Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:04 am 

Quote:
Like a phoenix from the ashes, a legend rises again in 2020. MY DYING BRIDE went through some tough times last year and fought many struggles along the way, but now the British doom metal band are proud to announce their new studio album The Ghost Of Orion for 6th March 2020.

The new MY DYING BRIDE record is the product of a vibrantly creative band that is more than willing to build on their past successes. The band commented:

"A new album for a new era of MY DYING BRIDE with fresh faces and a more accessible style compared to some of their past, highly technical releases. 'The Ghost of Orion' features compositions not only of epic proportions but of intimate quality too, from death metal vocals to the pained cries of a vocalist in longing, the L.P. will raise and fall like the beautiful landscape of Yorkshire in which it was recorded. With layer upon layer of guitars both heavy and harmonic, Andrew Craighan has created a rich soundscape that is beautifully epic, enhanced with violins and keys from Shaun MacGowan along with the ominous murmur of cello from acclaimed cellist Jo Quail. And speaking of guest artists, the wondrous voice of Lindy-Fay Hella (WARDRUNA) adds an ethereal beauty to the album. Adding his particular style of drumming this time round is Jeff Singer whose percussion exploits have elevated the bands’ rhythm section to another level aided by the effortlessly stylish Lena Abe on bass guitar. Aaron Stainthorpe delivers a compelling and often disturbing performance with his own particular style of vocals offering sincere eulogies along with the visceral carnage of a soul in pain, with poetic lyrics of a quality not often seen in this genre. This collection of songs is the bands most brilliant yet, honing 30 years of experience into the well crafted offering that is 'The Ghost of Orion'."

Pre-order The Ghost Of Orion here: https://nblast.de/TheGhostOfOrion

Today, The Ghost Of Orion will be targeting our souls in form of the first single 'Your Broken Shore' - a haunting, gloomy piece driven by melancholy and deep, dark emotion.
A music video for this stunning masterpiece will be released on 10th January.
Check out the single here: https://nblast.de/MDB-YourBrokenShore

The album will be available as CD, black 2LP Gatefold, white 2LP Gatefold, red 2LP Gatefold and picture disc 2LP Gatefold.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:08 am 

I lost interest after A Line of Deathless Kings and the description of the album doesn't really get my hopes high if I have to be honest.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:14 am 

I'm always down for some MDB. And the single sounds really good.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:53 am 

a very special album, following Aaron's tragedy... please be kind :)

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:57 am 

This sounds like Like Gods Of The Sun to me, which is a fantastic thing! Aaron's cleans and growls both sound incredible. I wish there were a little more to the string sections, but the outro is beautiful. Love the artwork a lot, besides the font at the bottom. It looks very contrived and cheesy.

So glad Aaron was able to have this outlet and give us all something great out of his nightmare he lived.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:09 am 

New song is incredible. Very melodic and catchy, but without losing any of the depth that MDB are known for. So great to hear Aaron making so much use of his death growl, too! Really excited to hear the rest of the album, now.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:28 am 

I'm sorry to be a downer but I'm not really feeling the single. It sounds like every other goth/doom band, specially Swallow the Sun. Too melodic and simple for my tastes.

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:58 am 

matras wrote:
I'm always down for some MDB. And the single sounds really good.

Same thoughts here, and also pumped that Lindy-Fay Hella is featured on the album. I love her work with Wardruna.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:59 am 

A track list, of which I have no confirmation, has been posted on their MA page;
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/M ... ion/818222

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:05 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I lost interest after A Line of Deathless Kings and the description of the album doesn't really get my hopes high if I have to be honest.

Ha, interesting.

Considering they went on to compose some of the strongest songs of their career after that album with 'Santuario di Sangue', 'Like A Perpetual Funeral', 'Kneel Till Doomsday', 'Hail Odysseus', 'Within A Sleeping Forest' to name only a few that outshine some of the patchy songwriting of Deathless Kings.

New song is excellent. Emotionally rich and both quickly catchy and profound. Aaron seems to be channeling his grief because he sounds weary and doleful but also some of his most melodic singing in years. Very masterful!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:01 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Ha, interesting.

Considering they went on to compose some of the strongest songs of their career after that album with 'Santuario di Sangue', 'Like A Perpetual Funeral', 'Kneel Till Doomsday', 'Hail Odysseus', 'Within A Sleeping Forest' to name only a few that outshine some of the patchy songwriting of Deathless Kings.

New song is excellent. Emotionally rich and both quickly catchy and profound. Aaron seems to be channeling his grief because he sounds weary and doleful but also some of his most melodic singing in years. Very masterful!

The reason I lost interest is because Deathless Kings was already underwhelming and I didn't like their next albums, not because I thought that album was great.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:59 pm 

For those who still refuse to open accounts on spotify and similar platforms here's a youtube link to the single:

This is awesome!! Aaron's vocals are among the best in the style. This band can do no wrong in my eyes.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:23 pm 

Sounds great, as always. I'll be checking this out for sure.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:52 pm 

The new song is absolutely fantastic! I'm definitely gonna have to preorder the album.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:09 pm 

It should be interesting if they've shaken things up a little bit. Things had been getting a little bit stale. They had 1-2 great, memorable songs on each new album, but the rest tended to me more of the same.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:36 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I'm sorry to be a downer but I'm not really feeling the single. It sounds like every other goth/doom band, specially Swallow the Sun. Too melodic and simple for my tastes.

I agree. The song sounded pretty plain Jane and in one ear and out the other..I don't remember a thing about it. Simple is a good word for it, but in a bad way. Where's the songwriting? The creativity?

The opener to Feel the Misery was incredible, differing sections all great and the mournful violin heavy choruses were stunning. This had nothing like that, really had nothing at all.

Sure hope the rest of the album is better.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:27 pm 

Oh my fucking god. This sounds so fucking good! Sounds like a very great mix of As the Flower Withers/Turn Loose the Swans + A Map of All Our Failures/Feel the Misery. Loved it
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:28 pm 

Good shit. Looking forward to the album.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:38 pm 

I understand why the band is calling the material more accessible based on this song. The riffs and tempo are a bit more radio-friendly, but it's a nice compromise as it still sounds like MDB and they didn't go full commercial sounding and kept the growls. I also like how much violin is in this song. I know they've been careful to use it sparingly since it's made its return to the band, but I've often thought it would be nice if they used it a little more than they have.

Obviously I'd like to hear the full album to see how the other songs stack up, but this is a great start. I loved the direction the last couple albums took, and I would have been fine with more of the same, but in a way I'm glad they're changing it up a little.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:43 am 

has feel the misery been out 5 years, fm, stop the clock seriously :aww: :)
this new track sounds ok, i like the cover and the old logo still reigns
they just keep doing what they do really, not expecting anything groundbreaking at this stage

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:54 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:25 pm 

reminded me of 'the cry of mankind' also

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:04 pm 

It sounds incredible. Holy shit I’m getting goosebumps at around the 3:15 mark. God damn this is what I wanted to hear.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:38 pm 

Hasn’t Bride been doing this for a while though? Put out the most varied and memorable track as the opener and single, then keep some “normal” stuff further down the album. I get the feeling there will be at least one ballad on the album, the same as with the last album. Those long songs might be tasty though.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:28 am 

New track is pretty good, it has some nice melodies and its catchy without being "too easy". I do like the artwork as well.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:46 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Hasn’t Bride been doing this for a while though? Put out the most varied and memorable track as the opener and single, then keep some “normal” stuff further down the album. I get the feeling there will be at least one ballad on the album, the same as with the last album. Those long songs might be tasty though.

Not sure about that. They obviously did that with A Map... and while I can't remember what the first track released from For Lies I Sire was, if it was "My Body, a Funeral", then that too. However, I would say Feel the Misery had plenty more variety than what was offered in either song they pre-released ("And My Father Left Forever" and "Feel the Misery"), in fact I'd argue it's one of the most varied albums they've ever done what with highly death metal-oriented tracks like "To Shiver in Empty Halls" and "A Cold New Curse" in one corner, and downtempo, somber piano ballads in the other with "A Thorn for Wisdom" and "I Almost Loved You".

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:44 am 

true_death wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Not sure about that. They obviously did that with A Map... and while I can't remember what the first track released from For Lies I Sire was, if it was "My Body, a Funeral", then that too. However, I would say Feel the Misery had plenty more variety than what was offered in either song they pre-released ("And My Father Left Forever" and "Feel the Misery"), in fact I'd argue it's one of the most varied albums they've ever done what with highly death metal-oriented tracks like "To Shiver in Empty Halls" and "A Cold New Curse" in one corner, and downtempo, somber piano ballads in the other with "A Thorn for Wisdom" and "I Almost Loved You".

I was thinking of 'My Body, a Funeral' and 'And My Father Left Forever'. They tend not to go for the straight-ahead doom death tracks, nor any of the ballads. I'd guess there's a couple of each in the album proper.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:44 am 

Video

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:01 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:14 pm 

if NB shelled out for not just another performance video, they have high hopes for this, or the previous one did spectacularly well, or both :)

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:24 am 

Some behind-the-scenes/info vids for y'all

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:17 am 

Another new song!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:34 am 

Yeah the lyric video is here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBEU0jZYohA

It's a very personal song about Aaron's daughter's sickness. I think it will function better in the album context, didn't strike me as dramatically as the first but still poignant enough.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:57 am 

Its not often you hear a band sound this inspired 30 years into their career.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:07 pm 

I'm really liking the new track. This album's gonna be a year-end contender, I'd bet.

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:31 pm 

Sounds pretty good so far, I hope they do more to promote this album and tour possibly.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:28 am 

I'm frankly staggered that they've released 2 songs that both have choruses. 'Tired of Tears' even has an actual guitar solo! It's definitely Bride style, just very melodic and accessible considering.

I've just finished listening to the press version for the first time, and holy shit you are not going to believe what 'The Solace' sounds like. It's like a Scottish bagpipe song converted to guitar melodies, with Linda Fay Hella singing over about half of it. No drums. And it's sweet as nectar. Those short pieces at the end don't really have a precedent in Bride's discography either.

As an aside, does anyone know what the album cover is supposed to represent? The artist, Eliran Kantor, has done other stuff for Archspire, Hate Eternal, Testament, and Iced Earth, but this seems to depict a particular person.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:56 am 

I always enjoyed the guitar tone and the presence of the guitars in mdb albums. For the lies... album was specially weak in that area, and is one of the worst albums for me. these traks are ok but the guitars are way low in the mix, and the tone is not as aggressive as it used to be. These are my feelings about these new traks.
Not hearsay but the will of man

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:10 pm 

Interview with Aaron and Eliran Kantor, the artist behind the new album's cover artwork. Some interesting questions and answers. Aaron also mentions a new EP supposedly scheduled for a 2020 release.
https://www.heaviestofart.com/post/behind-the-cover-my-dying-bride-the-ghost-of-orion

Quote:
I came up with the concept for the cover. It made it even harder to fall asleep, since I had to wait until tomorrow as I didn’t want to text Aaron in the middle of the night talking about ashes and urns.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:41 pm 

Cool, I was hoping for an EP because I figured they had some extra songs recorded during The Ghost of Orion sessions. Especially when I saw there's only 8 tracks on the new album, and 2 of which are fairly short. For how much time they were in the studio and how much work they put into this album, I knew there had to be more than just 8 tracks they completed.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next