Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:17 am 

Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is pretty amazing and warms the heart of this 80s kid. It's puppets and fantasy, suitable for the whole family (although there were a couple of scenes that were definitely too much for kids...) But regardless of tastes, the voices of the Skeksis characters would be enough reason to watch this. Simon Pegg and Mark Hamill particularly...

Also enjoyed The Boys very much. Currently watching A Carnival Row with the wife, we like it but I'm not enthusiastic.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:04 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is pretty amazing and warms the heart of this 80s kid. It's puppets and fantasy, suitable for the whole family (although there were a couple of scenes that were definitely too much for kids...) But regardless of tastes, the voices of the Skeksis characters would be enough reason to watch this. Simon Pegg and Mark Hamill particularly...

HmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:52 am 

I watched the Wu-Tang mini-series on Hulu last night, episode 1. I originally put it on with the intention to nap to it but I was lightning struck from the first moment. I've been a die-hard Wu fan since the 90s when I discovered hardcore hip hop through my best friends older siblings. I was possessed by the jagged rhyme patterns and gritty beats. Never really looked back on that front, my first musical obsession.

The show opens literally with Raekwon (hasn't taken his rap name yet) spraying down Ghostface's (also hasn't taken his rap name) apartment with a fucking Tec-9. I thought I had a general idea of the group history and how they came together, it's hard for me to believe this is true but maybe they really were part of rival drug gangs. Bobby Digital is caught in the middle just wanting to make music, living life under the thumb of his brother who is literally RUNNING the streets.

I'm hooked.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:55 am 

So I gave the first episode of the new Creepshow series a shot--as it was free(ish) on Amazon. It didn't quite capture the iconic feel of the original film, but it wasn't too bad, overall. I was really curious how they were going to even film Gray Matter, which is from a King short story I read when I was a teenager. I always liked that one, but was a little disappointed in how the monster looked. It was both impressive and a bit of a disappointment.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:34 pm 

^Same feeling for "Gray Matter," but "House of the Head" was perfect in how outright creepy it was. Not necessarily the same Creepshow vibe of horrific dark humor, but really nice.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:29 am 

The first three eps were all pretty fun for me. Not all of them are that great, but I've enjoyed all of them enough so far. Haven't seen this latest one yet though. I just dig the old school, playful vibe - like Trick R Treat style camp in a way.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:36 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Man, that tribbles Short Trek was a tonal mess. Not to mention in general. :|

It was honestly the most fun I've had with a Star Trek thing since The Doctor episodes from Voyager. H. Jon Benjamin fucking rules.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:46 pm 

I watched the entire Black Summer season 1 over the weekend with my partner, who had seen the first 3 episodes and pulled me in. I think there might have been some discussion about this show lately, but I missed all of it at the time.

This is how you do zombie shit. Straight up. Every single episode (there are only 8) is RIDICULOUSLY frenetic, tense, anxiety-inducing. These are 28 Days Later zombies. Medical zombies. They're fast, they turn instantly, and you don't have to be bit to become one. It makes for a fantastic setting. Every episode is chopped up into little vignettes with individual "titles" and it makes the episodes of varying length fly passed.

The final episode is 20 minutes. Who even does that? I respect them so much. I couldn't put the show down until it was over.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:21 am 

This new Watchmen show is really something so far. Very ambitious.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:50 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
^Same feeling for "Gray Matter," but "House of the Head" was perfect in how outright creepy it was. Not necessarily the same Creepshow vibe of horrific dark humor, but really nice.

Yeah it was pretty clever, and I have to agree, it did miss some of the standard Creepshow mood. So, my expectations were pretty low, but I'm intrigued enough that I may pay to watch the rest.

To be fair, I was really hoping Joe Hill's effort to revive Tales from the Darkside would succeed, but since it hasn't, it's fair for me to give this a chance. I think it was Tom Savini that said the Tales from the Darkside move should be considered Creepshow 3.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:27 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Dungeon_Vic wrote:

HmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm!

:) Yup! My daughter has already adopted that and incorporated it in her everyday speech; "What's for food?" "Burgers" "HmmmmmMMMMmmmm!"

Has anyone seen the movie? We're planning on seeing it soon. How does it compare and when does it take place?

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:15 am 

Huh? The movie is like super famous and that's why people were hyped for the show! I actually just watched it again last night and thought it held up extraordinarily well. I'm not sure how far after the prequel events it takes place. There are some really stock standard fantasy tropes and stuff at play, but there are still some fun elements to the story and some really engaging bits of writing here and there to keep things interesting narrative-wise, so it doesn't only rely on the wonderful puppetry to keep you entertained. Cult(?) classic for a reason.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:44 am 

I had never heard of the movie before, I learnt about the show because Netflix was pushing it on my first page and I asked some people and they told me really good things about the series (totally justified). I then found out about the movie but I don't think it was ever popular in Greece.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:54 am 

Well that's certainly surprising. I would've thought fantasy stuff like that would've had pretty broad appeal across Europe. To me this is like hearing about someone playing Alien: Isolation and then finding out it's based on some movie or something.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:32 am 

I am sure the movie is much more popular in the UK for example. I can't speak for the whole of Europe, just Greece. Could be that I am the only one who had no idea what this was too, I guess but I am fairly certain this wasn't very famous. I just looked at imdb and there is no official release date for Greece but for the DVD in 2005... And a weird triple translation for its title. Maybe it didn't even come out her originally.

But I am pretty sure the Alien series is waaay more famous! :P

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:18 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
I am sure the movie is much more popular in the UK for example. I can't speak for the whole of Europe, just Greece. Could be that I am the only one who had no idea what this was too, I guess but I am fairly certain this wasn't very famous. I just looked at imdb and there is no official release date for Greece but for the DVD in 2005... And a weird triple translation for its title. Maybe it didn't even come out her originally.

But I am pretty sure the Alien series is waaay more famous! :P

Same thing here, i swear i've never heard even a mention of it... :lol:

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:37 am 

Ok, watched all the current episodes of Creepshow so far. It's decent. Some good stuff there and some very creative stories. While I admire the comic book throw-back elements a la the original film, I don't feel they're quite making them work here. A big failing of the show is it's not getting the music right. It doesn't carry the same eerie tone or impact, and the series loses some of it's strength in that. The opening credits also sound too much like the Masters of Horror intro. To be fair, the last episode did have the music right in one story, which is what made it stand out that the rest of the series is lacking it.

*Checks notes*

Mick Garris developed Masters of Horror and Greg Nicotero produced on Creepshow (series), but they must have used the same people to do the intro music. Either way, when the intro hits, I don't feel "Creepshow", I feel "Masters of Horror," and it skews the mood.

I am impressed by the actors appearing in the series, however. One of my favorites, Jeffrey Combs is in an episode. Bruce Davison, Tricia Helfer, Adrienne Barbeau (who was in the original movie), David Arquette, etc. I would like a lot more Stephen King adaptions, since he was the writer of the first two films and for one segment in the Tales From the Darkside movie (and like 2 or 3 episodes of the show).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:47 am 

I've enjoyed them all. Some are just OK, but others like that one about the woman trapped in the elevator have been great. It's just campy fun. The trick or treating one and the 'man in the suitcase' thing were fun.

Saw the first episode of the new BoJack this morning. God, what a crushingly good show. Just fucking arresting, really.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:10 am 

The Trick or Treat one is on a shortlist of my favorite horror shorts, along with "Father's Day" from that holiday horror anthology.

darkeningday wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:56 pm 

Assuming Bojack is out all in one batch? I'll get on that soon - currently working my way through The Dark Crystal show. We'll see where it goes but the production values are even beyond the movie, and I'm very excited.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:07 pm 

Creepshow series has been really uneven for me. First episode was really promising, but then it went pretty downhill. The werewolf short in the second episode was amazingly bad - pretty much a 20 minute retelling of Dog Soldiers but just...so shitty. It's still fun enough that I'll keep going, but I have to say I'm disappointed that it's not better than it is.

Also I've gotta chime in on Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance: a fucking masterpiece! Everything about it was incredible, and it only got better as it went on. Blew my hopeful expectations into space. So, so good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:02 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Assuming Bojack is out all in one batch? I'll get on that soon

It's just the first eight episodes. There will be eight more in January.

That formula did not go well for Kimmy Schmidt this year, but I am hoping BoJack can pull it off.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:45 pm 

Watched the first few episodes of Creepshow and it's actually intense how much it sucks. I think the only good short was the man in the suitcase one, and even that was mostly just good by comparison.

I won't be watching more of it.

Also the creep not talking is super lame.

As for Bojack, I'm waiting till January. Splitting up episodes like that is retarded.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:24 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

His inclusion is lazy as hell. It's weird that he's even there when they don't make any effort to have some kind of framing narrative. He's just fucking pointless.

On a better note, I've watched the first three episodes of Marianne on Netflix and it's pretty damn great so far. Interesting characters, cool premise, and legitimately scary. If you want non-campy horror, highly recommended.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:30 pm 

Daybreak might be my new favorite show.

darkeningday wrote:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:35 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

His inclusion is lazy as hell. It's weird that he's even there when they don't make any effort to have some kind of framing narrative. He's just fucking pointless.

On a better note, I've watched the first three episodes of Marianne on Netflix and it's pretty damn great so far. Interesting characters, cool premise, and legitimately scary. If you want non-campy horror, highly recommended.

Yeah, for real. Maybe they don't want to be compared to Tales from the Crypt too much or something but then, why include him at all? I get the nostalgia for the Creepshow "brand" but the Creep there and the Creep here is night and day.

As for Marianna, I feel like it looks bad but it seems like everyone and their mother is hailing it as some kind of fantastic, almost transformative experience.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:39 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
As for Marianna, I feel like it looks bad but it seems like everyone and their mother is hailing it as some kind of fantastic, almost transformative experience.

I hadn't heard anything about it before checking it out, but it's good.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:25 am 

That "the finger" ep of Creepshow was abysmal. This coming from a DJ Qualls fan.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:17 am 

Razakel wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

I hadn't heard anything about it before checking it out, but it's good.

I tried the first episode and it was promising. Not sure I'd say it's revolutionary or whatever, but I'll have to get around to checking out more sometime soon to see what everyone's raving about.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:29 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Daybreak might be my new favorite show.

Yep. Fucking loved it, and the worst episode ended up mattering in a big way for the finale. Mad Max meets John Hughes with a big dose of metacomedy.

darkeningday wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:35 am 

Finished The Dark Crystal. I pretty much loved it, though it took a little warming up to at first. Some really touching moments, gorgeous visuals, good score, far more gripping storytelling than the movie. My only problem with it was that tonally it got pretty fucking dark sometimes, definitely not at all appropriate for kids, but then a lot of other times they shied away from showing too much violence. I wondered if they were really trying to keep it somewhat kid friendly, or if it was a limitation of the puppetry, or what. But still, great show.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:34 pm 

Disney+ fired up yesterday, which I am not ashamed to say I got purely to watch The Mandalorian. I think that Star Ward fans will enjoy this show. It has a good Star Wars vibe to it, and very high production values. They seriously did not cheap out on this series. It also starts filling in some post-Empire SW canon, since it takes place after the fall of the Empire, some time after ROTJ. So that's neat. First episode has a really good payoff too, for SW fans.

For non-fans, you'll like it too if you're into sci-fi action shows at all. You're going to have some questions about things, but it's enough of a good show that it doesn't rely too heavily on being a good Star Wars show. Some fan service, not important. You'll like it anyway on its own merit.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 pm 

I liked the first episode well enough. Curious to see where it's going.

The robot was funny. :)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:36 am 

re Mandalorian, I saw a review saying it was good enough to make me want to keep watching, and forgettable enough that I wouldn’t want to watch the pilot again.

Sounds about right to me. Depends on where they take it from here, hoping it develops.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:54 pm 

I hate myself so I finished the entirety of season 1 of Creepshow. It had its moments of being almost a 6/10 but it's honestly just a poorly made, wooden, and cheap show with mostly poor acting and writing.

How CHEAP it is can really not be overstated. It permeates every aspect of the production, but not in a charming way.

It's crazy when you look at the pedigree and who was involved, and when you look at all the reviews blowing smoke up its ass.

Shame.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:39 pm 

Yeah, by the time the final episode finished I had to ask myself why I bothered. I wasn't expecting something as good as the first movie, but I also wasn't expecting it to be as cheap and bad as it was. It was also inconsistently cheap. I feel like some episodes or even segments in one episode looked way shittier than other segments. Pretty damn strange. Will not both with a second season unless I hear it somehow turned out way better.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:42 pm 

The first half of BoJack season 6 is legitimately outstanding, especially the 7th episode "The Face of Depression." The second half is going to be fucking apocalyptic.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:00 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Will not both with a second season unless I hear it somehow turned out way better.

But therein lies the rub. If you look online, this season was super well-received across the board. Bizzare stuff.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:42 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
The first half of BoJack season 6 is legitimately outstanding, especially the 7th episode "The Face of Depression." The second half is going to be fucking apocalyptic.

Spoiler: show
He's probably gonna get arrested in the second half. It's going to be so much worse than I thought for him.

Re: Creepshow, yeah it wasn't anything great. I enjoyed it as a weird little popcorn thing to drink a beer while watching. Certainly not substantial.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:31 pm 

Fuck that. In order to watch the new version of The Twilight Zone I have to pay an extra fee with their all access shit.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158 ... 182  Next