Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:20 pm 

Cattle Decapitation say in this video that they are making a new album, and then they play a new song, called An Extreme Indifference to Human Life:

Anyway, the question is whether they will continue their very high quality of the recent albums.

Last edited by Dembo on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:14 am 

Hard to tell from that clip but hopefully the quality remains the same.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:19 pm 

The title is Death Atlas and the realease date is November 29th. Same producer as on the previous two, Dave Otero.

Trailer:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:33 pm 

Cover art:

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:26 pm 

Well, not a cool cover as I thought compared to the last two.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:33 pm 

One would think that there is either indifference or partiality to human life. What is the difference between indifference and extreme indifference? And given the person with those claims must be living to have a disposition at all, they would not be indifferent. After all, being an example of human life they aren't indifferent to their own life.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:28 pm 

That's their first good cover art!

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:28 pm 

Disembodied wrote:
One would think that there is either indifference or partiality to human life. What is the difference between indifference and extreme indifference? And given the person with those claims must be living to have a disposition at all, they would not be indifferent. After all, being an example of human life they aren't indifferent to their own life.

Say what? So for the simple fact that they were born human they're hypocrites for having a critique on the human condition? Plus it's art/performance. We don't take it as literally as possible, that'd be rather obtuse.

Some pretty extreme positions on their cover arts! I think this one looks awesome, and I think most of their covers have looked pretty good as a whole. Humanure anyone? Its originality alone is a great mark for it, and it's Benscoter so it's excellently painted too. Hell I think it's an iconic image for death metal, or it would be if the music was a bit better.

Anyway i'm pretty tired of Cattle Decap. As wicked as the art is I can't say i'm excited. While I loved Travis' snarling cleans when he first introduced them, I feel they've been turned into a gimmick or crutch for the songs for too many albums now. It's still a pretty unique vocal, especially in death metal, so if they continue adding them to a bunch of songs i'd understand, but it's too much for me. Seems when those became a standard inclusion to their writing, the songs became more... streamlined? Or simplistic, in the riffs and rhythms. When Dave McGraw came in for The Harvest Floor, the whole band and rhythm section just went nuts. All the halting and twisting spasmodic tech dm sounds they were trying to get off the ground through two ...underwhelming drummers finally came together like a meteor strike on that album. But since then? I haven't found much that's memorable and my ears are tired of those vocals now.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:35 pm 

SculptedCold wrote:
Disembodied wrote:

Say what? So for the simple fact that they were born human they're hypocrites for having a critique on the human condition?

Well we're all hypocrites, desiring and critiquing the very same things simultaneously. Critiquing it is a very effective way we hide the fact we desire it.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:04 am 

SculptedCold wrote:
Anyway i'm pretty tired of Cattle Decap. As wicked as the art is I can't say i'm excited. While I loved Travis' snarling cleans when he first introduced them, I feel they've been turned into a gimmick or crutch for the songs for too many albums now. It's still a pretty unique vocal, especially in death metal, so if they continue adding them to a bunch of songs i'd understand, but it's too much for me. Seems when those became a standard inclusion to their writing, the songs became more... streamlined? Or simplistic, in the riffs and rhythms. When Dave McGraw came in for The Harvest Floor, the whole band and rhythm section just went nuts. All the halting and twisting spasmodic tech dm sounds they were trying to get off the ground through two ...underwhelming drummers finally came together like a meteor strike on that album. But since then? I haven't found much that's memorable and my ears are tired of those vocals now.

That's fair, but I have the opposite reaction. I really like his cleans. I'm sure there's going to be plenty of them in the new album and I'm keen to hear them. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:54 am 

Disembodied wrote:
Well we're all hypocrites, desiring and critiquing the very same things simultaneously. Critiquing it is a very effective way we hide the fact we desire it.

:roll:

MikeyC wrote:
That's fair, but I have the opposite reaction. I really like his cleans. I'm sure there's going to be plenty of them in the new album and I'm keen to hear them. :)

Agreed, I think the cleans are excellent and have so far always been utilized well.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:09 am 

new teaser

quite excited for this!
Also on the front of really loving those gnarly cleans

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:26 am 

Cattle Decap is playing here tonight with The Faceless and some other bands. I am trying to decide if it's worth going. I like CD, not so much The Faceless or the rest.

extreme_metalology
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:00 pm 

The cover art for this looks pretty dope! I'm definitely excited for this album.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:13 pm 

New song and tracklist:

01. Anthropogenic: End Transmission
02. The Geocide
03. Be Still Our Bleeding Hearts
04. Vulturous
05. The Great Dying
06. One Day Closer to the End of the World
07. Bring Back the Plague
08. Absolute Destitute
09. The Great Dying II
10. Finish Them
11. With All Disrespect
12. Time's Cruel Curtain
13. The Unerasable Past
14. Death Atlas

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:39 pm 

Serviceable enough, but basically Anthropocene part 2, which makes it Monolith part 3.
Obliteration

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:44 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Serviceable enough, but basically Anthropocene part 2, which makes it Monolith part 3.

Hit the nail on the head. Though the fact that there's 14 tracks makes me hopeful they'll throw in a couple grindcore-length blasters to mix it up.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:00 am 

FirebathDan wrote:

Which makes it great.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:54 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:44 pm 

Dembo wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:

Which makes it great.

I agree. I liked it and I hope the rest of the album is of the same quality.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:05 pm 

I doubt they will ever top Monolith but I like this song more than anything from Anthropocene Extinction. That album feels way too formulaic for me.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:54 am 

Just reeaaaaaal sick of the goblin clean vocals. Do they have to be in every track now?

jugchord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:03 am 

Pretty cool track. I liked Anthro quite a bit but I do miss the old school Cattle at times. Especially in their sets the past few tours I caught them

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:19 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Just reeaaaaaal sick of the goblin clean vocals. Do they have to be in every track now?

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. It was new and interesting and fresh at first, but it feels gimmicky and forced now. Takes me out of enjoying their latest albums more than I do.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:54 pm 

Damn, love that slammish main riff.

How can those vocals be gimmicky and forced if there are no other singers that sound like that? Travis developing that technique is one of the more interesting developments in extreme metal in the past decade. So fucking unique and interesting.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:34 pm 

^ I absolutely agree that it's unique and interesting and yes, no one else is doing it (and should stay that way.) It's that it seems like it's expected of them now, and therefore he's been using it more than what I personally feel is necessary. A "less is more" approach would have more effectiveness, but again, comes down to taste, etc. Maybe there's some new vocal execution we haven't heard yet, maybe there's some new tricks up their sleeves considering the lineup change/expansion.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

AblackanatioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:31 pm 

Thoroughly enjoyed the last 2 and even if this is more of the same it works for me. These guys have defined their sound and moved away from the grind days into something more unique with the vocal style and technicality. Appreciate narsilianshard's comment about Travis's vocals, not hearing much different in the death metal world lately and this is refreshing having that dual vocal delivery.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:31 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Damn, love that slammish main riff.

How can those vocals be gimmicky and forced if there are no other singers that sound like that? Travis developing that technique is one of the more interesting developments in extreme metal in the past decade. So fucking unique and interesting.

Well that’s subjective really. I didn’t mind them but they seemed more effective to me when they were used sparingly and weren’t the whole goddamn chorus for every song.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:12 am 

narsilianshard wrote:

Since when is a gimmick only something that others are also doing?

Good on him for coming up with something new. Doesn't mean it has to be used in every song though.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:52 am 

ModusOperandi wrote:
It's that it seems like it's expected of them now, and therefore he's been using it more than what I personally feel is necessary. A "less is more" approach would have more effectiveness, but again, comes down to taste, etc. Maybe there's some new vocal execution we haven't heard yet, maybe there's some new tricks up their sleeves considering the lineup change/expansion.

That's a bit of a silly thing to say. I highly doubt he's doing them because it's "expected of them now". It's seems more likely that you expect of them to use it less than they like to. How many different vocal executions do extreme death metal/grindcore bands usually have? I totally get that you don't like the sound, but I honestly don't expect any major differences.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:55 am 

I like that strange vocal technique Travis does. The new song is a banger!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:25 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
I like that strange vocal technique Travis does. The new song is a banger!

Confirmed 100% metal.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:35 pm 

schizoid wrote:
Good on him for coming up with something new. Doesn't mean it has to be used in every song though.

Didn't realize you've heard the full album already! On which tracks in particular did you find it unnecessary?

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:18 pm 

I like that style. The chorus to Defecating Meat is absolutely killer because of those vocals.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:56 pm 

New song is absolutely awesome. I really don't care for the experimental highs he does these days but since they are blasting for a good portion of them in the new track it more than makes up for it. I really enjoy Cattle and Travis is one of the better vocalists in death metal but I could definitely do without the experimental vocals, ecspecially when I saw them live, really irratating. With that said though its their band they can make their own choices. The vocals don't ruin their music for me, i'd just prefer they weren't utilised nearly as much.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:24 pm 

The clean vocals were cooler around The Harvest Floor where they were only barely melodic and sounded like a chorus of farm animals. Now they just sound like Anaal Nathrakh with a speech impediment.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:19 am 

New song.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:47 am 

I fucking love the new songs and was ready to hit the pre-order but for some fucking reason the t-shirt with the album cover is not available in Europe? What the fuck?!

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:37 am 

New song is really really good, and definitely not Monolith pt.3.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:16 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next