Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dickpenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:55 am 

hej,
what do you think about not deleting dead links anymore, but instead marking them as dead? Could also be moved to the bottom of the list to a greyed out cemetery section.

If links are deleted, it means a loss of information. A use case for dead links is to confirm a site is, in fact, dead, and one isn't just too stupid to find it on a search engine etc.. This is especially useful in times of censored search engine results and geoblocking of some content.

Spoiler: show
Yes, i know the info is still in the modification history, but it would be nicer on the "official" part of the site.

OliverS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:07 am 

Dickpenis wrote:
hej,
what do you think about not deleting dead links anymore, but instead marking them as dead? Could also be moved to the bottom of the list to a greyed out cemetery section.

If links are deleted, it means a loss of information. A use case for dead links is to confirm a site is, in fact, dead, and one isn't just too stupid to find it on a search engine etc.. This is especially gimp freejobalert notepad++ useful in times of censored search engine results and geoblocking of some content.

Spoiler: show
Yes, i know the info is still in the modification history, but it would be nicer on the "official" part of the site.

Yeah I too agree on this. Dont delete links it may have the information that is necessary on the post.

Regards.
Shane.

Kennermahn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:55 am 

Yes, I agree with this. For instance, some bands delete or get their Bandcamp pages deleted, and if they happen to have a an album with a Bandcamp version, one cannot help but wonder "which Bandcamp?". It's a way to be reminded that once a certain band had a page on a social/musical website.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:02 pm 

I support this idea!

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:35 pm 

I come late as fuck to tell that I also support this idea.

I'm pretty sure there have been dead links removed which had an archive on the Wayback Machine, and maybe this was one of the last places in the whole internet to have the link to these pages, so there might be some pages which could actually be sort of lost forever.

It's also very useful to know if any band had a website once, because it could be a lead in an investigation, even if there's not an archive of the site anywhere, it would mean that any band from the late 90s/early 2000s could still have some presence in the internet, somewhere.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:01 am 

I agree with Willyphallus.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Reply to topic