* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:22 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Not sure why "effeminate" matters... and the VS albums most people praise are their more epic stuff in the 90s most of the time. They're not that much like Manowar though, aside from aesthetics and maybe slight similarities in the vocals before DeFeis began to lose it in the '00s.

One reason it matters is because people don't listen to Manowar for effeninate music so how could something so effeminate be a valid competitor?

It's the same reason Manowar isn't a good competitor for Sarah McLachlan.

Virgin Steele also have songs named ''Invicus'', ''I Wake up Screaming'', ''Kingdom of the Fearless'' and so on. You're still sure they're an effeminate band?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:24 am 

Empyreal wrote:
What did they do to treat their fans like shit?

well, I'm not gonna type out all the anecdotes in my possession, but, in a nutshell, they avoided talking to their fans on several occasions, sometimes resorting to extreme measures and deception towards that goal. which I found paricularly unfair, seeing as that happened in a country where they played to 2k, at a time when they could not book a gig in a coffee shop in their hometown. btw, I do not include myself in the "fan" camp, I was merely an embarrassed/stunned spectator...

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:26 am 

Indicating Virgin Steele is "effeminate" sounds like Manowar fanboys insecurely grandstanding. Virgin Steele is objectively better than Manowar in every regard.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:26 am 

Huh, well I didn't know about that - guess it checks out with DeFeis' general weirdness. I'm still a big fan of their 90s albums and never really liked Manowar aside from the first album and some other early songs though.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:29 am 

colin040 wrote:
Virgin Steele also have songs named ''Invicus'', ''I Wake up Screaming'', ''Kingdom of the Fearless'' and so on. You're still sure they're an effeminate band?

yes, I'd say so.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:34 am 

^ I'm not able to see that picture but I can guess...is it the one where DeFeis, Pursino and Gilchriest are dressed up like KISS? :lol:

Seriously though, VS had plenty of soft/quirky moments (the ending of ''Noble Savage, anyone?) but often they were able to mix things greatly. The softer sections in ''Mind, Body, Spirit'' and ''I Will Come For You'' are great sections, for instance.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:36 am 

Part of the reason VS is good is because they have multiple dimensions and layers to them and not just straight ahead bruising and aggression. The 80s stuff was inconsistent though. Talking about "masculinity" and "femininity" as if those are positives or negatives in music is dumb.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:42 am 

It is kinda funny how Virgin Steele started getting really good right around the same time Manowar started sucking.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:42 am 

I like Virgin Steel quite a bit. But they are more effeminate at times, a romantic vibe at times? But it works as a cool contrast over the crunching riffage and epic songs, and there is plenty of steel in there as well. Victory is Mine is pure epic power for example. But VS has more moments of softness to them and embraces the effeminate lyrically more than Manowar. Who is more of the pleasure slave/rape their women as they cry mentality, before killing their servants and burning their homes to the ground. VS seems more like grand epic stories, where Manowar is epic in the sense of a horde of Cimmerians overrunning your village. Manowar is epic, every moment is a battle against all odds and wimps and poseurs get the fuck out of the Hall! Machismo dialed up to 11. The power of will shall conquer all, etc. Not to mention endless songs about metal and brotherhood.

I like them both for the same, and different reasons. But I don't think Virgin Steel does for me what prime Manowar does for me, or vice versa.

Manowar has made themselves a joke in some ways with their antics, but fuck when they are on they are on!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Talking about "masculinity" and "femininity" as if those are positives or negatives in music is dumb.

Is this an indirect complaint about my The Marriage of Heaven and Hell - Part One review? ;)

Seriously though, those terms describe VS music rather well, at least more so than barbaric-romantic metal. :p

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:12 pm 

No I meant the stuff on the previous page about how the song titles weren't manly enough. Like if you want to talk about it, sure, but I hardly think it's a value judgment.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:26 pm 

Classic Manowar >> Virgin Steele (which I like a lot)

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:40 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
No I meant the stuff on the previous page about how the song titles weren't manly enough. Like if you want to talk about it, sure, but I hardly think it's a value judgment.

You really missed the point, but keep going if that makes you feel better about yourself.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:53 pm 

Manowar broke up after Sign of the Hammer and were never heard from again. All they left behind was a perfect discography and a few loin cloths. What legends!

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:08 pm 

Their stuff from Fighting the World up to Triumph of Steel is definitely more polished and more commercial and lost a lot of that raw, barbaric epic feeling but there are still a lot of great songs in them (Heart of Steel, come on!). And since Blow Your Speakers was my first contact with Manowar (video too!) and I loved it from the beginning, I still have a soft spot for it.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:05 pm 

Virgin Steele does 100% have an effeminate side and their music is much better because of it.

On the Atreus albums Defeis sings noticeably more soft spoken and woman-like when channeling a woman character, like Clytemnestra or Electra or Iphigenia.

It's even on the name, Virgin and Steele.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 pm 

I can easily see that on a sticker on the next VS CD reissue. maybe even on the back of a t-shirt.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:48 pm 

I've tried VS and own a few albums but nothing I have heard gets near Manowar. In the office at the moment so will check out Invictus and see how it goes (so far it sounds like KOM - LTH era Manowar).

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:04 am 

Which ones do you own?

Invictus is more on the aggressive side and it's pretty great. The Marriage albums are must listens imo.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:07 am 

Aydross wrote:
Which ones do you own?

Invictus is more on the aggressive side and it's pretty great. The Marriage albums are must listens imo.

Think I have the first couple and a compilation with a sword on the cover. Invictus sounds good to me - what others should I check out? Through Blood and Fire's chorus ("no more tomorrow" part) sounds like it has a slight "Master of the Wind" melody in it ;).

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:36 am 

Well they are famous for having 5 great albums in a run:
Marriage I and II, Invictus, Atreus I and II

Any of them are quality tbh, would recommend going in order but it doesn't really matter.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:41 am 

Aydross wrote:
Well they are famous for having 5 great albums in a run:
Marriage I and II, Invictus, Atreus I and II

Any of them are quality tbh, would recommend going in order but it doesn't really matter.

Cool - will check them out. Thanks.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:38 pm 

MigrantWizard wrote:
I've never understood why anyone would listen to Manowar when Manilla Road and Virgin Steele play the style of metal they supposedly invented far better than they ever did.

All these comparisons being thrown around (mostly with VS), and yet no one has mentioned Bathory.

A long time ago someone on these forums mentioned how the Viking metal albums of Bathory were essentially Manowar worship, and I thought that member was insane (mostly because I was only familiar with the "Kings of Metal" album). When I listened to the first four Manowar albums however, it immediately clicked. With songs like "Battle Hymn," "Mountains," or "Thor (The Powerhead)," you can definitely imagine Quorthon taking those songs and simply running with the ideas presented in them.

If there was any band that outManowared Manowar it's Bathory.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:46 am 

Ordered some VS albums: Marriage part I and II, plus Invictus. Because of this topic, really. Always knew them by name, but never listened their music. Too late, too late. Great stuff.

MigrantWizard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:41 am 

Might actually change my name to TrollingWizard at this rate.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:48 am 

:D

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:54 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Ordered some VS albums: Marriage part I and II, plus Invictus. Because of this topic, really. Always knew them by name, but never listened their music. Too late, too late. Great stuff.

I'm going to do the same. I checked my collection and I only had their first two albums plus a compliation. Didn't know they ended up sounding like they do on Invictus - awesome album.

DxMxGxD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:49 am 

anyone lucky enough to purchase manowar branded condoms years ago from their official online store? one of me biggest regret is not hitting that checkout button. they've never been back in stock

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:00 pm 

DxMxGxD wrote:
anyone lucky enough to purchase manowar branded condoms years ago from their official online store? one of me biggest regret is not hitting that checkout button. they've never been back in stock

haha

The KISS influence is apparent

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:37 pm 

DxMxGxD wrote:

If this is real, then the accidental yet hilarious portrayal of both Manowar's attempt to milk the cash cow and their fan base's inability to get laid is too good to make up. As with Manowar on the whole, the jokes just write themselves.

Obligatory Last FM Link

DxMxGxD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:51 am 

100% legit ...

MANOWAR: 'Warrior's Shield' Condom Now Available

MANOWAR's official web site has been updated with the following message:

"MANOWAR fans have requested a special piece of merchandise from their favourite metal band. MANOWAR has heard these requests and delivered. The new Manowar condoms are the perfect romantic accessory for all true metal couples. Whether you are looking to spice things up in the bedroom or meet somebody new after the show, MANOWAR condoms will do the trick. Now, you are ready for any chance meetings that turn into unexpected friendships.

"This special 'Warrior's Shield' is made of 100% natural rubber latex and transparent in colour. All condoms are FDA-approved against pregnancy, AIDS and other STDs. Expiration date, lot numbers and health advisories printed on the back of each condom.

"The 'Warrior's Shield' is individually packaged with the white MANOWAR logo emblazoned on the package. The 'Warrior's Shield' is sold five (5) condoms per bag.

"MANOWAR condoms now available at the Kingdom Of Steel online store, just in time for the holidays!

"Now you can not only say 'Fuck the world,' you can do it as well."

[url=https:///]Image[/url]

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:50 am 

Uhm... They missed the opportunity to print the Gods of War album art on the packaging. If you choose retardness you might as well fully commit to it

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:05 am 

What a great gift to buy to your lady for your anniversary.

Any signs of Final Battle II -ep, or did they just buried that project too?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:24 am 

They should've worked in the phrases "sign of the hammer" and "into glory ride" somewhere in that blurb about the condoms...

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:45 am 

wimps and posers, stick to your durex, pulling out or abstinence :p

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:11 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
They should've worked in the phrases "sign of the hammer" and "into glory ride" somewhere in that blurb about the condoms...

Or maybe "May your sword stay dry while your young girl's in her prime" or something.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:19 pm 

"I'm so much fun* I have to quote myself to make sure people notice!"

Spoiler: show
*where by "fun", I mean I been going through an indefinite dry patch recently.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:45 pm 

"Now, you are ready for any chance meetings that turn into unexpected friendships."

All of my friendships are based upon having Manowar condoms on me at the time. Sadly, my friendships are limited to 5 until the Warrior's Shields are back in stock.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:37 pm 

Also, if such individuals actually exist, hail the fans who REQUESTED this specific piece of merch - you are truly demented. It makes me wonder what else we could get 'em to make if we asked for it...

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:05 pm 

I could definitely see ManOwaR introducing them entirely of their own volition; it seems exactly like the kind of ridiculous, wack-ass thing they'd do. Now that such a thing has been put into the universe though, they gotta bring them back. It's so perfectly preposterous that them ever being out of stock is a crime.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next