Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:52 pm 

Hello!

For those who don’t know me beyond sweetleaf95 (or Sweetie, Leaf, etc.), my name is Nick Girvin, and I’m currently looking to recruit some writers who have a passion for reviewing music. Myself, along with Chris, (who you all know as twisted_psychology) and our leader Bryan are senior editors over at Indy Metal Vault, which you may have noticed at the footer of many of our reviews. Currently, we have somewhere around 30 people who write for us, but there’s been a significant lack of interest from writers outside of Chris and myself lately. Of all of those writers, some only submit something MAYBE once a month, and even more don’t write anything at all. A lot of our more recent hires have written one review upon starting and never touched the site again. So I’m here to recruit people interested in publishing their reviews for us, and actually want to consistently have their stuff published.

"But Nick, why would we publish for you guys when we do it on Metal Archives all the time?" Well, good question. Advantages include:

- You would have promo access, meaning you can hear music weeks (or sometimes longer) before it’s released and gather your thoughts on it. We publish reviews on albums before release all the time, you just wouldn’t be able to submit it to Metal Archives until its release date
- We are not limited strictly to heavy metal, just primarily heavy metal. But we will cover really anything rock related. Have a hard rock, alternative, nu metal or synthwave album you’ve been dying to talk about? Indy Metal Vault would be happy to publish it. We do primarily new stuff, but older albums that have been overlooked are welcomed as well.
- Our traffic isn’t super high, but there’s enough of a following to where your reviews would get more exposure.
- We offer a variety of other columns, such as film reviewing, Anniversary write-ups on classic albums, song premiers, interviews, etc. So you would not be limited to ONLY reviews.

Pretty cool and laid back, right? Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but we do have a few guidelines ourselves:
- You would still have to be approved by Chris, myself, or our main man Bryan. Indy Metal Vault is all about quality over quantity. We NEVER publish content just for the sake of having content. Your style can be however you please, but it must read well and not be messy. Don’t worry, it’s not difficult to get in, you pretty much just have to be able to write comprehensive English that stays on topic to whatever you’re writing about, and is relatively focused. We will never discriminate writers based off of musical taste
- No more than one review on an album, so if more than one person wants to cover one album, you can do team reviews
- reviewing classic albums (such as say, Metallica’s Master Of Puppets) should be reserved for an occasion or reason, like its 35th anniversary or something.
- and most importantly, NO SHARING PROMOS TO SOCIAL MEDIA OR ANYWHERE

See how our site looks yourself: https://www.indymetalvault.com/

If you’re interested in expanding your reviews and are passionate about it and want to get content out there (as well as help us out), feel free to contact Chris (twisted_psychology), or myself. Our emails are on both of our Metal Archives profiles. You can also get ahold of our leader at [email protected]. And, there's always this thread.

Cheers!

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:05 am 

Hmmm... could I trash the new Tool album?

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:55 pm 

I'm actually hankering to review some heavy psych akin to Lucid Furs, The Riven, Valley of the Sun, Somali Yacht Club, Psychedelic Witchcraft, etc, etc...(and more than not, have like-genre'd band submits tossed by the wayside, frustratingly albeit understandably). I'd be into some Indy Metal vault action, but would/could only commit to one a week or so, and, obviously, would have to cut back on all the shoe-horn infused, waggish/word-y tomfoolery, in order to keep things kosher and level, but sure, it's a site I frequent from time to time, as well as could niftily get into...

Thanks for the olive branch, no-how!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:08 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
I'm actually hankering to review some heavy psych akin to Lucid Furs, The Riven, Valley of the Sun, Somali Yacht Club, Psychedelic Witchcraft, etc, etc...(and more than not, have like-genre'd band submits tossed by the wayside, frustratingly albeit understandably). I'd be into some Indy Metal vault action, but would/could only commit to one a week or so, and, obviously, would have to cut back on all the shoe-horn infused, waggish/word-y tomfoolery, in order to keep things kosher and level, but sure, it's a site I frequent from time to time, as well as could niftily get into...

Thanks for the olive branch, no-how!

My huge apologies for not seeing this until now, Chair. We had a few people email us and join and I didn't think to actually look at the comments. Feel free to reach out to [email protected] for more info and how to get set up with us! If you're still interested.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:09 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Hmmm... could I trash the new Tool album?

No. Shoo!

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:18 am 

Kinda late to the party, but:

I'm not a great writer, I tend to repeat a lot of words and maybe have a couple of grammar errors here and there because English isn't my first language even though I'm somewhat fluent at it, but I'd be willing to review stuff, anything.

I don't know if you're searching for people outside of the US anyway, and if the site has any sort of interest in albums from lesser-known bands, specially from Argentina and South America, or old releases by obscure bands, which is most of the stuff I review.

Still, I enjoy writing reviews and I'm getting better at it, and I'd be able to write a review or two peer week.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:40 pm 

BuriedUnborn wrote:
Kinda late to the party, but:

I'm not a great writer, I tend to repeat a lot of words and maybe have a couple of grammar errors here and there because English isn't my first language even though I'm somewhat fluent at it, but I'd be willing to review stuff, anything.

I don't know if you're searching for people outside of the US anyway, and if the site has any sort of interest in albums from lesser-known bands, specially from Argentina and South America, or old releases by obscure bands, which is most of the stuff I review.

Still, I enjoy writing reviews and I'm getting better at it, and I'd be able to write a review or two peer week.

We are 100% ok with all of that stuff. As far as English not being your first language, we do have an editor that would likely clean that stuff up. If you're still interested, go ahead and send an email to [email protected]. Give him the run-down.

Reply to topic