kinda fucking boring.

That said, Reloaded is so fucking horny for itself it's ridiculous.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:37 am 

I have zero faith in anything Matrix or Wachowski at this point, so if anything I hope this movie is at least laughably terrible rather than insufferably terrible.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:32 am 

Here are some movies I have recently been watching:

Godzilla: King of Monsters (2019) - Brainless fun ride for kaiju enthusiasts like myself - 7/10
India's Most Wanted (2018) - Intense Indian secret agent thriller that doesn't deserve its negative ratings - 8/10
The Grizzlies (2018) - Wonderful Canadian drama about the challenged in the north - 10/10
Shadow (2018) - Visually stunning action drama by legendary Zhang Yimou - 10/10
Coming Home (2014) - Another drama by Zhang Yimou, brilliantly played but with a few lengths - 7/10
The Final Master (2015) - Entertaining martial arts movie that goes back to Hong Kong action cinema of the eighties - 8/10
Tolkien (2016) - Plodding biopic, for fans only - 5/10
Brightburn (2019) - Sinister superhero movie with solid atmosphere but poor conclusion - 7/10
City of Life and Death (2009) - War movie that explores the Nanjing Massacre from different perspectives - 8/10
Thirteen Assassins (1963) - The original movie is very close to Miike's remake, both are worth watching - 8/10
Farewell My Concubine (1993) - Epic melancholy drama with Leslie Cheung's most personal performance - 8/10
The Great Battle (2018) - Entertaining war movie with interesting characters - 8/10
The Street Fighter (1974) - Brutal martial arts movie ahead of its time - 8/10
Return of the Street Fighter (1974) - Painfully patched sequel, for fans only - 6/10
The Street Fighter's Last Revenge (1974) - Martial arts majesty meets twisted thriller - 9/10
Sister Street Fighter (1974) - Feminine take on The Street Fighter series with great lead actress - 8/10
Sister Street Fighter: Hanging by a Thread (1974) - Intense and sinister sequel with great acting performances - 8/10
Sister Street Fighter: Return of the Sister Street Fighter (1975) - Satisfying conclusion to the female martial arts series - 7/10
Sister Street Fighter: Fifth Level Fist (1976) - It doesn't have anything to do with the series but is an entertaining action thriller nonetheless - 7/10
Spinning Man (2018) - Sinister posychological thriller that wastes too much time plodding along - 6/10
Wolf Warrior (2015) - Propaganda war movie with terrible special effects but amazing fight scenes - 6/10
Extreme Job (2019) - Highly entertaining South Korean action-comedy movie - 9/10
Aladdin (2019) - Colourful and creative tale that entertains from start to finish - 9/10
Midsommar (2019) - Experimental horror movie with interesting characters but overlong running time - 7/10
Crawl (2019) - Alexandre Aja's latest horror movie which entertains but doesn't leave a deeper impression - 6/10
Through Black Spruce (2018) - Sinister Canadian drama with bleak realism - 7/10
The Outlaws (2017) - Gritty South Korean action thriller with a charismatic Ma Dong-seok - 9/10
The Leakers (2018) - Pandemic thriller with good pace but predictable story - 7/10
The Scythian Lamb (2017) - Slice of life drama that slowly evolves into a supernatural thriller based upon an anime - 7/10

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:35 am 

new Scorsese / De Niro / Pacino / Pesci mafia movie, The Irishman:

I do hope it's good, would be a nice career send-off for all involved...

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:44 pm 

Overlord (2018) is a glorious slice of b-movie fun and one that could have been an instant classic if it paced itself a little better. 6.5/10

darkeningday wrote:

WilliG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:55 pm 

Crawl (2019) - 7/10

Predictable and clear in where it got its inspiration from, but enjoyably entertaining nonetheless.

It has a few good moments which make you jump and a semi-realistic storm depiction which, although doesn’t quite add to the tension, like the alligators, it does keep up the impending threat.

The story and acting are ok and the ending sort of fizzles out, but it achieves what it sets out to do in a good way.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:49 pm 

Emelie - I rank this way below other recent thrillers about babysitters such as, uhhh, The Babysitter and Better Watch Out. 4 / 10

Airplane! - Still holds up! 8 / 10

The Cleaning Lady - Apparently the standard joke is this should have been called Single White Burn Victim. It's about a self-employed beautician who befriends her facially scarred maid. The maid turns out to be a bit obsessive.

I thought this was really effective almost the whole way through. There was a point near the climax where it almost started to lose me, as it focused on a supporting character who had seemed unimportant. But then it regained its footing and reached a satisfying ending that was better than the one I wrote in my head. 7 / 10

AndromedaVessel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:34 pm 

Superfast! - the most recent Jason Friedberg/Aaron Seltzer film (of Epic Movie, Date Movie, Disaster Movie, etc). I haven't yet seen The Starving Games, but this one seemed to be the less obnoxious out of all the ones they've made; the main bad guy and his right-hand man are what salvaged this for me. Still wouldn't recommend it, though.

Parasite - I wish I could have liked this one. It's not bad, I just had different expectations for it. I didn't read the plot, didn't pay attention to the trailer, saw the poster, the director (Bong Joon-Ho), and I thought it was a straight horror movie. Seeing the ratings it's getting, I went with great expectations of it becoming sort of a new The Wailing for me. As it turns out, it's not a horror film, but a black comedy thriller; when I read that it threw me off, so I didn't enjoy it as much.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:59 pm 

Hot take: Hellboy 2019 was a cut above the Del Toro films, especially the dreadful first one.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:10 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Overlord (2018) is a glorious slice of b-movie fun and one that could have been an instant classic if it paced itself a little better. 6.5/10

Saw it recently. That opening scene was so fucking intense, I was expecting the rest of the movie to follow the same path but... I really don't know what to say. At times it's super serious and all, and then it turns into a depiction of what Marvel's Hydra labs would be doing. It's not a bad thing per se but it just doesn't fit well with the mood of the movie.
Still, I quite enjoyed it for what it was, but it could have been way better.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:18 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Hot take: Hellboy 2019 was a cut above the Del Toro films, especially the dreadful first one.

What the fuck?! What madness is th--oh, it's DD. Sounds about right.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 738, 739, 740, 741, 742, 743, 744 ... 818  Next