Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:42 am 

Hey hey hey!, you know what time it is! It's that time of year again, and once again I will be managing:

THE ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR POLL

How exactly does this work you ask? Why it's simple! All you need to do is:

Select your top ten:
This is very easy, all you need to do is choose your top ten albums of the year.

PM your top ten, in order, to me, BastardHead:
It's that simple, just make a top ten and send it to me, I'll take care of all the number crunching nonsense!

What happens next is that I will assign each position a point value, grand prix style, so that first place votes are seen as more valuable than second place, and so on. The point values are as follows:

1 = 25 points
2 = 18 points
3 = 15 points
4 = 12 points
5 = 10 points
6 = 8 points
7 = 6 points
8 = 4 points
9 = 2 points
10 = 1 point

That may seem confusing and semi random for people who don't follow F1, but the idea of the point system being set up the way it is is that consistency is valued over a lucky win. So an album with twenty third place votes will fare better than one with ten first place votes. Regardless, we want you to put some good thought into this. Every vote counts! The idea is to get a collective snapshot of what we, as MA forumgoers, see to be the best albums of the year. So give it a lot of thought and let your voice be heard!

As with all things, there are a few guidelines we ask you to follow, but they're all quite simple, common sense rules.

1) METAL ONLY!: This is for the METAL Archives, so it would be really friggin' weird if a bunch of non-metal clogged up the final chart. I don't care how great the new Lingua Ignota album is, metal only. This will be measured by whether or not a band is on the archives. I don't claim to know every band, but I'll crosscheck ones I don't know against the database here, and if they don't have a page, your whole ballot goes in the internetical trash. This is very simple. The only exception is for bands who are on the archives but released a non-metal album, simply because I'm not about to split hairs and listen to every single album myself to make sure they all qualify. So to make it easy: An album like Opeth's new one is eligible, but Kvelertak is not.

2) Make sure you vote for ten albums: If you can't think of ten great albums from this year, you don't really have any place deciding what was the best of the year.

3) Put your list in order: I'm assigning point values, it's important that they're in order. If you just give me something alphabetically with no determined ordering, I'll either just discard the entire ballot or change every vote to the new Stench of Virginity album out of spite. In the event of a tie, the album with more higher placed votes counts, so an album with ten votes all for fourth place will rank above one with a hundred and twenty votes only for tenth place, so please, order them!

4) New, original material only: So no live albums or compilations or anything like that. This is simply so no pointless "best of" release or something shows up. Those are never in play unless it's something totally rerecorded and treated as a new release, which to my knowledge is extremely rare, and if there is such a case that you loved and want to vote for, just use your best judgment as to whether or not it's a standalone release or simply a "best of" collection with a new vocalist or something. So full lengths, demos, EPs, splits, etc. are all fair game. Live albums, comps, box sets, rereleases, deluxe editions, etc. are not.

5) Only albums actually released in 2019: This should go without saying but I want to make it clear just in case. Be sure it actually came out this year, if you vote for some 2020 album because it was leaked in November, I will invent a way to slap you through your monitor.

6) One ballot per user: Again, should go without saying, but don't try to vote multiple times to inflate the numbers. I will notice and I'll just wipe your whole vote if you decide to be a numbskull.

7) Your account must have been registered before this thread was created: This shouldn't apply to pretty much all of you, but it's just to prevent duplicate sockpuppet accounts trying to game the system. Don't do that.

8) Don't be a dick: We're running on the honor system here, and I obviously can't police the intentions of everybody who votes, but please don't be a troll who votes in a bunch of crap you've never heard of for yuks. Nor should you vote in things you actually think are terrible as some weird form of protest. Nor should you vote the same album ten times. Nor should you vote for something your own band released. We're trusting you to take this seriously enough to have fun with this but not act like an idiot, just use common sense and don't waste our time.

And that's all there is to it! This thread is open for questions, simple discussion and nothing more. If you want to say "Hey guys, if you liked the new Vomit Sodomy record, be sure to check out the new Goat Fucking Moonpocalypse too!" or something, that's more than welcome! The more people know about great albums, the better! The whole idea here is to get a snapshot of how MA feels and hopefully to introduce everybody to some great stuff they may not have heard of before. As always, I ask that you please don't post your lists themselves simply because I don't want people to jigger their own lists in some sort of goofy sabotage attempt (this was a real possibility last year with the top two albums being such a photo finish). I know it seems dumb since I encourage discussion and obviously I can't police y'all outside this thread, but it's a simple thing I ask just to keep the ballots and final results as secret as possible until the time of unveiling. Talk about your favorites or your predictions or little known gems that deserve some last minute visibility all you want, but please keep the ranks and numbers out of it until the final thread when the results are posted. Please and thank you.

Also, just for fun and to shine some light on the fresh faces in the scene, there will also be an optional side vote for:

DEBUT OF THE YEAR

You don't have to vote for this if you don't want to, but if you'd like to, you can also include ONE (1) vote for debut of the year. A valid debut is considered the same as above: new original material in any format. As long as it's their FIRST of the type. So a band's first ever release is obviously okay, but say a band has a demo that got them noticed and signed, and just released a full length debut this year, that full length would also count as long as it was released in 2019. ONLY VOTE FOR ONE OF THESE. Again, it's just a fun sidebar, and not required (though last year we had a comparatively piddly amount of votes for this, but I really like the idea so I'm going for it again but encourage people a little bit harder to actually vote for it.

Polls are open until January 1st, 2020, MA time (so Eastern, or GMT -05:00). I NEED TO STRESS THAT THIS IS THE CLOSED TIME. Every year there are a few people who misinterpret the time as the 1st being the last day to submit, but really that's the day when you can't submit any further. The results should go up on the 1st if all goes according to plan, so it would be insane to still take votes while I'm in the several-hour process of transferring everything from the spreadsheet to a forum post. ONCE THE YEAR CHANGES, THE POLLS ARE CLOSED, PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND THIS!

And yes I know there are always some people dissatisfied with this because some albums are released in late December, but we went through this entire song and dance last year and I even put it up for a vote, and the way we've been doing it without incident for the past several years wound up winning anyway and I'm just not going through that whole jive again. Deadline is final. I'm sorry if you're dissatisfied. Please send all hate mail to Zelkiiro.

Feel free to send me your votes whenever you feel comfortable with your list and I will post the results as soon as I can after they close, likely within the week. Have fun and happy voting!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:49 am 

Thanks for doing this again BH!!

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:47 am 

Thanks BH, really looking forward to it again. Still waiting on a lot released this year so I will be late.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Hey hey hey!, you know what time it is! It's that time of year again, and once again I will be managing:
THE ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR POLL

Wow! Another year. Again.

Thanks! :beer:

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:13 am 

no obvious winner this year for me so will have to think about it for a min after the challenge.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:13 pm 

2019 has been a pretty dismal year for me. Hopefully this last batch of albums from the final quarter will redeem it.

EDIT: Oh great, a lot of promising albums are coming out within the first few weeks of 2020. Fuck you, 2019, you scared them all off!

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:34 pm 

This year's been quite a good one for me, but then again this year is the first one where I've listened to loads of new metal. I've been anticipating this poll for a while and as such starting from July I made an effort to listen to more new metal so I could form a list that's more accurate than those I made in previous years.

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:45 pm 

As always, thanks for doing this

For all our sakes, I hope Nortt isn’t releasing another late December album...

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:06 pm 

Oh yes, where are my manners! Thanks for doing this as always, BH.

Already sent my list in. Yeah yeah, late releases and all, but I think after hearing 90+ albums that are eligible this year I've found all the ones that are going to blow me away the most. I'm already impatient for the list to be released :P

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:43 pm 

Great! I haven't heard as muchs albums as I did last year, but I've definitely enjoyed some to make my list!

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:58 pm 

Thanks as always for doing this, BastardHead!

I'm a colossal nerd and input every purchase in a spreadsheet (I buy every album I even mildly enjoy) with columns for genre, release year, and my personal rating on a 1-10 scale. So far for 2019 I'm at 110 albums with 80 of them ranked so my list is pretty much done, not counting the stuff I still need to check out, which I usually spend my whole December doing via my Bandcamp Wishlist and Empath. Lots of quality stuff but 2019 is the first year in a while that didn't have a "perfect" album imo.

How does everyone else keep track of their favorites? Spotify and LastFM? iTunes play counts? Notes on your phone? Just whatever comes to mind? I can't imagine trying to keep track of music without a spreadsheet, but I also don't know anyone else that does it this way so I'd love to hear everyone's methodology.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:41 pm 

I use the spreadsheet method too, though mainly to keep track of what I own. I suck at keeping the ratings up to date, so I have 65 releases from this year to get through. Going to be a very metal December.

Super props to BH for doing this every year. Good source of albums to try out, even though all of you are always wrong. :-P

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:41 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
How does everyone else keep track of their favorites?

From the first record of the year I hear, I type it on a bulleted list on TextEdit. (This year, the first one was indie rock band Deerhunter's album "Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?", with the first metal record being Veldes' "Flameless"). When I hear my second album of the year, I decide if it's better or worse than the first. I keep entering over and over all year. When I re-listen to a record, I will move it's position around accordingly. Four times a year I do a complete revamp (end of march, end of june, end of september, end of december)

It gets tricky as fuck after about the #80-#100 mark (sometimes even earlier) because the ones I didn't like much all blend together at the bottom of the mess. But I can usually compile a decent top 100 every year. This year I heard WAY too many new albums. I'm over 300, which makes the bottom of the stuff I didn't like impossible to rank properly, so I've just concentrated on making a top 100 for the year, and I currently have it down to 142. Still have a month to go, and I listen to music basically all day (even if sometimes it becomes background, I usually put on stuff I've absorbed properly for those times, though)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:07 pm 

I've never had a consistent way of doing it. Years ago, back in my egregious pirate days, I would end the year by scrolling through itunes sorted by year and saying "Yeah that's a four I guess". 2012 was the first year I did it like jimbies did and I would keep a running list, slotting in albums where I felt they belonged as I heard them and then occasionally doing big reshuffles. 2013-2017 I would just stick to itunes, compile the 25-30 albums I thought feasibly had a shot at ranking on my list and sorting them out after the fact. Last year I had migrated almost entirely away from slsk and torrents and just started paying for Spotify, which made actually sorting through everything more difficult since I tend to not save albums and instead just search them whenever I want to listen, so I chucked every album I'd call "very good" in a playlist and then sorted it all out at the end of the year again. This year I started reviewing promos again, so once again my itunes was pretty full of new stuff, but since I'm still using Spotify for the bigger releases, I didn't really have one convenient place for everything to go, so I finally opened a spreadsheet. I didn't meticulously maintain it all year, I only started it in like late October, and again I only bothered inputting the stuff I liked a lot. I sorted everything with a score out of ten (which was kinda pointless since I didn't put it anything I wouldn't score over an 8 anyway), and a separate column with a letter grade representing how sure I was of the score. As the year wound down and I stopped finding new releases, I'd see what had a low letter grade and give it a relisten to see if the number score would change. I don't solidify my own list at the beginning of the month so in a week or two I'll have it more or less done and then I'll sort it.

My actual sorting method once I have the candidates is to put them all in monkeysort and go through that whole process to get an ordered list. I don't take it as gospel, I always move stuff around after it's done (this is how I've done every ranked thing I've published since 2013, including the big Top 50s and Ladder Matches I do on my blog) but it gives me a nice rough outline to work with.

Despite all that I really don't think it's necessary to be so scientific with it. These lists are supposed to be fun, so only overthink it if you're a giant nerd like me. Otherwise just... have fun with it!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:51 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
How does everyone else keep track of their favorites? Spotify and LastFM? iTunes play counts? Notes on your phone? Just whatever comes to mind? I can't imagine trying to keep track of music without a spreadsheet, but I also don't know anyone else that does it this way so I'd love to hear everyone's methodology.

I use text files in Notepad++. One file I've filled up with my favourite albums for each year (metal & non-metal combined) going back to 2009. I'm a very selective listener so it's only 10-20 albums per year. I also have separate files for metal and non-metal where I've worked out my top 10 for specific years for polls on another forum. I can use those to revisit the ordering in the first file. With a bit of thought I could use them to extend the first file to years prior to 2009 as well.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:28 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

I used to just keep a simple notepad file every year of every album that I heard and enjoyed. Then I would go back through at the end of the year to see what stood out among those. This year I tried to keep a spreadsheet with ratings. I only ended up giving like 4-5 albums a proper score out of all the ones I've listed, so it ended up just being basically just a list anyway. I think next year instead of trying to give them scores I'm going to reserve a column for brief first impressions that will help me sort out the better stuff to focus on later in the year.

But ultimately I either have purchased/downloaded/liked on spotify the albums that really grabbed me, and have pretty much already made up my mind about their value/rank. My opinions may change a little as the year goes on, but usually not a whole lot. If they haven't found their way into regular rotation by now, they probably don't belong in my top ten.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:00 am 

I literally have a Notepad document that contains in this order:

-End of Year List-

-List of Albums I've Heard-

-Bands to Listen To-

-Bands With Upcoming Releases-

As I listened to more albums, what populated the end of year list changed places or was replaced entirely. I was going to score the albums but I found I kept changing them too much so I stopped. I just looked for a certain intangible factor that makes an album truly great and mind-blowing to me when separating the best from the rest. Oh, and the upcoming releases had the release date next to the band name so I didn't miss them.

Last edited by Napalm_Satan on Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:18 am 

I have a Word document on my work laptop where I list every album in a given year that I've purchased and/or reviewed 90% and higher. I like to revisit everything on the list at least once to see how I feel about it. I had 65 albums to work with this year, more than any year I can remember, but I should have my picks in by the end of the week.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:32 am 

I have a gmail concept in which I list what is released this year and in my possession and what is released and on my wish list, than my potential top 10's get an asterix sign, I can edit on all devices at work and home this way.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:45 am 

In the meantime, does anyone wanna fuck up Pitchfork's reader poll by submitting all metal albums?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:44 pm 

I always find these so difficult to decide, last year I couldn't even come up with a list in time. There was a bunch of stuff at the beginning of this year that I listened to over and over, but kept moving onto new stuff throughout the year. I always feel like I lean more towards the stuff I've been listening to near the end of the year, even when I liked stuff at the beginning of the year more. I've got at least 20 albums I need to re-listen to and not sure if I will have the time.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:49 pm 

I haven't found as much to listen to this year, so I guess it's been an even more down year than 2018, but I do like more of the releases from this year than last that I've heard. So more hits, despite less volume. A higher shooting % I guess you could say.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:21 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Filter by year in Foobar2000.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:09 pm 

In the first half of 2019 I thought that this is a shitty year for metal, I could hardly pick 10 decent enough album for a list, and now I'm like shit, this is was a pretty great year afterall. Especially for power metal fans; I'm sure I'm gonna have some power albums in my final list. Anyone has a list in a state that it could be shared? I'm interested what bands could I find amongst them.
From my side, one of my greatest secret love from this year is the new Deatshpell Omega release. Anyone else tend to have it in their list?

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:23 am 

Best tradition is best!

For anyone that needs some help figuring out what albums that has come out in 2019, perhaps my Spotify list can be of assistance.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1YFbiHaOmS0cD9UL59UioM?si=mkxWW0KlTSuamhurkSTsWw

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:58 pm 

Bachstein wrote:
Especially for power metal fans; I'm sure I'm gonna have some power albums in my final list.

2019 has probably been the best year for power metal so far this millennium.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:57 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Bachstein wrote:
Especially for power metal fans; I'm sure I'm gonna have some power albums in my final list.

2019 has probably been the best year for power metal so far this millennium.

What are your favourites from this year?

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:14 pm 

e_ddi_e wrote:
Best tradition is best!

For anyone that needs some help figuring out what albums that has come out in 2019, perhaps my Spotify list can be of assistance.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1YFbiHaOmS0cD9UL59UioM?si=mkxWW0KlTSuamhurkSTsWw

Nice list and thanks for reminding me of the new ROSK release. :)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:14 am 

Like every year, the ten album minimum kills me. New albums by Havohej and Esoteric at least make it better than the last few years. Been a while since I had two.

It's 2019, do a poll of the decade. I can do that.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:47 am 

Bachstein wrote:
e_ddi_e wrote:
Best tradition is best!

Nice list and thanks for reminding me of the new ROSK release. :)

Hey thanx! Glad it helped.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:48 am 

I started the spreadsheet method last year, and have different sheets for different years on the same documents. It's pretty straight forward: I hear an album from the current year and include it in the runner-up list. This year I looked through it and made an "instinctive" list of what had grabbed me throughout the year. I'm currently listening to it when I have time to determine if I still agree with it. I'm planning on listening to the whole list once, MAYBE twice, and then submitting. I listened to my list too many damn times last year to make sure my rankings were reflective of how I felt. That got tiring, and took the fun out of it by the last time. I feel like going with instincts is the way to go because it's still you picking, you're just not wasting a bunch of time overthinking it. I started listening to my list from the top, and am on album #5 now, so far I agree with everything!

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:20 pm 

I just have 10 cd's I liked enough to buy physically in a pile next to me, physically shuffling them around in order of preference as I listen to them. Feeling like such a luddite now. :lol:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:10 am 

Hey y'all, just a gentle reminder after the first week of voting to vote for debut of the year if you'd like to! It's not required, so don't worry about holding off on your lists if you can't think of one, but I do think it's a fun part of the poll that helps shine a spotlight on the future of the music we all love. The races have gotten less and less exciting every year and this year is shaping up to be even less than last year (though admittedly you can't get much tighter than Gaera winning with three votes and second place being like a seven way tie with two). I wanna hear your new shit, whaddaya all got?!

Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:05 am 

narsilianshard wrote:

I keep a text file (edited in vim, just to nerd it up) of albums I've listened to with a one-line 'review' and a character code (+ for buy, R for relisten etc.) If an album grabs me enough I include the word "contender" in the review so now the task is to go through those and make a top 10.

Most years I give myself a purchase cap of only 10 albums because frankly I'm getting music fatigue and it gets harder and harder for a release to stand out as special.

This year I've spent so much time going through new recommendations that I've barely revisted anything (215 in my file, maybe not a lot for some). Thinking to change this approach next year.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:41 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Hey y'all, just a gentle reminder after the first week of voting to vote for debut of the year if you'd like to!!

Let me draw the community's attention to this fine Canadian BM release, which would suit well for the debut of the year.
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ossuaire/Premiers_chants/767009
They actually releases two LPs this year, so one might check both albums, great releases imo.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:05 pm 

In terms of debuts I think it's been pretty much an easy contest for Kostnateni. Yes, full disclosure, the guy behind the project is also involved in The Outer RIM, which you can tell from my sig is something I'm also involved with, but I promise it's not nepotism. Guy's legit. Any fan of dissonant DsO-esque black metal will find basically nothing wrong with it.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:33 pm 

Yeah +1 to that Kostnatění album; weirdo dissonant BM that is well worth any black metal fan's time.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:24 pm 

Hey BH, does the debut rule also count if an EP is released before? The new Warforged album is absolutely great but not sure if it counts as an debut of the year album.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:48 pm 

Only have one more album to preview before I've listened to everything I'm interested in this year, and...I'm disappointed. Only a couple of albums in my current Top 10 would have even made the honorable mentions in previous years. 2019 has been so...unexciting. I would hear an amazing new song, but the rest of the album (or most of it) would be an extreme letdown. I feel nothing, except deepening emptiness when I think about my Top 10. I just keep thinking, "This is it?"

Blehhhhh.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:05 pm 

I think this has been a great year and have drawn up a longlist. Wonder whether to include Necrodeath's Defragments of Insanity which I guess by any metallum standards is a "new album".

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next