Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:17 pm 

Damn, that's just like when Hawaii got that false alarm nuclear attack message a few years ago. I have a friend out there and he said he was legitimately afraid for his life for a few minutes.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:24 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
So yesterday I found out my shitty job was supposed to be giving me raises (Naturally, my boss didn't tell me this), and today I got this. A+, 10/10, god tier trolling.

https://imgur.com/a/sUjvfC2

Did they give you a dollar and a shitty letter for your one-year anniversary, and literally nothing else?

Is that your reality?

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:39 am 

Some guy who grew up near where I did, hung around some of the same people, and whom I had met no more than 3-4 times altogether, and the last time in 1991, recently passed away.

When I heard this, my first thought was.. oh, he was a huge Iron Maiden fan, but then I realized.. wait, we're not 16 anymore, he must have been up to a bunch of things.

Then the FB R.I.P. messages, which I get to see because of common friends, started pouring in.

And each and everyone of them mentions Iron Maiden.

I guess that's what metal does to you.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:28 am 

Yeah that Rob Zombie line from the first Sam Dunn movie, "I never met the guy who was really into Slayer just for one summer" (quoted from memory, not exact) definitely isn't far from the truth.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:18 am 

Yep, there's no turning back. Kids, we're in it for the long haul.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:39 am 

Got to love how metal inspires such total devotion. It's something else. Metal, horror movies, etc - all niches that inspire a cult-like fanaticism.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:44 am 

I wouldn't call it cult-like fanaticism, at least not for the most part. It's just authentic passion. Something that's totally immersive and captivating. Why those things happen to be that way is a mystery, but hey, it's still cool.

And of course you have the weirdos who think Iron Maiden are like Jesus or something, but for the most part that's the exception to the rule.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:50 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
I wouldn't call it cult-like fanaticism, at least not for the most part. It's just authentic passion. Something that's totally immersive and captivating. Why those things happen to be that way is a mystery, but hey, it's still cool.

And of course you have the weirdos who think Iron Maiden are like Jesus or something, but for the most part that's the exception to the rule.

I meant it in a good way. It's just what we were all saying. It's a lifelong passion and interest that doesn't wane.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:01 pm 

There are exceptions to both.

Exhibit A: Boomers and Gen Xers who got swept up in metal as a cultural phenomenon in the 80s and either lost interest as they got older (like my dad) or refuse to listen to anything that wasn't already popular back at the time when metal a media sensation (like Eddie Trunk). We don't see them anymore because they left. I'm willing to bet that touring musicians like Rob Zombie and nerds like us don't know people like that for the same reason we rarely run into rabid ska fans. It's just a different social umbrella. Closest thing my generation probably has are the people who got super into nu metal/metalcore/deathcore in high school and just moved on once they grew up. I realize as I type this that I'm probably missing the point since these are all scenes we don't really associate with in general but still, I'd wager there are throngs of people who got into metal for a short time and grew out of it, we just don't think of it because we're mostly all lifers here with no hope of escape.

Exhibit B: I also used to think that metal wasn't cult like until I remembered South America exists. Go watch that scene from Flight 666 where that Colombian guy catches Nicko McBain's drumstick and collapses into a weeping religious epiphany like he was holding the Shroud of fuckin' Turin.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:46 pm 

Most of the scene kids from the mid/late-2000s became coffee shop hipsters, so they just hopped to another trend. Some of them did become fans of "real" metal (I know a few of them, considering that New England was the -core capitol of the world at that time), but most of them moved on.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:48 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Exhibit B: I also used to think that metal wasn't cult like until I remembered South America exists. Go watch that scene from Flight 666 where that Colombian guy catches Nicko McBain's drumstick and collapses into a weeping religious epiphany like he was holding the Shroud of fuckin' Turin.

There's some video out there of two guys (I think it was in Brazil) who somehow managed to sneak onto the fucking airplane tarmac when Bruce landed the plane and ran up to him as soon as he deboarded. Obviously he was livid at the security issues there and basically told them to get fucked, and they ended the video all "YEAAAAH IRON MAIDEN"

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:08 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Most of the scene kids from the mid/late-2000s became coffee shop hipsters, so they just hopped to another trend. Some of them did become fans of "real" metal (I know a few of them, considering that New England was the -core capitol of the world at that time), but most of them moved on.

I got really into Fleet Foxes and grew a beard so this post made me feel personally attacked, because I never liked scene-core

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:57 pm 

You both suck, so don't worry about it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:06 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

There's some video out there of two guys (I think it was in Brazil) who somehow managed to sneak onto the fucking airplane tarmac when Bruce landed the plane and ran up to him as soon as he deboarded. Obviously he was livid at the security issues there and basically told them to get fucked, and they ended the video all "YEAAAAH IRON MAIDEN"

"The frontman of our favorite band hates us, YEAAAHHH, IRON MAIDEN!"

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:11 pm 

Yeah the way he's describing it they were definitely Brazilians.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:37 am 

Today is my company’s annual meeting, because Spring Festival is coming real soon. After taking us trampolining yesterday to tire everyone out, there’s nothing like a solid 8 hour meeting to invite people to sleep and recover...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:11 am 

I'm not always happy with thread locks but I think BastardHead locking the Russell Crowe thread may have saved me a lot of headaches.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:21 am 

I was in the middle of typing up a brilliant post that would have finally convinced the skeptics... such a post it would have been... :-D

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:28 am 

Arguing with a lot of those people is a futile waste of time. Talking about antifa or arguing whether climate change is real, come on, all of that can fuck off.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:57 am 

I think in general, getting into it about political outside of actual friends that you care about is just a good way to waste your time and get yourself upset. I think most people's values are informed by a lifetime of experience and stuff and some argument isn't gonna convince anyone of anything. One of my new years resolutions is to be less engaged with that type of stuff unless I'm doing something actually productive IRL.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:17 pm 

Reading what people post online is a big part of a lot of peoples' experiences in forming their views of politics and the world. If no one is putting out good ideas then nobody is going to read those good ideas. I just think of it as doing my part for the people watching, less so for the folks I'm directly debate-battling. Plus it's fun for me! :P

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:23 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I think in general, getting into it about political outside of actual friends that you care about is just a good way to waste your time and get yourself upset. I think most people's values are informed by a lifetime of experience and stuff and some argument isn't gonna convince anyone of anything. One of my new years resolutions is to be less engaged with that type of stuff unless I'm doing something actually productive IRL.

It is just a giant time-suck and fuels negativity, yeah. Some people I suppose can be OK with it, and have endless stamina to go back and forth. More power to them, I guess. Just different types of people.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:46 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Trashy_Rambo wrote:
So yesterday I found out my shitty job was supposed to be giving me raises (Naturally, my boss didn't tell me this), and today I got this. A+, 10/10, god tier trolling.

Did they give you a dollar and a shitty letter for your one-year anniversary, and literally nothing else?

Is that your reality?

Nope, just a letter lol. I provided the dollar, which was there to cover up my info.

Dormiebasne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:11 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
Trashy_Rambo wrote:

Is that your reality?

Nope, just a letter lol. I provided the dollar, which was there to cover up my info.

I spent three months working for Speedway, so I feel your pain. Probably the worst compensation I've ever seen, even when you get past CSR. The fact they sent you a letter is them going "above and beyond" in their minds, probably.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:47 am 

I have a question for the Dutch members on the board here about buying tickets from the Effenaar. Going to NDF this year, and need to purchase a Saturday ticket for the wife and I - problem is the Effenaar page is all in Dutch, which as an Australian I (naturally) don't speak nor read.

I know I'm being bloody lazy, but is there any specific stipulations about buying tickets from their Tickemaster provider? As in are they for domestic sale only? Would I have to provide a valid address in the country? etc, etc...

Any help will be appreciated!! :-D

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:49 am 

Oh, I thought they gave you a dollar for a bonus. :lol: Just giving a letter is somehow a lot better.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
I have a question for the Dutch members on the board here about buying tickets from the Effenaar. Going to NDF this year, and need to purchase a Saturday ticket for the wife and I - problem is the Effenaar page is all in Dutch, which as an Australian I (naturally) don't speak nor read.

I know I'm being bloody lazy, but is there any specific stipulations about buying tickets from their Tickemaster provider? As in are they for domestic sale only? Would I have to provide a valid address in the country? etc, etc...

Any help will be appreciated!! :-D

https://www.ticketmaster.nl/artist/neth ... uage=en-us

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:57 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Oh, I thought they gave you a dollar for a bonus. :lol: Just giving a letter is somehow a lot better.

A letter just says "We don't give a shit about you." A letter and a dollar says "We think your existence is a complete fucking joke."

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:02 pm 

Trashy_Rambo really destroyed his own story there. I was really with him with the patronising dollar, too, thinking like he's due for a raise but they give him a fucking dollar and sell it as something great.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:14 pm 

Just found out Terry Jones died. Always loved his characters in Monty Python. RIP.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:10 pm 

Terry Jones was a brilliant creative mind. Very sad news indeed.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:26 pm 

Terry Jones was an amazing performer, comedian, director and historian. Sad news and he will be missed.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:40 pm 

Man I was just reading about Monty Python last week and found myself commenting on how wild it is that Chapman was the only one who had died. They're not ancient but they are all old and you figure at least one of them would've passed by now. Sorry if I jinxed it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:40 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
Trashy_Rambo wrote:

Is that your reality?

The dollar would have at least been sadly comical.

"Look at my fucking life lol." *cries into hands through laughter*

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:51 am 

Before I went into the military I worked in a factory where I broke my balls for them. It was the type of place with no paid days off and no paid sick days. If you missed work, you didn't get paid. Needless to say I pretty much had perfect attendance. I was there for a few years and the boss came up to me. I was told I had been given a nickel an hour raise. I was already making minimum wage. What a shithole to work in. I was trapped though. I had moved back to Long Island and my whole life fell apart within a few weeks. The worst part was my car broke down and I didn't have money to fix it. I walked or rode a bike everywhere I went. I was trapped in a vicious cycle. Couldnt afford to get my car fixed/get a new car, so I couldn't get a new job. Once in a while I took a bus, but I lived week to week by the penny. A few dollars to ride the bus was actually a lot of money for me at the time.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:45 pm 

Timeghoul wrote:
Before I went into the military I worked in a factory where I broke my balls for them. It was the type of place with no paid days off and no paid sick days. If you missed work, you didn't get paid. Needless to say I pretty much had perfect attendance. I was there for a few years and the boss came up to me. I was told I had been given a nickel an hour raise. I was already making minimum wage. What a shithole to work in. I was trapped though. I had moved back to Long Island and my whole life fell apart within a few weeks. The worst part was my car broke down and I didn't have money to fix it. I walked or rode a bike everywhere I went. I was trapped in a vicious cycle. Couldnt afford to get my car fixed/get a new car, so I couldn't get a new job. Once in a while I took a bus, but I lived week to week by the penny. A few dollars to ride the bus was actually a lot of money for me at the time.

That's really bad, mate. Are you out of this cycle now? I hope times are a little bit better now.

My job got two pay rises last year of well over $2 an hour and will get at least one this year, so I'm doing the best I've ever done.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Dormiebasne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:33 pm 

Subrick wrote:
A dude showed up in a thread about Amon acting like their biggest cheerleader and shitting all over Glen Benton. People very quickly came to the conclusion that it was probably Eric Hoffman and spent the entire rest of the thread skewering him alive for being an idiot and a roidhead.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91059&p=2743623#p2743623

This rivals the hilarity I would see on the SMN news forums, back in the day. I seriously wish I had a link, but the best was probably when Shawn Whittaker from Insidious Decrepancy showed up in a thread accusing (Brain Drill?) of bringing a shit load of weed with them ("garbage bags", which became a meme in the forum). I don't totally remember the circumstances, but it basically ended with the revelation Shawn had relapsed on cocaine and was selling his gear to get more.

Then there was Flo Mournier defending The Unspoken King, saying "THOSE ARE NOT BREAKDOWNS, THOSE ARE GROOVES", which became a meme in my social circle for when someone fucks up or puts in no effort.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:01 pm 

Holy shit, Kobe Bryant died?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:19 pm 

And one of his daughters. Helicopter crash in Calabasas. Shit’s fucked.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

NuclearDrumsCrushedMyBrain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:01 am 

BastardHead wrote:
There are exceptions to both.

Exhibit A: Boomers and Gen Xers who got swept up in metal as a cultural phenomenon in the 80s and either lost interest as they got older (like my dad) or refuse to listen to anything that wasn't already popular back at the time when metal a media sensation (like Eddie Trunk). We don't see them anymore because they left. I'm willing to bet that touring musicians like Rob Zombie and nerds like us don't know people like that for the same reason we rarely run into rabid ska fans. It's just a different social umbrella. Closest thing my generation probably has are the people who got super into nu metal/metalcore/deathcore in high school and just moved on once they grew up. I realize as I type this that I'm probably missing the point since these are all scenes we don't really associate with in general but still, I'd wager there are throngs of people who got into metal for a short time and grew out of it, we just don't think of it because we're mostly all lifers here with no hope of escape.

Eddie Trunk types are pretty common if you look at YouTube comments for old metal records, even somewhat underground ones. I saw a comment on Pull the Plug by Death from someone who bought Leprosy in 1988 and said that he didn't even like death metal but he still loved the Death discography from his youth, and various other comments saying that death metal isn't good anymore compared to the old school era so they don't bother listening. That doesn't contradict the Rob Zombie comment, though, since those guys are still invested in the bands of their youth, just not anything more modern.

Slipknot seem to have retained most of their fanbase given they're still huge, so while I'm sure a lot of nu metal fans have stopped listening even in that case it seems more likely that people don't actively follow the genre but still listen to the bands of their youth. Korn is a bit of a different story, though; they still exist, but their last album only got to number 8 and it seems most of their fans have faded away. Slipknot has unique longevity in nu metal for some reason or other.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236 ... 332  Next