Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:18 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
Has anyone played Enderal: Forgotten Stories? It is a massive Skyrim total-conversion mod that essentially turns it into a whole different game set in a different world. The leveling and skill increase mechanics are completely different. The gameplay is also harder than Skyrim, being that different parts of the game world are higher level and enemies will oneshot you if you aren't careful. Hell, I'm level 65 and I still find enemies that can kill me quickly - but I focused my attribute increases on Mana instead of Health.

Is the combat system improved? Skyrim was my first big RPG game and I was blown away by everything it had to offer, but after playing games such as Dark Souls and Kingdom Come: Deliverance it's hard to get back to TES and not be bored to death by its dull and overly simplistic combat mechanics.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:29 am 

I'd say it is. Enderal replaces Dragon Shouts with things called Talents that allow you to perform feats specific to a certain class. Certain perks are also harder to obtain - for instance, staggering an enemy with a bow requires a much higher skill level than in Skyrim.

But it is still the real-time combat found in Skyrim.

I've played Kingdom Come - the combat system is still tricky to get a hang of though. That was a really fun game though! Very scenic!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:27 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I tried playing System Shock 2 for like an hour, and the control scheme just pisses me off to no end. If the remake enables mouse-look like every other FPS does now, then I'll be tempted to dive in again.

Huh? Mouse look works fine in SS2

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:53 pm 

Got the Awakened Dream Nail in Hollow Knight. Time to check out the White Palace I guess.

Also Banjo & Kazooie dropped for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate yesterday. Haven't had a chance to check 'em out yet but I have listened to some of the remixed music that's included in the dlc and it's absolutely glorious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-PxmYbW-2c

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:46 pm 

I honestly enjoyed White Palace. A lot.
Spoiler: show
But I had JUST been playing Super Meatboy and it's basically the same thing. Hope you don't hate it! I know it's tortured some people. If you have the charm that lets you slowly recover HP as long as you aren't taking damage, use it.
14 hours later I realized what I said is basically spoilers and I'm really sorry.

I'm making progress in Enter the Gungeon. I made it to the Forge for the first time last night. Which I believe is the "fake out" last level, where you fight the Dragun? I never thought I would make it that far but the game gets easier and easier and my brain is adjusting to bullet hell life. Far more about pixel-precise bullet weaving than stacking DPS.

Dead Cells made me want to try Gungeon again, and Gungeon made me want to start playing Nuclear Throne again. It's real rogue-likey around my way famiels.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:36 am 

i only hated one part of the white palace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPYS6IDUdMc

the part at 13:37 i just got so frustrated at that part, loved the rest

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:49 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Got the Awakened Dream Nail in Hollow Knight. Time to check out the White Palace I guess.

Also Banjo & Kazooie dropped for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate yesterday. Haven't had a chance to check 'em out yet but I have listened to some of the remixed music that's included in the dlc and it's absolutely glorious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-PxmYbW-2c

No Grunty's Battle? Wtf

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:36 pm 

^
Yeah that surprised me. Guess they could only do so many.

Just beat White Palace. I loved the jumping platformy parts but yeah the precisely timed razorblade sections were frustrating in a bad way. I wish more of the main game had intense platforming sections. Hopefully more of that in Silksong.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:05 pm 

Here is my Pokemon Go friend code for those that are interested or need 3 new friends for the research task
5785 3255 1228

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:13 pm 

If anyone grabs Blasphemous today I'd love some hot takes. Spoiler free if possible. I'm on the fence due to limitation of funds but it's on sale and I know that won't last long. Probably going to grab it tonight since I've got some built-in alone time.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:14 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
If anyone grabs Blasphemous today I'd love some hot takes. Spoiler free if possible. I'm on the fence due to limitation of funds but it's on sale and I know that won't last long. Probably going to grab it tonight since I've got some built-in alone time.

It's much better than Death's Gambit

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:44 pm 

Hahahah well I expected that! The reviews for Death's Gambit were tepid. I never bothered trying it. I watched about 20 minutes of Blasphemous gameplay on Youtube and I think I'm gonna make the purchase tonight if I have any scope for it. Just curious to crowd source some opinions on it.

Wow, someone has already uploaded a youtube link with the completed game, done hitless. I can't imagine being that good at anything.

Last edited by Jonpo on Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:47 pm 

The sale that's on it is probably all you're going to get for awhile. New indie titles generally take awhile to go on sale after release.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:00 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Hahahah well I expected that! The reviews for Death's Gambit were tepid. I never bothered trying it. I watched about 20 minutes of Blasphemous gameplay on Youtube and I think I'm gonna make the purchase tonight if I have any scope for it. Just curious to crowd source some opinions on it.

Well, so far:

- The world is very alluring and atmospheric, it really makes you want to keep discovering new areas
- Controls are very responsive and animations are fluid
- World is very non-linear, but there's a SOTN styled map to help you
- Enemies usually pose no threat alone because dodging and parrying are ridiculously easy. Unlike Dark Souls, you hardly have to learn enemy attack patterns. You usually die because of pits or because enemies gang banged you
- I have been playing for 3 hours and I still didn't discovered what's the punishment for dying, you drop and recover something that I think that is analogous to Dark Souls bloodstain, but it apparently has no effect on your experience points

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:01 pm 

That is a beautiful post. Thank you so much! I was most nervous about the controls/"feel". They kept describing it as "pixel-perfect combat" and that's what I WANT, of course, it's just not always what gets delivered. The visuals were obviously stellar, never had any doubts there.

I'm pumped. Can't wait to give it a spin.

Edit: Maybe I've been hasty. The Get Indie Gaming review is surprisingly negative. Basically makes it sound boring outside the visuals and atmosphere. I'm honestly shocked.

God damn even IGN is saying the combat becomes tedious rather quickly. This is starting to feel like Deaths Gambit all over again!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:32 pm 

Blasphemous looks legit as hell. I was a little bit bummed to see that it didn't exactly get glowing reviews. Well, it got some glowing reviews, but most said that while the visuals are stunning, the gameplay gets a bit tedious and stale in by late-game and even a few I read said that the map is hard to navigate, which is exactly what you don't want in a Metroidvania. Hopefully I will end up disagreeing with all the nay-sayers and love the shit out of it when I play it. Which I will do! At some point.

Jonpo, you're obviously aware that Messenger DLC has dropped and more recently Celeste DLC? Have you tried either out yet?

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:50 pm 

Well, the combat is not boring, but don't expect complex and deep mechanics. It's just a single attack button and a parry button. You have a traditional skill tree and can buy longer combos and special combinations of jumping and sliding attacks. It's more like Sekiro, you use the sword the entire game and you can only increase your damage and get more skills (I think)

People that are bitching about getting lost probably haven't discovered there's a map yet. How it can be hard to navigate? The map shows unexplored paths that you have missed just like SOTN

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:
People that are bitching about getting lost probably haven't discovered there's a map yet. How it can be hard to navigate? The map shows unexplored paths that you have missed just like SOTN

That's what I was hoping and expecting. Likely just dumbass reviewers who haven't played SOTN :-P

Have you played Salt & Sanctuary? If so, would you say it's pretty similar to that? I sort of wonder why they went with the single-weapon-throughout-the-whole-game route, but maybe it ends up making sense. Anyway, I'm still definitely stoked to get it. It looks sick.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:38 am 

Razakel wrote:
Jonpo, you're obviously aware that Messenger DLC has dropped and more recently Celeste DLC? Have you tried either out yet?

Welllllllllllllllll you see the thing is...I never actually beat either of those games! I'm still actively playing Celeste but I usually just clear a few rooms and then turn it off. I haven't really touched The Messenger, or my PC in general, for awhile now. Lot of factors that sound ridiculous (it's too hot to turn the computer on, we have no A/C, my computer chair is just a folding chair from Wal-Mart that makes my ass go numb in 35 minutes).

I've honestly considered buying The Messenger again for PS4 just so I can play it more comfortably lol. But yeah the DLC looks so fun. And funny!

Blasphemous is probably going to be something I wait on, for a big sale.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:45 am 

I got Blasphemous last night, but I didn't start it up. My plan is to either start it tonight, or Friday night. I'm trying to get through some of The Division 2 before I dive in.

Dead Cells also had a major expansion, too, if you're still craving fast, fluid combat.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:38 am 

Been playing *the fuck* out of Total War: Warhammer II and it is glorious. Why haven't I got into this until now!?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:54 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I got Blasphemous last night, but I didn't start it up. My plan is to either start it tonight, or Friday night. I'm trying to get through some of The Division 2 before I dive in.

Dead Cells also had a major expansion, too, if you're still craving fast, fluid combat.

You know I want that Blasphemous hot take fam!

The new Dead Cells update is hilarious. I don't know what they added except for the tiny little Concierge dudes in Ramparts, really cracked me up. Still haven't obtained my first BC. I'm bad at video games you guys!

Instead of buying Blasphemous last night I ended up rediscovering my love for Hotline Miami. I'm actually enjoying the second one a lot. I know I've talked about it being a disappointment in the past and some levels were (The army levels with limited ammo FUCK THAT) but the level I'm on now is super fun and just the right level of challenge.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:26 am 

Razakel wrote:
at the gaytes wrote:

That's what I was hoping and expecting. Likely just dumbass reviewers who haven't played SOTN :-P

Have you played Salt & Sanctuary? If so, would you say it's pretty similar to that? I sort of wonder why they went with the single-weapon-throughout-the-whole-game route, but maybe it ends up making sense. Anyway, I'm still definitely stoked to get it. It looks sick.

Sorry, I haven't played Salt & Sanctuary yet. I think it have more of a Demon's Crest feel, with the game more or less letting you go anywhere after the tutorial and with a lot of items to find

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:38 pm 

Borderlands 3 is excellent as expected. I usually do my first playthrough solo, but after that I'm down to co-op here for anyone on PC.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:31 pm 

I'm eagerly anticipating sitting down tomorrow after I run my morning errands, picking Moze, and bringing mecha death to sooooo many NPCs.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:06 pm 

Metal Wolf Chaos XD is as hokey as expected. It's not difficult at all. Easy way to kill a bit of time blowing up everything in your path.

I'm kind of over Remnant: From the Ashes. "Difficult" for these bosses means throwing in a bunch of regular enemies and status effects. It's okay, but that's not exactly what I call a fun challenge.

Devil May Cry 5 is solid. I'm enjoying it, even if I think 1/3/4 are better.

I bought God Eater 3. Will check that out soon.

Hollow Knight's Pantheon is still whooping my ass. :lol:

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:35 am 

REST IN PEACE, NIGHTMARE KING GRIMM. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Jesus. I'm in disbelief. :lol:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:03 pm 

Nicely done! I felt like a superhero after finally kicking his ass.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:56 pm 

So, I have not played Dark Souls Remastered in months and decided to get back to it last night. The only bosses left to beat were : Black Dragon Kalameet, Manus Father of the Abyss and Gwyn Lord of Cinder. I thought I would be a bit rusty after almost a year, but I managed to kill Kalameet on my 2nd attempt last night. This morning, I defeated Manus after about 5 or 6 times. All was left was Gwyn. I did summon Solaire and Gwyn went down fast, on my first attempt! It was almost way too easy, sadly.

On NG+ now. Reached the Bell Gargoyles in no time, but got too greedy...
Fire walk with me"

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:41 pm 

Remnant is a good game, but it’s definitely Dark Souls lite. I don’t know what it is about Dark Souls, but those games will always be pure magic and wonder to me. I think it’s because of the amount of creativity and work that went into it. It feels like it’s impossible to do everything.

The boss fights in Remnant don’t reach Dark Souls levels either. They don’t have the same level of majesty and all seem to overwhelm you with side enemies to fight while you’re trying to fight the main boss. It just seems cheap comparatively.

I like the game, but it will never dethrone the king.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:54 pm 

Played a bit of Greedfall. I have to say that this is by *far* Spiders best work to date and they've really carved out a niche for themselves that no one else is filling right now. Though it's still a AA Spiders game, so: environments are as restrictive as mid-era bioware games (you can't even jump), the game is way too big to be made by hand so the asset reuse is on another level which sadly extends to enemy variety, the UI looks like a Unity asset flip, lip-synching is a kungfu movie with the A/V desynced and last but certainly not least, the optimization is atrocious (if your card has anything less than 6 gigs of vram, say goodbye to current gen textures, although it sounds like the PS4 version is in good shape).

But the thing is, that's pretty much where the complaints end. Combat is fun and fluid, writing finally doesn't sound like it was Google translated from French, there's an enourmas amount of interesting loot and unique items you can further customize and the RPG mechanics are about as deep as you could hope for in this type of game, probably on par with a PB game. The setting and art design of the game is really unique for the genre, if not in general. Oh and you can can pick your sex and, since they sourced the VO to the guys who did Witcher 3 (SIDE UK I believe) it's all good to great voice work. It's also nice to see a right tongue lashing of the evils of the Catholic church, patriarchy and imperialism in a game.

If these appeal to you I'd suggest picking it up.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

AndromedaVessel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:03 pm 

I finished the Forsaken remaster that Night Dive released last year, it's been a blast, I used to play it on N64 years ago (in fact one of my best memories of N64 was playing Forsaken with an arm cast... somehow the gamepad felt way more comfortable then). They even included some of the N64 versions of levels as bonus content. It felt refreshing to play a 6DOF game without space/alien geometries such as the ones in the Descent series.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:37 pm 

AndromedaVessel wrote:
I finished the Forsaken remaster that Night Dive released last year, it's been a blast, I used to play it on N64 years ago (in fact one of my best memories of N64 was playing Forsaken with an arm cast... somehow the gamepad felt way more comfortable then). They even included some of the N64 versions of levels as bonus content. It felt refreshing to play a 6DOF game without space/alien geometries such as the ones in the Descent series.

Forsaken multiplayer kicked ass but the single player was insanely hard, at least to my childhood self. I remember I was addicted to that "Pyrolite" song and I always selected it when playing with my friends

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:32 pm 

Unholy shit, just beat Trial of the Fool in Hollow Knight. That was so brutal. Time to take a break from this game. I am burnt the hell out lol

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:14 am 

Just started Hollow Knight yesterday, got up to where you fight the False Knight. I absolutely love the atmosphere of this game.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:09 pm 

I found a copy of Spartan: Total Warrior for $5 at a local pawn shop this weekend, so I picked it up and played for a few hours on Saturday. I haven't played it in 12 or so years, but it's actually still pretty familiar to me. It doesn't seem quite as fun as it did all those years ago, and it can be a bit frustrating at times, but for 5 bucks it was hard to turn down.

After I finish Spartan, I'm gonna get back to my Paper Mario play-through, as I found my long lost N64 a couple weeks back.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:06 pm 

FINUHLLY got my first boss cell on Dead Cells. Sheezus. Took like 25 attempts. It was fun though. Just cheesed the whole thing with tactics and the Quick Bow. Had YOLO on me but didn't actually need it.

Tutorial cleared!

AndromedaVessel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:19 pm 

Last week I finally started playing the games on a "Best of PSN" compilation I bought, what, about 6 years ago? It comes with Sound Shapes, When Vikings Attack, Fat Princess and Tokyo Jungle.

Sound Shapes is a nice little rhythm platformer where you are a record player knob collecting notes and beats along your way to the end of the level, and those notes and beats constitute the soundtrack of each level as you collect them. It comes with music by deadmau5 and Beck, but you can download more "records" (worlds) on the PS Store. I haven't even checked, so I don't know what else you can buy. Each world's art is done by different artists, I think the second world was made by the same person/team that made Salt & Sanctuary.

When Vikings Attack is an action/adventure game where you control a group of people fending off attacks made by Vikings in modern times. You grab objects and throw them at the opposite group of Vikings while avoiding the same kind of attacks by them. There's usually a boss at the end of each level. Nice graphics but overall pretty average.

Fat Princess is the one I didn't like so much. I don't know if it was the game or if I already wanted to skip this one and go for Tokyo Jungle, but I was just not interested.

I'm currently playing Tokyo Jungle and I'm loving it. It's actually the reason I bought this compilation, I wanted to play it at the time, and somehow I ended up not doing so until after 6 years. You control various animals in a world where humans have disappeared and only animals remained, and you have to survive by hunting, feeding and mating until you die of hunger or get killed by some other animal. The gameplay is pretty fun and you get to customize your animal with items you find along the way. I feel bad for the chicks you feed on, though, they don't even stand a chance. One of the DLCs is apparently a businessman, which leaves me curious as to how they did the hunting/feeding/mating process on him.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:28 am 

Razakel wrote:
Unholy shit, just beat Trial of the Fool in Hollow Knight. That was so brutal. Time to take a break from this game. I am burnt the hell out lol

Wait until Godhome. The Pantheon of Hollownest is unreal. I still need to do that + the Path of Pain. :cry:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:44 am 

I realized I probably need to take Dead Cells back down to 0BC so I can get the Spider Rune more easily. There's no consequence for jumping around from 0BC to 1BC and back right? I assume not, since that's part of the "fun".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 878, 879, 880, 881, 882, 883, 884 ... 940  Next