Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:36 pm 

I didn't move to 1BC until I felt comfortable with a few choice weapons and enemy attack patterns through my biome run.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:57 pm 

Oh wow. Really? I couldn't wait to dive in lol. I started my 1BC run immediately just to see what it was all about. So far the only really new thing is the Predator-style knife throwers. But I usually play kinda slow and trap-heavy so they haven't been much of a struggle. I'm so hyped to unlock new weapons and traps.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:57 pm 

Beating Conjunctivius on my first attempt was satisfying. Still nervous about the Slumbering Sanctuary though. It would be brutal to come all this way and die before I kill that Elite.

Edit: Uhhhhhhh..getting the rune was really easy. Not sure if I'll make it back out though.

Nope, the whole thing was super easy. Weird. Back to BC1! I only did one run on that difficulty and found that the Time Keeper (Clock maker?) was WAY harder. But my traps were also dogshit. I think I need to practice with a shield.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:53 am 

So, it looks like Blasphemy was a bust? I feel like everyone in here was losing their mind over it and now that it’s out no one gives a shit anymore.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:11 am 

The reviews put me off of buying it. 90% of them kept harping on the idea that the pixel art and atmosphere were magnificent but the gameplay gets repetitive really quickly. On watching some footage after release I was surprised how little combat options you get to spice things up. The occasional execution animations are sick but like...you just swing the same sword the same way over and over for the entire game? Doesn't seem good enough after some games like Hollow Knight and Dead Cells have changed the landscape.

I'm going to look for it on a hard sale. Like 50%. I can wait a long time.

Last edited by Jonpo on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:57 am 

Then to hell with it. I still need to give Control a shot.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:31 pm 

I don't know yet if it was a bust. Some reviewers seemed to really like it and at least one user here was singing its praises a page or so back. Seems a bit divisive though, yeah. I'm definitely going to play it after I burn through Link's Awakening, which comes out tomorrow! I'll report back with my thoughts then.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:58 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
So, it looks like Blasphemy was a bust? I feel like everyone in here was losing their mind over it and now that it’s out no one gives a shit anymore.

I mean... what do you expect exactly?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:10 am 

Morrigan wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

I mean... what do you expect exactly?

I thought I would hear more hype for this game leaving me with no choice but to buy it.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:22 am 

Blasphemous is actually extremely good, but usually for me hype kills my interest in a game. Would rather just go in without any bias from other people leaning in either negative or positive directions, personally.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:07 pm 

I'm going to get it. I like what I've seen from the videos online. It looks like what I wanted from Salt & Sanctuary.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:27 pm 

I just bought it.

I have zero self control when it comes to buying video games.

Expect a non insightful review of the game from me soon.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:00 pm 

I genuinely can't wait.

Almost beat 1BC today but I didn't have enough heals when I made it to the Hand. I'm loving the heavy turret. Also slow playing the head-detach move for safety. Cheese until you can't anymore!

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:02 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

I had that problem a few years back. I must've spent around $400 (after heavy discounts) on games, the majority of which I ended up either not playing, disliking, or otherwise losing interest in. Then I tried to refund some of them and it didn't work out. Eventually, I recouped all the costs (and more) on the Steam market. Now if I want to buy a game, I don't have to spend a single penny of real life money, as long as it's on Steam.

Then I finally realized that, for the most part, I'd rather watch other people play interesting games, which means that I don't even have to buy them anymore, even when they're practically free for me. *shrug*

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:54 pm 

Blasphemous has a pretty steep learning curve, and it seems enemy patterns are designed to be dealt with like one, maybe two ways. Timing on parries is both really loose and insanely tight, some enemies you can slide through their attacks, others you can't and must find another way to deal with them.

It's very rigid in its combat, and the way it feels is the antithesis of a Dead Cells where it's super fluid. I'm not entirely sure how fast or slow I should be going, but a lot of times I walk away from an encounter feeling like I didn't do it right, instead of finding my way to play, or a solution that works for me. It's clearly a game that has to be played on its terms, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:43 am 

Rigid combat seems to be in line with what I've heard and a bit of what I've seen.

Speaking of lack of self-control I bought The Messenger on PS4 even though I already own it on PC. I just wanted to replay it comfortably, and mess around with the Picnic Panic DLC.

Avocat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:32 am 

Any other PC players looking forward to info on Total War Warhammer 3?

AndromedaVessel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:39 am 

I finished Star Wars: Republic Commando. Really good FPS, albeit short, in a way. Three chapters, but divided into multiple little levels. Unfortunately, since the sequel was cancelled, it just ends, like just before the third act of sorts was about to begin. The team mechanics are great, and it's nice that the dialog/chatter is varied, makes the AI characters more organic and lively.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:29 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Speaking of lack of self-control I bought The Messenger on PS4 even though I already own it on PC. I just wanted to replay it comfortably, and mess around with the Picnic Panic DLC.

How is that DLC? Still haven't checked it out.

I got the Link's Awakening remake! It's fan-fucking-tastic, and the graphics are so adorable. Just beat the third dungeon last night, and I'll probably dive back in later today.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:01 pm 

I don't know yet! I think you have to beat the game to play the DLC. I'm pretty sure it's just a few extra levels and bosses, but the writing is so quippy and sharp I just want to experience it myself, and I knew it was never gonna happen on PC.

Man, I've been wanting to play the old Zelda games so bad lately. I'm really looking forward to a few newer games who might just capture that old magic. Hazelnut Bastille has my eye most of all. I'm glad the remake isn't a let down!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:09 pm 

Been super deep into Total War: Warhammer over the past few weeks and it has consumed my soul. And I am extremely excited for #3 coming out, can't wait to play with the Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfs and Daemons of Chaos!

Avocat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:21 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Been super deep into Total War: Warhammer over the past few weeks and it has consumed my soul. And I am extremely excited for #3 coming out, can't wait to play with the Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfs and Daemons of Chaos!

And hopefully Kislev!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:14 pm 

...and hopefully Cathay :uh oh:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:16 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

I had that problem a few years back. I must've spent around $400 (after heavy discounts) on games, the majority of which I ended up either not playing, disliking, or otherwise losing interest in. Then I tried to refund some of them and it didn't work out. Eventually, I recouped all the costs (and more) on the Steam market. Now if I want to buy a game, I don't have to spend a single penny of real life money, as long as it's on Steam.

Then I finally realized that, for the most part, I'd rather watch other people play interesting games, which means that I don't even have to buy them anymore, even when they're practically free for me. *shrug*

Someday I may enjoy watching others play video games, but not now. Video games are a very selfish experience for me.

I’m enjoying Blasphemous so far. Here are some thoughts:

There’s a lot of platforming involved which means a lot of cheap deaths to spikes. It seems pretty heavily influenced by Ninja Gaiden at times, so I’m real happy the character doesn’t fall backwards after taking a hit.

I like the overall “feel” and environment of the game. Even though I barely understand what most of the NPCs are explaining to my stupid ass, I have enjoyed most of the lore pertaining to the collectibles you get throughout the game.

I read a review that described the first encounters with enemies as a fun experience, but the subsequent encounters when backtracking became tedious. So far nothing has felt any more tedious than any other Metroidvania game I’ve played.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:04 am 

I bought Blasphemous last night, and I'm going out to grab Code Vein today. My old roommate is raving about Control, so I might get that too.

I'm still playing Remnant and Hollow Knight on and off. I really want the HK Platinum. :lol:

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:34 am 

If there's anybody in here playing The Division 2 on PS4, if you need build help or assistance clearing missions or going into the Dark Zone, I'm more than happy to help and show you the ropes. If you're not new and want to run some missions, the invite's open all the same.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:12 pm 

Elden Ring gameplay supposed to be unveiled at the Game Awards in December. Reddit rumor is April 2020 release date. More Demon's Souls remasters rumors too this week...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:03 pm 

The Reddit rumour is bullshit.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:26 am 

Totally forgot how insanely hard and mindbending the last two dungeons are in Link's Awakening. I thought I was good at Zelda games :(

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:42 am 

Finished GreedFall. Loved it. 50-60 hour game for 50 USD. Worth every penny. Spiders finally made an unambiguously good game, and it's BY FAR the single best story-driven action RPG I've played this year, and possibly even over 2 years. I think it slightly edged out Vampyr due to better quest design, a full character creator and mountains of great looking gear, although both are quality games. Also, the voice acting is handled by the amazing SIDE, who did Vampyr, Witcher 2/3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition. If people are interested in hearing more, just ask!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:25 pm 

Noita (witch) is a new game just released, even though as early access. I haven't bought it as yet (where's the time flying anyway?!!), but am totally sure I soon will.

It's a roguelite action game where one plays as witch. Speciality of this game is that every pixel is simulated. Fire pixel melts snow pixel, water pixel exhausts fire pixel etc. Witch can kick dead bodies, too. I love this kind of sandbox games.

Remember to check out some songs from the gane's soundtrack on Nolla Games' Youtube page, too!!!

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:19 pm 

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is hilariously broken with end game gear. I can't believe there is basically the Crissaegrim in this again obtained via crafting rather than a drop and that chip barrage basically stun locks everything. Difficulty is about limiting yourself really, the game won't ramp it up after a point.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:03 pm 

Malbordus wrote:
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is hilariously broken with end game gear. I can't believe there is basically the Crissaegrim in this again obtained via crafting rather than a drop and that chip barrage basically stun locks everything. Difficulty is about limiting yourself really, the game won't ramp it up after a point.

Yeah for a while I ran with that Crissaegrim equivalent + Welcome Company and wrecked everything, but this setup has its limitations against some late-game bosses. My end-game loadout was basically stacking int + spamming Void Ray (it's how I beat Iga), and then I used Iga's shard to nuke everything else in seconds... :D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:00 am 

Chisel barrage shard and timestop was my go to for later game bosses as its basically a shotgun blast to the face. This was the best way to get Gremory's medal. OD wasanother story, but Beast guardian provided pretty good defence against almost everything.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:50 pm 

I picked up Cold Vein and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. It's going to be a good week!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:46 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
I picked up Cold Vein and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. It's going to be a good week!

Tell me all your thoughts (on God) about Code Vein. I just got Control over the weekend, but I’m ALWAYS in the market to blow more money on video games.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:02 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
MaleficDevilry wrote:

Tell me all your thoughts (on God) about Code Vein. I just got Control over the weekend, but I’m ALWAYS in the market to blow more money on video games.

Will do! I hear Control is awesome. What do you think?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:18 pm 

Unlocking the Atlantis DLC in AC Odyssey is pure padding bullshit with the modern-day grave shenanigans, good gods.

That said, once you do unlock the new area... good gods is it PRETTY :o

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:10 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Unlocking the Atlantis DLC in AC Odyssey is pure padding bullshit with the modern-day grave shenanigans, good gods.

That said, once you do unlock the new area... good gods is it PRETTY :o

If there's one thing Ubisoft is good at, it's whipping their broken-down slaves programmers into making eye candy.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:52 pm 

Ugh. Doom Eternal delayed 4 months. Oh well, sure it'll be worth it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 879, 880, 881, 882, 883, 884, 885 ... 940  Next