Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
signumignitum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:51 pm 

It looks like Epta Astera (USA) is blacklisted. They have a new album, and I think it would be worth revisiting.

A mod previously said of their 2013 album,
Quote:
What I'm hearing is Gregorian chanting mixed with some sort of non-metallic/fake guitars industrial background. Pretty good and interesting though.

There's some metal here and there such as on the "Semper Reformanda" EP but not enough of it, it's just a (small) part of his sound.

With their new 2019 album, I don't think this is an apt characterization anymore. For example this is quite metal, especially in the guitars:
Youtube: show

And there are black/doom metal elements throughout the album, moreso than on previous ones. They are also signed to a black metal label.

Full album here: https://eptaastera.bandcamp.com

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:02 pm 

I listened to it and the blacklisting still applies. Not predominantly metal. Also, it doesn't matter what label a band is signed to.

signumignitum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:50 pm 

Not to argue, just looking for the rationale—could I ask what you mean by "not predominantly metal"? Is that determined on a per-song basis (in which case all of them except one interlude track are metal), or by time within songs spent in heavy sections (I could calculate this across the album if you're interested), or by subjective impression (in which case could I ask for a second opinion)? Either way I don't see how it wouldn't count as predominantly metal.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:30 pm 

I can give you a second opinion - I agree with Azmodes. It's highly possible I'm not the second mod to listen, there might have been an internal staff discussion that I've missed. We don't calculate by the second the percentage of metal sections in an album (though some of our users do). When we think a band's sound is primarily rooted in metal, we accept it. If the influences are elsewhere and the metal riffs are not abundant enough, we reject the band. Your definition of metal may well be different from ours, which is fine, it's impossible to please everyone. We do not consider ourselves to be the supreme authority on what is or is not metal, but as a metal encyclopaedia, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

The blacklist note for this particular band says: "A mixture of folk rock, industrial rock and neofolk with very little metal in it."

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:46 am 

Basically, the impression I got is what Metantoine wrote in 2013, which was quoted in the OP. Not based in metal riffing.

Reply to topic