Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 470932
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:24 pm 

For some stupid reason, the previous version of this thread was locked. So I'm opening a new one.

I asked what albums from Sepultura and Soulfly were not metal. In the case of Soulfly, I've been answered. But not for Sepultura. So I want to know which albums frpm Sepultura are not metal. I'd like the mods to answer this question as well.

I ask because I want a better understanding of what's REALLY metal and what's not. I used to think Hatebreed was metal!

Please note that this discussion can include ANY band, not just Sepultura and Soulfly.

Last edited by Morrigan on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User was warned for this post: mod-whining, disregarding moderation

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:32 pm 

So the mods closed your post and you decided to open a new one. Brilliant!

~Guest 470932
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:44 pm 

What choice did I have?

Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:01 pm 

Metalheadgamer wrote:
What choice did I have?

Accept the fact that you’re being immature and as such the mods decided that there is no need for a thread about this let alone 2.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:03 pm 

You know what's good stuff? Era 1 Mortiis.

~Guest 470932
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:13 pm 

Pichushkin wrote:
Metalheadgamer wrote:
What choice did I have?

Accept the fact that you’re being immature and as such the mods decided that there is no need for a thread about this let alone 2.

Or maybe I just don't accept that my thread was closed for NO VALID REASON, which is bullshit. I don't see that as being immature.

~Guest 470932
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:15 pm 

Now, back on topic. Which albums from Sepultura are not metal?

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:28 pm 

The only Sepultura album that IS metal is Roots. This is pretty common knowledge.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:36 pm 

Every sepultura album is metal imho, but only a few are any good.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:04 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Every sepultura album is metal imho, but only a few are any good.

AGREED, FRIEND.

Ulver will be a big hit in this thread in the moments before it gets sent into the sun again, probably Anathema and Volbeat too. WHO KNOWS MAYBE EVEN THE TALLICA BOYZ.

Early RIP to this thread!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:08 pm 

Your other thread had very bad framing by insisting only mods answer. It basically came across as debating site policy, which is neither suited for this forum, nor something we are interested in doing with non-staff to begin with.

Moreover, it's extremely poor form to re-post a thread that a moderator has locked. If you feel the moderator's lock post did not sufficiently explain the lock, you should have sent them a PM, not simply remake the thread with a whiny and petulantly tone. Do not do this again, please. Consider this a formal warning.

That said, if this community wants to discuss non-metal albums by metal bands or whatever... well, I don't necessarily mind hosting this discussion if y'all want to, though don't expect mods to participate.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 470932
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:21 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Your other thread had very bad framing by insisting only mods answer. It basically came across as debating site policy, which is neither suited for this forum, nor something we are interested in doing with non-staff to begin with.

Moreover, it's extremely poor form to re-post a thread that a moderator was locked. If you feel the moderator's lock post did not sufficiently explain the lock, you should have sent them a PM, not simply remake the thread with a whiny and petulantly tone. Do not do this again, please. Consider this a formal warning.

That said, if this community wants to discuss non-metal albums by metal bands or whatever... well, I don't necessarily mind hosting this discussion if y'all want to, though don't expect mods to participate.

Ok, fine.

~Guest 470932
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:23 pm 

But anyway, back on topic. I like all Sepultura albums except for roots, against, nation and roorback. In your opinions, is it because they are nu metal, or simply bad groove metal albums? Because on the website, they say "Groove/Thrash metal, Nu metal", implying that multiple albums have been nu metal. But I'm not sure.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:31 pm 

I'm curious why you wanted to know this specifically from the moderators. I mean, it doesn't have any effect on Sepultura on the site if all their albums are considered metal or only the first four albums are considered metal, makes no different for them hear since the rules say as long as there's one metal album in the discography, the band gets added to the site, even if the entire rest of the discography has nothing to do with metal, see Def Leppard or Hank Williams III for example. So what's the important part that you specifically need the moderators for? In fact, considering it has no impact on site policy, I don't even think many moderators ever even think about the metalness of Sepultura's later albums unless any of them are die hard Sepultura fans. In fact I think I can count on one hand the people I have talked to on this forum - mods and non-mods alike - who have ever even listened to post-Max Sepultura more than once. Myself I think I maybe heard three songs in total, if that.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:46 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Hank Williams III

Holy HELL, if this thread does nothing else for anyone, it made me realize Hank III is on the archives! I never knew. Love that.

~Guest 470932
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:20 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I'm curious why you wanted to know this specifically from the moderators. I mean, it doesn't have any effect on Sepultura on the site if all their albums are considered metal or only the first four albums are considered metal, makes no different for them hear since the rules say as long as there's one metal album in the discography, the band gets added to the site, even if the entire rest of the discography has nothing to do with metal, see Def Leppard or Hank Williams III for example. So what's the important part that you specifically need the moderators for? In fact, considering it has no impact on site policy, I don't even think many moderators ever even think about the metalness of Sepultura's later albums unless any of them are die hard Sepultura fans. In fact I think I can count on one hand the people I have talked to on this forum - mods and non-mods alike - who have ever even listened to post-Max Sepultura more than once. Myself I think I maybe heard three songs in total, if that.

Because the moderators seem very sure of what they deem to be metal and what's not, so I wanted to know their opinion on this. For my own personal education. But it seems they don't want to talk about it. And to be honest, I listened to all the albums from Dante XXI to TMBHAHMBTH, and I can tell you, THEY'RE FUCKING AWESOME! Way better than their mid period albums! By far!

GOOFAM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:44 pm 

On the hard rock side, I'd guess Knights of the New Thunder is the album that got TNT in and the rest of their stuff wouldn't qualify, a la Def Leppard.

Axxis' first eight and last two albums aren't metal by the site's description either. The four in the middle are.

Crimson Glory's Strange and Beautiful isn't metal.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:25 pm 

Do you consider the third Witchfinder General album metal? I don't know if I get too hung up on the vocals if it sounds like fucking Joe Cocker to me.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:29 am 

You know what rocks? That song Cuban Pete in the Mask.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:14 am 

The final Pagan Altar album really wasn't very metal at all, but I absolutely adore it. The closer never fails to make me misty eyed.

~Guest 470932
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:34 am 

Are Sepultura's albums from roots to roorback groove metal or nu metal?

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:57 am 

Wilytank wrote:
You know what's good stuff? Era 1 Mortiis.

I sign this!

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:01 am 

Slave To The Grind is a great album in my opinion, but apart from the title track it's not metal. The debut is a fun album to listen but none of it is metal. The post-Seb Bach era stuff is utter wank and not metal. So really only one is metal but I am still happy that Skid Row are on the archives as I bet they will have been a stepping stone for many people getting into heavier stuff.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:04 am 

droneriot wrote:
Do you consider the third Witchfinder General album metal? I don't know if I get too hung up on the vocals if it sounds like fucking Joe Cocker to me.

According to my last fm, I've not heard that thing in 7 years. My only real memory is a pack a day smoking blues type singer, in the vein of Al Atkins. Is it worth giving up an hour of my life to revisit it? I adore everything else the band did.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:07 am 

jimbies wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Hank Williams III

Holy HELL, if this thread does nothing else for anyone, it made me realize Hank III is on the archives! I never knew. Love that.

That doom album he released in 2011 was pretty sweet, rocky execution but great concept. I hope he releases something soon; he's been rather quiet lately.

Also, that third Witchfinder General was pretty mediocre. Best forgotten really.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:08 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
The final Pagan Altar album really wasn't very metal at all, but I absolutely adore it. The closer never fails to make me misty eyed.

Really? I remember most of it being metal in a very old-Sabbath way. But I suppose it was more laid back than some. I want to spin it now.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:01 am 

There are a lot of instrumental groups and solo guitarists who have done a massive number of non-metal albums. Stuff from Marty Friedman, Buckethead, Jason Becker, etc.

You’ll probably find a number of drone artists who released a few drone doom albums and then have only ambient drone in the rest of their discography. I don’t think Nadja and Earth release much metal anymore.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:43 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
There are a lot of instrumental groups and solo guitarists who have done a massive number of non-metal albums. Stuff from Marty Friedman, Buckethead, Jason Becker, etc.

You’ll probably find a number of drone artists who released a few drone doom albums and then have only ambient drone in the rest of their discography. I don’t think Nadja and Earth release much metal anymore.

Yeah stuff like the scenes and Marty's other instrumental rock album and buckethead's crapy KFC heads techno album are definently not metal but because they have at least one metal album they have been added to the wiki. Also the recently added czech band Olympia is added to this wiki based on only one album.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:51 am 

droneriot wrote:

If you mean resurrected, of course it is metal man. If that album is not metal, then ghost shouldn't be in the MA

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:44 pm 

nightbreaker33 wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Yeah stuff like the scenes and Marty's other instrumental rock album and buckethead's crapy KFC heads techno album are definently not metal but because they have at least one metal album they have been added to the wiki. Also the recently added czech band Olympia is added to this wiki based on only one album.

Olympic, not Olympia.

Infant Annihilator only got added here on the basis of their newest album.

Diego_DAR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:32 pm 

What do you think about Atrocity's "Die Liebe" feat. "Das Ich". Would you consider that metal?

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:12 am 

"Chameleon" by Helloween.

This album is treated unfairly. I would say that this album is their least metal, it's sort of borderline hard-rock-ish. There are some metal songs like "Giants" which is the best song on the album but in general, yeah... it doesn't feel very metal, isn't it? The album isn't really that bad if you are willing to open your mind to it. By a "bad" album standard and compared to others, this blows them out of the water.

Generally, each track on this album has its own rule. Some are rock, some are metal and even some sounds very Bon Jovi-ish. Take it for what it is.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:48 am 

There are bands that are chosen into in the Archives who have one metal album in their sometimes very long discography. I've occasionally stumbled upon some of them, but cannot remember any names now, sorry. I do not mean bands that put out one demo or album and then split up.

I've been thinking, "why isn't Alice Cooper in, because of his marvellous 'Raise Your Fist and Yell'?!?!?!"

EDIT: Yeah, Skid Row... And how about The Almighty (England)? The latter are surely heavier... It's more of a borderline case than Skid Row, which to me are hard rock even if they had some double kick drumming and heavier chugging riffs a couple of times.

EDIT2: The latest Blind Guardian is metal without any rock instrumentation?

Reply to topic