* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:56 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
mike_87 wrote:
Anyone know any good black metal bands from the Czech republic? a death metal band came up from there on my radio earlier and havent really researched much into bands from there.

maniac fucking butcher man! some would say they are the essence of traditional "2nd wave" BM (at least aesthetically ;)).
seriously, they were a great band with a big discography, check them out. their side project dark storm is noteworthy too (I'd recommend their four lucan emperors EP, as you are into blasty BM if I recall correctly).
then there's inferno, whose discog is divided into two eras basically. first half is more traditional pagan black metal (way better than their second era IMO), second is more esoteric/anti-cosmic/whatever stuff. they basically changed a lot with the departure of their guiatrist azazel. check out silva nigra too.
if you're into more modern, esoteric BM, try cult of fire.

edit: I suppose you are aware of the old masters master's hammer from czechia? first two albums are essential.

I have to disagree here, Inferno went from being just another pagan black metal band to one of the best atmospheric esoteric black metal bands around and their guitar work on their latest stuff is mind-blowing.

Definitely check this one:

https://pureinferno.bandcamp.com/album/ ... -greatness

Last edited by Gravetemplar on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:02 am 

Mellifleur wrote:
I believe tank genocide and granatas have shrieking vocals.

So, I've been blasting "Table of Uncreation" by Havohej, the album that was shockingly snubbed in the AOTY poll right here on the metal archives (no thanks to me because I didn't vote :( ) and I have concluded that it is extremely excellent with its use of noise in black metal combined with good musicianship. I've heard a fair few black metal albums that use noise and industrial sounds, but most go for the extremely overblown rawness which usually translates to having no sensibilities about what makes an interesting noise recording (or black metal recording for that matter). Do you folks know any good recs of bands that combine black metal and noise which demonstrate some skill in the fair arts of musical performance and composition? I know this might be a tall order. Thanks!

Caina come to mind but the quality of their stuff varies a lot and I'm not sure where to start. It also depends what your definition of noise is, if you're looking for something that has noise influence in the vein of Glenn Branca check the last Imperial Triumphant LP.

Also black/death bands like Knelt Rote and Hissing but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

The last Altar of Plagues had a lot of noises/sonic textures going on in the background but it's a very modern record.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:26 am 

regarding inferno, just no.

if there's ever been a cockamamie bandwagon jump in all of BM, it was definitely inferno. that move was the biggest disservice to themselves ever. they have deteriorated musically, lyrically, all around aesthetically and, most of all, in terms of credibility. they even started recording their shit at necromorbus. can't get lower than that.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:01 am 

into_the_pit wrote:

if there's ever been a cockamamie bandwagon jump in all of BM, it was definitely inferno. that move was the biggest disservice to themselves ever. they have deteriorated musically, lyrically, all around aesthetically and, most of all, in terms of credibility. they even started recording their shit at necromorbus. can't get lower than that.

It'd be a "bandwagon jump" if they weren't playing an already irrelevant and overplayed genre like pagan black metal is nowadays. What they do now is fairly more complex and interesting imho but I don't think we're going to agree. Not sure what the problem with Necromorbus is either, he's recorded a ton of great stuff.

Karpanians
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:35 pm 

Quote:
Shrieking could mean anything. Can you give some examples?

Something like Burzum's vocals, but higher pitched.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:28 pm 

Crusher_of_Spirits wrote:
Quote:
Shrieking could mean anything. Can you give some examples?

Something like Burzum's vocals, but higher pitched.

Gris - Il etait...

Karpanians
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:39 pm 

Quote:
Gris - Il etait...

Thanks for the rec

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:33 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
into_the_pit wrote:

It'd be a "bandwagon jump" if they weren't playing an already irrelevant and overplayed genre like pagan black metal is nowadays. What they do now is fairly more complex and interesting imho but I don't think we're going to agree. Not sure what the problem with Necromorbus is either, he's recorded a ton of great stuff.

Complex is overrated, just like Inferno. Never was, nor will be anything worthwhile.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:17 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
into_the_pit wrote:

Complex is overrated, just like Inferno. Never was, nor will be anything worthwhile.

Sure, whatever you say.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:41 pm 

Heya!

I'm looking for some powerful and riffy warrior/battle black metal in vein of Immortal/Demonaz/Abbath...You know, that kind of music for chopping wood or cracking the stones!

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:48 pm 

hm, warrior black metal. this term always makes me think of early graveland, think thousand swords. there's a lot of stuff in that vein, a lot from poland in fact. try werewolf (!), infernum, veles, maybe gontyna kry. arkona (POL), their early material is mandatory anyway. bilskirnir from germany. maybe even goatmoon, who knows? if you want to go for the more epic, synth-driven stuff, try falkenbach.
then there's this AMAZING obscure one-off demo "fabulae" by the german band the seventh gate. this to me is the epitome of "warrior black metal". not sure if it's available online, hit me up if you want a rip.
I'm not sure if any of these make you go out and root up trees though. I may be totally off here.
if you're looking for more immortalesque stuff, I'm sure you're aware of "I" already.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:42 pm 

The first thing, that came to my mind after hearing "warrior black metal", is "Hail the Warrior" by Valhalla Bound. Like Ildjarn, but also triumphant.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:54 am 

Xymosys wrote:
Heya!

I'm looking for some powerful and riffy warrior/battle black metal in vein of Immortal/Demonaz/Abbath...You know, that kind of music for chopping wood or cracking the stones!

I think you're looking for stuff like Rimfrost, Vimur, Vredehammer, Nordjevel, Avslut. For more of the raw "prideful" sounding stuff maybe Angantyr, Elegiac, Mavorim, Nocternity.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:01 pm 

Thx guys! Plenty of material to digest!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:32 pm 

^Oh I forgot I'd probably add Lord Belial, especially their Unholy Crusade, Angelgrinder and Revelation albums.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:20 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
Heya!

Death Fortress - Triumph of the Undying

Havukruunu - Kelle Surut Soi

+Vimur, Nordjevel, etc. as already mentioned

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:27 am 

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:57 am 

Anyone know bands who incorporate piano like Helheim, especially that one song on the debut album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qG-Hp2kJRM

There's a lot of artists who use piano to augment atmosphere but it's usually really basic and not so interesting. But this song is such a great little, creepy, mediaeval-sounding gem which fits into the album so well.

Steel_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:51 pm 

IcyScythe wrote:
Looking for anything like Mayhem's more progressive albums, especially Esoteric Warfare. I like that although it's fairly odd it's very much still riff based (unlike some of Blut Aus Bird's more out there stuff for instance). Whole album's riffs just rip.

Sorry for the late reply, don't check this forum often. I discovered this great avant-garde black metal band called NEDXXX in december. Not much is known about this band. No one knows who the members are or where they are from. Musically, it reminds me alot of Abigor's later work, combined with some later Deathspell Omega. The self-titled debut by NEDXXX was one of the highlights for me when it comes to black metal (I'm a big fan of experimental and avant-garde black). NEDXXX is signed on the Norma Evangelium Diaboli label, just like DsO. The story goes that the band exists of members of other bands signed to the NoEvDia label.

Also check out Abigor's Time Is The Sulphur In The Veins Of The Saint ;)

Like stated some pages before, you should also check Dodheimsgard's A Umbra Omega ;)

Other experimental black metal bands I discovered in 2019 were Laster and Grey Aura.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:35 am 

Xenophon wrote:
Xymosys wrote:
Heya!

Death Fortress - Triumph of the Undying

Havukruunu - Kelle Surut Soi

+Vimur, Nordjevel, etc. as already mentioned

Don't forget about In Battle

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:56 pm 

If someone can recommend me anything that can be described as "symphonic norsecore" (ie. Limbonic art's Ad Noctum) I would appreciate it

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:57 pm 

quickbeam wrote:
Anyone know bands who incorporate piano like Helheim, especially that one song on the debut album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qG-Hp2kJRM

There's a lot of artists who use piano to augment atmosphere but it's usually really basic and not so interesting. But this song is such a great little, creepy, mediaeval-sounding gem which fits into the album so well.

Try the album vacuum by Pensees nocturnes.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:43 pm 

I'm trying to remember the name of a band. I think it has members from Eigenlicht and/or Fauna, they sound like Eigenlicht but without the keyboards. They only have one EP/demo, they are not on thr archives as far as I know and their name is related to Luminis/Lume or something along those lines. Thanks in advance!

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:44 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I'm trying to remember the name of a band. I think it has members from Eigenlicht and/or Fauna, they sound like Eigenlicht but without the keyboards. They only have one EP/demo, they are not on thr archives as far as I know and their name is related to Luminis/Lume or something along those lines. Thanks in advance!

https://ignis-metal.bandcamp.com/album/ ... tes-naught

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:42 am 

blackmantram wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

https://ignis-metal.bandcamp.com/album/ ... tes-naught

That's it, thanks! Not sure why I couldn't find it.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:38 pm 

Well. checking their MA page there's no members added so basically no way to find them other than by their name. I just happen to know them.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:22 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
Well. checking their MA page there's no members added so basically no way to find them other than by their name. I just happen to know them.

Yeah, that's how I searched them and it lead me to believe they weren't on the archives. I hope they eventually release an album.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:22 pm 

quickbeam wrote:

It never clicked with me, but Obtained Enslavement's albums are very highly rated here in MA and it does seem to fit the bill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Krok-2Cac0

You've also Stefan Kozak's projects -all who involve a heavy use of keyboards-, Eikenskaden being the one to feature the piano the most. I think, haven't listened to everything he's ever made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spWHEeIUPr0

Or perhaps try Grausamkeit. It's a bit weirder though, be forewarned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8iPJiM2pRM

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:35 pm 

I'm looking for an album I heard on youtube a few years ago. The album cover had the entrance to a mausoleum with statues or engravings on either side and pitch black on the inside. It was nicely done painted style artwork. I think it had 4-5 longer songs on it. Black/doom style IIRC. I've trolled through the entire history of a few black metal channels and I haven't been able to spot it.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:40 pm 

quickbeam wrote:

Not bands, but two more songs like it are "Weeping Midwintertears" by Abigor and "Gundali" by Sigh.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:57 am 

Thanks all, interesting stuff!

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:30 pm 

definitely try grausamkeit and related projects (also the "seelenmorast" compilation). in my book his most stunning release is pink green 666. you might also want to try trollheim, even though it's not metal at all.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:31 pm 

The singer of a local band that got famous for their bass player cutting off a girl's head did an EP with all synths and black metal vocals, the project is called Iwein, I don't know if it's possible to find nowadays and also it was terrible.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:07 am 

droneriot wrote:
The singer of a local band that got famous for their bass player cutting off a girl's head did an EP with all synths and black metal vocals, the project is called Iwein, I don't know if it's possible to find nowadays and also it was terrible.

Ah, the old Carpe Choptem.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:23 pm 

doing a bit of a country by country black metal band research thing lately...if anyone has noticed in my previous post. so the place I am thinking of this time is Mexico...anyone know any good black metal bands from there?

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:44 pm 

definitely xibalba (or xibalba itzaes, as they've been called for a few years). their debut album ah dzam poop ek is mandatory "2nd wave darkthrone worship". can't comment on their later stuff except I didn't like their 2010 demo.

also if you're into black metal/dark ambient fusion, try funereal moon. they've been around forever, churning out releases by releases, but nobody really seems to be into/talk about them.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:53 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
doing a bit of a country by country black metal band research thing lately...if anyone has noticed in my previous post. so the place I am thinking of this time is Mexico...anyone know any good black metal bands from there?

Hacavitz (black/death metal). Their Metztli Obscura album is outstanding.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:57 pm 

kytokinesis wrote:
I'm looking for an album I heard on youtube a few years ago. The album cover had the entrance to a mausoleum with statues or engravings on either side and pitch black on the inside. It was nicely done painted style artwork. I think it had 4-5 longer songs on it. Black/doom style IIRC. I've trolled through the entire history of a few black metal channels and I haven't been able to spot it.

Could it be Suspiral - Delve into the Mysteries of Transcendence? (This one's black/death though, not black/doom and only has 3 songs.)

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:08 am 

kytokinesis wrote:

Looks like something that could have been painted by Beksinski. This artist's catalogue has been systematically plundered by the metal scene for about 15 years or so...

Elysian blaze is a Black Doom band whose coverarts have a similar aesthetic, but it's photos and not paintings or drawings.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:45 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
definitely xibalba (or xibalba itzaes, as they've been called for a few years). their debut album ah dzam poop ek is mandatory "2nd wave darkthrone worship". can't comment on their later stuff except I didn't like their 2010 demo.

also if you're into black metal/dark ambient fusion, try funereal moon. they've been around forever, churning out releases by releases, but nobody really seems to be into/talk about them.

Poop, haha

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214 ... 231  Next